Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Blue_Goat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Right orbit seems to not register at times when a hard shot is made. I've read taking the mylar off helps? Why? I'd prefer not to take it off. Any other ways to get this shot more consistent?

I appreciate the help.

#2 6 years ago

You may want to extend the Mylar so the ball has more time to settle before the switch

#3 6 years ago

Ok thanks. Will give that a try. Is the mylar really creating enough air for the ball to miss the switch??

#4 6 years ago

I'm not really sure. I haven't had time to really investigate it. It happenes to me every once and a while. I am not as bothered too much by it. I did make my own playfield protector out of removable vinyl for the areas that weren't protected. Maybe that helped some.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Ok thanks. Will give that a try. Is the mylar really creating enough air for the ball to miss the switch??

That strip of mylar is why your right orbit shots aren't registering. Take that off and that shot will register 100% of the time. It's very simple to take off, takes 5 minutes from start to finish and then you have a much better playing game.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That strip of mylar is why your right orbit shots aren't registering. Take that off and that shot will register 100% of the time. It's very simple to take off, takes 5 minutes from start to finish and then you have a much better playing game.

I'm having the same problem. Where exactly is this mylar you speak of?

#7 6 years ago

Don't know why the mylar would cause not to register. The mylar protects the playfield so isn't there another solution

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Mobsync:

I'm having the same problem. Where exactly is this mylar you speak of?

The Mylar is between the ectopic goggles and the switch that isn't registering at the top of the playfield. It's probably about an 8" inch long strip or so.

#9 6 years ago

That little strip of mylar causes big issues. It causes the ball to jump and rattle in the orbit. At times it will lift the ball up enough to keep the switch from registering or make it so the ball can't make the full orbit when it's supposed to.

I have an LE. My first playfield never had the mylar and I never had switch or rattle issues. My replacement playfield game with it installed and had all sorts of issues. I took the mylar off and things are back to working 100% just like my original playfield.

#10 6 years ago

Question..... why would a flat piece of thin mylar make it not register?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Don't know why the mylar would cause not to register. The mylar protects the playfield so isn't there another solution

I don't know why it happens either, seems very strange but it is definitely 100% the reason your shots are not registering. As far as protection, I don't even know why it's there because I don't see any reason why this would be a high wear area more than anywhere else. Even if it did wear in that area, you can't see it anyway because it's all covered up with stuff so I'm not worried about it. That's just my thoughts on it though so you do whatever you choose to do because it's your game not mine. I know that I like my game 1,000 times better now since removing that piece of Mylar.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Question..... why would a flat piece of thin mylar make it not register?

Hoby the only thing I can figure is it's making the ball jump up over the switch on super fast shots through there. That sounds crazy I know, but that's the only explanation really that I can think of.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from wisemanbba:

Yes.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The Mylar is between the ectopic goggles and the switch that isn't registering at the top of the playfield. It's probably about an 8" inch long strip or so.

What's the best way to remove it?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Mobsync:

What's the best way to remove it?

You can pull it up by hand. Get a fingernail under it and then some Goo Gone to take off any residual glue. Goo Gone...NOT Goof Off.

#16 6 years ago

Lmk if this works when you try. If so I'll go with the rest and pull mine too

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Lmk if this works when you try. If so I'll go with the rest and pull mine too

Hoby I can tell you with 100% certainty that it definitely works and will make that switch register 100% of the time.

#18 6 years ago

I removed the Mylar last week,it definitely made a huge improvement. Although it still doesn't register on fast perfect shots about 10 percent of the time . Maybe a bit more even. Not sure why it still does it as others it has solved it 100 percent. Any other ideas ??

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

I removed the Mylar last week,it definitely made a huge improvement. Although it still doesn't register on fast perfect shots about 10 percent of the time . Maybe a bit more even. Not sure why it still does it as others it has solved it 100 percent. Any other ideas ??

Adjust the switch to make it more sensitive

#20 6 years ago

Is this the same for the pro? I've always had issues with hard right orbit shots

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You can pull it up by hand. Get a fingernail under it and then some Goo Gone to take off any residual glue. Goo Gone...NOT Goof Off.

I'd freeze it off first before removing the glue. Giving it a shot with an upside down compressed air can will freeze the glue and the mylar peels off easy-peasy without any worry about pulling up clear or ink off the playfield.

#22 6 years ago

It definitely fixes the issue.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd freeze it off first before removing the glue. Giving it a shot with an upside down compressed air can will freeze the glue and the mylar peels off easy-peasy without any worry about pulling up clear or ink off the playfield.

Is this really a concern for Mylar that's been applied for such a short period of time?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is this really a concern for Mylar that's been applied for such a short period of time?

Glue is glue. Better safe than sorry.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

It definitely fixes the issue.

Yep. I just did it and it makes quite a difference!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Mobsync:

Yep. I just did it and it makes quite a difference!

How did you remove it?

Should help the OP when he goes to do his.

#27 6 years ago

Man, I love pinside.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How did you remove it?
Should help the OP when he goes to do his.

Fingernail got it started then gently pulled it off with needle nose pliers. Then the wife used Goo Gone to clean up my leavings.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Mobsync:

Fingernail got it started then gently pulled it off with needle nose pliers. Then the wife used Goo Gone to clean up my leavings.

Same here (except for the wife part--won't let her near it after she tore an art blade!). The mylar came up really easy, but maybe that's because the game is only a couple of months old. If that area could use protection--not sure--was thinking of trying cling vinyl with some wax (comes right up if need be) a bit further away from the switch.

#30 6 years ago

My GB Premium was delivered NIB in mid-October 2016, and my machine doesn't have the mentioned mylar in the upper right orbit area. Interesting....

#31 6 years ago

I had this issue on my Pro, and made a plastic to put above the lane to keep the ball from skipping over it. Got the idea from another thread on the same topic. Registers every time now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-right-orbit?hl=billrz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.