View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2017-08-29-14-01-16 (resized).png
1 (resized).jpg
StarWars White trim kit t-molding (resized).jpg
BF19D89A-2B87-4D0D-BDDD-8F54E6886BBF (resized).jpeg
526C0A53-0F69-4096-B912-6988E8FE1061 (resized).jpeg
20170607_124404 (resized).jpg
70E7986C-7764-48C8-8C99-C57D5D6EFB71 (resized).jpeg
There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

Just curious how people would rate these 3 games by Stern. All the pro models seem to be priced about the same. If someone could only purchase one of the 3, which would you recommend and why.
As for me I'm kinda in this boat and am buying Ghostbusters. However, I have not played Star Wars yet. I love the artwork on Ghostbusters and Aerosmith both. I find GB to be very challenging and a hard game to play. AS i found to be all about the multiball. Fun game play and I love the LCD screen.
What are your thoughts?

If this has already been asked I apologize, I didnt find a thread for this.

#2 6 years ago

GB looks great, and there's where the fun ends. I'd go SW easily.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

GB looks great, and there's where the fun ends. I'd go SW easily

Really? WOW! Good to know. Maybe my Ghostbuster will be short lived. Thanks

#4 6 years ago

I own AS pro and really like it. I've played several models of GB's plenty of times and it didn't click so I would rule that out for me. GB looks and theme is killer.

I have played SW's about 50 times mostly the pro (45?).

Given the choice I would probably sell my AS and get SW's pro, and get most of the family mad because they love AS.
There is something about sw's that I really like.

#5 6 years ago

Ghostbusters Premium is incredible. It offers a great world under glass feeling thanks to its artwork, and multiple toys / features. In my opinion Ghostbusters is Sterns most impressive and loaded modern pin to date. Subway ramp that drops under the playfield into a physical ball lock, magna slings, moving Slimer, 2 scoop shots, pop up targets, Ecto Goggles toy and more.

Also, out of the 3 games Ghostbusters is the only one with custom callouts recorded by someone who is associated with the themes movies (or band in case of AS).

Star Wars feels like Sterns most stripped down game to date. Yes its super fast but that's due to there being pretty much nothing on the playfield that interacts with the ball. At $5k-8k that's not a good thing.

AS looks pretty slick. I like metal ramps and toy chest mech. The artwork looks great as well. However, I think the song selection (7 or 9?) is rather low and that the game feels a bit shallow in terms of rules.

Also, someone will be posting in this thread shortly that will say Ghostbusters is the worst game ever designed, is terrible, etc. I think a Ghostbusters pinball machine must have robbed him or something in the past, lol.

If I had to purchase by model

Premium

1. Ghostbusters
2. Aerosmith
3. Star Wars

Pro

1. Aerosmith
2. Ghostbusters
3. Star Wars

#6 6 years ago

You should put up a poll.

I vote GB, I have a premium with all the bells and whistles and its not going anywhere I do think the code needs a polish, but that's the case with 99% all pinballs. Never played AS but its not my thing, I don't care for band pin's. SW was a total let down, turned down a SWLE & bought a STLE instead very happy. Just added the ColorDMD LCD yup hard to beat a STLE with ColorDMD.

FYI, a couple of distributors on here still have NIB ST premiums

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Really? WOW! Good to know. Maybe my Ghostbuster will be short lived. Thanks

GB goes back the the fine tradition of DE games making a "world of shit under glass" where you just throw a bunch of parts in and hope it works.

You don't play the looks of a game but the issue with AS is the art is fantastic, but the animations are pretty bottom of the barrel for me.

#8 6 years ago

For a pro go AS

#9 6 years ago

Of the three I'd vote Aerosmith as it is the most complete pin of the bunch.
GB full of design flaws and has to be modded with addons that should have been in the game to stop cheap drains. Scalari targets creating airballs over flippers/rails/slingshots, inlane rails to low so when ball hits them it hops over to the outlane. Just a couple.
SW is just plain plain.

#10 6 years ago

SW > GB > AS, but I've found them all to be pretty fun games.

#11 6 years ago

They are all pretty much the same to me.

#12 6 years ago

None. Buy something else on your wishlist. You will be glad you did. And you will have saved $$ too.

#13 6 years ago

Since you are talking Pro models I would go AS. If you were talking Premium then I’d probably take GB. Both games are better than Star Wars though. iMO.

#1 AS
#2 GB
#3 SW

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

GB goes back the the fine tradition of DE games making a "world of shit under glass" where you just throw a bunch of parts in and hope it works.
You don't play the looks of a game but the issue with AS is the art is fantastic, but the animations are pretty bottom of the barrel for me.

The LCD animations in AS are unbelievably awesome!

#15 6 years ago

You're already buying GB so no point considering other titles. Enjoy!

#16 6 years ago

I've owned a GB Premium for about 8 months now and love it. Yes, a couple things need to be tweaked, but once they were, I find the game very enjoyable. I have it next to a WOZ, and I think both games compliment each other really well. WOZ is slower and has more depth, GB is fast and fun.

GB is obviously a polarizing game on this site, but my two cents on a Premium- it's really fun, especially if paired with another game that plays very different. Keeps it interesting.

#17 6 years ago

AS or SW.

I wouldn't pay the same anymore for a red dots game as LCD is so much better.

#18 6 years ago

wow 3 very different games to compare. a lot of it depends on what u value in a game. looks, depth of code, speed, music, etc. i have GB and SW. passed on AS because i think KISS is better. SW takes a little more time to grasp how many different ways you can play it. SW is the fastest game and gb i think might be the slowest of the games but it isnt that slow. all take flipper control to get them cranking.

but all of this is just my personal opinion. i say got a local arcade and play them all back to back.

#19 6 years ago

If all three were right next to each other on location... I would drop coin in AS first, earn a few extra games and genuinely be very happy I'm playing pinball. I'd probably then drop a few coins in GB, and curse the heavens when an air-ball of some kind causes a drain (but would enjoy the call-outs and music thoroughly). I would then look at Star Wars, and eventually convince myself to go elsewhere. The game just isn't that much fun to me. Although, if it was a Prem/LE, I'd likely drop a $1 in with hopes to hit the hyperspace ramp and to earn a free play.

#20 6 years ago

As pro all the way imo....

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

wow 3 very different games to compare.

I think I wanted to compare these 3 because of price point. It seems in the USED market in California you can find one of these 3 right at $5k
They also seem to be the most popular. So in case someone else is contemplating buying a fairly new game at this price point, I thought it would great to hear from you all and your opinions. Thanks everyone.

Quoted from wisemanbba:

I have it next to a WOZ

I hope to one day have this game too. Great game

#22 6 years ago

SW doesn't look like much, but she's got it where it counts. If you want a fast game with the one more play feel, SW is a keeper.

If you can get past the music, Aerosmith is a great pin. It's fun, got a cool toy, and the modes are great. The game is really easy though and you'll probably find it gets redundant quickly.

GB - I was in a honeymoon phase with GB, but that wore off very quickly. It's the only NIB game I have ever sold. I loved the artwork, liked the layout,but the rules just got monotonous and I decided to sell before prices started taking a dive.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

It's the only NIB game I have ever sold. I loved the artwork, liked the layout,but the rules just got monotonous and I decided to sell before prices started taking a dive.

Quickest ownership I've ever had.

#24 6 years ago

I have all 3 I would pick SW,AS,GB but all 3 are great pins

70E7986C-7764-48C8-8C99-C57D5D6EFB71 (resized).jpeg70E7986C-7764-48C8-8C99-C57D5D6EFB71 (resized).jpeg

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Same here. I was worried I'd miss GB, but I don't even play it for free at friends' houses anymore.

#26 6 years ago

AS>GB>SW

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Same here. I was worried I'd miss GB, but I don't even play it for free at friends' houses anymore.

And for me the Pre+ is much better than the pro.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And for me the Pre+ is much better than the pro.

Agreed - it was one of the few recent STERN games where the Premium was an easy choice over the Pro.

#29 6 years ago

As>gb>sw

#30 6 years ago

pro:
GB
SW
AS

premium:
SW
AS
GB

#31 6 years ago

I went through the same dilemma and chose twd pro instead of the 3 you mentioned which were also available.

#32 6 years ago

I haven't had any time on a SW pro but out of the other 2 I'd go AS then a few miles behind it is GB. I owned a GB premium and truly hated that game. It looks great and has lots of stuff but it comes up terribly short in gameplay and code.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

SW doesn't look like much, but she's got it where it counts. If you want a fast game with the one more play feel, SW is a keeper.
If you can get past the music, Aerosmith is a great pin. It's fun, got a cool toy, and the modes are great. The game is really easy though and you'll probably find it gets redundant quickly.
GB - I was in a honeymoon phase with GB, but that wore off very quickly. It's the only NIB game I have ever sold. I loved the artwork, liked the layout,but the rules just got monotonous and I decided to sell before prices started taking a dive.

AS - real easy?

You finished Final Tour and Medley then?!

My AS is brutal!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

AS - real easy?
You finished Final Tour and Medley then?!
My AS is brutal!

Well, since you asked... Yes. First two days on route I made it to the first wizard mode. By the second week I made it through the first wizard mode and then actually completed all the other modes and made it to the Final Tour, all on a game on location. When I play Aerosmith now I typically get to Medley Multiball. I can't say the same for other "wizard" modes on many other STERN games.

20170607_124404 (resized).jpg20170607_124404 (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Well, since you asked... Yes. First two days on route I made it to the first wizard mode. By the second week I made it through the first wizard mode and then actually completed all the other modes and made it to the Final Tour, all on a game on location. When I play Aerosmith now I typically get to Medley Multiball. I can't say the same for other "wizard" modes on many other STERN games.

Well, either that game is set up easy, I super suck and/or you are an awesome player

3/4 billion is a very good score for sure.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, either that game is set up easy, I super suck and/or you are an awesome player
3/4 billion is a very good score for sure.

Game must be set up easy.

With that said though, Aerosmith doesn't really have very many high risk shots that you have to make to do well. If you avoid the two center targets the rest of the shots are long shots that you have time to try and recover from or low speed high angle shots like to the scoop that typically give you some time to recover from as well. The elevator kick out is usually trap-able on the left flipper using a soft catch and the toy box shot is far enough away that the magnet usually doesn't get me very often. Hitting the lock shot is IMO one of the tougher shots on the game, but Borg did a cool job of making this a skill shot also which helps advance that lock quickly if you get that dialed in.

#37 6 years ago

This thread needs a poll.

I have GB Prem and AS Pro

GB will be sold.
AS Pro is staying.
Hopefully SW pro coming next year as a used model.

#38 6 years ago

They all suck. Just average games. Save your money.

#39 6 years ago

GB is the only NIB I have ever sold as well. I still own AS and ST both of which are the LE flavor. But to be honest my SW might be the second NIB that gets sold. (Its fun but I find that I just flip at the ball non stop and really don’t know what the hell im doing!! Lol)

Of all my pins I find I still play TWD and MET the most followed by IM:ve.

I will admit though, I am a simple player. Not one that likes a “deep” game.

So of your choices, I would say AS, but if you can consider TWD, I still have a blast playing that machine.

Good luck!!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Game must be set up easy.
With that said though, Aerosmith doesn't really have very many high risk shots that you have to make to do well. If you avoid the two center targets the rest of the shots are long shots that you have time to try and recover from or low speed high angle shots like to the scoop that typically give you some time to recover from as well. The elevator kick out is usually trap-able on the left flipper using a soft catch and the toy box shot is far enough away that the magnet usually doesn't get me very often. Hitting the lock shot is IMO one of the tougher shots on the game, but Borg did a cool job of making this a skill shot also which helps advance that lock quickly if you get that dialed in.

Interesting perspective as I get more cheap drains on this game than any game since IM and TWD. Ball flies around.

Will try and stick to long shots maybe.

#41 6 years ago

I’d go with GB Premium.

#42 6 years ago

Get AS if you like to rock your ass off.

Get SW if you think Star Wars kicks ass.

Get GB if you want to get your ass kicked.

#43 6 years ago

GB premium would be my pick, but AS premium is a really fun one if you want a rock pin.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

This thread needs a poll.

I added a poll. Have at it.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Me too. Lasted about three weeks before I booted it.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

They all suck. Just average games. Save your money.

You know what? You suck.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I have all 3 I would pick SW,AS,GB but all 3 are great pins

That's one hell of a lineup there!

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

That's one hell of a lineup there!

Ditto.

Interesting thread. These are 3 games I'm really considering myself, but SW premium and GB premium instead of the pros. I'm leaning towards selling my Metallica pro to fund a SW premium now. Otherwise I may just wait and get jjp potc. Tough choice, but I'm curious how these 3 stack up to each other. All have a great aspect about them in very different ways.

#49 6 years ago

If you like Star Wars, get the Star Wars Pro. I think they did a great job on it and it plays better than the Premium/LE.

#50 6 years ago

Based on your wish, still go Met pro, then these pros bro!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 9.95
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grafton, WI
$ 103.00
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 12.75
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-or-aerosmith-or-star-wars?hl=phantasmo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.