Topic poll

“Which GB would you recommend?”

• Pro 85 votes
    30%
  • Premium 198 votes
    70%

(283 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0941 (resized).JPG
gb flipper alignment (resized).jpg
flipper alignment 3 (resized).jpg
flipper alignment 2 (resized).jpg
IMG_6327 (resized).PNG
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_5801 (resized).JPG

There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 2 years ago

I played the pro at Robot City Arcade and loved it.

i played the premium at Rock Fantasy want wanted to take it home.

if you can swing it get the premium version!

#52 2 years ago

If you can spend some time trying out both versions before buying, I'd recommend it. For me, the Pro was a solid choice until I logged a few games on the Premium. Then the Pro just felt stripped down and bare. But you can see from other posts that some people prefer the Pro. Either way, they are great machines, but if you can try both out, you'll know for sure!

#53 2 years ago

Just hold out a little longer till you spent enough time on both to make your decision , stern will be making both models for years to come, an all the issues with the playfield will ironed out by then.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Just hold out a little longer till you spent enough time on both to make your decision , stern will be making both models for years to come, an all the issues with the playfield will ironed out by then.

This would be the wise thing to do if I were more patient, but I'm not! lol As of now there aren't any premiums/LEs to play near me. Maybe I should just go back to my original plan of getting a nice WH20 and do like you said and wait for all of the PF issues to get ironed out.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

If you can spend some time trying out both versions before buying, I'd recommend it. For me, the Pro was a solid choice until I logged a few games on the Premium. Then the Pro just felt stripped down and bare. But you can see from other posts that some people prefer the Pro. Either way, they are great machines, but if you can try both out, you'll know for sure!

I agree with the above and ordered my Premium yesterday.

#56 2 years ago

For me buying NIB is a rare thing (this is my second NIB) and after I initially ordered the pro I was thinking "man I hope I don't regret spending the extra bit to get a premium". So I ended up shelling out the extra for the premium. Suppose to arrive this week or next. Starting to get excited!

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I played 2 different Premiums this weekend, both had insert ghosting. Also butt-draggy Slimers, right ramps that stop the ball on the curve every time, and scoops that shoot down the center. I've cancelled my order. I'm done trying to like this game. Poor design and questionable QC. I'm out.

I received my game the middle of this month. So far there is no ghosting, slimer doesn't drag, and I haven't had to adjust anything out the box. The only issue I've had are the air balls off the standup targets. It's a fun game and it's pretty packed full of stuff. My Metallica looks pretty bare next to it (still love Met though).

I feel Gb premium vs pro is similar to Metallica. Both are awesome machines, sure the premium has a little more bells and whistles, but it doesn't add a whole lot to the game. If you can swing the price, then go premium, if it's a stretch, then enjoy the pro.

#58 2 years ago

I've played GB on location at three different places. One of them the game shot great with zero airballs, etc. The other two the game was clunky as hell...ball flying through the air and hopping lane guides...hopping up on plastics....

Made me wonder what the deal with the pin is...very frustrating to see such a great layout that ultimately wreaks havoc on the flow of the game.

#59 2 years ago

I have GB Pro but considering upgrading to Prem once issues are worked out and I spend some time on the Premium. I went Prem on Metallica because I like the spinners with drum effects and light show but I think the Pro is a faster, more fun game. Always question my decision to go Premium on Met.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

This would be the wise thing to do if I were more patient, but I'm not! lol As of now there aren't any premiums/LEs to play near me. Maybe I should just go back to my original plan of getting a nice WH20 and do like you said and wait for all of the PF issues to get ironed out.

Funny enough I've been toying with getting a GB but as there is one at each of my local arcades have not seen the need. During this time I have also spent best part of a day stripping and rebuilding all solinoids/flippers etc on my white water (mint machine with clear coated playfield). I can honestly say the white water is a better playing game, no I have been logging in the hours since the rebuild. GB is a great game and the premium even more so, however I still think it lacks that magic of the B&W from the 90s, Stern is really Clos but when I go play on location, GOT, Spider-Man VE, Mustang LE, GB, Ironman VE all in the same lineup, they still don't compare to my AFM and WH20, just personal preference I guess. I think if if you had Lyman coding and zombie yeti on art with a killer theme like GB and maybe Lawlor or Norman or even Gomez designing maybe Stern would get that spark of magic. Stern got closet with MET but I just can't see myself owning a music pin from a band I'm not that into when there are still so many classics available. That being said if MET is a theme that works for you might be worth a look at over GB of either model.

#61 2 years ago

I had played the pro a bunch and really liked it, and wanted to get my first NIB and was really thinking premium. The magnaslings were making me reconsider if it was going to be a good idea or not having never seen or played them. I wound up finding a NIB LE and I couldn't be happier. What a great game and so much more fun to me than the pro was . I say a premium is a no brainer. The slings alone are worth it, but the other extras make it a bonus.

#62 2 years ago

After playing both it was a no brainer. We're not talking about a game like MET where there really is no difference - magna slings alone imo are worth it. There is a brand new ramp, ecto Google's, etc. So much more is loaded into it that it's prob the clearest prem vs pro I've seen.

If you know the theme is for you, it's even a more clear choice.

On a side note I recently bought MET and it's no question the surprise hit of the year. Wow is that game fun. It's actually so good even though the prem doesn't add much I was thinking about upgrading just so I have it all! Not sure I like the position of the hammer but love the smash feature.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

After playing both it was a no brainer. We're not talking about a game like MET where there really is no difference

Snake Jaw, Spinners, color changing inserts, color changing GI, rising cross and Hammer w/ physical lock are big difference IMO.

Quoted from delt31:

- magna slings alone imo are worth it.

Are they? When in normal mode, they act like weak slings...when doing tricks they sometimes just drop the ball down the middle for no reason.

Quoted from delt31:

There is a brand new ramp,

Which is hard to hit and when hit, the ball usually just rolls back down at the curve.

Quoted from delt31:

ecto Google's

Look cool, but don't really seem to do much of anything.

Quoted from delt31:

, etc. So much more is loaded into it that it's prob the clearest prem vs pro I've seen.

I'm usually of that opinion on every Pro vs. Prem...but strangely enough I'm starting to kind of dig the Pro more on this one. The extras don't seem to get you anything, and I like Slimer more on the Pro...his movement is nicer looking and more "ghosty"...the game looks less cluttered in general.

#64 2 years ago

So a lot of people in this thread have said they bought GBs. I am pretty sure I want one, but am a little gun shy with the PF issues that are going on. Has anyone had any ghosting or clear coat cracking? Has anyone done research on this and know how much the issues are really showing up, like 10% or is a lot more like 50% I would like to get one, but really wonder if it would be smarter to wait until the PF issues are ironed out, but then again due to liability reasons I doubt Stern will ever come out and say the playfield issue is fixed, it will probably be hearsay as it's been lately.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

So a lot of people in this thread have said they bought GBs. I am pretty sure I want one, but am a little gun shy with the PF issues that are going on. Has anyone had any ghosting or clear coat cracking? Has anyone done research on this and know how much the issues are really showing up, like 10% or is a lot more like 50% I would like to get one, but really wonder if it would be smarter to wait until the PF issues are ironed out, but then again due to liability reasons I doubt Stern will ever come out and say the playfield issue is fixed, it will probably be hearsay as it's been lately.

Are you patient? If so, just wait...it'll be in production for 2 more years.

#66 2 years ago

Premium is much better than the pro in my opinion. It's not even close on this table. I'd put it akin to AC/DC pro vs. AC/DC Premium/LE.

The magna-slings were introduced on the perfect game and make GB premium/le play different on the bottom-side than other recent games (in a good way, imo). Slimer is improved over the pro as it's not a gimme shot anymore since he's moving back and forth, often into an unhittable position. The ecto goggles are well-done and again, introduced on the perfect machine (ghosts appearing on the display). The subway ramp with below-playfield physical ball lock is just awesome. This feature alone would push me to the premium. The right ramp works fine....it just needs tweaked a bit (as do a few switches and lower ball guides). Once dialed in, this game is a blast. Best game to be released in a number of years in my opinion, by any manufacturer.

My playfield has no issues with ghosting or cracking clear. I realize not everyone was as lucky. Hopefully those of you with playfield issues get some kind of remedy from Stern. I'm still on the 1.05 code as I'm not sure I like the changes they made to make it easier to progress through the modes.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you patient? If so, just wait...it'll be in production for 2 more years.

unfortunately I'm not a very patient person, especially 2 years patient! Lol. To me, it's kind of like get one somewhat soon or just forget about it and I'll end up buying something else.

#68 2 years ago

Debating the same thing..... Played a premium last night and it was cool as hell. Did not have a chance to play a pro yet.

#69 2 years ago

I was hoping to get some clarification here, but it seems like everyone who owns a premium says that way and anyone who owns a pro says that way, with not very many objective people. I was considering a premium because I'm full, so I don't have the option of a GB pro + 2k game instead of a premium, but if I did, it seems like that would be the way to go...that way you have two games instead of just one for the same money (i.e. gb pro + stargate > gb premium, even if gb premium > gb pro).

#70 2 years ago

I just got my premium yesterday and IMO it's definitely worth it...

IMG_5801 (resized).JPG

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I was hoping to get some clarification here, but it seems like everyone who owns a premium says that way and anyone who owns a pro says that way, with not very many objective people.

Well, it is a subjective decision by definition, right? Most people will research and decide if the extra money is worth the features. Some think it is, some don't. With GoT, you had some people regret and want to upgrade, others wanted to downgrade, but the gameplay was quite a bit different.

I don't have the machine yet, but for me, it was worth it to go premium.

#72 2 years ago

I've played both and have no doubt that the Premium is the better game, but the Pro is a great game by itself. Playing it at Texas last Spring, with very early code, you could still see what a fun experience it was. The theme, music, lights and art all compliment this great game design.

With GB, Stern rolled out another price increase and drive it north of $5k delivered NIB. As others have said in various threads, it's not just the price of a luxury item. It is the value for the money. As these prices rise, I'm not seeing the additional value for my money. I would likely go pro and used.

I had an original AC/DC Premium. It was an amazing game. I sold it to try new things for a very reasonable price. I would like to have another one. At the current asking price for that game, I'm just not interested.

#73 2 years ago

I played the Pro, bought the premium.

#74 2 years ago

I played the pro and premium, really would want a premium.

#75 2 years ago

Ive played both and bought the premium. All the extra features are 100% worth the cost!! The right ramp is not that hard of a shot contrary to others thoughts. The magna slings are wicked especially when they're cranked up in the settings.

#76 2 years ago

Played both on numerous occasions and to me the premium is just not that great for several reasons
Manga slings are ok prefer the regular ones on the pro
That right ramp on the premium well it's flawed also and shoots much better on the pro; as does the center ramp pleaser don't try to tell me otherwise the pro is so much smoother
Ohh the ecto goggles have very few images on them too
Save yourself almost 2k and get the better playing game the pro

#77 2 years ago

Never considered a Pro. Played a couple of Premiums, and they have me wanting one. Buy a Premium, else you will be making excuses in the future (like the AC/DC PRO crowd has years now ).

#78 2 years ago

Whats the real world price difference ...... 1700 ??? Played a premium and here are my thoughts.

For me I would have to upgrade all the flat plastics ( library and storage containment a must have for me ) maybe 200...... PREMIUM

Magna slings.... cool but conventional is just as good.....EVEN

Love the moving slimmer.....PREMIUM

Love the subway ramp.....PREMIUM

Like the ecto googles and think they will be implemented well in future code.....PREMIUM

Right ramp looks cool but sux as a shot ( bad geometry ).....PRO

Premium ( steel ramps ).....PREMIUM

Real support rods and steel arch ( 150 bucks and a must have for me ).....PREMIUM

Speed and flow.....PRO

So for me , I subtract at least 350 from the 1700 which brings it down to 1350 difference . Value of some of the cool ass features IMO another 750.. So from my point of view I dont think Im going to squabble over 500 or 600 dollars on this one.

Leaning toward a PREMIUM on this game as its just so damb feature packed with really original and cool looking features .. ( once i am certain the PF issues are straightned out )

#79 2 years ago

Wow I would hold off until the playfields aren't having problems with clear coat and that for certain the issue has been resolved completely before submitting an order at the present time.

#80 2 years ago

This is one where the premium really steps it up. If you are giving up TSPP you need another pin with the bells and whistles or you may be regretting it.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Snake Jaw, Spinners, color changing inserts, color changing GI, rising cross and Hammer w/ physical lock are big difference IMO.

Are they? When in normal mode, they act like weak slings...when doing tricks they sometimes just drop the ball down the middle for no reason.

Which is hard to hit and when hit, the ball usually just rolls back down at the curve.

Look cool, but don't really seem to do much of anything.

I'm usually of that opinion on every Pro vs. Prem...but strangely enough I'm starting to kind of dig the Pro more on this one. The extras don't seem to get you anything, and I like Slimer more on the Pro...his movement is nicer looking and more "ghosty"...the game looks less cluttered in general.

I view the cross pretty similar to the ecto goggles, they don't really add anything but they are both a cool effect. So far I haven't had the magnaslings drop the ball down the middle but they have thrown the ball to the outlanes, which is similar to normal slings. I don't think they are a game changer, but they will occasionally do some cool stuff. Also don't really view them as weak either, seem to work as they should. Slimer seems much harder to hit on the premium as he randomly moves side to side.

I like the hammer on met, but I've experienced it not function correctly and it's pretty frustrating. I also personally don't like the positioning of the hammer as it seems to clutter the playfield.

For me, I think I might try to go pro in the future because I'm not sure you really get 1800 more worth of fun going from a pro to a premium. A pro pinball is expensive enough as is.

#82 2 years ago

Well the Honeymoon stage is over and I can now review Ghostbusters without blinders on. First of all I could care less about price pumping a title or it's valuation. I own an LE and I have to say it has exceeded my expectations and has turned out to be one of my favorite games. I have played the pro several times and I feel it is a great game and great for location, but the Premium/LE is superior and the extra features & bling is worth it. There are certain titles that I feel the Pro is the way to go and there are certain titles where the Premium/LE are the way to go.

Ghostbusters Premium/LE is the way to go because it has very unique features like the magnetic slings. Some people will bitch about how difficult the game is and that when the Ghost-magnetic slings play catch back and forth with the ball and then decides to drain sdtm or throw the ball into the out lanes, people tend to get frustrated. I actually love it, and playing a game with a feature that makes it un-predictable is awesome and keeps you on your toes. It is like Iron Monger on Iron Man when the magnet throws your ball sdtm-pisses you off but at the same time-it is awesome and challenging. The unique magnetic slings make the Premium/LE worth it alone!

Is Ghostbusters too difficult with the flipper gap and magnetic slings?-absolutely not. The high scoring matrix and the new code with mode progression make this title easier and more enjoyable for many. I personally think the scoring matrix is set way too high, but maybe it is a psychological advantage to have people believe an abnormal high score means you have done well, even if it was a lousy game.

Ok now lets talk about the Ecto-goggles. When you have someone come over to play the game, especially non-pinheads the first thing they say is " Man that hologram feature is awesome!" People can't believe these cool features are part of modern pinball now. The moving Slimer is awesome and much more interactive than the pro. Well I have Slimer dragging his butt-who cares just adjust him up a bit-problem solved.

The subway lock is awesome and has been long over due to reintroduce. Such a great feature to utilize the space beneath a pinball machine. Again a feature that is worth it.

Well what about quality control? Yes this title had some issues with Stern transitioning into a new factory with new vendors but they are working on a fix for all defects. I got miss-matched side rails that were sent out for replacement by Stern. I have one insert with almost un-noticeable ghosting. Am I happy with the build quality-absolutely! The features, design, artwork, and gameplay are awesome. If you are really concerned about quality control and do not trust Stern to take care of issues(which they usually do) then simply buy one on the secondary market to insure there are no known issues. What about air-balls? I have mine set steep and have adjusted my flippers-I may have one or two air-balls once in awhile but not an issue. Air-balls are part of pinball.

For those of you on the fence about a Premium/LE or Pro let me push you over the fence. Life is short and it is only money-go for the gold you will not regret it on this one. The future code up-dates will make this game shine even more. I am really happy with my purchase and highly recommend this title. Is it a good game for the family? I think so, even with the level of difficulty and the flipper gap my kids really enjoy playing it and love the theme. I recommend setting the machine on five ball until you are able to further your progression into the game.

Overall Ghostbusters Premium/LE is the full package and I commend Stern for producing another fantastic title!

Oh-and almost forgot- "Bustin makes me feel good!"

#83 2 years ago

The premium looks amazing but its extra features could be taken advantage of better with more code. The extra movement of the Slimer mech on the premium is cool but is useless as there are no rules to take advantage of that extra movement. The Slimer mech on the premium should work like the crane toy in Batman, move to one spot and then not move until a player hits its, then move to the next spot, etc. Instead the Slimer mech on the premium just randomly moves to spots...Same goes for the Ecto Goggles, awesome feature but there's only a few images for it.

As a whole package I think the premium still has a lot going for it, much more then other premiums. I just hope that the code is developed more for the game.

#84 2 years ago

Pinmister, thanks for the review! Getting my premium this week and was nice to hear some good reviews

#85 2 years ago

Still kicking this around though. Would like to get some time on a pro to decide.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from thall17:

Pinmister, thanks for the review! Getting my premium this week and was nice to hear some good reviews

how long ago did you order your premium?

#87 2 years ago

GB is one of those sterns where you can get away with the pro without losing all that much. I have a premium, but you can easily get away with the pro without losing much gameplay.

#88 2 years ago

Funny NEO.... I was sold on a premium until a friend that owns one said the exact same thing. Now I'm up in the air

#89 2 years ago

Yeah, dang it Neo! Lol. I've been going back and forth, I was settled on a premium, like others said they both are great games and won't be disappointed with either. I don't care which one I get, the main thing I care about is that it has a good playfield in it!! I would be happier with a pro with a good PF than a premium with one of the crappy PFs.

#90 2 years ago

Go for the pro bro

#91 2 years ago

On some sterns, the pro is just as good as the premium.

TWD
MET
Tron
GB
Kiss
R.S. (rolling stones, not Royally sucks...Well kinda the same thing)
Xmen
Avengers

all are great games as pros, and you are not losing all that much. Some games make a big difference on how it's played due to the changes.

like:
AC/DC (bell diverts the ball behind the ramp)
TF (ramp shots are completely different)
GOT (almost feels like a different game completely)

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

On some sterns, the pro is just as good as the premium.
TWD
MET
Tron
GB
Kiss
R.S. (rolling stones, not Royally sucks...Well kinda the same thing)
Xmen
Avengers
all are great games as pros, and you are not losing all that much. Some games make a big difference on how it's played due to the changes.
like:
AC/DC (bell diverts the ball behind the ramp)
TF (ramp shots are completely different)
GOT (almost feels like a different game completely)

Agree with this list, but I think TWD premium/LE with the ramp and walker bombs feel quite a bit different for me. Just my opinion....

#93 2 years ago

I just think it's a subtle loss. Games shoot almost the same to where you play the pro's in the same style you play the premiums. Kinda what I was getting at. You don't have to change your play style or shot patterns to go from one to the other.

#94 2 years ago

For those on the fence and selecting pro just realize everyday you play that pin you'll wonder how much better it could be if you went premium. That's BC you know it's not the full gb experience. that for me would be enough to bump up to premium. You're already 5k in now you're going to second guess the toy you just bought?

#95 2 years ago

Premium all day every day, subway rules, moving slimer rules, Magna slings rules, ecto goggles rules.

These are the best features of the game, particularly the way the sub playfield lock combines with the bigger better ramp to create the disappearing ball in the subway which improves gameplay through a more rewarding and dramatic player experience. The shot and lock just "feels" significantly better than the pro.

The extra challenge as slimer just moves out of the way delaying your progression in the game urging you on to hit him before the Magna slings get hold of your ball and generate a diabolically cruel yet sensational impact on your game is a critical part of the GB experience.

Besides being an impressive feature to show your mates, the fun factor of smashing the ghosts in the ecto goggles further encourages you to collect as many ghosts as possible and just adds another level of player involvement in this game.

Let alone if you get an LE you have one of the best most insanely bright funky colourful pieces of pinball art around.

After many games on both, premium was a clear choice.

#96 2 years ago

I would just go for the Pro. The premium is so much more expensive, and for the money you're spending you really aren't getting much more. The Arcade near my house has a Prem model. It's cool but not worth the green that you'll have to shell out for it. If you have the money go Prem. But otherwise just save the rest and put it towards another table IMO.

#97 2 years ago

Just picked up a pro thinking I'll play it until I find a good premium, but I gotta say, I'm having a blast with the Pro. I thought I'd hate the right ramp but nothing but love here, great shot, unlike the feedback people are giving on premium/LE right ramp. Slings play well, flippers feel good, dare I say better than my flippers on GOT premium. Premium is awesome and has cool features but Ghostbusters is Ghostbusters. Spend 5k for an awesome game while you still can.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

Agree with this list, but I think TWD premium/LE with the ramp and walker bombs feel quite a bit different for me. Just my opinion....

I agree with this... TWD Premium is a way different experience than the pro... just start with the lighting...through additional magnet, crossbow, lifting ramp, extra bash toy. In fact, BG bash totally changes how that mode plays (especially when started with CDC). There's also walker bombs, which is a total strategy changer. Different strokes for different folks, but TWD is a title where the Prem offers a better overall game. Same with AC/DC.

#99 2 years ago

I have yet to play a Premium or LE but have well over 100 games on a Pro and would be completely satisfied going with a Pro model on this one. It's a fantastic game! The rules still need some polishing/tweaking but what's there is really fun. I honestly don't think i'd feel like I was missing out at all. The rules are the same and the shots feel good and that's what's most important to me. I've actually grown to really like the right ramp setup on the Pro and think I prefer that to the ramp that's on the Premium.

#100 2 years ago

The right ramp is horrible on the premium guys much better on the pro; never thought I would say that but it's sad but true

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 26.50
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
There are 258 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside