image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_5801 (resized).JPG
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 7 years ago

I am considering getting a GB. I played both the premium and pro at expo last week. I'm trying to decide which one to get. I like the extra features on the premium like the subway that drops below the playfield and ecto goggles, ramps, library and I'm sure there are others I didn't notice right away, but is it worth the extra money?

I usually buy pros because I'm cheap and haven't really seen the extra value in premiums, but am considering it on GB. Also might be worth mentioning my distributor is out of premiums so I would have to wait until December to get one, which kind of sucks, but not the end of the world.

What are your opinions, which one do you recommend?

I have included a poll also if you want to participate.

#2 7 years ago

magnaslings alone make the premium worth the difference to me. they add another element to the game that is very unique.

#3 7 years ago

Assuming ghosting is fixed, the premium is a no brainer

#4 7 years ago

Prior to picking up my GB Premium, my other two NIB games (Tron and TWD) were both Pro models. I just didn't think the differences were enough to justify the price jump, and honestly never saw myself going above a Pro on any machine. The extra features on GB Premium, however, were just way too cool to pass up. Premium all the way, IMO.

#5 7 years ago

I have had a few games that had pro and premium versions.
The only one so far that I went premium was AC/DC.
Metallica, Avengers, Star Trek, and X-Men I went pro.

I am in the same boat as you? I have enough saved to go pro now but not sure.

#6 7 years ago

I played the pro yesterday for the first time, so I was glad that this question was asked. I really liked the game outside of the current software issues (was the version before 1.10, so I saw the same modes a lot). I'm holding off for now, but when the software is finished I was going to have the exact same question.

#7 7 years ago

I voted for Premium. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Pro but if you are going to buy one get the version with all of the elements the designer intended included. The Pro was created by stripping down the Premium/LE.

I do like the features the Premium offers over the pro. My favorites are the subway ramp and the extra molded buildings. The magna slings are not a deciding factor for me nor are the Ecto Goggles.

#8 7 years ago

Pro 100%

Really nothing on the premium that can justify the added cost.

Magna slingsare pretty meh as they deadbounce more than anything, the right ramp is way nicer on prem but that is not worth almost 2k more IMO.

Ecto goggles are pretty meh also.

Really the only less favorable feature on the pro is the right ramp.

That said, if you have extra cash to burn then prem is cool. I personally would take the pro and an extra game alongside of it.

#9 7 years ago

Premium is soooo great if you have the extra money. If you can only afford the pro, it is a bang for your buck awesome game. You can't go wrong but I really like the extra features of the premium.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I am considering getting a GB. I played both the premium and pro at expo last week. I'm trying to decide which one to get. I like the extra features on the premium like the subway that drops below the playfield and ecto goggles, ramps, library and I'm sure there are others I didn't notice right away, but is it worth the extra money?
I usually buy pros because I'm cheap and haven't really seen the extra value in premiums, but am considering it on GB. Also might be worth mentioning my distributor is out of premiums so I would have to wait until December to get one, which kind of sucks, but not the end of the world.
What are your opinions, which one do you recommend?
I have included a poll also if you want to participate.

Most folks have waited over 2 months for a ghostbusters premium

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Magna slingsare pretty meh as they deadbounce more than anything

if the switches are gapped properly, they are very active. they get *really* good as you progress through the game. my favorite magna sling so far was the ball swirling around on the right one in a circle, and then being tossed up and around the right ramp.

they make you very attentive being so close to the flippers....

#12 7 years ago

I have a Prem on order that I still
haven't received...and I'm still waffling on, honestly. I played the Prem a bunch this weekend at the Portland Retro Expo...it was played for 1 day and had insert ghosting already. I like the right ramp better in theory, but it's very hard to hit and when you do, the ball always stops around the loop and heads back down. Even tho the right ramp on the Pro is a little weird, at least it works. The magna slings are cool until they stop the ball right in the middle and plop it down the drain. The center post kit would help with that, though. I've 100% concluded that the game blows without that kit. Just way way too many cheap center drains. The friggin left scoop shoots it right down the middle 85% of the time.

#13 7 years ago

I played the Pro at Pin-A-Go-Go in May. It's an amazing game. I ordered a premium the next day. I have had my prem. for about 2 weeks. I LOVE it! to me, it was worth the extra $$$. No ghosting issues so far (knock on wood). Lots of air balls and like Rarehero said about 85% of the time SDTM from left kick-out. I've heard "if" I turn down the settings... it will settle down and catch the left flipper.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

if the switches are gapped properly, they are very active. they get *really* good as you progress through the game. my favorite magna sling so far was the ball swirling around on the right one in a circle, and then being tossed up and around the right ramp.
they make you very attentive being so close to the flippers....

only prem I played was a bunch on the one at expo. Likely that the switches had not been adjusted properly.

#15 7 years ago

The cost difference here in Canada is about $3000 - $3500 between a pro and premium so it's pretty hard to justify any premium when they are well over $10000 delivered. Exchange rates have sucked for the past 2 years.

I'm ok with my pro.

Rob

#16 7 years ago

I ended up going with the Premium after all. But I started off buying a pro and paying in full for it. After seeing the Premium months later I decided to upgrade and just had to pay difference because I had already paid in full for the pro. I love all the extra features of the Premium, but that being said the pro is the game I played and loved first! Although I'm happy with my Premium I'd be happy with a Pro as well. Both VERY good games and can't lose either way.

#17 7 years ago

Premium looks like the runaway winner in the poll

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Premium looks like the runaway winner in the poll

yeah, LOTS of premium buyers on Pinside so the poll was not really needed to tell us that, lol.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, LOTS of premium buyers on Pinside so the poll was not really needed to tell us that, lol.

Since I love the original movie, the theme is awesome to me. And after playing both at Expo, I think the premium is a different playing game than the pro. I will be buying a premium.

Just need to find the money for it......

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The cost difference here in Canada is about $3000 - $3500 between a pro and premium so it's pretty hard to justify any premium when they are well over $10000 delivered. Exchange rates have sucked for the past 2 years.
I'm ok with my pro.
Rob

I agree. I love the extras on the LE especially the cabinet art, but I could not justify the extra money.

#21 7 years ago

Personally if money is an issue, I think you'll be happy with the pro. I have a premium and I enjoy it, but I also played a pro and it was a lot of fun too.

#22 7 years ago

I played a pro quite a few times while waiting for my premium to be built. It's a great game either way but for me, the extra features are totally worth the extra $$. The magnaslings alone are almost enough to step up. They just completely change the game, especially as you progress through some modes and a multiball. Then when you add the subway/ecto-goggles/right ramp/cooler art package I'd go premium all day.

Make sure to get a shaker motor too.

#23 7 years ago

Played both, must go premium.

#24 7 years ago

Went pro, the additions are ok on the prem, but not worth the price difference. Pro is a great game and $2500 difference is alot of money to justify.

#25 7 years ago

If sterns polish code support is as good as it was on GOT ( ). Then I'd go neither on GB. EDIT: at least until they get their sh*t together and give the programmers adequate time to work on their pins. But if I had to choose, I'd go premium. The magna slings are so cool.

#26 7 years ago

I pulled up the flyers for both the pro and premium on Stern's site last night. I was clicking back and forth between the two. I really do like the added features of the premium, and look, but it's hard for me to justify the additional $1700 or whatever the difference is. If it were $700 $800 or maybe $1000 I would be more inclined to do it, but to me I don't see the game being that much better for the price difference. I'm still on the fence and will be doing more research, but leaning more towards the pro at this point. Plus I told myself I would sell two of my other games, Grand Lizard and Devil Riders to make up for the difference between the premium and pro.

#27 7 years ago

You can't get the difference looking at the flyers. You need to play them. I played the pro a lot at launch parties, and bought a prem because of theme. Freaking love the premium over the pro, but again, the pro is fantastic.

#28 7 years ago

If you are a GB fan and will be keeping it go Premium. If you are going to play it for a while and dump it to get a different game go Pro.

#29 7 years ago

I am about ready to order a premium but I am concerned about the play field issues. When we will know this has been completely corrected?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I am about ready to order a premium but I am concerned about the play field issues. When we will know this has been completely corrected?

gamble you have to make. They are doing warranties on them, through your distributor if you have issues. I have 100 plays maybe, and don't have any issues :shrug:

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

If you are a GB fan and will be keeping it go Premium. If you are going to play it for a while and dump it to get a different game go Pro.

I have always like the movies, but I can't say that I am a hardcore GB fanatic. I usually play games for a while, lose interest and then they sit for a while or get traded for something else unless I really fall in love and they go on "keeper status" but after I sold TAF, a game I said I would never sell, nothing is sacred anymore!

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Someone in another thread said he saw/played an October build game that ghosting.

#33 7 years ago

i say go with premium if you have the cash.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

I played 2 different Premiums this weekend, both had insert ghosting. Also butt-draggy Slimers, right ramps that stop the ball on the curve every time, and scoops that shoot down the center. I've cancelled my order. I'm done trying to like this game. Poor design and questionable QC. I'm out.

#35 7 years ago

My experience out of the box with my premium....

Pitched very steep(bubble completely above the line), only adjustments I have had to make-

Weatherstrip behind the standups instead of factory foam- eliminated 95% of airballs
Moved slimer up very slightly, took about 30 seconds to adjust arm using set screw
Bend switch outward a bit at top of main ramp
Adjusted scoop power to 25, perfect every time to left flipper
Adjusted coil power to soft

Right ramp- perfect out of the box, one or two stops at the top out of 500 shots
Ghosting on Tobins insert (no other ghosting noticed so far)
Perfect flow through subway to right flipper everytime

Game is hard as hell, I freaking love it. Running 1.05 code, I have no desire to change code at this time....

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

My experience out of the box with my premium....
Pitched very steep(bubble completely above the line), only adjustments I have had to make-
Weatherstrip behind the standups instead of factory foam- eliminated 95% of airballs
Moved slimer up very slightly, took about 30 seconds to adjust arm using set screw
Bend switch outward a bit at top of main ramp
Adjusted scoop power to 25, perfect every time to left flipper
Adjusted coil power to soft
Right ramp- perfect out of the box, one or two stops at the top out of 500 shots
Ghosting on Tobins insert (no other ghosting noticed so far)
Perfect flow through subway to right flipper everytime
Game is hard as hell, I freaking love it. Running 1.05 code, I have no desire to change code at this time....

Strange that some games have no problem with the right ramp while others like mine, do (or did till I put on a shorter standoff). My Slimer never dragged and I just use a lower coil setting for the left kick out. I'm also sticking with 1.05 for now. Magna Drain can still throw it right between the flippers, or between the center post and the flipper. But they're still fun most of the time and really make the gameplay unique. Love this game!

#37 7 years ago

October play field dates with ghosting still? What gives?

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I played 2 different Premiums this weekend, both had insert ghosting. Also butt-draggy Slimers, right ramps that stop the ball on the curve every time, and scoops that shoot down the center. I've cancelled my order. I'm done trying to like this game. Poor design and questionable QC. I'm out.

If there ever was a game to buy on the secondary market, this is it.

I agree that the premium is not worth paying so much extra $$ for over the pro as a NIB buy. I wouldn't be happy with the pro knowing I have missed a good number of features. This is a game I can see buying 5+ years in the future as a used title.

I can't believe they are still having playfield quality issues.

#39 7 years ago

I haven't played the Premium, but I've played plenty of games on the Pro. The Pro definitely feels substantial enough for this game and does not have a stripped-down feel that some Pro models have. I'd put that extra money towards another B-list title and you'll still have a pretty fun game on your hands with GB Pro.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

If there ever was a game to buy on the secondary market, this is it.
I agree that the premium is not worth paying so much extra $$ for over the pro as a NIB buy. I wouldn't be happy with the pro knowing I have missed a good number of features. This is a game I can see buying 5+ years in the future as a used title.
I can't believe they are still having playfield quality issues.

I'm actually thinking if I revisit this title I might just go Pro. I think Pro Slimer is better aesthetically - hovering facing you looks better than seeing his mech and butt over the pops. His back and forth motion gains you nothing, as there are no inserts corresponding to his position like BDK crane. Molded library and containment, who cares. Right ramp design on Pro is a little goofy but I feel like it shoots better. Ecto goggles are cool but don't really have much gameplay purpose. Magna slings, cool gimmick for those who know how slings usually work but what does it really get you for gameplay? Less sling action due to one switch, and it sometimes dead drops it down the middle. Feh.

When the hype wears off, GB will be easy to find used.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have a Prem on order that I still
haven't received...and I'm still waffling on, honestly. I played the Prem a bunch this weekend at the Portland Retro Expo...it was played for 1 day and had insert ghosting already. I like the right ramp better in theory, but it's very hard to hit and when you do, the ball always stops around the loop and heads back down. Even tho the right ramp on the Pro is a little weird, at least it works. The magna slings are cool until they stop the ball right in the middle and plop it down the drain. The center post kit would help with that, though. I've 100% concluded that the game blows without that kit. Just way way too many cheap center drains. The friggin left scoop shoots it right down the middle 85% of the time.

The left scoop's power can be adjusted to fix this.

Also, I had a pro and enjoyed it. Watched the world premier that GEX(?) in Colorado had for the premium and just didn't see $1,500 worth of extras, but I wouldn't question others who do see the value of the added features. I plan on reacquiring a GB someday but it will likely be a gently used, well cared-for machine and if the price is good it may even be a premium, but I'd be fine with having another pro. I miss the flashing red light show at the start of Storage Facility multiball.

#42 7 years ago

I own a pro, and I like the game very much and don't feel like I need to upgrade (and I could easily upgrade if I wanted). I played a LE and the biggest difference in gameplay is the right ramp, but I don't feel it's worth the extra $ just for that.

The other differences are just neat things to have- The ecto-goggles are cool and everything, but I didn't find myself looking at it very much during play and beyond just being cool, I could live without it. The magna-slings are cool also, but again, I didn't think it was a "must have" and more of a gimmick.

In all honesty, if the LE/Premium would have been released first, I probably would have bought that only because I like to have games early on during a title release. So to be clear, I could be happy with either a Pro or Premium/LE, but don't feel any burning desire to "upgrade".

If money is tight or you are more budget conscious on things, get the Pro. Otherwise, go Premium.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from nowakster:

Most folks have waited over 2 months for a ghostbusters premium

Over 2 months!!! I put my deposit down on May 2nd, it has been over 5 months. I hate I can get a pro now, but still waiting.

#44 7 years ago

Pro all the way on this one guys

#45 7 years ago

More than happy with the pro. Premiums a solid game as well.

#46 7 years ago

Pro is faster imo cant loose no matter wich way u go

#47 7 years ago

none..as playfield issues have not been fixed.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I haven't played the Premium, but I've played plenty of games on the Pro. The Pro definitely feels substantial enough for this game and does not have a stripped-down feel that some Pro models have. I'd put that extra money towards another B-list title and you'll still have a pretty fun game on your hands with GB Pro.

These are pretty much my thoughts. I don't think it looks too stripped down either. Don't get me wrong, I would like to have the premium, but can't justify the price difference at this point. As I mentioned earlier I would have to sell 2 other games to make up for the price difference and I don't see 2 games worth of added value by getting the premium over the pro.

#49 7 years ago

Thanks for posting this question and everyone else responding with their pros/cons to both versions. I'm struggling with the same decision as pindude80. Tough choice!!!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

If money is tight or you are more budget conscious on things, get the Pro. Otherwise, go Premium.

For me it's more of being budget conscious, I am selling my TSPP to fund this purchase and will have to throw about $500 in to just get the pro let alone the additional $1700 between the premium and pro. I told myself a couple months back no new games or money being spent, but I'm a pinball addict so at least if I can minimize my cash outlay I might not be as mad at myself for breaking my own rule!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

15,699 (OBO)
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-or-pro?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.