IMG_0284 (resized).JPG
IMG_0278 (resized).JPG
IMG_0273 (resized).JPG
IMG_0277 (resized).JPG
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1272 Cliffs install instructions for GB Posted by Cliffy (7 years ago)

Post #1359 Photos of the Stern upgraded side rails installed Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #1739 details on the "mystery coils" located in the backbox Posted by chucksmith (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

I paid up a while ago. Was told end of July, but who knows! It ships when it ships, right?

2 months later
#318 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

I've been waiting to get my GB premium (deposit paid couple days after it was announced), but I am really on the fence whether I want a GB now or just tell my distributor to hold off and get one from some later run...

Yeah, I'm at the point where I might just cancel, or at the very least tell my distrib to put a hold on shipping mine until there's a code update to see if the game has improved its fun factor. Just went to a local place to play GBLE a few more times, and it's just not fun in its current form...and throw in all the possible defects the game might arrive with, do I really want to bother? Might be best to wait a year and get one then, or just buy a used one locally....or just skip it, I don't need another game lol

1 week later
#450 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Any feedback on the code yet? Do we know how deep this game is or isn't?

There has been tons of code talk.

It's deep-ish in the sense that it has a lot of content and things to keep you busy - unfortunately as it stands the code makes it very punishing, repetitive and difficult to advance through the modes, as you have to spell GHOST to start Slimer, then defeat Slimer to light a mode, then hit the shot to start a mode - then complete complete the mode to advance to the next. If you drain or time out, you have to go through that entire process to start the same mode again, rather than advancing to the next like all other games. Due to this mode logic, I find the game to be repetitive and not very fun, and have put my Premium order on hold until it's resolved with an update.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I wonder if there's any chance they will change the code so the modes are non linear?

Zero chance, but they might change it to be less punishing/repetitive. Example - an option allowing the mode to continue into the next ball if drained, or an option disabling completion requirements.

#457 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I prefer the way it is currently because it doesn't trap you within a mode (and ladder) and gives you the freedom to make more decisions when you are plunging the ball. It would really feel redundant if you got stuck in a single mode for the entire game. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to make it a menu option?

Not sure I follow. The way it is now you're currently stuck in one mode for most of the game. The modes are still timed. Having it continue after a drain would continue your timer. And it would be nice if it timed out, you're done with it and on to the next.

#462 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

They could just auto-progress through the ladder and be noted as started but not completed, and, like SOS on Tron for example, allow you to play one of the wizard modes if not all previous are completed, then run you through the unfinished ones again, with the big wizard only available if they are all complete.

Exactly, that would be brilliant! A wizard reward or something to reward the skill
of completion, but don't punish the player with repetition for not completing.

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I don't think the mode ladders are long enough to support this. if you only had to start the modes you'd reach "WCWSWKIA" nearly every game as mode ladders are only 2-4 levels deep.

But what if you didn't get that unless you completed modes? Sort of like how you don't get elf gifts in LOTR unless you complete modes. LOTR doesn't force you to play the same mode over and over until you complete. That's what I'm advocating. Prize for completion (wizard access, multipliers, etc), move on with the story if you don't. Or, an option in the settings for completion/no completion. Just SOMETHING - as it stands it's just too unbalanced in terms of design/content. I'm not the only one who doesn't think the current rules are fun - there are plenty of posts from others about it - although I'm the one singled out for the opinion. There's a reason the 100's of mode based pins in existence don't make you repeat modes until you "cycle" back around. You want the player to feel like they're advancing and seeing new content, animation, and humor. Currently that's locked out from anyone except the best of players, and even they can barely advance.

1 week later
#718 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wow this is pretty disappointing that premiums are still suffering from this stuff.

Yeah, only the more expensive versions should have the shitty playfields

2 weeks later
#1011 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Looks Like October builds have issues as well. Above post from Hey Stern are you serious thread. Damn, I was wanting one too, looks like I will be waiting some time now, before that happens, a play field protector was even installed before the first ball touched the play field too.

I played that one. Also saw another Prem on location in Portland with ghosting inserts. I've cancelled my order. I'm out!!!

#1067 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

The game just looks too cool

They key word is "looks"

#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from Deafcon:

Upgrade kit:
http://pinball-universe.de/ghostbusters-pu-upgrade-kit
Pinball life imports it, they look to be sold out right now.

If anyone in the US wants one now, hit me up. I've got one that I don't need anymore.

#1121 7 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Is it because you're not buying a GB now? Lol

Yup! I'm out.

Seeing two new Premiums with ghosting was the final straw.

#1163 7 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Forgive my ignorance and the Seinfeldian nature of my question, but what's the deal with shooter lane wear? Does it impact game play, and if not, why should I care?

It's an indication of poor quality. I have many Sterns that have had many years of play, and the shooter lanes look pretty good. A game with a couple plays should not have the shooter lane chewed up already.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#1362 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Many times, they were just waiting on the new playfields from Churchill and my LE was gunna be built.
I just sent another note to my distro this morning.. fingers crossed for some good news!

Plenty of Premiums going out the door...amazing you don't have your LE yet.

#1379 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Mine arrived yesterday, ordered April 1st.
Game looks great , playfield looks fantastic.
PF date stamped November 3rd

We can't tell due to the potato quality pics

2 weeks later
#1535 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Is it me, or does it seems like every Stern game needs something extra to make the game play correctly?

This is what happens when you just build and ship, with no real world testing.

#1537 7 years ago
Quoted from GreatBug:

So I guess we want brand new pins both perfect and cheap.

No reason a game shouldn't work well and play well. Stern used to real world test their games. They'd put them out on location before release and make changes and adjustments based on ball traps, defects, damage, player feedback, etc. they'd make these changes before mass production. Now, they go into production before testing, and owners become the Guinea pigs. That's why Slimer's mech was redesigned after release. That's why the bracket by the captive ball was changed. That's why there's now a new protector for the Ecto Goggles. Not to mention the playfield clearcoat issues! Product testing is essential to any product, especially a complex mechanical one.

#1547 7 years ago
Quoted from GreatBug:

I understand the desire, and recognize the reality that the pin customer pool is small, the pin manufacturer pool is small, and pin production volume is small. We are in a specialty toy market, not a crowded consumer electronics marketplace. We are lucky we have the choices that we do.

They're thrilled to have customers like you who will fork over $7k for untested, unfinished games.

They're selling more games and making more money now than ever....yet the quality of their games of yesteryear was way higher - and collectors were complaining about the quality BACK THEN! what's next, games with cardboard cabinets? "oh it's a small market, we should be lucky!"

#1558 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone have tips on making those damn Mult targets less stiff? It's really the only "issue" I have right now.

My Iron Man's targets have a bend forward ...they were like this from the factory and I've never had one airball off those targets. Has anyone tried to get their GB targets to bend more like this ?

2 weeks later
#1633 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Yeah but didn't Lyman end up doing most of the actual programming and polishing of the game? I could be mistaken but I recall people saying Lyman had taken a Tron home to code and polish because he loved the title. Wouldn't surprise me if Lonnie was lead and sat there twiddling his thumbs while watching Lyman do the actual work

Back in 2010, Stern was trying to make games cheaper to make to accomplish 3 things: More profit per machine, ease of operation for operators, and easier rules for location players to understand. Lonnie and Lyman worked together on Iron Man to create a "formula" that would then be used on a bunch of games - if you look at IM, Avatar, Big Buck Hunter & Rolling Stones...they essentially have the same rules and even somewhat similar design theory. Easy to understand, fast for quick ball times, and some nuance for good players. This allowed them to keep cranking out games with one designer and one in-house programmer. Lyman took the extra step with Iron Man and Tron to give them that extra little polish we all love.

Once George (Transformers) and Steve (ACDC) came back, formula design was out the door again in an attempt to make games deep again...Lonnie and Lyman were on their own and the formula code was out the door.

1 week later
#1659 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Get both, put them "side-by-each", praise them highly in spite of some minor flaws

LOL...minor.

#1661 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Yeah, minor...just like the Hobbit.
Besides that sorry-ass DIY kit they sent out, there were plenty of "minor" fixes that needed to be done to that machine for it to play better out of the box.
Go ahead, try and find them all! lol

Hey man, if it wasn't for GB being terrible and you needing room for one, I wouldn't have your Hobbit! Thanks, GB!!!

#1663 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If the playfield debacle wouldn't have happened this game would have sold so well it would be unbelievable I bet.

It has sold incredibly well. People
love the theme and art so much, they've ignored the QC, design flaws, and code issues. I jumped ship and know a couple of others that did as well...but we're definitely a minority.

#1665 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I bet it hurt sales more than you think, it made me hold off buying it and I bought a GOT instead. You must not have jumped ship totally if you are still following the GB threads right? You must be still thinking about buying one.

I follow pinball. I find pinball interesting. I don't plan on buying one unless I see evidence that future production runs have taken care of all the physical kinks & the code is finished. If the code merely squashes the bugs and moves on, I'm not interested. If there's a massive update that fundamentally changes how the rules gel & fleshes out the audio package with more humor from the movie - I might be interested again. Based on how Stern rolls, I don't expect any of this to happen. If there's a great code update in a few years, at that point I'll consider a used Pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 103.00
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-share-your-info?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.