51%

(88 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
Travolta (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 years ago

GB Premium is possibly Sterns best pin ever. It's a no brainer, get GB now!

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

I asked the question so totally expected the various camps to weigh in. Seems like TH is a better value given the overall quality however I have found that buying without playing it first is a bad decision.

Yeah buying a game without playing it is a real bad decision. Buying a game without anyone being able to play it is a really terrible decision, just ask the guys who bought ...........nevermind im not even gonna go there.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I swear, you haven't played any other Stern pinball machines. You keep repeating this statement...I think most people who enjoy the game wouldn't even put it above 10 or so other bonafide excellent Sterns.

Yes, you must have no brain if you follow this advice! LOL

You're lucky I like it you because if I didn't I'd down vote the hell out of you!

#36 7 years ago

I think the OP should make another thread and do a poll and see how that turns out.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This is just our fun little thing. Let's cherish it

Absolutely, now go play your crappy pins and I'll sit back and admire my Ghostbusters!

You actually got some great titles, can't believe GB isn't in that lineup though.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

So much work just to make GB playable. That and you have to take a gamble with the whole ghosting issue. If you find the game isn't for you, you may have to take a loss on it if you're one of the unlucky ones and get a bad playfield.

The ghosting issues have been solved a long time ago in case you haven't noticed. SMFH....

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Confirmed? They said it was solved for the Premiums that shipped in September...I saw two brand new Premiums that were shipped/unboxed at the end of October - both had ghosted inserts.

That doesn't mean there will never be anymore defective playfields but let's be real, there hasn't been near as many complaints about ghosted playfields lately. I'd say that pretty much confirms that the issue has been resolved wouldn't you?

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

*shrug* ...I think a lot of Pinsiders purchased GB's up front & last year. Have many people posted about getting new ones and everything's groovy?

Well ghosting isn't limited to Ghostbusters you know right? They make many many other pins. My new one looks great so far and it has an October playfield. Only a couple hundred plays but I believe it will be fine just like my 2016 TWD and my 2016 GOT

#67 7 years ago

My GOT and WD both had really really bad crater like dimpling, now after many plays the playfield looks just fine. My GB is dimpling also but it's really hard to see because of the dark playfield colors. They will smooth out too. You are worrying too much!

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No, not worrying...I have a decade of experience with Sterns. How can I worry when I won't be buying new games? LOL I own 7 Sterns, and have owned many others. There are "regular dimples", and "pits" ...pits don't smooth out. I didn't start seeing pits until X-Men. There's a TWD LE on location near me, it looks like lumpy clay...yet the other Sterns next to it are super smooth. It truly is a crapshoot. You might get a perfect one, you might get a lumpy one. If I ever buy another game, I'd rather it have a thousand plays on it so I can see what I'm getting.

When I say this, believe what I am saying to you. I am more picky than just about anyone that you know! My TWD and GOT had the big lumpy looking pits in the playfields, I mean they looked BAD. They now look much much better and I'd say maybe like an orange peel but not really that bad. You have to be in perfect light to even see it and the playfields look beautiful to me and will keep getting better over time I believe. As picky as I am, I cannot imagine it bothering anyone if it doesn't bother me. The first few hundred plays though, they did look bad for sure and I wasn't really happy about it at all.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's a game on route. How many plays till it smooths out ?

Not sure if it will ever even out? Mine isn't that bad but you are also looking at it in a perfect lighting reflection. That's not what you see when you walk up to the machine, that's what you see when you have an overhead bright light and you bend down at just the right angle. I'm not saying it's no big deal or it's ok, I just think that you are using perfect conditions to make your point. I guess you'd have to ask Vid if that will ever even out or not, he's the expert not me.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I will say that I've owned many Sterns, and the playfield dimpling on my GB is the most extreme I have ever seen.

But if you can't see it does it really bother you? I doubt if company comes over and squats down and says...... Holy sh*t look at those playfield dimples! Lol

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wrong. That's literally how it looks like when you walk up to it. This is a dark arcade. The light is from the backglass. I wasn't using any trickery. Try to trust my decade of experience in this hobby for once. Again - difference between dimples and pits. I've seen a ton of TWD's that look great. I'm giving you an example of one that doesn't. I know how to strategically find dimples on games. My games look good from the player perspective but if I shine a light on them and look at the right angle - they're dimpled as F. Again - difference between dimples and pits. I noticed pits for the first time on X-Men. Saw them again on ST - again, not all...my friends looked like this TWD. Mine looked pretty good. Anyway -long winded way of saying: it's a crapshoot. It's a gamble if you're getting a good playfield with NIB these days. Glad you got good ones.

Yeah but what are you going to do, not buy a pin that you love because every once in awhile Stern has bad quality? Every one has bad quality sometimes, JJP, Spooky! Williams did! Bally did etc. guarantee you that the majority of stern games are just fine. They can't be too bad because they are selling the hell out of them. I understand your concerns believe me, but I think you are over reacting a bit also.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well that's the great thing...I'm not buying new games on launch anymore - cuz no one knows if they're going to love it before they've played it! By the time I play a game and know I love it - I'll buy one used that I can inspect before purchase! Problem solved.

I won't buy a pin without playing it or at least seeing it streamed and people giving it good reviews. Unfortunately for me there is only one barcade about 40 miles away and they may or may not have what I want to test out. I'd never order a pin sight unseen personally. I have nothing against buying used either, but I do kinda like that NIB smell for some reason.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Used games usually still have that smell. Collectors sometimes sell HUO games with less than a few hundred plays. Good as new.

Yeah but the problem is they always want new money or more for them. That's how it seems to work in my area at least.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lol alright. I am so clueless when it comes to card games that I don't feel like I have a right to judge WPT. I think it's ugly ...but that's about as far as I can critique it.

You clueless? Who would have ever thought?

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

TBF you are likely to have issues either way. I assume any new pin will need adjustments and little things may break. From a PF wear standpoint though GB is a bit higher risk.
Buy a HUO on either as the safest option, check it out first and make sure all is good. That is probably the safest option.

Why would a GB playfield wear any more than any other pin?

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

It seems from research on Pinside that GB has far more reliability and quality control issues. I really enjoyed playing GB premium on location recently however I expect to have next to no issues when purchasing a NIB pin.

This is pinball, you are probably going to have issues even with a NIB pin. There are so many things that can go wrong that a few things surely will.

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's absolutely fun. Love it. Didn't expect to. It's defied all my expectations while GB failed to live up to expectations.

Go pound sand!

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

It shouldn't. It was a reference to current pf quality variability. I still say grab a huo of either as the best option.

I think they are fine now for the most part. If you're talking about the old ones that ghosted and stuff I'd say stay away from those but anything current is probably ok.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Since Aerosmith and bm66 still seem iffy I'm not yet convinced! I want a good 6 months or so of boring good pf's

I haven't really seen many if any bad quality playfields with BM66, just a poorly designed game more than anything. There is the AS with the ghosted insert pic but I don't think that's any reason to sound the alarms just yet.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

who-dey are you secretly Dan Aykroyd?

I would say I wish, but since he's dead I better not say that lol.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He's not dead. You're thinking of Harold Ramis.

Lol no I thought he wasn't with us anymore.......geeeeze sorry, that wasn't cool. Not sure why I thought that?

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Dan's ok, no news online. I was worried for a second that another great actor passed away.

Sorry lol. I don't know why I thought that but I did for some reason. I'm glad he's still with us because he's a cool guy.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Dan Aykroyd is dead? Did you do it Who-Dey

Haha no way dude. I like Dan too much!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.95
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-or-hobbit-smaug-le?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.