Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

The Premium in this case is absolutely worth the extra money. The Pro is still a great game so not knocking it at all, but the Premium is just amazing. Magna slings are freakin awesome, nicer playfield toys, echo goggles, killer light show, subway ramp is pure awesomeness, much better ramps, etc. The magna slings and subway ramp alone are worth the difference imo, and the rest is just a bonus for you.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I would get the premium it has more fun features but if you are getting the game for a tournament get the pro because it is less random.

Less random?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I went for a pro as well for pretty much the same reasons. Not a fan of the Magna slings. If you don't see it on future pins there's a reason for that. Prefer the flow of the gameplay on the pro as well.

Magna slings obviously are not for every pin and are not the way of the future, but they fit this pin and theme perfectly and are great fun. Magna slings are the sh*t for horror or ghostly themed games. I have gotten a bunch of entertainment and laughs out of them.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

i am not disappointed with my pro. I have three friends with an LE and i like my pro better the LE's looks nicer! And allthough the mag slings are cool, I like the predicability of the standard slings. I love the ecto goggles but for the price difference i can live with out them.The pro offers a very similar game experience. if your the type that needs the LE tag on a game then go LE
if you can't live with out ecto goggles and mag slings the get premium or Le but the Pro offeres just as much Fun!

No reason to be disappointed because the Pro model is great. My WD and GOT Pros are also great and I will never be disappointed in them. GB Pro is a fine machine. The new Aerosmith Pro looks like it's going to be another nice Pro game.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I hear what you're saying...it's a neat feature for sure but the unpredictable nature of the slings is a turn off for me.

Not me, I laugh my azz off at the things they do. They don't give many unfair ball drains either surprisingly. They just aren't good for a tournament game but that's ok it's nice to switch it up occasionally and the magna slings do just that.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I'm working on the same decision right now, with the debate being way harder than I expected. I also have the third option of none.
I stopped at a place I knew had the Pro tonight and played it for about an hour to try to help my decision. In short...
The Pro's art package is by far the best of any version to me. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to Ghostbusters, and the art on the Premium and LE I simply don't like half as much.
I may be a weird-o (I am), but I like the weird ramp on the Pro. Having said that, the Pro that I was playing, the ball kept getting hung up on the switches if you hit it up there from the right entry, which was annoying. The overall light show and sound package is outstanding on each. The Premium I also like the weird ramp on, but I like the right ramp just a bit less than the "same ramp entry". I need time on a Premium to understand the rest that I like or don't about it.
Having said that, I'm still figuring out if it is a great game for me or not. I mean, I feel like I should own one because I have so much Ghostbusters merch that I intend to showcase in my gameroom, it seems like a lost opportunity not to have the pin transition the room together, but I think what bothers me about it is the game is extremely, extremely right flipper heavy. The left flipper basically has the right orbit, and... the ramp if you can hit it, and that's about it to shoot for. The right flipper has everything else. On top of that, the game is tough to trap the ball, and it seems to feed the left flipper a lot, meaning that you have limited shots to shoot for and a lot of the left flipper misses are really dangerous.
I bring this up because you may want to try to do some searching to play one first. After an hour with the game, even considering myself one of the biggest Ghostbusters fans in the world, I'm no closer to fully knowing if the game is for me or not. If it's at all possible, this seems like a good one to get some serious time on before making your call... I hope to spend a few more hours in the next week doing just that!

Definitely spend some time on both machines because it's not for everyone. I love my GB Premium but I'd be a liar if I said it isn't frustrating at times. You will have a lot more bad games than good, but man the good ones are fun. I can definitely see why a novice player would probably hate Ghostbusters though for sure. JT didn't make the game very fun for kids and noobs that's for sure.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Have you tried the center post mod or longer flipper bats?
I'm normally not a fan of center posts, but it definitely makes GB more fun. The gap is just too wide.

No I haven't but I do think this would have been a much better game with a center post or a normal flipper gap. I'm kinda weird about keeping the game the way it was designed. I shouldn't be that way really but if I get a killer high score I want to be able to say it was with a game that hasn't been modified. There's nothing wrong with doing that though, to each their own I guess.

2 weeks later
#34 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I got a chance last week to play Neo's GB Premium for a while, and... It won me over. Here's why for me...
Now, preface this to say first that Neo adjusted his flippers on his Premium to be at a bit of a higher resting angle. This may be my biggest reason for the difference that I have in my opinion of it, because it completely changes the left flipper shots. My experience with the Pro, the left flipper basically had the right orbit and that was it. On Neo's machine, you can backhand the ramp, the shot to the pops, the Ghost target, take a regular shot to the orbit and even sometimes hit the right ramp when you are trying to. This completely changed the game, as the strategy opened up so much further.
If this was done to the Pro, I may like it just about as much. Since the Pros that I have played didn't play like this, I can't say.
Additionally...
The Ecto Goggles are gimmicky, but fine.
Slimer sliding back and forth is equally gimmicky, but fine. I don't much care for him above the pops with his backside facing me and not moving, so I'll actually give this one to the pro, but it's really close.
The right ramp is better. No hang ups, and Neo's was easy enough to hit that it felt like it was another shot on that side of the playfield.
The left ramp with the Subway is really cool.
The Magna Slings are really cool. Yes, they don't act like regular slings. But every time it threw the ball down toward my flippers, it felt like I could have saved it with a well timed bump or a better placed shot. Like the magnets in Iron Man that people liked to complain about at first, they are controllable, although it's a bit less so since they are closer to the flippers... BUT, regular slings don't usually do what I want them to do anyway, so there is that. I dig when they change what they do a bit too.
Overall, it may be just because the flipper alignment was so much better, but it felt like a great game, whereas the Pros I have played feel like a pretty good game. None of the upgrades themselves I think justify the money, but it just seems like the Premium is slightly better in the way of being "there".

Nice review! I actually feel like the Magna Slings, subway ramp, ecto googles, playfield toys, and the better light show do make the Premium worth the extra money. I normally wouldnt buy a Premium under any circumstances but this game I felt was special and I splurged on it.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Is there a lighting difference on Premium??
The Premium is pretty sweet. If I some extra "pinball money", I would've gone that route. Pro is kick ass as it is. I'm really enjoying this game!

I think the lighting actually is the same on GB. I was thinking the Premium had color changing Inserts and the Pro didn't but now that I think about it the lighting is probably the same.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

I would buy a Pro. Just the comments that if you want a league or tournament machine it would have to be the Pro. I really like the subway ramp on the premium and the actual ball locks but the stupid magna slings kill it for me. Thats why it cant be a tournament game. On the LE i have had the ball go to the magna slings and then get thrown right down the middle of the flippers multiple times. Its just frustrating to get cheated out of a good game because of the randomness of the slings(cant really nudge because you have no idea how its going to get slung around the playfield, atleast with normal slings they are predictable to a certain degree). If you could turn off the magna slings and have it normal slings i would vote for the premium.

"The stupid magna slings kill it for me?"

You cannot be serious lol. Those stupid magna slings are effing awesome! They are also very fair too. They rarely dump a ball down the middle on you, and I'd say they probably save your ass as more than they screw you. The magna slings alone are worth upgrading to the Premium model!

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from jbp8653:

OK guys thanks for all the replies! Going with a premium from Flipper Fidelity. Getting his speaker up grade as well. Should be here in about a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, you made a fantastic choice! One thing that you need to do that is critical is turn down the trough eject power to 176. I think that is the lowest setting. If you don't do that, you may very well damage your shooter lane. I would also turn down the left scoop eject to 22 because on the factory setting mine would shoot it right between the flippers every time.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Good choice. I don't like GB, that's no secret. However, between the two, I like the premium much better than the Pro.

Absolutely, GB Premium is an amazing game! The OP will keep it for life I bet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-pro-or-premium?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.