(Topic ID: 286030)

Ghostbusters Premium: "9 Node Not Found" was the beginning...

By DruTheFu

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DruTheFu
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5552C947-4D58-4763-BE11-420C3AF40E5A (resized).jpeg
SpikeNode9_Dx (resized).jpg
75A458F0-A8C9-4859-B046-B6ADA53067BF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 3 years ago

Looking at the schematic for the RevD board (which i assume is similar to your RevA) we can see that the circuit for Q1 through Q9 are similar, therefore we can expect your meter test readings to be exactly the same on each. Since Q7 and Q8 are not, we can assume the driver transistor and/or the suppression diode on those circuits is bad.

Driver MOSFET - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nexperia/PSMN027-100PS127?qs=5DYmZrWuUEqupow7jHI3kg%3D%3D
Diode - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Micro-Commercial-Components-MCC/SK510A-LTP/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadug4ucAn58i43aqQjoM8bBvCQz5%252Bh5smqP1hT0Elza8mug%3D%3D

The MOSFET is easy enough to replace (through hole) but the diodes will be a bit more tricky as they are SMD. Shouldn't be too tough if you have a fine point soldering iron since it is only 2 leads (not as hard as replacing a SMD IC).

#23 3 years ago

The GI driver transistors look good to me from your readings. However of you want to order some just in case they are here:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/FQP20N06L/?qs=%2Fha2pyFadujhaj0xBReI9xUAnlzFOBeKo69xT23Kvbk%3D

#24 3 years ago

Can you CAREFULLY look at D9 (the one with the zip tie through it at the top of your picture) and see if either lead is broken off? These would vibrate until one of the legs would crack, causing an overvoltage to the 6v supply (this includes GI).

If that is broken, you should get a replacement for it as well:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-General-Semiconductor/MBR760-E3-45/?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiIANWfweiZVnqRONx8UmAa7nSQK1vptCZzj%252B8lEkARlQ%3D%3D

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

The D9 diode that has the zip-tie service bulletin "fix" looks like it is still solid, with each of the two legs soldiered into their respective connection points.

Look at the leads not at the board but as they enter the black body of the Diode. Push on it side to side to see if one of the legs is broken off.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Gotcha. Thanks!
The leads connecting to the black body of the diode appear intact, and has no wiggle or movement to it while gently trying to do so.

Hmmm, OK then I really have no idea what caused the meltdown. It could have been any number of things.

Maybe the suppression diode failed which caused the driver MOSFET to fail which failed shorted, which caused 2 things: the coil to melt and the voltage be pulled down on the rest of the board causing other functions to fail like the GI.

Really impossible to tell for sure without repairing the board.

#30 3 years ago

You could test to see if the rest of the node board works by mounting it in your game and connecting ONLY CN1 (the ethernet looking cable) and CN6 (the main power input). Do not connect the solenoid outputs. See if the game boots without the Node 9 not found error.

Technically you should be able to connect everything BUT CN7 and CN8 (those are the solenoid output connectors with the shorted MOSFETS).

The game will not be playable (those solenoids outputs are critical) but you can see if the node board works. This should give you a good indication if the board is easily repairable.

Also, when you get the new node board, make sure to set the switches on the new board, just like on the old board. This sets the board to respond to the Node 9 address. Without it, the game will not know where to "find" the new board.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sometimes the coating on the wires in a magnet coil get too soft from heat, forming just enough of a hole for wires to touch and that shorts out and blows the coil, then almost immediately the transistor, too. It looks like your magnet coil melted and blew the transistor. I'd replace the transistor first and make sure that doesn't blow right away on power up before plugging in another magnet coil. I'm actually surprised these magna slings aren't fused for this very reason.

I was thinking the same thing about fuses. I just might add them as a preventative.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Out of curiosity, I tested each of the magna sling magnet coils. The left magna sling that burnt up read 1. The right magna sling that looks to be ok read 3.5. I received those same exact numbers on 5 seperate tests. Left magnet coil is dead to me HAHA.

I'd expect a coil that looks as burned as that one to be shorted internally. You do not know if this occurred first and blew the node board transistor or if the node transistor went first, overheated the coil which resulted in the coil shorting.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

The red LED is solid on (48V present).
The green LED is solid on (6V present)
The amber LED is off/dark.
The LED Status Table description: "48V present, 6V present, processor not running: check 5V and 3.3V supplies."
Looking in the GB user manual and the Node 9 pinout on page 25, I see the 48V input power on CN6, but I do not see any pinout for 5V/3.3V inputs. I assumed the board received it's power all from the 48V input and performed the electrical step downs within the board architecture.
Does this indicate that the component(s) on the board that perform this function have failed and unable to do so? AKA my board is shot.
And I appreciate everyone's input and ideas. Thanks

Yes, there are 5v and 3.3v regulators on the board that make their power from the 6V supply. Seems the damage to your board is more extensive than just the driver transistors. U7 and U8 are the regulators.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.95
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 103.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schwaggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-premium-9-node-not-found-was-the-beginning?tu=schwaggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.