Topic Stats

• 1,084 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John1210
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 56 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F2000_(resized).JPG
ColorLED_(resized).jpg
Storage_(resized).jpg
Glo-Balls_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago

I'll will finally get to play GB in about half an hour. I always love this part of pinball. A new game that has been hyped pretty hard, and all of that hype is meaningless, because I get to play it and see for myself. Fun times.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'll will finally get to play GB in about half an hour. I always love this part of pinball. A new game that has been hyped pretty hard, and all of that hype is meaningless, because I get to play it and see for myself. Fun times.

And 4 games in, the left flipper died. Massive bummer. But that happens from time to time on a brand new pin. My half assed opinion review will have to wait.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And 4 games in, the left flipper died. Massive bummer. But that happens from time to time on a brand new pin. My half assed opinion review will have to wait.

Who ya gonna call? Pinballmike217 is his username on Pinside, and he operates Lanes & Games. I kicked him an email after the flipper issue, and he was there about 40 minutes later. I wish there were more operators like him. He tracked it down to the EOS on the left flipper. So I got to play more, so now I'm half assed!

Half assed word is: It's decent, but it doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I don't have any big complaints. I like the combination of easier and tougher shots. I also really liked the lighting when Slimer was down. In fact overall the game is very well lit.

Bringing Slimer down and hitting him lights scenes (modes). The scoop then starts the scene. There were other times when three shots were lit for mode start.

Slimer shots were delayed (minor code issue) where you hit Slimer, and it registers the effect from it a couple seconds later.

Part of the problem is that Stern has put out some great games lately. While waiting for the repair I was playing a lot of others. TWD, ST, SM, IM and Tron. GB was fine, but those others are better. I realize that isn't fair to say. I am comparing mature games to something that is unfinished. But like I said, this is a half assed review. I'll revisit it after more play. But so far, it isn't going to live up to the hype.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just watched this video of these guys playing GB Pro.
Brutal is definitely the word. Those outlanes may even be more brutal than TWD, and combined with the flipper gap.. It looks extremely difficult. Not to mention the rumor or the Slimer bash toy not registering seems to be happening a lot on this machine.
Watching them play you can see they are mostly talking about how brutal the outlanes are, and they seem pretty frustrated by it.
At 18:00 it is even worse then the TWD drain from the pop/tunnel area, this guy had two SDTM right from the plunges in a row. That would suck.. Especially if you are paying to play this game.
» YouTube video
(Might want to skip the initial intro and get to the part with the guy explaining the machine and playing it)

That's not a totally fair example of the play. John filmed his very first Ghostbusters games. I don't know about all of you, but my first few games on a new machine are always horrible. I'm overwhelmed looking at everything going on that I forget all about ball control. Actually I kind of respect that within a few moments of seeing the machine for the first time he was filming his play on it for all of us to see.

(Ha, and you can hear some of my tilt warnings on TWD in the background )

#201 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Unless the rules change substantially, the average pinsider is going to be playing A LOT of the Scared librarian and Who Bought the Dog modes.
rd.

That will have to be changed. It can't stay linear like that because the game would get boring fast for average players.

#367 4 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

23 seconds in
» YouTube video

Good eye. So magnets

image.jpgimage.jpg

#395 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I couldn't stand my BSD with the lightning flippers installed. The shots not feeling natural was the main reason, not because of center drains though. Once I installed normal flippers, man was the game so much more fun and natural feeling.

And boring... I know it is a tiny change and the flippers are not that much bigger, but it takes some of the stress of the game away. And BSD is a game that lives on stress. I want to feel a little uneasy as I play it, because I'm supposed to be battling with a vampire. That is supposed to be stressful.

#398 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

But that's why when someone owns a game, they can adjust, mod and tweak it the way they want to enjoy it.

Absolutely correct. Everyone should set them up exactly how they like them. I was just expressing my opinion that I don't like the game like that. In BSD I like it to have a hard edge.

And also correct, the game was designed for normal flippers. However the ball times were too long and they were swapped for lightning flippers to make it harder. I think the story is that a distributor started that, and then it became the standard to have lightning flips.

#519 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Too this day I can't tell you what a LotR scoring strategy might be, but my goal is to play thru the story...the scores land where they may.

Shockingly, I can't either. However, LOTR is an exception because of the story the game tells. I can always tell you how long it has been since I destroyed the ring, or completed one of the multiballs. Score is secondary to the quest in that game.

I had some of the same issues with GB that CrazyLevi did. But I think my biggest issue is still other games that are more fun to me. IM is brutal, but the ruleset fits it. Every game needs to match the rules to the physical play of the game, and GB feels a bit schitzophrenic to me because they don't match up. It seems to have a medium depth ruleset matched with a brutal playfield, so it just doesn't feel "right" to me.

#531 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

I am awful at pinball and was easily able to bring multiball into a mode and plow my way up the ladder and almost got to Marshmallow Man.

That just doesn't make sense new guy. You are awful at pinball, yet found it easy to bring multiballs into modes and plow up the ladder... On Ghostbusters? At that rate of awful you should win PAPA next year, or be frozen as a dupe. One of the two.

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've been playing my Stern Stars for months and can't get enough

Man, I love Stars. I finally have a reason to like you

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought hat was Stargazer?

Well it sure as heck isn't Stars (displays in the wrong spot).

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well it sure as heck isn't Stars (displays in the wrong spot).

I just had a look. Stargazer was correct. TheLaw wins.

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Oh, maybe it is Stargazer, hell it has the word star in it!

LittleGBPinball_(resized).jpg

(and I love Stargazer too, but I've never had the opportunity to own it)

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

would you go with a MET (proven great game) or take a chance on a GB Pro or Premium without having played one?

Well I'll never buy another game without playing it, so MET.

MET is a proven winner, but more than that, it is a fun game. The code is a blast, and I like how you can just pound on something specific to start a Multiball, or try to cash out a big CIU. Risk reward (double CIU, don't exit and try for higher points. All around fun game.

GB is just starting. Some like it, some don't, just like every game. Without playing it, you just don't know which side you will be on.

Personally GB is making me look at titles I didn't buy like ST and TWD. Right now those are more appealing to bring in. Completed code, proven games I like. That is a winning combination.

3 weeks later
#757 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's why Iron Man and Tron are great...they DO in fact kill you quick...but you always feel like you're on the cusp of an accomplishment...one more try will do it!

Well said. It is that right there that keeps me hitting start over and over. Both of those games are very easy to understand, but difficult to master. Tron always makes me feel like I'm a couple good shots away from busting it open, even when I don't complete a single mode.

2 months later
#1074 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Play the same
Mode every game
Who bought the dog?
Ghostbusters!

If you're tired of playing "Who bought the dog?" switch the game to Spanish so you can play the fresh new "Que compró el perro?" mode! See, all new and not boring at all!

¿Quién soltó los perros? Rotor de Dave soltó los perros!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Hampton Roads, VA
$ 11.95
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
Machine - For Sale
Hampton Roads, VA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside