New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 182024)

Ghostbusters Premium or Hobbit Smaug LE

By violinfather

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 127 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chrisjens2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Ghostbusters Premium vs The Hobbit in one pin collection”

• Ghostbusters premium 43 votes
    49%
  • The Hobbit Smaug SE 44 votes
    51%

(87 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
Travolta (resized).jpg

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's absolutely fun. Love it. Didn't expect to. It's defied all my expectations while GB failed to live up to expectations.

Go pound sand!

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why would a GB playfield wear any more than any other pin?

It shouldn't. It was a reference to current pf quality variability. I still say grab a huo of either as the best option.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

It shouldn't. It was a reference to current pf quality variability. I still say grab a huo of either as the best option.

I think they are fine now for the most part. If you're talking about the old ones that ghosted and stuff I'd say stay away from those but anything current is probably ok.

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think they are fine now for the most part. If you're talking about the old ones that ghosted and stuff I'd say stay away from those but anything current is probably ok.

Since Aerosmith and bm66 still seem iffy I'm not yet convinced! I want a good 6 months or so of boring good pf's

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's absolutely fun. Love it. Didn't expect to. It's defied all my expectations while GB failed to live up to expectations.

Not saying GB is that great a pin to shoot either but man Hobbit was really not fun to shoot at all. To each their own I guess.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Since Aerosmith and bm66 still seem iffy I'm not yet convinced! I want a good 6 months or so of boring good pf's

I haven't really seen many if any bad quality playfields with BM66, just a poorly designed game more than anything. There is the AS with the ghosted insert pic but I don't think that's any reason to sound the alarms just yet.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Not saying GB is that great a pin to shoot either but man Hobbit was really not fun to shoot at all. To each their own I guess.

It's a relatively standard fan layout. Those traditionally shoot fine. The orbits and ramps feel good. The gobble holes and drops all feel good. The beasts are fun to hit. So - there's that...nothing unorthodox about the layout or any reason it's not fun to shoot....but then the rules just set it apart from just being a standard layout, not to mention the brilliant presentation that brings it all home. Really the most incredible orchestrated music I've ever heard in a pin.

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

It seems from research on Pinside that GB has far more reliability and quality control issues. I really enjoyed playing GB premium on location recently however I expect to have next to no issues when purchasing a NIB pin.

My GB has been completely reliable - no clear issues, I did have to make some tweaks to smooth it out but did on my hobbit as well. Out of the box it played fine no issues.

When I got my hobbit some switches were hooked up wrong (left and right ramp optos reversed) the smaug magnet and some other switches on the left ramp were not hooked up at all, a bunch of switches were not gapped and in the stuck closed position. And a few lights had issues. Also, the playfield dimples just the same as ghostbusters does if you were wondering.

All I'm saying is dont listen to the loudmouths on here, I think people just need something to complain about. GB plays great and is alot of fun - the only real issue it had was when the inserts/clear were all messed up but it seems the games are good now. All other complaints are blown out of proportion and all games have little issues, its a great playing and fun game (so is the hobbit).

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's a relatively standard fan layout. Those traditionally shoot fine. The orbits and ramps feel good. The gobble holes and drops all feel good. The beasts are fun to hit. So - there's that...nothing unorthodox about the layout or any reason it's not fun to shoot....but then the rules just set it apart from just being a standard layout, not to mention the brilliant presentation that brings it all home. Really the most incredible orchestrated music I've ever heard in a pin.

Sounds & display effects are the best part of the game. Beast pop ups come up way too much and get annoying after a bit. MM did it right in not over using the trolls. Orbits are slow & the upper flipper is a waste since you can hit anything from the lower flipper just as easy if not easier. Ramps are way to easy to hit. Its a not that difficult a game & the ball times are way too long.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sounds & display effects are the best part of the game. Beast pop ups come up way too much and get annoying after a bit. MM did it right in not over using the trolls. Orbits are slow & the upper flipper is a waste since you can hit anything from the lower flipper just as easy if not easier. Ramps are way to easy to hit. Its a not that difficult a game & the ball times are way too long.

Some people will think that and many others the complete opposite. You are missing major things about the games rules.

Once you beat the Hobbits 30 modes, 3 mini wizard modes, and defeat Smaug you can say it's not that difficult, lol. There's a ton to do and Keith coded it all brilliantly with unique rules. Combine that with David Thiels great audio work and over 30 unique tracks from Two Steps from Hell and it's easy to see why so many people enjoy the game.

Not everyone is going to like the game, same with Ghostbusters.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Sounds & display effects are the best part of the game. Beast pop ups come up way too much and get annoying after a bit. MM did it right in not over using the trolls.

You can change this in the settings. The harder you set it, the more ramp shots you need before the Beast inserts in the inlanes light up. Simple tweak, balances the game nicely.

Quoted from smassa:

Orbits are slow

Maybe it's how I have my flipper strength, but I don't find them slow at all. Sure, it's a widebody so it won't be like Iron Man...but it's on par with STTNG or IJ. Plus, the orbits are more than just orbits. I love lighting the orbit locks and having the magnet grab the ball and drop it into the "cave" for Mode Multiballs.

Quoted from smassa:

& the upper flipper is a waste since you can hit anything from the lower flipper just as easy if not easier.

Again, it's the context of the rules. A pops exit to the upper flipper sets up a shot to the DWARF targets. Yes you can hit those targets from the lower flippers, but the context of what goes to what and where changes all the time due to the rules.

Quoted from smassa:

Ramps are way to easy to hit. Its a not that difficult a game & the ball times are way too long.

Yes, it's long...it's an adventure and quest...it's The Hobbit lol. You've played LOTR, yes? Not every game is going to be 3 minutes and done. The beauty of Keith's games is that even though there are long games...you're ALWAYS seeing new things! What is it...36 modes? You'll never see mode repetition within one of those long games! I'm not saying I want every game to be a super long adventure...I love BSD, IM and Tron....but when it's done as well as LOTR and Hobbit, it's an amazing experience.

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Again, it's the context of the rules. A pops exit to the upper flipper sets up a shot to the DWARF targets. Yes you can hit those targets from the lower flippers, but the context of what goes to what and where changes all the time due to the rules.

Re-lighting the kickback by hitting the captive ball (when lit) with the upper flipper when the ball exits the pops is pretty satisfying. Getting that light blue DWARF target for barrel kicks is as well.

#113 3 years ago

The hobbits long ball times don't bother me one bit, the game sucks you in as you progress. Into the Fire and Barrel Frenzy are really great modes, never gets old, always a rush. Hobbit is anything but slow, multiball heaven, which is why kids love it so much. Some things are easy to achieve, like smaug mb, others very difficult. I also like the pop ups as they force you to choose different paths. I've said it before, it's a totally immersive game, more than anything I've ever played before. Metallica and twd can feel this way too if you can get a good game going, obviously though they are very different kind of games.

#114 3 years ago

who-dey are you secretly Dan Aykroyd?

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

who-dey are you secretly Dan Aykroyd?

I would say I wish, but since he's dead I better not say that lol.

#116 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Dan Aykroyd is dead? Did you do it Who-Dey

#117 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Dan's ok, no news online. I was worried for a second that another great actor passed away.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He's not dead. You're thinking of Harold Ramis.

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

All I'm saying is dont listen to the loudmouths on here, I think people just need something to complain about. GB plays great and is alot of fun - the only real issue it had was when the inserts/clear were all messed up but it seems the games are good now. All other complaints are blown out of proportion and all games have little issues, its a great playing and fun game (so is the hobbit).

Yes but if you had to pick one of them which one would it be and why?

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He's not dead. You're thinking of Harold Ramis.

Lol no I thought he wasn't with us anymore.......geeeeze sorry, that wasn't cool. Not sure why I thought that?

#121 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Dan's ok, no news online. I was worried for a second that another great actor passed away.

Sorry lol. I don't know why I thought that but I did for some reason. I'm glad he's still with us because he's a cool guy.

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Haha no way dude. I like Dan too much!

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

Yes but if you had to pick one of them which one would it be and why?

Hobbit is much deeper and once you understand it, you're family will enjoy it much more getting further into a game. Hobbit is my choice easily given your family status.

#124 3 years ago

i have a GB pro and a THSE if one had to go id keep the hobbit. that said i love both GB fast and fun the hobbit is a journey and much better build quality can't go wrong either way!

#125 3 years ago

I was asking myself this very question. I proudly brought home a Hobbit this evening after work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 199.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Osaka
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside