Ghostbusters: node board is in and out

By ryanwanger

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Replaced some bulbs in my GB. Then played a game and after the ball drained, all the lower PF lights are out, and other stuff (like ball not going into the shooter lane).

I reseated the node board cables (that connect one to another), and then it worked again...for one ball.

Sometimes power cycling gets it back to working (for one ball), and other times power cycling doesn't work, but unplugging the node board (closest to the flippers) will do the trick. In all situations, I only get one ball.

Sad trombone.

Any suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

Hey dude,

We had a similar issue with a GOT on location here. It turns out there was a short in one of the bulbs in the game. When we replaced it problem fixed.

This may sound crazy but try replacing those bulbs you just messed with, with some other bulbs or take them out and see if the game plays correctly.

#3 6 years ago

Did you replace bulbs in the lower area only?

#4 6 years ago

Removing one of the slingshot bulbs that I put in fixed this. Strange. Will report back.

#5 6 years ago

Apparently this game doesn't like Opmax bulbs in the left slingshot.

Opmax bulbs work fine in the right slingshot, and I have several in the backpanel with no issues.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Apparently this game doesn't like Opmax bulbs in the left slingshot.
Opmax bulbs work fine in the right slingshot, and I have several in the backpanel with no issues.

I have them in the spot flashers of my GOT. No issues. Weird.

#7 6 years ago

This is the same behavior I had with mine before the node board finally died completely. Unfortunately I had not changed any bulbs in my GB machine. Hope swapping out that led solves your issue, but if you have the issue again, my experience suggests it's time for a new node 8 board.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from krankin:

This is the same behavior I had with mine before the node board finally died completely. Unfortunately I had not changed any bulbs in my GB machine. Hope swapping out that led solves your issue, but if you have the issue again, my experience suggests it's time for a new node 8 board.

Was your game new or on old code when this happened? Just curious.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Was your game new or on old code when this happened? Just curious.

1.05 I think.

#11 6 years ago

Yeah, taking the one Opmax bulb out of the left slingshot fixed the issue. It wasn't a shorted bulb...the issue was still happening even with other Opmax bulbs. A standard twin 2835 2smd bulb (factory, or Comet) worked fine.

I have Opmax in several other locations in the game (including spotlights), with no issues. Just that one socket. So strange.

#12 6 years ago

Does a bad led or shorted lamp socket take out a node board? I surely hope not as this can easily happen as games get older. Loose led, debris in empty socket,blown fuse or node?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Does a bad led or shorted lamp socket take out a node board?

I haven't seen anyone report something like this happening yet.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Does a bad led or shorted lamp socket take out a node board? I surely hope not as this can easily happen as games get older. Loose led, debris in empty socket,blown fuse or node?

I don't believe a bulb caused my issue. I just had similar behavior before my node board died. After replacing that board (and all the lamp boards ) I've had zero issues. in the last month or so I have had an LED that dims occasionally during play, but i haven't gotten around to fixing it.. hasn't given me any issues with the node board.

FWIW, I did replace the node board with its latest revision, the one they are putting in Aerosmith (Pro) and later.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from krankin:

I don't believe a bulb caused my issue. I just had similar behavior before my node board died. After replacing that board (and all the lamp boards ) I've had zero issues. in the last month or so I have had an LED that dims occasionally during play, but i haven't gotten around to fixing it.. hasn't given me any issues with the node board.
FWIW, I did replace the node board with the latest revision, the one they are putting in Aerosmith (Pro) and later.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I haven't seen anyone report something like this happening yet.

it might be a feature of that " New built-in automotive-grade circuit protection for LEDs" stern claims the spike system to have.

1 year later
#17 5 years ago

Going through this now with a GB premium. Socket above the right flipper seems to be shorting out. I can wiggle the socket and the node board goes in and out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 49.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-node-board-is-in-and-out?hl=turtlepower169 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.