Topic Stats

• 1,815 posts
  • 246 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by capguntrooper
  • Topic is favorited by 60 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 328 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5380 (resized).JPG
IMG_5378 (resized).JPG
pic5 (resized).jpg
pic7 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4984 (resized).JPG
IMG_5327 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
drop2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).JPG
IMG_0283 (resized).JPG
IMG_0284 (resized).JPG
IMG_0278 (resized).JPG
IMG_0273 (resized).JPG
IMG_0277 (resized).JPG
IMG_0270 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1272 Cliffs install instructions for GB Posted by Cliffy (3 years ago)

Post #1359 Photos of the Stern upgraded side rails installed Posted by SilverballNut (3 years ago)

Post #1739 details on the "mystery coils" located in the backbox Posted by chucksmith (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chucksmith.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1220 3 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I ordered lollipop rails from Pinball Life. I will post pics of those as they are simply black powdercoat but look nice.

Please post pics of the Pinball Life rails when you can. I'm ready top buy a set but would like to see a photo 1st.

#1224 3 years ago

Update (11/5) : GhostBusters Premium - Gets played every day.

Dates: PF handwritten: 9/20, printed: 9/22 , back cabinet: 9/29
Balls Played: 1631
* No Ghosting
* No shooter lane clear coat issues
* No clear-coat issues
* Everything is still looking good
* Cliffy shooter lane protector should be here soon.

date-1 (resized).jpg
date2b (resized).jpg
date3 (resized).jpg
balls-11-5 (resized).jpg
shoot3 (resized).jpg
no ghosting check 11-5 (resized).jpg
pf-11-5c (resized).jpg

#1237 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Can you tell me what the shipping date was stamped on the box. I ready to purchase.

I still have the box-parts in the garage. I went & looked. There's no date on the box, but I picked mine up at my local distributor. There were 10 in all & all were spoken for. I can say, I got the call when they arrived and picked it up the next day. Purchase date was : 10/4/16.

#1238 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

guys - how sensitive is your Slimer to actually register a FULL hit? Mine never has any issues with a shot head on. When it hits a little on the side, it makes an effect but doesn't register as a full hit. Just confirming this is normal.

That's exactly how mine is now after I adjusted it. Out of the box, Slimer came down for a few seconds then returned. I figured this might not be normal so I played around with it awhile and finally adjusted it. Now a straight on hit clearly counts. A glancing blow makes a small sound effect but does not count. I'm love the way it is now. Lots of Slimer time that I was missing before.

1 week later
#1361 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

Someone was asking what the armor looked like on a premium and couldn't find high res photos.
Here's mine. I'm still installing stuff but almost done.

Thanks for posting the photos of the Stern GB side rails.
I was asking about this a while back. They look really sharp.

#1404 3 years ago

Hey everyone,
I put together this simple slideshow-video to help new owners install the Ghostbusters cliffy shooter lane protector (bottom-right).
The video tries to hit the important points such as clamping and alignment. I hope this it helpful to new users.

#1413 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

rock on!!! game is @#$@#$ amazing! Get your protectors and mods ordered up, they take forever to come

I encourage new GB buyers to contact Cliff (Cliffy's) for the full Ghostbusters-Kit.
I ordered my parts in several batches wasting time & shipping as I came to realize how important they are.
If you need to save some money, order the shooter lane and the drain hole protectors 1st.
These 2 spots wear out fastest and will benefit from the protector on day one.
I've seen wear on the Scolari brothers (not mine yet) so that's next.
Lastly the Left & right ball-drop on the premium need the lane-switch protector.

Also: Reach out to OldPinguy for an Airball protector.

#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

My game was delivered an hour ago. Will unbox this afternoon while my little monster is napping!

Nice. Delivered by FedEx. I trust Fed-Ex over UPS every time not to smash things. What was the seller you purchased from?

#1451 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Oh OK. So the more they get hit by the ball the higher likelihood that the lights stay on and when they are on they act even more crazy?

Right. The Magna-sling lights tell you the mags are active and "could do something" If they are off, you wont see any strange ghostly behavior.

#1532 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

The one I got I still smoothed out some of the lines and polished

Where did you buy this airball protector from ? What did it look like before you modified it?

#1572 3 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Can someone post a pic of the ecto goggles protection plate I've heard about . And how can we get it from Stern?

EG111 (resized).jpg

#1573 3 years ago

Q: Is there a way to see the high score before I enter my Initials ?
I get prompted for my initials but I can only see the score after I enter my initials.

#1581 3 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

The lane guards I have on my site is a must have fix to avoid the ball hop.
Boockstacking mod is very popular, you can see all of my GB mods in this link:
http://modfatherpinball.com/collections/ghost-busters

Can we buy your green-slime ecto goggle shield?

#1585 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Did this and love it.
Can't believe they come from the factory on top of the little rings.
Lowering the main ring also stops the leaf switch from popping out from under the rubber.
I had my leaf switch slip out of place 3 or 4 times. Now with the main ring lower it is almost impossible for it to come out.

I recall Gary Stern saying it started out the way you have it now, but they were getting air balls in the slings so they changed it around.
The quote is in one of John's Arcade Stern tour videos.

#1596 2 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

I am currently working on a new Airball Deflector and Ecto Goggles Shield in the same style as the Slimer Rails

Please post a coming soon when you can with the option to be notified and I'll be interested in picking them up.

#1599 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Did these washers come with the protector? I bought mine from Old Pinball Guy but there were no washers included.
My machine is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I want to install this asap...

You will want to buy some #6 washers.
Tip: Buy a few # 6-32 nuts as well.
Standard 6-32 nuts are thinner than the (stern supplied) "lock nuts" and require less threads to be do the job allowing you to add a couple of washers and easily add the nut on top of the airball protector.

#1604 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Ahh, off to the hardware store before tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
Just curious, I believe you were the one who suggested Oldpinballguy's airball protector. Did your ball clear when installing without washers?

The ball rubs without washers. I think this is a hazard when crossing over the ramp regardless of who made the thing.
The plastic could have benefited from a half-moon cut around backside for the ramp-up-entry point, but better yet, if it never covered the ramp entry at all which is not likely to happen anytime soon so the best idea at this point is to shim up Oldpinguy's plastic.
I like this one because its flexible enough to take a beating.

If anyone wants to work on a new design...
I'm envisioning a "2 piece version" (Left & right) with 2 mounting points on each piece (L & R) and nothing in the middle where the ramp entry is. I think that would be an improved design.

#1608 2 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

This is definitely not a software bug.
That one way gate behind stay puft man has no wires and is not connected to anything.

Agreed. I looked this part over closely. It appears to be there to guide the ball but has not switches or sensors.
(checked in switch test as well)

#1610 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

What would be the downside of removing this gate all together? It's clearly doing the opposite of guiding the ball on my game.

Watched my video again and I'm not seeing a downside . If you can remove it easily, its free to try it.

I can see that if the bracket works properly, it would keep the ball grounded to ensure it makes the next gate which is important, but I cannot say that it would not have been grounded anyway. ( I know double negative)

1 week later
#1656 2 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

Is that the good old fashioned lollipop side rails used on Sam system Sterns?
I got them from Pinball Life

I have these as well. Highly recommended!

1 week later
#1704 2 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I decided to look closely at this as I had to work on the machine. At 240fps, I was able to capture on my phone a pretty good airball that went straight over the target toward the ramp and got airborn, hit the ramp, and bounced out on the playfield. It did seem that the Cliffy was the cause in this case. I'm going to tinker with the height of the drop target and pitch to make to a bit smoother.

I've noticed looking at lots of people's photos, some drop-targets are lower than the playfield while others are flush, but the way the drop target is molded, it has a slight hump to the top (seem runs left to right across the center.
Not sure what would be best other than perfectly flat like MMR drop targets. I think those would be the best.
drop2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1739 2 years ago
Quoted from phyreteam:

The answer was likely posted elsewhere, but what is the purpose of the coils in the backbox...?

Looking at the wiring , they are using them as filter coils.
As you know, there is a woofer in the bottom & stereo mid range / tweeter up top. The caps & coils filter out the low frequency which is then sent to the woofer in the cabinet. This is a nice LC filter network (better than just a cap in series with the high frequency speaker.

From the manual: 11 511-7666-00 High Pass Filter Assembly

3 weeks later
#1760 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I have to agree with that. I think I've had one ball hop the lane since I bought mine at the end of Dec with no mods done. I had planned to tap the guides up but just never did.

Agreed. I did add outlane protectors but only saw it hop a few times. (super annoying when it did)
The airball protector? I cannot imagine playing without it.
I made my own the 2nd week of ownership, then picked up oldpinguy's airball protector. \
I use all the Oldpinguy protectors , Highly recommended.

2 weeks later
#1785 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckcasey:

We know about the spring swap on the auto. Are you guys also switching manual plunger spring too?

Yes, some people are. The default manual shooter spring is orange. You can buy a green spring from pinball-life . Its the next step down.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
7,999 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chucksmith.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside