image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guinnesstime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And 4 games in, the left flipper died. Massive bummer. But that happens from time to time on a brand new pin. My half assed opinion review will have to wait.

Make it truly half-assed and just review the right side of the game.

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

It would make sense to cycle each ladder of modes based on pop hits for one ladder, slingers for another, and certain switch hits for the other. That way they're always randomizing but still somewhat player controlled. Sort of like the beer can modes on FGY, if I have beer can lit early, I'm gonna get some pops action to cycle it.

I have and love Road Show so I can take anything. Bring it on!

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

RFM and RS are pretty easy games, tho. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about them being too hard to see most or all of the content.

Easier, yes, but RS is very linear. Still I like it a lot.

RFM got tiring fast for me despite "choose your mode"

#307 8 years ago

We need an Animal House pin. There's just way too much material and great music.

Do you mind if we dance with your dates?

#393 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Haven't played it yet.
But the LE looks like TMNT and Bonebusters had a baby.

So, Teenboners?

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive changed games with regular flippers to banana flippers! Damn Fun change!
Maybe 1 Carrot and 1 Banana Mixed?

Dinner.

#445 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK, I'd like to add about 25% more ass to this review...and it's not gonna be pretty.
I have some grievances I'd like to air.
Put a bunch more time on this game, at a launch tournament yesterday and about an hour today.
This game - simply put - is frustrating, sometimes maddening, and not a whole lot of fun.
Most of it has to do with the layout, which seems like it was designed by a masochist for his own pleasure. The double inlanes - unlike what you would see in a lawlor game - seem designed to pitch the ball out. SLimer often results in totally random outlane drains you that happen suddenly and you have no hope of saving. The drop targets...Dear lord, what is the point of these things? These scoleri targets pop up - blocking the two most important shots in the game. Shooting them often means certain death. Or total brick. Followed by certain death. They seem to be there for only one reason - to annoy you. If you aren't already annoyed by the unncecesarilly large center gap, the ridiculous outlanes, or the random nature of the game. You don't even seem to get anything worthwhile when you shoot them and somehow manage to keep the ball in play. How about a multiball for nailing 4 of them or something? How about picking off mode shots. How about ANYTHING that seems to justify the existence of this obnoxious feature?
The left ramp shot has it's own peculiarities. If you miss the shot, there's a good chance the ball will ricochet off the standups, fly into the air, and land on the Sigourney plastic on the lower left, where it will then either roll back into play, or sail into the left outlane. Well, since this is Ghostbusters, it's always gonna sail into the outlane, cause that's what this game does.
The repetitive nature of the modes, which people were saying was gonna be an issue earlier, and I pushed aside as petty whining, has also started to manifest itself. And this brings you to the software issues. Not only do you get really sick of playing these modes (which are all the same) over and over again, you get sick of the "skill shot." The only way to play this game with any kind of consistency is to short plunge in front of Stay Puft, have the ball roll down without validating the playfield, and then try to hit whatever skill shot you picked. If you drain, you'll get a chance to do it again. So every ball starts with often multiple attempts to get the skill shot, which rewards you with often crazy unbalanced scores and the chance to (yay!!!!) play one the modes that are quickly wearing out their welcome. If you miss the skill shot, you get to start slimer, which is basically the only thing lit. Or you can just smash a brick through the glass and place the ball into either outlane or the huge flipper gap, cause that's what's gonna happen anyway once you start slimer.
Multiball is still pretty much an afterthought. In the unlikely event you start it, your multiball likely will be brutal and short. And since most of the points seem to come from modes and skill shots, it doesn't really matter anyway.
I don't know man. It just doesn't seem very fun at this point. Turn off the tilt, and buy whatever aftermarket stuff the mod gang comes up with to make this thing somewhat playable and we might be on to something. But right now it's just very frustrating and gets old fast. Even when I manage to have a good game, there's not much of a sense of accomplishment. I just feel like I got lucky.

This is why I'm spending only $8K on this game and NOT A PENNY MORE.

#511 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hilarious. My wife had enough of my new Indy 500 after a few plays.
Wife and kids had no interest in my TWD but they want to play GB! It needs to be set up as "playable" for the stiffs.

I500 is damn tough and I miss mine. Dead flips, post passes and lots of flipper control needed. No time to nudge. My kind of game.

Everyone else hated it.

#613 7 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

That's funny. I heard the same thing when I played it as well.
Watch the dead flip video. You will hear it at 8:19 and 8:30 just to point out 2 spot where it can be heard.
I think its more pronounced in person than it is on this video.
» YouTube video

Wait are we talking about that 1/2 second chime sound?

WOZ has 650,000 chime sounds (approx). It's hard NOT to find a chime sound that isn't used in WOZ. Hell, my doorbell should sue JJP.

#701 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Mezel mods posted his first attempt in his mod post. He stated that the color was just scrap material.

I'm not one to bitch -- well actually I am who am I kidding? -- but MetzelMODS should only have to work on MODS for the game, not have to correct an obvious Stern design flaw.

It's a shame, really.

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

there isn't a setting for skipping animations in the adjustments?

Should be. Location games probably don't have it enabled.

3 weeks later
#792 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I finally got to play the Pro - so I figured I'd add my half-ass review to the half-ass review thread.
Not sure what else I can add that hasn't been said already...but here we go.
F*ck John Trudeau and his giant f*cking flipper gap. There was NO reason to do that with this layout and geometry. Almost any bounce anywhere heads toward the middle. My girlfriend hated it...and she loves Ghostbusters. No one who loves Ghostbusters should have a shitty time playing this game....

Anyway - despite being a relatively frustrating experience, I still love the theme and presentation. I'm still in on a Premium, but I will unapologetically mod the shit out of the game to make it more fair and fun. This game has the potential to be a lot of fun...but for some reason the designers decided to do a few baffling things to shit it up.

Amen brother. You can tip save on a Trudeau game without moving the pin inches. Impossible for novices. Hell, dead flips risk drains on my Creech all the time, so you have to flail like a newbie sometimes.

I'd tell Trudeau to his face that I hate his f*cking flipper gap and he's an asshole for doing it though. It's total bullshit.

F*ck Stern for listening. If it sucks, I'm modifying mine to be more playable as well. Carrot flippers FTW. My kids are looking forward to it and there's no reason to not enjoy a very expensive toy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 103.00
Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider guinnesstime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review?tu=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.