Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Syco54645
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So I am currently looking to purchase my first new Pinball machine.

I have a 6 year old so I am trying to think of the perspective of what he would enjoy as well and age appropriate.

I know the SMVE is more expensive (~7000) but the theme is definitely something he loves.

From what i can tell the Ghostbusters Pro will have more "features" than the spiderman and will save me approx 2000 dollars.

Is there going to be a way to disable any non age appropriate language on the ghostbuster? I guess that will be the biggest factor in my decision.

I guess this is a question I can only decide for myself but I was just looking for any advice on what others have done/would do in a similar situation if they had kids around.

#2 8 years ago

I haven't played GB, so I'm not aware of bad language in the game. My metallica has a setting to shut language off, and I'm guessing most newer sterns do. I would be OK with either game for my kids, so yeah, it really is personal preference.

#3 8 years ago

You could find a routed classic sm for around 4500 and it is a finished super fun game with jk call outs and those are just the best and then sell latter for a finished gb in year or so when it is done and not loose money and I am sure your son will love the classic sm

#4 8 years ago

Let your son play both, don't assume he will like one over the other. He may surprise you and not like any of them.

#5 8 years ago

I have a 4 year old and one thing I was considering in the same decision was that he's more likely to identify with the SM theme than Ghostbusters. Obviously game play doesnt even compute here, so it's really all about theme for him. He's still too young to watch the GB movies, but loves superheroes. I figured as he got older and got into GB, I can move onto that game then - if I haven't already bought it.

#6 8 years ago

I played GB last weekend and it is not an easy game. It is fun though. The SMVE looks better live than in photos. Great game! I would buy a family friendly game that YOU like and see if he plays. Other Stern titles that are good are POTC and Transformers. Played a lot of Transformers last weekend also and had a blast! Or just save money and get a WCS 94. Goal!!!

#7 8 years ago

I would just get what you like. My boys are older and while they have some interest in pinball, they just don't play much. I can't blame them, I was the same when I was younger. Pinball is hard to get into with all the rules and skills needed to play.

I like GB better than SM but not sure if either has any adult language. I played GB a few times at TPF but it was hard to hear with all the noise. My ST has a family mode setting but it still has a few PG words.

#8 8 years ago

Save the money and go original SM over VE. Between the two I would pick GB based on theme alone. Spiderman is a fun game though. In fact I own it.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Save the money and go original SM over VE. Between the two I would pick GB based on theme alone. Spiderman is a fun game though. In fact I own it.

Thats funny since a few original SpiderMans have been listed for sale recently for more than what the new vault costs.

#10 8 years ago

I asked my 6-year-old for you. He said:

"Get Ghostbusters because it's awesome. Unless it's 'out of sale'. Then get Spiderman."

#11 8 years ago

I would get the SM,because age is a huge factor.
Mike

#12 8 years ago

I would buy what you like.

I used to buy machines for my kids and they would play them for a day or two and that was it.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

buy machines for my kids

I am adoptable and come with a list,no guessing
Mike

#14 8 years ago

I would echo buy what you like, my 6 year old grandson plays a game or two every few weeks if that and he lives 11 houses away.

Sorry they just aren't that interested. I do watch the theme though so no TWD, or BSD here. BTW, if he plays it's IM.

#15 8 years ago

I think pinheads underestimate the value of a license. Gary Stern is right on this much - a relatable license gets players halfway into the game even before a single game has been played.

I'm guessing most 6 year olds have never seen Ghostbusters and many 6 year olds could in fact be scared by the movie. Meanwhile, many 6 year old boys know and like Spiderman.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Thats funny since a few original SpiderMans have been listed for sale recently for more than what the new vault costs.

Dizamn! I should list mine! Will you autograph it? I prefer that you use a machete for the writing instrument.

#17 8 years ago

The new SMVE is very nice and the new dots and callouts are really well done. Just got ours Monday. Very appropriate for a child of that age because it is lighter hearted than the original as far as the callouts sounds, etc. it's more comic book based. GB looks awesome as well! Probably can't go wrong either way. Shaker, custom trim with SMVE and money saved if you go GB pro.

#18 8 years ago

GB by a mile. I found the animations terrible on the new smve. Green goblin and doc ock look much better on original SM. I did like the sandman sculp. On the new smve however, but that was about it.

#19 8 years ago

Suspect a 6 year old will change their mind quite a bit.....doubt the attention span will last too long, so definitely get one you enjoy as well.

Haven't played GB, but SM is easily the best route.....proven, great game....kids love superheroes ( I'd take a clean SM over VE unless you want NIB).....

#20 8 years ago

I say buy both...it's what I did.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

You could find a routed classic sm for around 4500 and it is a finished super fun game with jk call outs and those are just the best and then sell latter for a finished gb in year or so when it is done and not loose money and I am sure your son will love the classic sm

Both my boys aged 8 and 12 love classic SM and they are also pestering me for GB.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Dizamn! I should list mine! Will you autograph it? I prefer that you use a machete for the writing instrument.

It's a possibility, lemme think bout it.

#23 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will probably wait a bit longer to decide, but you are all right that the main player will be me and the Ghostbusters theme is one of my favorites. Now i will wait for some premium vids to make that decision.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from PinJimNC:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will probably wait a bit longer to decide, but you are all right that the main player will be me and the Ghostbusters theme is one of my favorites. Now i will wait for some premium vids to make that decision.

Ah ha!!!...a setup question/ topic....sounds like you're big on GB theme, and were just toying with us. ....good luck w your choice..

#25 8 years ago

idk maybe wait for Barney the pin until he's 18

#26 8 years ago

The explain the what a slang name for poop means

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I would buy what you like.

I used to buy machines for my kids and they would play them for a day or two and that was it.

This^^^^

#28 8 years ago

I have a 4 year old... ended up going ghostbusters premium. he likes the theme and he's also watched the both movies and cartoon. We already have an iron man and star trek... I felt smve was too close to both in theme (IM) and layout (ST). If I had unlimited funds I would have gotten both.

I think you're okay for both. The kid will have fun on both, but get what you really would prefer. From what I've seen GB is very family friendly. Stern usually build them this way or you would have a language toggle. The only one I would not get in this age group is TWD. Even GOT is fine.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

It's a possibility, lemme think bout it.

I am sharpening the blade just in case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delta, BC
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 103.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-or-smve-6-year-old and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.