Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Who-Dey
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 7 years ago

I'm working on the same decision right now, with the debate being way harder than I expected. I also have the third option of none.

I stopped at a place I knew had the Pro tonight and played it for about an hour to try to help my decision. In short...

The Pro's art package is by far the best of any version to me. I'm a huge nerd when it comes to Ghostbusters, and the art on the Premium and LE I simply don't like half as much.

I may be a weird-o (I am), but I like the weird ramp on the Pro. Having said that, the Pro that I was playing, the ball kept getting hung up on the switches if you hit it up there from the right entry, which was annoying. The overall light show and sound package is outstanding on each. The Premium I also like the weird ramp on, but I like the right ramp just a bit less than the "same ramp entry". I need time on a Premium to understand the rest that I like or don't about it.

Having said that, I'm still figuring out if it is a great game for me or not. I mean, I feel like I should own one because I have so much Ghostbusters merch that I intend to showcase in my gameroom, it seems like a lost opportunity not to have the pin transition the room together, but I think what bothers me about it is the game is extremely, extremely right flipper heavy. The left flipper basically has the right orbit, and... the ramp if you can hit it, and that's about it to shoot for. The right flipper has everything else. On top of that, the game is tough to trap the ball, and it seems to feed the left flipper a lot, meaning that you have limited shots to shoot for and a lot of the left flipper misses are really dangerous.

I bring this up because you may want to try to do some searching to play one first. After an hour with the game, even considering myself one of the biggest Ghostbusters fans in the world, I'm no closer to fully knowing if the game is for me or not. If it's at all possible, this seems like a good one to get some serious time on before making your call... I hope to spend a few more hours in the next week doing just that!

2 weeks later
#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Definitely spend some time on both machines because it's not for everyone. I love my GB Premium but I'd be a liar if I said it isn't frustrating at times. You will have a lot more bad games than good, but man the good ones are fun. I can definitely see why a novice player would probably hate Ghostbusters though for sure. JT didn't make the game very fun for kids and noobs that's for sure.

I got a chance last week to play Neo's GB Premium for a while, and... It won me over. Here's why for me...

Now, preface this to say first that Neo adjusted his flippers on his Premium to be at a bit of a higher resting angle. This may be my biggest reason for the difference that I have in my opinion of it, because it completely changes the left flipper shots. My experience with the Pro, the left flipper basically had the right orbit and that was it. On Neo's machine, you can backhand the ramp, the shot to the pops, the Ghost target, take a regular shot to the orbit and even sometimes hit the right ramp when you are trying to. This completely changed the game, as the strategy opened up so much further.

If this was done to the Pro, I may like it just about as much. Since the Pros that I have played didn't play like this, I can't say.

Additionally...

The Ecto Goggles are gimmicky, but fine.

Slimer sliding back and forth is equally gimmicky, but fine. I don't much care for him above the pops with his backside facing me and not moving, so I'll actually give this one to the pro, but it's really close.

The right ramp is better. No hang ups, and Neo's was easy enough to hit that it felt like it was another shot on that side of the playfield.

The left ramp with the Subway is really cool.

The Magna Slings are really cool. Yes, they don't act like regular slings. But every time it threw the ball down toward my flippers, it felt like I could have saved it with a well timed bump or a better placed shot. Like the magnets in Iron Man that people liked to complain about at first, they are controllable, although it's a bit less so since they are closer to the flippers... BUT, regular slings don't usually do what I want them to do anyway, so there is that. I dig when they change what they do a bit too.

Overall, it may be just because the flipper alignment was so much better, but it felt like a great game, whereas the Pros I have played feel like a pretty good game. None of the upgrades themselves I think justify the money, but it just seems like the Premium is slightly better in the way of being "there".

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

Thats why it cant be a tournament game.

I actually spoke with one of the top tournament players while I was working on making my decision. While I'm not a tournament player much myself, I play for points always, so if there was an issue in the Premium that made it not fun for tournaments, I knew it would drive me nuts.

He told me that both versions work really well for tournaments. I asked him which one he preferred, and he told me that he was getting a Premium delivered later that week.

I specifically asked about the Magna Slings, and he said that you can control if the ball gets in them, and you just have to nudge differently. After playing it myself, I feel like the Magna Sling complaints are VERY similar to how everyone hated the Monger on Iron Man when it came out because it was "impossible to stop it", yet if you just aimed differently, you could control it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-pro-or-premium?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.