51%

(88 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
Travolta (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Not sure either is good for beginners.

GB is full of cheapness and soul-sucking anti-fun. Everyone in the house will hate it.

Hobbit is an incredible cinematic journey with amazing rules, features, sound, shots, toys...it's got everything! Everyone in the house might be confused by it. It's overwhelming at first, but once you get the rhyme and reason behind everything, it's brilliant.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Genuine question here. I've only played a few games on the Hobbit, but what's the "rhyme and reason" behind the upper flipper to seemingly nowhere? That seems to be a JJP trademark.

The drop targets in front of Smaug.

-Sometimes when the ball is in the pops, as it comes out, one of the targets will be lit in light blue...you can hit it from the upper flipper.

-A few modes have you loading the ball into the Windlance (the left outlane has a peg that holds the ball, and a coil that shoots it)...the windlance launches it to the upper flipper to set up a shot to those drop targets

Those are really the main uses for it...but sometimes I flip it to hit a beast or graze the captive ball....or hold it so the ball hops off it and rolls over the LOCK rollovers.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Thanks. Maybe I'm just of the mindset, perhaps wrongly, that the third flipper should be to hit a shot that none of the other flippers can make, like a ramp or a loop.

Sure, but the windlance can't set up a shot to the main flippers. A ball coming from the pops can't set up the main flippers. It's just an extra thing to do. You don't have to use that flipper if you don't want to. When you shoot the left orbit, you can let it come back on the right and go to the bottom right flipper...or use the upper flipper to hit targets.

On Hobbit, everything is context. Keith managed to make so much happen with that limited space under glass. No shot just does one thing. It's generally "Shot does this, unless you do that first, then shot does something different". For instance, sometimes an orbit shot loops...sometimes a magnet catches it and drops it into the pops (which then can set up the upper flipper shot)...sometimes you get a "cave lock" if you light the orbit locks by spelling LOCK 2 or 3 times before locking a ball with Smaug.

Or even the ramps...sure, they're just two ramps...sometimes they light the beast inserts, sometimes they start a mode, sometimes they lock for multiball, sometimes they give you more time in a mode, sometimes they let you flip the book pages to choose a different mode.....sometimes the right ramp sends the ball to Smaug - sometimes to the left inlane - sometimes to the Windlance. Anyone who says the game is "bare" (and I used to) really hasn't played it...there are so many little things that change and affect gameplay...it's constantly interesting.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

TH has a really open design and deep code. But it relies on the popups and code to create playing interest. They block shots over and over, preventing some flow to the machine.

There's a setting that changes makes it harder to light the beast inserts, thus making it so the beasts don't pop up as much. Tweak that setting, and it balances things out nicely. More flow, and the beasts feel more like a surprise when they do show up.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ghostbusters, and it's not even close.

Hobbit, and it's not even close.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

GB Premium is possibly Sterns best pin ever.

I swear, you haven't played any other Stern pinball machines. You keep repeating this statement...I think most people who enjoy the game wouldn't even put it above 10 or so other bonafide excellent Sterns.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's a no brainer, get GB now!

Yes, you must have no brain if you follow this advice! LOL

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

We all enjoyed TAF the most then TWDLE which only I really liked because everyone else found it too hard.

If they think TWD is too hard, they'll hate GB. I don't really find TWD too hard, but GB makes me angry with its non-stop cheap drains and airballs of death every time. If you get GB, your family will disown you lol

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You're lucky I like it you because if I didn't I'd down vote the hell out of you!

This is just our fun little thing. Let's cherish it

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You actually got some great titles, can't believe GB isn't in that lineup though.

Yes, you can believe. BELEIVE! Lol. Those great games ARE the reason I cancelled my GB. I love games that are well designed, fun to shoot, and have fun code. GB has none of that compared to the games I own. I'm at the point where something has to go if something new comes in. I'm not willing to cut any of my games loose for GB. If I really wanted to play it, there's an LE and at least 3 Pros on location near me. But I don't lol.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

I played the Hobbit and it did nothing for me.

Once, twice? With sound audible? I know people can't always play under "ideal" conditions (I've been told I have to play the "RIGHT" Ghostbusters) ...but Hobbit is ideal when the sound is nice and loud - thankfully you can plug headphones into it if you're at an arcade. It's like watching a movie on VHS in mono vs. Blu-Ray in 5.1...one experience will leave you with a vastly different impression.

Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I don't know how anyone could even compare the two they are completely different beast I happen to own both an absolutely love both When I want to play a fast challenging hard shooting game I play gb when I want to play a fun story driven multiball game I play th !

I like "quest" games and "fast buttkicker" games...but, if I was gonna play a fast buttkicker, there are a lot of Sterns in that category that don't have the code/design problems GB has. Iron Man, Tron, Spider-Man...I'd gravitate that way for my fast game craving.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The ghosting issues have been solved a long time ago in case you haven't noticed. SMFH....

Confirmed? They said it was solved for the Premiums that shipped in September...I saw two brand new Premiums that were shipped/unboxed at the end of October - both had ghosted inserts.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That doesn't mean there will never be anymore defective playfields but let's be real, there hasn't been near as many complaints about ghosted playfields lately. I'd say that pretty much confirms that the issue has been resolved wouldn't you?

*shrug* ...I think a lot of Pinsiders purchased GB's up front & last year. Have many people posted about getting new ones and everything's groovy?

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well ghosting isn't limited to Ghostbusters you know right? They make many many other pins. My new one looks great so far and it has an October playfield. Only a couple hundred plays but I believe it will be fine just like my 2016 TWD and my 2016 GOT

Well, hopefully it's in the past...but then you've got dimple-pits, code issues, holy high prices, Batman...too many reasons not to buy new Sterns right now. I've purchased a lot of NIB Sterns...but I'll let someone else take the gamble at this point and if there's anything I want, I'll get it used down the road.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My GOT and WD both had really really bad crater like dimpling, now after many plays the playfield looks just fine. My GB is dimpling also but it's really hard to see because of the dark playfield colors. They will smooth out too. You are worrying too much!

No, not worrying...I have a decade of experience with Sterns. How can I worry when I won't be buying new games? LOL I own 7 Sterns, and have owned many others. There are "regular dimples", and "pits" ...pits don't smooth out. I didn't start seeing pits until X-Men. There's a TWD LE on location near me, it looks like lumpy clay...yet the other Sterns next to it are super smooth. It truly is a crapshoot. You might get a perfect one, you might get a lumpy one. If I ever buy another game, I'd rather it have a thousand plays on it so I can see what I'm getting.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

When I say this, believe what I am saying to you. I am more picky than just about anyone that you know! My TWD and GOT had the big lumpy looking pits in the playfields, I mean they looked BAD. They now look much much better and I'd say maybe like an orange peel but not really that bad. You have to be in perfect light to even see it and the playfields look beautiful to me and will keep getting better over time I believe. As picky as I am, I cannot imagine it bothering anyone if it doesn't bother me. The first few hundred plays though, they did look bad for sure and I wasn't really happy about it at all.

Here's a game on route. How many plays till it smooths out ?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not sure if it will ever even out? Mine isn't that bad but you are also looking at it in a perfect lighting reflection. That's not what you see when you walk up to the machine, that's what you see when you have an overhead bright light and you bend down at just the right angle.

Wrong. That's literally how it looks like when you walk up to it. This is a dark arcade. The light is from the backglass. I wasn't using any trickery. Try to trust my decade of experience in this hobby for once. Again - difference between dimples and pits. I've seen a ton of TWD's that look great. I'm giving you an example of one that doesn't. I know how to strategically find dimples on games. My games look good from the player perspective but if I shine a light on them and look at the right angle - they're dimpled as F. Again - difference between dimples and pits. I noticed pits for the first time on X-Men. Saw them again on ST - again, not all...my friends looked like this TWD. Mine looked pretty good. Anyway -long winded way of saying: it's a crapshoot. It's a gamble if you're getting a good playfield with NIB these days. Glad you got good ones.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah but what are you going to do, not buy a pin that you love because every once in awhile Stern has bad quality?

Well that's the great thing...I'm not buying new games on launch anymore - cuz no one knows if they're going to love it before they've played it! By the time I play a game and know I love it - I'll buy one used that I can inspect before purchase! Problem solved.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I won't buy a pin without playing it or at least seeing it streamed and people giving it good reviews. Unfortunately for me there is only one barcade about 40 miles away and they may or may not have what I want to test out. I'd never order a pin sight unseen personally. I have nothing against buying used either, but I do kinda like that NIB smell for some reason.

Used games usually still have that smell. Collectors sometimes sell HUO games with less than a few hundred plays. Good as new.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

24 new posts and 21 are by RH and WD going back and forth. Get a room guys. We get it, WD loves Ghostbusters and Stern, RH doesn't.

I love a ton of Stern games! I think the only ones I really dislike are X-Men, GB, and 24. Maybe WPT, but that's pure theme....by all accounts it's a good game for those who like Poker.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No, it's not a good game for those who love poker. The call outs are horrid and action is boring. Has an amazing rule set, but that's about it. If I want poker, I'll go play poker. Not pinball.
As for the topic at hand; I vote hobbit over GB......still.

Lol alright. I am so clueless when it comes to card games that I don't feel like I have a right to judge WPT. I think it's ugly ...but that's about as far as I can critique it.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You clueless? Who would have ever thought?

Yo mama

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Then Why did you buy a Hobbit? That game is not fun to shoot at all.

It's absolutely fun. Love it. Didn't expect to. It's defied all my expectations while GB failed to live up to expectations.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Not saying GB is that great a pin to shoot either but man Hobbit was really not fun to shoot at all. To each their own I guess.

It's a relatively standard fan layout. Those traditionally shoot fine. The orbits and ramps feel good. The gobble holes and drops all feel good. The beasts are fun to hit. So - there's that...nothing unorthodox about the layout or any reason it's not fun to shoot....but then the rules just set it apart from just being a standard layout, not to mention the brilliant presentation that brings it all home. Really the most incredible orchestrated music I've ever heard in a pin.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sounds & display effects are the best part of the game. Beast pop ups come up way too much and get annoying after a bit. MM did it right in not over using the trolls.

You can change this in the settings. The harder you set it, the more ramp shots you need before the Beast inserts in the inlanes light up. Simple tweak, balances the game nicely.

Quoted from smassa:

Orbits are slow

Maybe it's how I have my flipper strength, but I don't find them slow at all. Sure, it's a widebody so it won't be like Iron Man...but it's on par with STTNG or IJ. Plus, the orbits are more than just orbits. I love lighting the orbit locks and having the magnet grab the ball and drop it into the "cave" for Mode Multiballs.

Quoted from smassa:

& the upper flipper is a waste since you can hit anything from the lower flipper just as easy if not easier.

Again, it's the context of the rules. A pops exit to the upper flipper sets up a shot to the DWARF targets. Yes you can hit those targets from the lower flippers, but the context of what goes to what and where changes all the time due to the rules.

Quoted from smassa:

Ramps are way to easy to hit. Its a not that difficult a game & the ball times are way too long.

Yes, it's long...it's an adventure and quest...it's The Hobbit lol. You've played LOTR, yes? Not every game is going to be 3 minutes and done. The beauty of Keith's games is that even though there are long games...you're ALWAYS seeing new things! What is it...36 modes? You'll never see mode repetition within one of those long games! I'm not saying I want every game to be a super long adventure...I love BSD, IM and Tron....but when it's done as well as LOTR and Hobbit, it's an amazing experience.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would say I wish, but since he's dead I better not say that lol.

He's not dead. You're thinking of Harold Ramis.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 103.00
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-or-hobbit-smaug-le?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.