Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bent98
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161227_184940 (resized).jpg
    20161214_181322 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9332 (resized).JPG
    GB 333 (resized).jpg
    GB 222 (resized).jpg
    GB 111 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1496 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1491 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1213 (resized).JPG
    gb shooter le2 (resized).jpg
    gb le blue (resized).jpg
    gb le pink1 (resized).jpg
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

In about 3-4 weeks I will finally own my first pinball machine. I've been searching the mod threads on Pinside and see there are many mods for Ghostbusters. Since I am a noob and never owned a pin before I was wondering what mods should I start off with that are specific to game performance and game play reliability. I've heard people discuss switching out flipper rubbers, put protectors to prevent air balls and lane guides to prevent air balls. I'd like to get those type of things ordered ahead of time some when the game arrives, I can install right away. I figure with all the issues with the play fields getting dimples those type of mods will help.

If someone could also recommend central place I get everything for a good price that would be great aswell.

#2 7 years ago

To be honest, since this is your first game, I wouldn't do anything. Play it a little while, see how you like it, then figure out what you might want to do to enhance it. Gb seems to have airball and slimer issues, both of which affect game play, so maybe focus on that. We have lighting mods for GB and a cool ecto car, but I wouldn't start there with your first pin.

Dimples are normal, don't lose any sleep over them. Stern rubber is perfectly fine, maybe change out the balls to the polished ones pinball life sells. Old pings on here I believe has an airball deflector.

Our mods are at Lermods.com.

Enjoy the game, it's a great first pin.

#3 7 years ago

The first two things I always do to my new Sterns is get a ModFather candy apple shooter rod and get a Pinnovators headphone jack.

#4 7 years ago

Well as far as gameplay, the first thing I would do is get one of Art's airball plastics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-air-ball-protector-now-available

Old ad, but that's what you'll need. I bought the smaller springs for the drop targets that helped. Other than that I moved my outlane guides up a bit and never looked back. I would recommend a shaker motor as it really enhances the experience, and I just really like games with shakers.

lots of good info in all the Ghostbusters threads (all 27 of them).

#5 7 years ago

I'm a fan of PDI glass. It's expensive but very nice to look through.

#6 7 years ago

Here are a few examples of some shooters that look nice on the Ghostbusters. The green would be for the LE. It matches the Zombie Yeti art style with the swirls representing the ghosts.

gb shooter le2 (resized).jpggb shooter le2 (resized).jpg
    gb le blue (resized).jpggb le blue (resized).jpggb le pink1 (resized).jpggb le pink1 (resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

I would definately get one of arts airball protectors. I thought I might be OK without it but decided the game was unplayable without it so had to order one. Not fun waiting to play your new game.

#11 7 years ago

Things I have done. I just added a shaker motor yesterday and highly recommend that. Shortened the right ramp by shaving off the hexagonal post, in hindsight it would have been easier to just order a smaller one. This makes the right ramp smooth as butter, and much more achievable. Added some foam to the back of the standup targets in front of the left ramp and bent them sightly forward to stop air balls. Added art's air ball protector. Get the ecto goggle protector plate that stern give out and screw that in. The lights near the slings are blinding so I covered them on the boards with electrical tape, small piece of green, same as the lighting bolt so now they are easy on the eyes and green matches the game. shortened the springs on the stand ups. Added centre post and lane plastic piece and green flipper rubbers. I think that's it other than make sure you turn the scream effect off in settings if you don't want to have a heart attack or wake young kids asleep. I have a love hate relationship with it but love it more after the last update.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

I'm a fan of PDI glass. It's expensive but very nice to look through.

I have Invisiglass but they both look incredible on a game with such a 3-D playfield. The ball looks like it's going to jump out of the game when it flies up the left ramp.

#13 7 years ago

I really appreciate everyone prompt response. What a wonderful community! Keep em coming. Looks like I will get PDI glass, shaker motor, and the lane and air plastics for sure.

#14 7 years ago

Still waiting on my game but got the air ball protector. I also ordered the Hot Wheels Ecto 1 to put on it. I plan to light it up so I'll probably grab the plug & play spike mod adapter.
    I'll get cliffys too.

IMG_1213 (resized).JPGIMG_1213 (resized).JPG

#15 7 years ago

JJ, do you have a pciture of what your "Ghostbusters: No Slime GameBlades™" look like installed on a GB machine vs the one's Stern are selling?

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Still waiting on my game but got the air ball protector. I also ordered the Hot Wheels Ecto 1 to put on it. I plan to light it up so I'll probably grab the plug & play spike mod adapter.
    I'll get cliffys too.

Can you provide more info on what it takes to light it up? I saw sites selling ecto-1 key chain cars and modded them to light up but they want $109 which in my eyes is way to $$$ for that.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Well as far as gameplay, the first thing I would do is get one of Art's airball plastics.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-air-ball-protector-now-available
    Old ad, but that's what you'll need. I bought the smaller springs for the drop targets that helped. Other than that I moved my outlane guides up a bit and never looked back. I would recommend a shaker motor as it really enhances the experience, and I just really like games with shakers.
    lots of good info in all the Ghostbusters threads (all 27 of them).

Can you share where to purchase drop target springs, install, and why?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcfly:

Things I have done. I just added a shaker motor yesterday and highly recommend that. Shortened the right ramp by shaving off the hexagonal post, in hindsight it would have been easier to just order a smaller one. This makes the right ramp smooth as butter, and much more achievable. Added some foam to the back of the standup targets in front of the left ramp and bent them sightly forward to stop air balls. Added art's air ball protector. Get the ecto goggle protector plate that stern give out and screw that in. The lights near the slings are blinding so I covered them on the boards with electrical tape, small piece of green, same as the lighting bolt so now they are easy on the eyes and green matches the game. shortened the springs on the stand ups. Added centre post and lane plastic piece and green flipper rubbers. I think that's it other than make sure you turn the scream effect off in settings if you don't want to have a heart attack or wake young kids asleep. I have a love hate relationship with it but love it more after the last update.

Do you have pics of the ramp mod? You mentioned Stern is providing a goggle protect plate? Do i get that through the distributor? Can you share more about where to get added centre post and lane plastic piece?

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Can you share where to purchase drop target springs, install, and why?

My Scoleri Brothers drop targets were having issues where they were being hit and sometimes not dropping. They're just shorter springs that attach to the targets so they become more sensitive. They may have addressed this issue in production and you may not need them.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4251

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Can you provide more info on what it takes to light it up? I saw sites selling ecto-1 key chain cars and modded them to light up but they want $109 which in my eyes is way to $$$ for that.

Not a "keychain" car...

http://lermods.com/products/ghostbusters-pinball-illuminated-flashing-sirens-ecto-1-car-mod

#21 7 years ago

Ah ok. Why so darn expensive? Isnt the car like $15?

#22 7 years ago

Anyone buy the Ghostbusters Premium/LE Full Playfield Protector or Ghostbusters Upgrade Kit?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=490&pg=1

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from bent98:

Ah ok. Why so darn expensive? Isnt the car like $15?

Think about what costs there are running a business and time isn't free. Most of our mods are pretty competitively priced, but there are some that just cost more, this is one of our highest priced mods, but it takes time to make it. We also pretty much guaranteed our mods for life...yes, for life! Have an issue with one of our mods, send it back and we'll fix it free or replace it. That should be worth something for a buyer. This is a really cool mod!

#24 7 years ago

Dont forget this. That little stock sneeze flap will not protect the front of the reflective glass.

Hookedonpinball.com

IMG_1491 (resized).JPGIMG_1491 (resized).JPG

IMG_1496 (resized).JPGIMG_1496 (resized).JPG

#25 7 years ago

What is that cliffy kit people are referring to? ....cliffy and get a full set for GB (not on his site). The Cliffy's should help keep the shooter lane decent, protect the drain, and scoleri drops -- though, some just mylar the drops.
    Is it this?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4255

Also, whats the difference between that and this?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1043-arts-arcade/00489-ghostbusters-lane-and-sling-guard-25-only-the-best-

#26 7 years ago

Vigo is a must have mod for my Premium.

#27 7 years ago

GB Repair Videos :

#29 7 years ago

Im also getting a premium machine,this weekend. I have ordered arts lane protectors and air ball protectors. Im hoping this is all I need to make sure I dont break stuff. Im excited. Its my first pin.
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the info.. helpful community here. its great

#30 7 years ago

Sure

Pinball Life Creates a product that looks cool, keeps balls from Hopping outlanes around 80%-85%
    Optional Center lane post, that drops down. $44.95

Mine, Arts, Prevents Outlane Hopping, 90%-95% AND Protects the Sling Shots $25

UlekStores, is Great too! Same protection, 85%-90%+ $49.95

LSOG has a set as well.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from billrz:

Im also getting a premium machine,this weekend. I have ordered arts lane protectors and air ball protectors. Im hoping this is all I need to make sure I dont break stuff. Im excited. Its my first pin.
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the info.. helpful community here. its great

My new premium arrived yesterday with a Jan 10 PF date on it. It has the Ecto goggle side protector installed. It also has raised outlane guides per my friend with an LE. I haven't noted any issues in the outlanes. The PF is excellent with no ghosting etc.

I added Art's airball protector and have seen only a few random air balls in other areas.

#32 7 years ago

Can you send a picture of the raised outlane guides?

#33 7 years ago

Sure. I'll take one tonight.

#34 7 years ago

Custom Tilt Graphics Inc. GameBlades™
    http://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/ghostbusters

GB 111 (resized).jpgGB 111 (resized).jpg

GB 222 (resized).jpgGB 222 (resized).jpg

GB 333 (resized).jpgGB 333 (resized).jpg

#35 7 years ago

Would like a mirrored set with pink slime

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

Can you send a picture of the raised outlane guides?

IMG_9332 (resized).JPGIMG_9332 (resized).JPG

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sure
    Pinball Life Creates a product that looks cool, keeps balls from Hopping outlanes around 80%-85%
    Optional Center lane post, that drops down. $44.95
    Mine, Arts, Prevents Outlane Hopping, 90%-95% AND Protects the Sling Shots $25
    UlekStores, is Great too! Same protection, 85%-90%+ $49.95
    LSOG has a set as well.

oldpingguys is awesome!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

oldpingguys is awesome!

Thank you!

I wish my wife took pictures of me covered in plastic dust for 2 days, making a dozen
    different test versions, until this was the result. Im especially proud, as Id never done this before.

#39 7 years ago

Any idea how to raise the outlane guides?

Mine look similar to yours Nevus (Aug or Sept build I think) but I'm still get a fair amount of hopping even with plastic lane guards installed (especially on the left hand side). Would it just be a case of gently hammering these guides up a bit from under the playfield and tightening from there?

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

Mine look similar to yours Nevus (Aug or Sept build I think) but I'm still get a fair amount of hopping even with plastic lane guards installed (especially on the left hand side). Would it just be a case of gently hammering these guides up a bit from under the playfield and tightening from there?

I am soon starting some designing on bent metal lane guides that will sit above the existing ones, so hopefully will solve this issue and look clean

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

Which guides?

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

I don't know. My bud was helping me unbox it and said they were raised up compared to his LE.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

Yes. I did this to mine on day one.
    Simply take a hammer and a small punch like a safety tork screwdriver or something similar and tap on the underside where the wireform is located. You can only do the top portion of each side because the lower end come out under the flipper mechs and can not be accessed.
    I just tapped them up about 1/4 in. or less and have not had a hop over since.
    You can tell if yours are all the way down if they are flush with the wood on the bottom of the plalyfield.
    Stern liked to hammer them all the way in. Glad to hear they may have changed this practice.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Arcade:

Yes. I did this to mine on day one.
    Simply take a hammer and a small punch like a safety tork screwdriver or something similar and tap on the underside where the wireform is located. You can only do the top portion of each side because the lower end come out under the flipper mechs and can not be accessed.
    I just tapped them up about 1/4 in. or less and have not had a hop over since.
    You can tell if yours are all the way down if they are flush with the wood on the bottom of the plalyfield.
    Stern liked to hammer them all the way in. Glad to hear they may have changed this practice.

Thanks Arcade, I'll check tomorrow and give it a shot. Got 4.4 billion tonight and would have threatened my record of 5 billion I reckon if the lane hopping hadn't happened twice at crucial moments

#45 7 years ago

If you looking for some game interactive lighting effects or new powder coated armor colors... I have them available to order as well....

http://www.mipinballrefinery.com/store-to-order-upgrades#!/Ghostbusters/c/18319176/offset=0&sort=addedTimeDesc

Thanks,

Steve
    MI Pinball Refinery

20161214_181322 (resized).jpg20161214_181322 (resized).jpg
    20161227_184940 (resized).jpg20161227_184940 (resized).jpg

#46 7 years ago

I've seen those pics on your website. You guys do some really cool mods and high quality work. Personally I don't like the fact that the fliopper button doesn't fill the hole on the side-rail plate. I also am not crazy about the chrome coin slots and returns on the coin door. It would be better to have painted it white, green, or possibly magenta. The backbox hinges would be nice if they have a ghostbusters logo on them, and the bolts should be same color as the powdercoat color.

#47 7 years ago

Thanks for your input and here's the reasons why I do my machines this way ....

The lollipops side rails have to fit around the flipper buttons without taking them off from the machine when installing them. Also there needs to be a little bit of forgiveness with them. All pinball cabinet are not perfectly the same. I do the chome coin door bezels because chrome is classic and you can't powder coat plastics to have them match. If you were to paint them they would match very well to the powder coating. The Ghostbusters hinge logos are not sold by Stern, just the side rails are. And if you powder coat the leg bolts to match the legs. The bolts are thicker then 5/8" and the powder coating can chip off easily when they are tighten or removed on and off. Chrome leg bolt cost more but it not a matter what cost but doing it right.

I not looking to start an agreement, just saying why I do my Refinery Edition a certain way.

Steve
    MI Pinball Refinery

#48 7 years ago

Steve does them a certain way...the right way. Nice work man.

#49 7 years ago
    #50 7 years ago
    Quoted from HemiOrange09:

Thanks for your input and here's the reasons why I do my machines this way ....
    The lollipops side rails have to fit around the flipper buttons without taking them off from the machine when installing them. Also there needs to be a little bit of forgiveness with them. All pinball cabinet are not perfectly the same. I do the chome coin door bezels because chrome is classic and you can't powder coat plastics to have them match. If you were to paint them they would match very well to the powder coating. The Ghostbusters hinge logos are not sold by Stern, just the side rails are. And if you powder coat the leg bolts to match the legs. The bolts are thicker then 5/8" and the powder coating can chip off easily when they are tighten or removed on and off. Chrome leg bolt cost more but it not a matter what cost but doing it right.
    I not looking to start an agreement, just saying why I do my Refinery Edition a certain way.
    Steve
    MI Pinball Refinery

Steve, No worries on my end. You do nice work and its good that you've explained why your doing what your doing. If there's a way to implement so of my asks, I would consider buying a kit from you

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-must-have-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.