image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I also am worried about the endless loop theme music.

Why? Every pinball machine you own has finite loops of music. Why is it only a complaint on games with familiar music? Anyone who loves Ghostbusters loves that song - it's inseparable from the title. If it wasn't there, there'd be more complaints.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How about an option to kill the GB theme?
Seriously. It would drive me to the insane asylum within a week.
Maybe it could be substituted with some generic haunted house type
Music or something.
When the game is over, and you think you are finally safe?
Outro music: fuckin ghostbusters. "I can't hear you! GHOSTBUSTERS! Louder! GHOSTBUSTERS!"
Make it stop!!!!

Rip out the speakers on all your games then...they all have finite music loops.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For me its that specific song. Its like a children jingle or a TV commercial that gets stuck in your head and you can't get rid of it. I understand its importance here, I just don't want to be beaten over the head with it.
(Edit) - Ahhhhh, its in my head right now!!

I don't get the complaints. It was a huge hit song, most people love it, it's still popular today...why is it wrong for a song to be catchy? Isn't that the point? To complain about the GB song in a GB game is like complaining about ACDC music in an ACDC game - oh wait, people do that too. How come you never hear a complaint about the 15 second music loops most games have for main tunes?

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

No one is trying to sway your opinion because it can't be swayed. Honestly I'd prefer to hold your opinion, but find the song obnoxious. You won't sway their opinion either.

Then don't play the game. The game is called Ghostbusters. It looks and sounds like Ghostbusters.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm not saying the song should be eliminated. I'm just hoping its usage will be minimized.

Like every game ever, each mode or MB will have its own music. This can already be heard in the various gameplay videos.

I hope they change every song to a remix of the GB song just to annoy the 3 people who don't like GB music in a GB game

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

Exactly. But fanboys don't have time for people like us. Any criticism of GB means that you hate the game and results in us being told things like "then don't play the game" because we don't like the theme song.

It has nothing to do with fanboys. It's a reaction to a complaint that is assinine. Suggesting GB shouldn't include the most iconic audio associated with the franchise is mindblowingly stupid. Should IJ not include the iconic movie score? Should POTC not include the "Yo ho" song? Should Mustang not include car noises cuz you've heard car noises all your life and are sick of them? Should Addams family not have multiple variations of the classic theme song? Transformers has 3 or 4 versions of the classic theme song. Audio that represents the theme is a strong point & selling point.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Why are you calling statements of "I don't like the theme song" stupid or "assinine"? It makes sense that the game has the music. And some people don't like that music. Like, you know, I enjoy pinball, but don't like when people go "ha, you must be some sort of pinball wizard!" It's like totally cool if you like that, but why argue if someone doesn't? Like I said earlier, I wish I enjoyed hearing the song more, but I don't. You calling names isn't going to change that.

I called no one a name. I described behavior.

Quoted from Expletive:

It's what he does.

Put me on ignore please. I will extend you the same courtesy.

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You might want to change your mind about him. When it comes to pinball there is no one who's opinion I respect more. Even when Rarehero and I disagree his thoughts still carry weight with me.

Who ya gonna gonna call!? Kim!

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like how you ignored my entire fucking review and latched like a pitbull on to a very minor part of it - the mention of the maddeningly infectious tune, and said the same thing about it over. And over. And over. And then over again.
And over again once more in case we missed your point.
Do you have any other thoughts on my review? Or are you just going to continue to expound upon those two crucial sentences at the end?

It's what I felt like responding to. You don't get to dictate how I respond to your posts. Put me on ignore, please.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I've owned games where I am able to see the wizard mode the first week I've owned the game (MB I'm looking at you). They get boring very quickly.
I've never been to Valinor. Still own and love playing LotR. Just because most mortals will never see the wizard mode, does not a bad game make.

Still - imagine if when you played LOTR you always had to play the modes in a specific order. It would feel a little more stale than it does with randomized modes. This is still the thing I worry about with GB - most players will only see a couple of the same modes over and over - and even if you play better, to see new content you'll always have to go thru the stuff you've seen a ton in order. I don't think this is going to change - but I hope it does. With random modes there's still the challenge of starting/completing them all to get to wizard modes ...but it keeps the experience from feeling monotonous - or hopeless, if the game is as challenging and drainy as people are saying it is. A game like Ironman can be drainy since the content lends itself to it - but with GB having so much content - to lock it away from most players isn't the best approach, IMO.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

he center post idea might be pre-mature on GB, and you're right I didn't care for it that much either when I had Spiderman. Every game lasted forever. I like a long game ever now and then, but not everyone of them.

I was just watching the Johns arcade video - and man ...those drains are brutal. It just sucks the ball down the sides. Lots of stdm from the pops exit, too. If Spidey had a center post, this game certainly could benefit from one. I wonder why they didn't. I'm thinking the LE/Prem might be less side drainy if the magnet slings aren't as strong as traditional ones.

I can see a lot of owners trying to mod the game to make it more "fair" ...someone already posted their longer flippers...I can see inland/outlane mods coming.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You used to be a pretty open-minded guy.

I still am. Disagreeing with your complaint doesn't change that. You're not interested in me repeating it, I'm done with it. I'm not interested in your personal attacks, so let it go.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So are you rescinding the request?
Surely ignoring is not the answer!!!

If you don't want to hear from me, ignore me. It's very simple.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

45 minute games on location maybe? When I put my Spidey out on location, I removed the post and opened the out lanes. Otherwise games went on forever, especially in tournament play.

At least Spidey had a normal flipper gap. Not saying this game needs 45 min games ...but it looks like it just drains you often within a few seconds of play...either from the unconventional outlane guides or from the pops exit which is always frustrating....it happened on Avatar & Stern issued a special spring to prevent it. Lots of complaints about it from TWD as well. I know the ball is wild, but if the design flips you the middle finger, that's no fun.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

STTNG is one of my favorites, and it used to say FU to me on a regular basis. When I started to learn the shots more I started to turn the tables on the bitch, and now I own her. Sometimes. Other times I still suck.

STTNG has notorious drainy outlanes due to how the ball bounces off the non-traditionally shaped/placed slings. Once you learn how to nudge right when it hits that top sling corner and bounce the ball higher, you're less likely to drain. I wonder if that's a trick that can work on GB.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Let's play it and find out!

I will when mine arrives...but in the meantime I only have received, talkback and videos to go by.

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Oh man, I'd love to see you, Rarehero and CrazyLevi in a three way cage match right now

I'm here for the pinball, not reality show drama. I cannot fight with those who don't exist.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Re: LOTR ball times. Depends on who is playing and how it is set up.
» YouTube video

There has to be a balance between design and rules. It can vary from game to game. Sure you can set up LOTR to destroy you in a minute - but the game wasn't designed to play that way. It was designed as an adventure and you need the time to ever experience that adventure. Ironman was clearly designed to be quick and dirty. GB looks to have a lot of content in it - so, it seems works against the design and the player to be an unapologetic drain monster....and that's why a few people seem to be a little worried about it.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Unless the rules change substantially, the average pinsider is going to be playing A LOT of the Scared librarian and Who Bought the Dog modes.
rd.

Dwight? Thoughts ?

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I've been seeing We got one!! More than anything else

That along with Librarian and Dog are the first in each "rung" of the 3 mode ladders, so that's what we've been seeing. It'd be interesting to hear from their who have it in their home already (or played extensively on location) how far into each ladder they've progressed....if it feels more doable once you get the hang of it, or if it feels impossible due to the difficulty of the physical design.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Kinda like Revenge From Mars. There are 3 groups with 3 modes in each group for a total of 9 main modes. You get to pick the group at startup but then you must move linearly through the group. I would also prefer the modes to be random and not linear within each group.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I have and love Road Show so I can take anything. Bring it on!

RFM and RS are pretty easy games, tho. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about them being too hard to see most or all of the content.

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't remember seeing the rule that all players are supposed to see everything a machine has to offer or there's some kind of flaw in the game.
Don't see why modes need to be randomized. This is a non-issue. Most people have never seen Everything Simpsons or Rings has to offer , or even ruled the universe of whatever it is in MM. They stil buy these games.
It's also interesting to not almost nobody has played ghostbusters yet and people are talking center posts and software revisions. Cart before the ghostly horse apparition people.

I'm not saying players need to see everything. You're talking about wizard modes and advanced features - I'm talking about just the regular gsme modes. Yes most players won't see everything on TSPP but if they play 6 games, they have the chance to see 6 different modes cuz a different one can start each time.

Since the linear mode nature probably won't change, I'm hoping Dwight will consider an optional setting for mode replay (yes/no). Most mode based games never required you to complete modes - but if you did, you were rewarded. LOTR, Shadow, STTNG, etc - if you start a mode and time out or drain, oh well - onto the next. Some newer stern games like ST and GB require completion - which can feel like a content roadblock. I just watched Applejuice's new video and he starts Spook Central 3 or 4 times. I think an option would be great - those who like the challenge of completion could keep it that way, those who want to see more content within a given game can play it the more "old fashioned" way.

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Easier, yes, but RS is very linear. Still I like it a lot.
RFM got tiring fast for me despite "choose your mode"

Believe me, I LOVE Road Show...but as I was saying earlier, the player can tell when there's that "magic" marriage of layout and rules that makes perfect sense for that particular game. For RS it just makes perfect sense....it works. Not sure if it does get on GB. Certainly a lot of people have brought it up as a concern.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

it's not about seeing everything in one game, but it's about having a different experience everytime you push start.

Bingo! Video game style progression logic doesn't work well for pins.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Makes sense. No reason they can't be randomized.

From what I understand as the mode ladder progresses, they get harder and offer more points ...and Stay Puft is a multiball. So they might have painted themselves into a corner in terms of them having to go in order. That's why I think an option to kill playing them over and over again until complete might be the way to go at this point to give the game a chance at moving along and letting new/average players experience more content. Pros can keep it factory for the extreme challenge.

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I don't see how any of those would prevent a setting that allows for randomizing the modes within a tier. I don't care about points, modes with varying difficulty are great and having one of the modes be a multiball is fine too (similar to Quick Multiball as a mode in TAF). Those trade-offs are totally worth it vs the Roadshow-like linear progression mode grind.
You would always have the option of setting the option back to Linear Progression for tournaments if you needed to.

That works for me ...just trying to think about the best way to convince Dwight to implement it.

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

For everyone saying its "Orignal music" I'm not 100% here as I didn't google it first but Yes it's the "Orignal song" just performed by someone else. Go listed to the Soundtrack or try to remember it in your head. Only thing I hear is a similar beat/ tune and not the music.
For me I'd be looking at getting one of those pin sound systems to load up with music from the Orignal motion picture soundtrack and a few other re-mix's.

Original = custom to the game.

You don't need a pin sound system, you can just hack the rom if you want different sound.

#281 7 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

cat argue that Were all of those songs straight from the movie?

I think he meant the callouts. Most are lifted from the movie, but work perfectly in the game. Iron Man is like that too. If you drain during Monger, sometimes you get "Your services are no longer required" ...or if you drain your Multiball without doing squat, you get a classic Jeff Bridges "That, uh....that went well".

GB is a mix of movie (Ray Parker JR song, character call outs and some sound fx) & original (the rest of the music & fx, new Ernie Hudson callouts, and DMd animation)

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ghostbusters 2 wasn't a very good movie.
Which made it strange to me that people were always clamoring for ghostbusters 3.

...to make up for it!

...but yeah, it was terrible. First one was just that lightning in a bottle - very hard to recreate it. The tone and energy of the 2nd movie was just completely off. I think the same thing happened with MIB1 & 2. 3 was OK...maybe GB 3 would have been OK lol

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Do we consider the new "chick" GB to be GB3?? I think it looks pretty good, but at least in the preview they try a little too hard to be funny IMHO.

No, it's a hard reboot. Has nothing to do with the original continuity.

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Not sure about that, in the preview it says 30 years ago NY was saved by GB, or something to that effect. Seems like it may be 30 years in the future?

Disingenuous marketting. Trying to make you nostalgic for the original even though the new one has nothing to do with it. They're trying to have it both ways, which never works with reboots. Have the courage to be your own thing if that's the creative choice you've made.

#302 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

MIB would make a great pin. MIB 2 was lame, but 3 was better.
I think a lot has to do with chemistry between the actors. By the time they try and recreate it for the second movie,, it's gone.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey was good, though

#310 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Haven't seen either.....am I missing something?

I love the Bill & Ted movies, but I was barely a teenager when they came out, so I'm sure a lot of it is nostalgia. They're very of their time - not sure how someone seeing them for the first time in 2016 would react. I still think they hold up as lovable idiots.

The first one is on Netflix until May 1...2nd one will still be there.

What I love about the second one is that they didn't just repeat the first one...and the weirdness they stuffed into the sequel is so batshit crazy, I can't see a "franchise" movie being that weird today. Bogus Journey has time traveling evil robot dopelgangers, the grim reaper playing Battleship and Twister, crazy scenes in hell, people getting mugged in heaven, martians (in heaven lol), Pam Grier & George Carlin! ....oh yeah, music from Primus, Faith No More, and Kiss!

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ghostbusters 2 is not a bad movie. Don't believe me? Go watch it again. It's on Amazon Prime. It's not as good as the first, but it's a good comedy for the time. It's way more family friendly than the first, which removed some of the edge from the comedy, but it still has a lot of great lines and scenes.

I hated it when I saw it as a kid...and kids like everything lol. I've tried to revisit it as an adult - and it's still not a good movie. The tone is just completely different. Everyone lacks energy. The acting is bad. The editing is bad. The cinematography is totally different. The score is totally different. The FX are worse. Peter MacNicol with the annoying fake accent hamming it up was never funny.

Even if you like it, clearly it's polarizing. I'm glad the pin follows the first movie and just peppers in some ghosts and lil' bits from the 2nd.

#316 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

the Bill & Ted movies were one of my favorites! There's so much material in those movies for a great retheme pinball project, would be awesome!

Already imagining a phone booth that you lock balls in, and then it disappears into the playfield with a killer light show. Crazy twisty ramps and/or wireforms represent the Circuits of Time.

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Cant wait to play one - speaking of which, anyone know when or where these will start popping up in So Cal location play and/or vegas?

I'm sure Button Mash & '82 will get it.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually I thought MIB 3 was fantastic. Funny and serious all balled up in one.

It was better than I expected. Wasn't super funny, but it played out well and its heart was in the right place & the tone was closer to the first one. Very entertaining villain, again, like the first one. Brolin played a good young-Tommy Lee Jones & Michael Stuhlbarg is excellent as always. Even though it was post-converted, it has some great 3D FX...I pop in the 3D Blu sometimes just to watch the time jump sequence.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#401 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

guess you can never buy any Trudeau. As it's been stated dozens of times all his games have this. BOP, Creech, Congo, JD, mustang, wwe, etc.

I've said it before, but design must compliment rules. BOP has very simple rules...the tougher design & flipper gap balance that out. Congo also has relatively simple rules...it's all about collecting the diamonds, it really doesn't have modes. That being said, Congo has a VERY generous ballsave...it keeps running even after it's saved. So - if a newb is draining a lot right off the bat, they'll get like 4 or 5 ball saves. Ghostbusters, like most modern games, has TONS of content - and that's why people are bumping on the design decisions to make it a super tough layout. Hopefully, like Congo, it will have software settings for generous ball save if the operator wants to give newbs a fighting chance. I think a shitload of extra ball save, like Congo, on ball 1 - would make people feel a little more comfortable.

#416 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Trudea's best game - by far - is creature. It not only has a magnificent design, it's got a deceptively deep ruleset that compliments it, offering many different ways to score while moving important shots all across the playfield.
BOP is an example of shallow, weak software that does the layout no favors.

Interesting - BOP is one of my favorite games of all time, and I fucking hate Creature. *shrug*

In any case, both are early 90's games and radically different than what GB looks to accomplish with its ruleset.

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You must be a big fan of shooting the left ramp!

I'm a fan of the whole package. I enjoy the experience...not every game has to be tournament style. I respect and enjoy the overall concept that the entire playfield is a character, and I think it's cool how it transforms...the light shows and music are spectacular. Plus, I have 2.0 installed, so I have 2 games in 1....and 2.0 isn't a one-ramp game.

#449 7 years ago

Here's a quick'n dirty photoshop - what if Stern did this from the factory? Shorten the outlane guide, and put a post w/ rubber at the end. Could this solve the drain issues?

Drain_Fix_(resized).jpgDrain_Fix_(resized).jpg

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Do you think with the out lane posts in the middle, those scores are unattainable?

The issue isn't scores, it's content. This goes back to the original complaints that the linear modes and unforgiving drain design isn't conducive to the amount of content in the game. Why is Dwight wasting his time programming all these story based modes if NO player will ever get to see them ever? Most casual players don't care about scores...they care about progressing and seeing/hearing the game content. Too this day I can't tell you what a LotR scoring strategy might be, but my goal is to play thru the story...the scores land where they may.

Now that many people have played the game, it's become very clear - the drain-monster design does not lend itself to the content that's been programmed into the game. Stern should do something to address this, or you're going to see almost everyone doing various things to make the game more fair. Not easy...but fair. Ghostbusters, with its wide demographic appeal and story based structure, needs to be fun, not frustrating.

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I have to admit, I totally agree with you here. I can't help but think Lyman would have coded this perfectly for such a brutal table.

Nah, I wouldn't make this a Lyman vs. Dwight thing...honestly the code for this game looks really good, but the design of the drains is fighting against it and perhaps Stern didn't realize how incredibly difficult this design was until it was "too late". Designs like Metallica, Iron Man, and TWD don't really show story type mode inserts on the playfield - so Lyman really had completely freedom to design the game any way that worked best. On GB, the modes are all on the playfield already, so the code has to roll with that.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I really like the fact that the next mode is immediately available IF you finish the previous mode. It rewards good play.

That's pretty awesome - I noticed that on a few gameplay videos...does the next mode start immediately as the previous is finished, or do you have to hit the shot again to start it?

#583 7 years ago
Quoted from jroakland:

Play the game as it is..dnt buy it if you suck at pinball, then complain about it...wa,wa,wa....you want easy buy 70's early 80's machines...pinball should not be easy..no challange ,no battle, no fun...can't wait for my premiumn...I hope it is difficult and very challangeing!!!

No one wants easy - people want a *fair* challenge and not a game that's actively fucking them due to design flaws. Sometimes just a few minor things can drag a game from "Fun" to "Frustrating". Balls flying into the drain from drop targets is a design issue. Balls hopping guides into the drain is a design issue. Straight down the middle from the pops is a design issue. There's a reason games like Dr. Who has a ball save from the Time Expander release...cuz it often goes STDM, and it's an unfair design flaw that the software is compensating for. Same reason JP has a ball save if the raptor kickback sends it STDM.

#589 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, so far everybody who either already owns one - or apparently had already paid for one and is waiting for the game - has no problems with any of the issues people who have only played it but don't own it have talked about.

My Premium is paid in full - and clearly I'm skeptical.

#619 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'll confess I'm starting to warm up to it a little. Played an hour yesterday and my scores are starting to get a little better consistently. Still...soooo many cheap, cheap drains.

Have the outlanes been tightened on the one you are playing, or is it still factory?

#626 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

My assumption is that the inserts light whenever the magnets pulse. I can't imagine why they wouldn't flash with the magnet pulse. Without the solenoid kick, you would want the extra feedback.

My guess is the lights will also have other cues...perhaps a pulse or a flash to indicate it's in a "mode" where they might hold the ball or do some other wacky trick.

1 week later
#729 7 years ago

I'm sure they'll add that, Mark...many Stern games have launched out of the gate without an animation skip option...but then it always gets added later.

#734 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

so when can I expect the for sale threads for your tz's, tom's,pin2k's, cv's should I go on? Don't like animations, I have a nice Bally Space Invaders you can play.

You can skip on CV with the home rom

1 week later
#749 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I thought Operators like quick games? no money in a game that can be played for 20+ mins on $1

Customers don't like games they think are F-ing with them and gives them no chance in hell to accomplish anything. That's the "magic sauce" of game design melded with code that's really hard to balance. That's why Iron Man and Tron are great...they DO in fact kill you quick...but you always feel like you're on the cusp of an accomplishment...one more try will do it! If people are getting frustrated over cheap drains, airballs, and outlane bounces - they feel like there's nothing THEY can do to do well at the gam...they feel the game is unfair....they move on and don't spend more money on it. That's not what an op wants.

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I will admit that I put $20 into IM on site when it first came out, with the Iron Monger throwing the ball down the centre and out lanes at $2 a game I stopped playing it! Now that I own a IM I love it

Right, that can be frustrating - but the player quickly learns that those attacks are something they can avoid if they don't aim dead-center at Iron Monger. Also, I would say that getting killed by a Monger magnet attack is more "fun" than an airball or outlane jump. It's a death that's AT LEAST the result of gameplay.

1 week later
#787 7 years ago

I finally got to play the Pro - so I figured I'd add my half-ass review to the half-ass review thread.

Not sure what else I can add that hasn't been said already...but here we go.

F*ck John Trudeau and his giant f*cking flipper gap. There was NO reason to do that with this layout and geometry. Almost any bounce anywhere heads toward the middle. My girlfriend hated it...and she loves Ghostbusters. No one who loves Ghostbusters should have a shitty time playing this game....unfortunately this game seems to be designed for pro tournament players only, and doesn't take into account 99% of people will drain in 2 seconds and walk away forever. The best tournament games also have casual factors that let anyone enjoy...this game fails at that. I wish they would have left the flipper gap stock...and if someone felt their game was too easy, they could add lightning flippers (like BSD, Fish Tales, Dr. Who). Surprisingly, the side drains weren't as horrific as I was anticipating - it's really the fiipper gap that's evil.

I hated that you had to play modes over and over to advance to the next. Since this game has tight shots and little flow, you really need to get control of the ball every time to make your shot, and time runs out quickly. I wish you didn't have to complete a mode to advance to the next. Sure, give me a bonus if I finish a mode - but don't punish me and make me start it over and over. Once a mode times out, the next one should be up to bat. I saw "We got one" like 4 times in one game.

At first we were confused cuz we couldn't start a Multiball. But once I figured out you have to hit the captive ball twice, and that keeps all 3 locks lit for Storage Unit Multiball, it wasn't that hard to start.

There were TONS of airballs...but none that launched into the drain...but any time I hit a target or pinged off something, the ball would fly up, often going on top of the plastic in front of the firehouse. It would always roll off and back into play...but man...I'm not sure what makes this game so airball prone. Maybe just being new.

Slimer registered nicely...it was the old design.

Anyway - despite being a relatively frustrating experience, I still love the theme and presentation. I'm still in on a Premium, but I will unapologetically mod the shit out of the game to make it more fair and fun. This game has the potential to be a lot of fun...but for some reason the designers decided to do a few baffling things to shit it up.

#789 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Glad to see we are in general agreement on this game (though you didn't mention my least favorite "feature," the scoleri bros targets), and I welcome you into the half-ass review thread with open arms. Together, we have all formed a mighty, whole ass.

Strangely the Scoleris didn't launch the balls during the games I played...it was the blue targets that was somehow causing the balls to fly everywhere. I'm sure bending them forward a bit would solve it.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think the problem with airballs is symptomatic of a possibly rushed design or release. The game feels extremely unrefined, like maybe it could have used another revision or two to iron out the rough edges. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with this game in the future. Will the theme and presentation, which almost everybody agrees is awesome, be enough to buoy prices on a game that isn't as fun as Mustang?

A game MUST have fun factor to keep the value up...if a game is super fun, people keep it. If people keep it, it takes more money to pry it away. However, GB's theme is so strong, it will make owners a bit more forgiving of its flaws. If the theme wasn't so good, I'd prob cancel my order. Non-hardcore type players/owners are really only gonna dig this game with alterations to make it more fair. Or, Dwight can dial in the rules to be more balanced with the design.

#801 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Agree on the modes, there pretty liner. I prefer gameplay modes where they at least switch up with pop bumpers, you get sick of playing"who brought the dog" over and over… Code is still earlier so I'm going to wait for now.

I doubt this will change - however - Dwight, if you're reading this - please add a settings option for "Mode completion on/off". If off, and you lose the ball or time out a mode - the next time you start a mode it will be the next in the ladder. This game's physical design is way too hard for mandatory mode completion - it kills the fun when a player can only see "We Got One" 5 times in a game. Dwight programmed STTNG - imagine if you had to play the Asteroid mode to completion before you could see any other modes? This roadblock is doing the game a huge disservice...it's still going to be a very difficult challenge no matter what - but blocking out 80% of the content from ever being seen will make players not want to play it. There has to be appeal to casuals, and for Ghostbusters the appeal is the characters, situations, and humor. If it's impossible to experience any of that, what was the point of putting it in the game?

#807 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

If later modes are much more lucrative points wise than earlier modes (don't know if they are I have only played 10 games or so on GB), then you could have people deliberately timing out or even letting balls drain to get to later modes, and makes it much easier to get to "We came we saw". I like it, it just might not be simple to implement without causing some sort of imbalance.

That's stuff tournament players care about. If this was an option, non tournament players could set it for fun.

What if there's a massive bonus or multiplier for completion? Then there's an incentive not to time out.

Did people time out sttng? Indy? Shadow? Every 90s game? This was never an issue. You can't force tournament style gameplay on players if it makes the game less fun.

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Difficulty is fine and a variety in modes are welcome. If you look at games like ST, AF, Indy. they follow this formula. Personally its refreshing to play a different mode everytime to pick up and play. GB has a roadshow approach where you move up the ladder. it would be sweet if could switch it up.

It works in Road Show though since the game is physically easy. And has continues. No one has ever complained about not being able to see the West coast in Road Show.

#827 7 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

Sorry, this game is just not that hard for all of this hate. I can see it having some frustration. Overall it's decent design and fun with challenge. The flipper gap is not that big of a deal. No different than CFTBL or BSD with lightning flippers.

Those games did not have be content this game has! BSD has 3 multiballs and a video mode. That's it. The lighting flippers are PERFECT for that style of game. Not one with a butt load of story based modes. And on the topic of lighting flippers - they used the lighting flippers after testing showed it was too easy with normal flippers. Did GB testing show it needed a huge gap? No. JT just did it to do it. Would have preferred a normal gap and those who wanted it harder could have changed to lighting flippers.

#887 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes people timed out modes (like on STTNG) and why games require some hits to keep the counters going now. The advantage was if the end goal was worth more than the incremental gain. On STTNG, Final Frontier was worth more than the risk of some of the modes.

Lets be honest though - 99.9999% of players do NOT play games that way. Only people looking for tournament exploits. Pretty much every mode based game ever doesn't require completion to advance..."timing out modes" is generally a non issue. Only people who aren't playing for fun will do that. Most mode based games give you some reward for completion - but do not require it.

Think about Lord of the Rings: A timed out/lost mode won't be replayed (until all modes are finished and it cycles back)...you can play the other modes. However, the player is rewarded for completion with Elf Gifts. Imagine having to play "Witch King" over and over again until completion before you could advance!

Or how about Family Guy: A timed out/lost mode won't be replayed (until all modes are finished and it cycles back)...you can play the other modes. However, the player is rewarded for completion once they get to TV Wizard Mode with more lucrative points. Imagine playing "Chicken Fight" over and over until Peter wins!

I guarantee if any beloved games of the past required mode completions, causing you to play the same modes 4 or 5 times in a row...those games would NOT be beloved today.

I truly hope this game's code changes or at least offers the option to disable mandatory mode completion. The physical layout is way too difficult to warrant this mode progression logic.

#888 7 years ago

(Edited: Sorry, double post)

#890 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

GB threads summed up in two sentences.
My opinion is superior to yours and you WIll conform to my opinion! If not, I will bash your opinion till I feel good about my own opinion again.
With that being said, I can appreciate the opinions on both sides but I'm still thinking for myself and can't wait for my Premium to arrive.

No one's opinion is wrong....it's an opinion.

That being said - does anyone have the opinion that playing the same mode 5 times in a row makes the game fun?

#893 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Yes. Make a pinball machine that's better and we'll talk. otherwise this sounds like sour grapes from people that find happiness in being the poop in the punchbowl.

Didn't answer my question. I don't have to make a game...there are 100's of mode based games that have set a precedent already. We know what works and what's fun in mode based games. Moving from mode to mode (with rewards if completed) is fun. Playing the same mode over and over and over is not.

Quoted from Cornelius:

I know there's only so much you can talk about as far as modern pinball is concerned, but do you dudes with your constant negativity think you're pushing the hobby forward? 'Cause you're not. especially with talk like "John Trudeau is a shitty pinball designer". he's better than the naysayers will ever be.

I'm giving you a well thought out arguments for the mode issue based on a decade of in-depth pinball play and rules understanding. How dare you chalk it up to "negativity". I have an opinion that's valid, based on experience - and "pushing the hobby forward" is irrelevant to this discussion. I've been rooting for Trudeau - I love Congo! Mustang is a nice player (not a fan of the theme though). WWE is a bomb. GB has a lot of great things going on, but has some baffling things as well. No one is under any obligation to suck up to the designers. We're players and buyers, and we will have opinions based on our experience with the game.

#896 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I'm going to be honest with you, Rarehero: the people saying "This game is too hard!" or "It's just not fun" - methinks you haven't played it.

Me thinks you didn't read my review. Scroll back and read my first impressions. I played it & have a Premium on order.

In case you don't feel like it, short version:

-Huge flipper gap makes the game too hard for the amount of content in the game
-Forced replay of modes is a roadblock for players to enjoy the characters and humor of the license.

These things de-fun the game. Gap and outlanes can be fixed with mods. The mode completion thing is up to Dwight. If anyone feels the same way about the forced mode replays, please let the people at Stern know. If it's clear that this is something that many feel reduce the fun factor of the game, perhaps we'll get an option setting to change it. Thank you!

#898 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

And how is that I played the game and don't share the same sentiments AT ALL? I guess I'm just a blind, drooling fanboy who likes any ol' Pinball games.
PS Thank YOU! The toilet's clogged.

Enough with the defensive bullshit and insults. Just have a conversation with me.

Once again I ask - do you enjoy playing "We Got One" 3 or 4 times in a row when you COULD be playing the other modes in the ladder instead?

#903 7 years ago

I played the game and don't watch Archer. The rest of your conspiracy theory ignored....

Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't recall EVERY SINGLE MODE I PLAYED.

You probably didn't start any....or saw the same one over and over.

There's more to story/mode based games than multiball and scores. You're playing for the experience. Right now too much of that experience is unobtainable, even for good players.

Again - try something like LOTR. Beloved game. Every time you hit the mode start shot (Ring), you get a new mode...new shots, new voices,new music. That is exciting and fun. If every game of LOTR forced you to start with Witch King and complete it before being able to play other modes, LOTR would be a hated game. Those who finish LOTR modes are rewarded with an Elf Gift. Those who don't do not get a gift, but are not punished by playing the same mode again.

#908 7 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

FFS! Sell the game already. Nothing is going to please or change anything for you with this game.

Not true. If the code is revised to not force mode replay, I will be pleased.

#910 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Waaaaay too easy of a game, I get bored.

Why are you avoiding the topic of forced mode replay vs. mode advancement?

#911 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Don't watch Archer but got a Family Guy avatar? oooooooh, maybe we're dealing with a difference of tastes.

You're new, I take it? Taste isn't the issue.

#914 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Sweet downvote, Rarehero.
I wonder what the Pinside turnover is like?

Try having a conversation instead of deflecting. And don't get butthurt over downvote. It means "Disagree". I disagree with how you're making accusations and ignoring questions.

#920 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Because I don't give a shit? Fun is fun, I find the game fun, you don't, sell the game Mr. Moneybags and find a new topic to complain about.

Ah, more insults. Hey, I tried to keep it civil. Can I call you Mr. Fuckface Piece of Shit, since we're on an asshole to asshole basis right now?

I'm discussing the game because no Stern code is set in stone. Code updates can massively change the gameplay and fun of a game if the programmer is open to it. It's happened before. Lonnie added an option to fix the Transformers roadblock, for example. Lyman added many player suggestions to Metallica.

Feedback is important!

#922 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I get it, you work for the shitty show. Golfclap.

Wow, what a fucking asshole...

#931 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Sorry, it's a shitty show IMHFO. I'm sure you get paid well on it, so good for you. Glad you can buy a bunch of pins that you can turn around and go on Pinside and talk about how shitty they are.

I don't have to justify my career or how I "hobby" to you. This is a good place with good people who have great insight and experience with pinball. For some reason, you're choosing to be a vomit's vomit rather than engaging people like a human being. Nothing else to say to you.

Ignore button, activate.

#994 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Do you know of any places closer to the valley that have it?

I was just at Pinz in Studio City playing it.

I played w a guy who got like 3 billion and had no idea what he was doing. I was in the 300 million area trying to pick off the modes. He got his score by (I think) getting loopin supers, storage MB, and PKE frenzy all going at once....maybe some other things!

Clearly trying to play thru the story isn't the way to get points. It seems to be all about all the other little goals scattered about the playfield. I think maybe I just need to rethink how this game is structured. I think it's actually kind of like Congo in some ways. Collecting ghosts is kind of like collecting the diamonds on Congo.

I was also getting the hang of the physics a bit and had a few good runs of finishing modes and linking them together. Due to this structure, I'm ok with the linear ladders. While it's frustrating if you have to repeat modes, it is fun to string together a "story" if you're jamming on it well. I still think an option for replaying/completion would be great, especially for casual players....

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#999 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You were in the 300M range? So...~half of your score was from the Terror Dog???

I guess? I dunno, clearly the scoring strategy is lost on me lol I definitely didn't seem to be getting many points from the modes, but I was trying to get through them cuz I wanna see the gaddamn Marshmallow Man! I could only get to Spook Central on that ladder...I got to The Ballroom on the center ladder.

It'll be really interesting to see how different the Prem/LE plays from the Pro. While the right ramp on the Pro is a bit clunky, it's also a bit clever in how it sends the ball over to the right flipper to set you up for a left-hand side shots. The right ramp on the Prem/LE sets you up for more right-hand side shots. Not sure if that'll be good, bad, or indifferent...but it'll definitely make the game have a different type of flow.

#1049 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Button Mash and 82 are the only ones I know about in the Southland.

Pinz bowling alley and Family Arcade have it too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.