image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkeyepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1068 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So I put a few hours in on Ghostbusters today, at Pioneers Bar in NYC - your only stop for Ghostbusters pinball!
I liked it. It's a much different game than we've seen lately, fairly unorthodox layout. Refreshing after the likes of KISS and GOT.
Super fast game, and drainy. Though not really down the middle - you miss, the ball sails into the outlanes. I predict a strong market of "outlane extenders" for people who aren't good at pinball.
THere are really only two "easy" shots - the left ramp, and the right orbit kinda thingee. Other shots are all very tight, especially that left orbit. Tight shots, tough to get in a groove.
So it's a challenging game for sure. Decent scores seemed to be in the 100 million range. Best scores I had were a couple 500 plus and my mic drop, time to go home and eat gefilte fish game of 950.
Don't really have any complaints except the slimer didn't seem to work so well. Wouldn't always register. Also the pop slot award Light Storage is kind of pointless because it only lights ONE lock, and then you have to hit the newton ball to light further ones which would have lit all of them anyway. Also the pioneers game has very shallow flippers so bounce passing and traps are difficult. DOn't know if this is intended but if it were my game I'd probably adjust them a little.
You GB fanboys will love it. I do have to say...I know you have to do it because it's Ghostbusters but gott-damn would I get sick of that song in home use. It burrows into your brain and won't leave and that's not a good thing.
piss and moan update from a week later:
OK, I'd like to add about 25% more ass to this review...and it's not gonna be pretty.
I have some grievances I'd like to air.
Put a bunch more time on this game, at a launch tournament yesterday and about an hour today.
This game - simply put - is frustrating, sometimes maddening, and not a whole lot of fun.
Most of it has to do with the layout, which seems like it was designed by a masochist for his own pleasure. The double inlanes - unlike what you would see in a lawlor game - seem designed to pitch the ball out. SLimer often results in totally random outlane drains you that happen suddenly and you have no hope of saving. The drop targets...Dear lord, what is the point of these things? These scoleri targets pop up - blocking the two most important shots in the game. Shooting them often means certain death. Or total brick. Followed by certain death. They seem to be there for only one reason - to annoy you. If you aren't already annoyed by the unncecesarilly large center gap, the ridiculous outlanes, or the random nature of the game. You don't even seem to get anything worthwhile when you shoot them and somehow manage to keep the ball in play. How about a multiball for nailing 4 of them or something? How about picking off mode shots. How about ANYTHING that seems to justify the existence of this obnoxious feature?
The left ramp shot has it's own peculiarities. If you miss the shot, there's a good chance the ball will ricochet off the standups, fly into the air, and land on the Sigourney plastic on the lower left, where it will then either roll back into play, or sail into the left outlane. Well, since this is Ghostbusters, it's always gonna sail into the outlane, cause that's what this game does.
The repetitive nature of the modes, which people were saying was gonna be an issue earlier, and I pushed aside as petty whining, has also started to manifest itself. And this brings you to the software issues. Not only do you get really sick of playing these modes (which are all the same) over and over again, you get sick of the "skill shot." The only way to play this game with any kind of consistency is to short plunge in front of Stay Puft, have the ball roll down without validating the playfield, and then try to hit whatever skill shot you picked. If you drain, you'll get a chance to do it again. So every ball starts with often multiple attempts to get the skill shot, which rewards you with often crazy unbalanced scores and the chance to (yay!!!!) play one the modes that are quickly wearing out their welcome. If you miss the skill shot, you get to start slimer, which is basically the only thing lit. Or you can just smash a brick through the glass and place the ball into either outlane or the huge flipper gap, cause that's what's gonna happen anyway once you start slimer.
I don't know man. It just doesn't seem very fun at this point. Turn off the tilt, and buy whatever aftermarket stuff the mod gang comes up with to make this thing somewhat playable and we might be on to something. But right now it's just very frustrating and gets old fast.

Drama much?

#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Just crazy we have to mod, add upgrades and fixes just to make this pin enjoyable.
GB... FAIL

Who is "we"?
I find it enjoyable as it sets.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 103.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkeyepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review?tu=hawkeyepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.