image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_5801 (resized).JPG
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 7 years ago

I am leaning towards the pro myself.

Been playing a premium every day for the last week and for the price difference I'm pretty sure I can live with the pro.

I can always upgrade to the premium in a couple of years if it ends up being a true keeper for me.

#152 7 years ago

People will say premium and so will Trudeau as the premium/le is the stripped down version of the pro. However after playing both which were side by side to each other a couple weeks back I just kept on going back to the pro because I enjoyed the gameplay better (has better flow).
I'm not really torn on the ecto goggles as currently the animations seem a tad bit tacky, hopefully overtime they will get better who knows ( the effect and how its done is neat I can't fault that )

Things I prefer on the pro:
- Less movement on slimer model (Without adjusting it doesn't doesn't drag alot the plastics due to being low) and it is more predictable where slimer is as its fixed in one spot
- Normal slings, Bring on the pitchforks and lynch me. I'm not a fan of the magna slings as they are unpredictable and cause cheap drains which are a pain in the arse and I don't find it as enjoyable.

Things I miss on the pro:
- 3D models compared to the 2d ones (can be replaced via mods)
- Metal ramps/ wireforms plus the subway which goes under the playfield however the Plastic ramps still offer similar speed and does not really effect enjoyablity however on some occasions when playing the balls got stuck in the subway which was annoying but still really cool tho.
- The lightshow ( unsure whether the lightshow is the same on the pro but i remember it being better on the premium, hmm false memory but the pro was still awesome especially during storage facility multiball)

At the end of the day this is just my personal opinion, my views might contradict yours and thats fine by me (conflicting views is natural in all walks of life).

This sums this all up (quoting rotordave who's quoting franck bona regarding Got pro from the alien thread which I think applies with most sterns inc ghostbusters) :
"The collector, he will choose the premium as it is very beeeeeautiful game! (Sic!) But the player will always choose the pro moddddddel because it has better flooooooow!"

In the end that extra cash saved from getting the pro over the premium can go towards modding the game (powdercoating etc..) or even better another game

#153 7 years ago

So ........ after two and a half hours of playing I'm am back to leaning towards the premium.

I do feel the pro is smoother but not by much.

I hit the right ramp shot four times in a row with out a reject. Not saying it doesn't have them just saying it's a makable shot.

As for the toys ...... Totally awesome. So many unique features on this game it's hard to say pass on them. And if code is done right like TWD the game will be in a league of its own

Pro has to be one of the best value pros in a long time which makes it so hard to decide

Still not 100% but I have the cash and if I'm debating this hard .... what the heck right ?

#154 7 years ago

Hobb1 when you played both, was your strategy the same ?
Because ideally in terms of modes and code the game is exactly the same, you're only paying extra for the 'toys' essentially. After looking at your collection this also applies to your Star trek, metallica and tron(no point getting DP multiball on le imho) as no matter what version my strategy is always the same (virtually same gameplay) . However with Twd then I understand if you have money go premium/le as the way you tackle the game is differnet due to walker bombs.

#155 7 years ago

Have to say not knowing the rules very well my evaluation on this game is based solely on the coolness on the toys and if they work they way they are intended.

IMO they do. If you don't have the cash the pro is more than just satisfactory. It's almost as good as the premium baring the all they cool features

On ST and Tron there was not enough difference in gameplay. Met the hammer had me frustrated and TWD was a better game

Everyone decides on a differnet basis but there is sooooo much more on GB that could be implemented with future code

#156 7 years ago

What is the street price on Pro vs Premium?

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What is the street price on Pro vs Premium?

I know that in the Uk a nib pro would cost £5795 ($7254.47) and the premium £7695($9632.99) and can get a few £100 or 200 knocked off.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Here's where I'm at.
My wife wants the premium as long as I can sort out the issues with the r ramp. I know it's a tight shot but so is the pro.
It seems the left ramp with metal habit trails ,vuk, slings, ecto googles ,moving slimer and real lock all work well ..... is this correct
Plus the 3D library and storage containment, real work rails, and metal apron ( which I put on anyway 250/300. )
I very back and forth on this game as the pro plays soooo well but the added features are very original

the R ramp? This GB not GNR.

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I know that in the Uk a nib pro would cost £5795 ($7254.47) and the premium £7695($9632.99) and can get a few £100 or 200 knocked off.

That sucks

But at least you get hotdogs, beans & a weird cut of bacon with your breakfast over there lol

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That sucks
But at least you get hotdogs, beans & a weird cut of bacon with your breakfast over there lol

Prices suck, blame 20% VAT tax on the item plus import tax and shipping costs; It seems like every year nib prices go up £500-700 quid.When was the last time I had bacon for breakfast , months ago I guess we usually have toast and cereal with tea or coffee.
Ps: not hotdogs , proper pork sausages and bacon.

#162 7 years ago

Well all, I did it, I brought home a premium last night. I must say I am glad that I took the majority's advice, spent the extra $$ and bought the premium. The extras toys and subway ramp are so cool. I wasn't sure how I would like the magna slings, but I have to say they are pretty rad when they do their tricks. I only got to play about 20 games on it last night, but I can't say that I have not had the problems that others say about the premium- my Slimer works great, no butt dragging, I did get a few rejected ball on the right ramp, but made a majority.

So after debating the pro vs. premium for a while, playing both, I feel my pinside brethren led me right. Both are great games! The pro is definitely a solid game for the money, but if you can spare the extra cash grab the premium, I'm glad I did. If it were the difference of being on a tighter budget and being able to afford a pro vs not getting a GB at all or settling for a different/older title get the pro, it is fun without a doubt.

Everyone have fun bustin' them ghosts!

#163 7 years ago

So did you buy a used one or did you find one NIB? I am waiting for mine.

#164 7 years ago

don't forget to pound up your inlane wire guides 1/4". makes a huge difference. No more bounce overs, and 30% less side drains.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

don't forget to pound up your inlane wire guides 1/4". makes a huge difference. No more bounce overs, and 30% less side drains.

Why not put this in layman's terms so other people can benefit? No clue what you mean.

#166 7 years ago

haha - I was just going to say the same. Seems like good advice but does he mean literally hitting up your lanes?

#167 7 years ago

Pretty sure he does.

#168 7 years ago

I even screenshot it so when mine arrives I remember.

IMG_6327 (resized).PNGIMG_6327 (resized).PNG

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Captain I've been meaning to give you props for this. I remember reading this a while ago but forgot who posted to do this. It does indeed make a HUGE difference. Thank you.

#170 7 years ago

not I'm interested concerned it might cause damage...can you knock them back if need be? Maybe a pic would be helpful to see how far up you guys have done this.

#171 7 years ago

I just used a very small screwdriver and gave it two or three soft taps with a hammer and it bumped the rails up about 1/8". No damage done and really tamed the jumpovers to the point where they don't happen....ever.

#172 7 years ago

Why is Stern shipping GB with inlane issues?

The is the only game with that problem.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I just used a very small screwdriver and gave it two or three soft taps with a hammer and it bumped the rails up about 1/8". No damage done and really tamed the jumpovers to the point where they don't happen....ever.

OK. I just don't know if i want to change the way the game was designed so it's easier. not to say its wrong but similar to that center post mod, i want to play it stock as far as gameplay is concerned.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

OK. I just don't know if i want to change the way the game was designed so it's easier. not to say its wrong but similar to that center post mod, i want to play it stock as far as gameplay is concerned.

Your game, your rules. I'm cool with whatever anybody wants to do their game. I just don't think they designed the game with the ball jumping over the wire rails.

#175 7 years ago

you will not damage the playfield. Remember. I've been restoring playfields for over 10 years. Working my way to my 400th field. I've pounded out 100's of metal rails out of playfields. The only ones that will pull some playfield with them, when pounded out, are the ones butterflyed on the ends. Which thick rails like this, are never butterflied. (butterflied rails are pinched at the ends to make them smash out to give them better grip).

So if you lift your field. Have some else hold the field in the air for you. Take a drill bit or nail smaller than the diameter of the of the rail. From the back of the field, you will see where the rail barely pokes through the field. (only need to focus on the inlane side, don't worry about the flipper side). Put the nail/awl/drill or whatever you want to use in the center and tap it with the hammer. You would be surprised how easy it raises. Move it about 1/4" up. Don't worry about it being stable. at 1/4" you still have half a field holding, plus you have the backside all the way in.

Not only does this raise the bend above the low point of the ball, (which keeps the ball from trying to roll up the metal rail) but it also hits the outer most edge of the ball. Reducing the outlane gap by 1/16". Which in the pinball world, is HUGE. I noticed about a 30% reduction in side drains from this.

#176 7 years ago

Finally got a chance to play a premium and figured I'd post my views:

For the differences:

Cab: pro looks way better no question, the premium looks like its a sun faded cab where as the pro is colorful and more detailed - pro

Translite: both are great - tie

Ecto goggles: very meh did do anything for me and I didnt look at them much while playing - tie

Magna slings: I do like the idea, but as there is little difference between them and standard - tie

Models: obviously premium is better here, the models look really great - prem

Slimer: I liked when he was out of the way on the premium but don't like how he drags his butt really brings down the coolness of it, and I prefer how he moves better on the pro - pro

Ramps:
-The prem look much better, are made of metal and I really like the idea of the subway
-The right ramp doesn't feel much different (shot is still very tight) but comes back of course to the left flipper it would be cool getting some loops going on it.
-The scoop is better than the esp shot on the pro since sometimes it comes back out on the pro.
-However on the prem many times if the shot isn't quite hard enough to the left ramp, it wont quite come up the other side and will just roll back and fourth for approx 15 seconds, the ball search will activate etc and eventually it will settle down and spit out the kickout; I found this very disruptive to the game play - where as the pro doesn't look as good, it plays very smooth and fast. - undecided

Playfield colour: the playfield colours are quite a bit different on the prem, darker, and alot more dark blue, both are still very nice but I think I like the prem better - prem

Other:
-If you think its hard to see the PKE lanes on a pro, the premium having a higher left ramp almost blocks them
-You cannot backhand the left ramp on the prem where as I do all the time on my pro.
-I don't know why but I was having a lot of crazy airballs on the prem where as I don't get many on my pro.

To sum it up, its actually a tougher call than I though Id be having I do think the prem suffers in gameplay a bit due to the left ramp but does look a bit more - well 'premium' when your standing next to it

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

-You cannot backhand the left ramp on the prem where as I do all the time on my pro.

I can do it on my premium, granted it has to be done just right, but to me it's really cool to watch the ball barely crest the peak of the ramp and then head for the subway. Maybe the premium you played was at a steep pitch? I made sure my game was at 6.5 degrees.

In your comparison you forgot to mention the subway is a physical ball lock versus the pro having a "virtual" lock, this was one of the deciding factors on going premium for me, I like real ball locks.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Finally got a chance to play a premium and figured I'd post my views:
For the differences:
Cab: pro looks way better no question, the premium looks like its a sun faded cab where as the pro is colorful and more detailed - pro
Translite: both are great - tie
Ecto goggles: very meh did do anything for me and I didnt look at them much while playing - tie
Magna slings: I do like the idea, but as there is little difference between them and standard - tie
Models: obviously premium is better here, the models look really great - prem
Slimer: I liked when he was out of the way on the premium but don't like how he drags his butt really brings down the coolness of it, and I prefer how he moves better on the pro - pro
Ramps:
-The prem look much better, are made of metal and I really like the idea of the subway
-The right ramp doesn't feel much different (shot is still very tight) but comes back of course to the left flipper it would be cool getting some loops going on it.
-The scoop is better than the esp shot on the pro since sometimes it comes back out on the pro.
-However on the prem many times if the shot isn't quite hard enough to the left ramp, it wont quite come up the other side and will just roll back and fourth for approx 15 seconds, the ball search will activate etc and eventually it will settle down and spit out the kickout; I found this very disruptive to the game play - where as the pro doesn't look as good, it plays very smooth and fast. - undecided
Playfield colour: the playfield colours are quite a bit different on the prem, darker, and alot more dark blue, both are still very nice but I think I like the prem better - prem
Other:
-If you think its hard to see the PKE lanes on a pro, the premium having a higher left ramp almost blocks them
-I don't know why but I was having a lot of crazy airballs on the prem where as I don't get many on my pro.
To sum it up, its actually a tougher call than I though Id be having I do think the prem suffers in gameplay a bit due to the left ramp but does look a bit more - well 'premium' when your standing next to it

I think this premium you played needs to be tweeked a bit. I don't have any of these issues on mine.

#179 7 years ago

I can backhand the left ramp on my prem no problem. It's not even difficult and I have the coils set to low.

#180 7 years ago

Strange, I did look and the bubble was in the middle, no idea what that means for a pitch but shouldn't be bad, could be the flippers are turned down but it wouldn't go over on that one. I just figured it was because the ramp was higher than the pro, making it harder but if you guys can backhand it it must just be the settings in that machine.

That wouldn't help it not making it up the other side of the subway though, maybe its not all machines but it happened 4/5 times where it didn't have enough momentum to make it up out of the subway and sloshed back and fourth for 15sec or so and started the ball search etc, the diverter was working for locking balls; I don't know what else you can adjust that would help that issue.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

That wouldn't help it not making it up the other side of the subway though, maybe its not all machines but it happened 4/5 times where it didn't have enough momentum to make it up out of the subway and sloshed back and fourth for 15sec or so and started the ball search etc, the diverter was working for locking balls; I don't know what else you can adjust that would help that issue.

I know some people have done some adjusting with the subway ramp below the PF, not sure if that would correct what you are experiencing. My game did that one time and it was the first ball I shot and hasn't done it since and I've hit the subway hundreds of times since then.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can backhand the left ramp on my prem no problem. It's not even difficult and I have the coils set to low.

Speaking of coil adjustments. I looked for this and all I could find was "coil pulse" settings... I set that to low but it doesn't seem to effect much except for the vuk and scoops. Is there a setting that directly adjusts the flipper strength? Maybe I over looked something here... would like to turn them down ever so slightly if possible same with the pops.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I know some people have done some adjusting with the subway ramp below the PF, not sure if that would correct what you are experiencing. My game did that one time and it was the first ball I shot and hasn't done it since and I've hit the subway hundreds of times since then.

I had to adjust mine but it's very easy. Loosen one screw and push the one piece over to the left as far as it will go. Should be centered that way.

Quoted from libtech:

Strange, I did look and the bubble was in the middle, no idea what that means for a pitch but shouldn't be bad, could be the flippers are turned down but it wouldn't go over on that one. I just figured it was because the ramp was higher than the pro, making it harder but if you guys can backhand it it must just be the settings in that machine.

It's could be the flippers are in the low/factory position. I moved mine up specifically so I could backhand the left ramp. But I have no problem with hitting the right scoop, so the flippers don't need to be so low.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I had to adjust mine but it's very easy. Loosen one screw and push the one piece over to the left as far as it will go. Should be centered that way.

It's could be the flippers are in the low/factory position. I moved mine up specifically so I could backhand the left ramp. But I have no problem with hitting the right scoop, so the flippers don't need to be so low.

I think they are too low in general. Almost feels like baby pacman. I really think they put the alignment divots too low on accident. because the game plays much better if you align the bottom of the flipper bat (without rubber) to the top of the dent. shots are much smoother and the game just plays better all around.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can too but haven't quiet figured out the exact spot on the flipper to do it, just hit it every so often

2 weeks later
#186 7 years ago

Have any of you guys listened to the latest buffalo podcast? They trash the premium hard and favor the pro over it. But, it seemed like some bias'ism was in their podcast as one of the guys owned a pro. Any thoughts?

#187 7 years ago

Have not heard it but man the Premium is such a great game!!

#188 7 years ago

Is there any difference in the action of the slimer between the premium and pro? Does it perform the same function/action in both?

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Have any of you guys listened to the latest buffalo podcast? They trash the premium hard and favor the pro over it. But, it seemed like some bias'ism was in their podcast as one of the guys owned a pro. Any thoughts?

I didn't listen, but it sounds biased to me. I have a pro, but if I had the extra money I would have got a premium or LE. I like physical ball locks, the subway ramp looks fun as do the magna slings.

Rob

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Just listened to that segment and agree it seems there's some bias. As the one guy said, different strokes. He's not completely off base on some observations, but I don't share his opinion. When one guy in chat asks which he should buy, Hobbit or GB, he says to play both but buy the Hobbit. My evaluation was different: I played both extensively, including Pro/LE of GB. I went with a GB Premium.

While I agree there are some layout oddities with GB Prem/LE, I'd say the same is true with the Hobbit. What I find frustrating about GB is that some of the oddities could've been improved/tweaked with just a bit more QA and playtesting. I still think GB is an excellent game, but it could've been a phenomenal game. Some can be fixed in code, but others would require playfield tweaking.

As for Pro vs Premium, I don't agree with them here but again, different strokes. I'm not saying they are wrong on their observations on Premium, but I haven't had one magnasling center drain (that I recall), nor 1 airball off left ramp (I do use airball protector for the targets). He's right when says that slimer moving makes the game harder, but I enjoy that aspect.

When I was debating Hobbit vs GB, the bottom line for me was: which title did I have more fun playing?

#191 7 years ago

Debated this for months until the new premiums came out in Nov. Sooooo glad I went with a premium as the extra features on this one are outstanding. The pro is no slouch either but for me it was clear once I owned with no buyers remorse

I will say it took me about 2 weeks of reshopping and tweaking the game to get it to play glassy smooth but it's worth it

#192 7 years ago

Since I dropped the rubber on the slings to the lower settings, the magna slings are so reactive they blow my mind when I see a pinball swirl in a circle in front of my eyes. It seems so unnatural in the laws of physics for a pinball to that. The subway ramp is awesome everytime the pinball disappears under the playfield and reappears at the right flipper. I am modding out a premium with some cool stuff. I love this freakin game !!

#193 7 years ago

Just got my premium today and all I can say is it is awesome. Only have a played a handful of games but certainly do not regret my decision on this one.

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

Since I dropped the rubber on the slings to the lower settings, the magna slings are so reactive they blow my mind when I see a pinball swirl in a circle in front of my eyes. It seems so unnatural in the laws of physics for a pinball to that. The subway ramp is awesome everytime the pinball disappears under the playfield and reappears at the right flipper. I am modding out a premium with some cool stuff. I love this freakin game !!

Seiiting in diagnostics or physically moving the rubber down? Is there a slot for the rubber to hold?

I.wonder why it makes the.ball react different

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think they are too low in general. Almost feels like baby pacman. I really think they put the alignment divots too low on accident. because the game plays much better if you align the bottom of the flipper bat (without rubber) to the top of the dent. shots are much smoother and the game just plays better all around.

Hello, can u please take a picture

ID like to raise mine when I get the game if that makes a difference and definitely getti.g carrot flippers

#196 7 years ago

Premium was a no-brainer for me. The extra $1500 is worth the better ramps, moving and shot blocking slimer, physical ball lock, molded toys/buildings, and the ecto goggles are a novelty but still really cool. I would argue it might not be worth it in a Pro vs. LE comparison though. The right ramp on the Pro is fundamentally an issue in single ball or multiball - that alone being it's own dedicated ramp in the Premium almost makes it worth it.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Can you post a pic.

#199 7 years ago

Ok, here are pics of my flipper alignment. everything shoots much smoother. no more clunky hitting the sidewall before looping around. Backhand shots that should be able to be backhanded. Vast improvement over the factory alignment.

flipper alignment 2 (resized).jpgflipper alignment 2 (resized).jpg

flipper alignment 3 (resized).jpgflipper alignment 3 (resized).jpg

gb flipper alignment (resized).jpggb flipper alignment (resized).jpg

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Pro is definitely easier to setup and takes much less effort to tweak but, premium is still the better, more satisfying playing game.
Sadly it takes more tinkering than two Avengers LE/Prem put together to get "just right" but, the extra features are worth upgrading to.
Neo has given excellent pointers to help the targets (bend forward, add/replace foam) and the lanes (tap up) without the need of sneeze guard plastics, OR drilling your PF.

The right ramp can be tamed as well by adjusting the entrance slightly, removing the 2" hex spacer in lieu of a 1-5/8", and slightly manipulating the angle (bank) to where the wireform begins to give players a smoother, sweeter feeling return/shot.

I haven't tried raising the tip of the flippers to above the dot just yet but, I could see it making shots feel more natural.
Getting rid of that black Happ rubber livens things up too.

I also lowered the coil voltage, scoop kickouts/trough eject, and added a green shooter spring which helps tame things even further.

Game is set up at 7 degrees.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

15,699 (OBO)
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-or-pro/page/4?hl=tpoeckh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.