Topic Stats

• 1,084 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John1210
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 56 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F2000_(resized).JPG
ColorLED_(resized).jpg
Storage_(resized).jpg
Glo-Balls_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

So I put a few hours in on Ghostbusters today, at Pioneers Bar in NYC - your only stop for Ghostbusters pinball!

I liked it. It's a much different game than we've seen lately, fairly unorthodox layout. Refreshing after the likes of KISS and GOT.

Super fast game, and drainy. Though not really down the middle - you miss, the ball sails into the outlanes. I predict a strong market of "outlane extenders" for people who aren't good at pinball.

THere are really only two "easy" shots - the left ramp, and the right orbit kinda thingee. Other shots are all very tight, especially that left orbit. Tight shots, tough to get in a groove.

So it's a challenging game for sure. Decent scores seemed to be in the 100 million range. Best scores I had were a couple 500 plus and my mic drop, time to go home and eat gefilte fish game of 950.

Don't really have any complaints except the slimer didn't seem to work so well. Wouldn't always register. Also the pop slot award Light Storage is kind of pointless because it only lights ONE lock, and then you have to hit the newton ball to light further ones which would have lit all of them anyway. Also the pioneers game has very shallow flippers so bounce passing and traps are difficult. DOn't know if this is intended but if it were my game I'd probably adjust them a little.

You GB fanboys will love it. I do have to say...I know you have to do it because it's Ghostbusters but gott-damn would I get sick of that song in home use. It burrows into your brain and won't leave and that's not a good thing.

piss and moan update from a week later:

OK, I'd like to add about 25% more ass to this review...and it's not gonna be pretty.

I have some grievances I'd like to air.

Put a bunch more time on this game, at a launch tournament yesterday and about an hour today.

This game - simply put - is frustrating, sometimes maddening, and not a whole lot of fun.

Most of it has to do with the layout, which seems like it was designed by a masochist for his own pleasure. The double inlanes - unlike what you would see in a lawlor game - seem designed to pitch the ball out. SLimer often results in totally random outlane drains you that happen suddenly and you have no hope of saving. The drop targets...Dear lord, what is the point of these things? These scoleri targets pop up - blocking the two most important shots in the game. Shooting them often means certain death. Or total brick. Followed by certain death. They seem to be there for only one reason - to annoy you. If you aren't already annoyed by the unncecesarilly large center gap, the ridiculous outlanes, or the random nature of the game. You don't even seem to get anything worthwhile when you shoot them and somehow manage to keep the ball in play. How about a multiball for nailing 4 of them or something? How about picking off mode shots. How about ANYTHING that seems to justify the existence of this obnoxious feature?

The left ramp shot has it's own peculiarities. If you miss the shot, there's a good chance the ball will ricochet off the standups, fly into the air, and land on the Sigourney plastic on the lower left, where it will then either roll back into play, or sail into the left outlane. Well, since this is Ghostbusters, it's always gonna sail into the outlane, cause that's what this game does.

The repetitive nature of the modes, which people were saying was gonna be an issue earlier, and I pushed aside as petty whining, has also started to manifest itself. And this brings you to the software issues. Not only do you get really sick of playing these modes (which are all the same) over and over again, you get sick of the "skill shot." The only way to play this game with any kind of consistency is to short plunge in front of Stay Puft, have the ball roll down without validating the playfield, and then try to hit whatever skill shot you picked. If you drain, you'll get a chance to do it again. So every ball starts with often multiple attempts to get the skill shot, which rewards you with often crazy unbalanced scores and the chance to (yay!!!!) play one the modes that are quickly wearing out their welcome. If you miss the skill shot, you get to start slimer, which is basically the only thing lit. Or you can just smash a brick through the glass and place the ball into either outlane or the huge flipper gap, cause that's what's gonna happen anyway once you start slimer.

I don't know man. It just doesn't seem very fun at this point. Turn off the tilt, and buy whatever aftermarket stuff the mod gang comes up with to make this thing somewhat playable and we might be on to something. But right now it's just very frustrating and gets old fast.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

How were the insert fonts?

A gross miscarriage of artistic justice.

Not sure if worse than the infamous thrones gradient fill but time will tell.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

The flippers on the one I played also were not aligned properly. Both flippers seemed to be slightly below the lane guide path and cradling balls on either side was not easy. They need to be adjusted and it's hard to believe they shipped this way.

Yes, the flippers are low. But it is a pretty easy adjustment. DOn't make vid come in here and tell us all about the old days where williams games shipped with families of Possums living in the head.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Or combine with CrazyLevi and make a complete ass.

That's hot.

The right flipper apparently died on the one at pioneers last night. I think it is a minor adjustment issue - binding or misaligned coil. This happened on our thrones as well. Will be fixed early today.

#33 4 years ago

How about an option to kill the GB theme?

Seriously. It would drive me to the insane asylum within a week.

Maybe it could be substituted with some generic haunted house type
Music or something.

When the game is over, and you think you are finally safe?

Outro music: fuckin ghostbusters. "I can't hear you! GHOSTBUSTERS! Louder! GHOSTBUSTERS!"

Make it stop!!!!

#36 4 years ago

Stay puft lit up and that's it.

#39 4 years ago

It's not about "upbeat" or not, it's about literally being driven insane by a song that after 30 years most of us had finally gotten out of our heads.

Serenity Now!

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't get the complaints. It was a huge hit song, most people love it, it's still popular today...why is it wrong for a song to be catchy? Isn't that the point? To complain about the GB song in a GB game is like complaining about ACDC music in an ACDC game - oh wait, people do that too. How come you never hear a complaint about the 15 second music loops most games have for main tunes?

I like how you ignored my entire fucking review and latched like a pitbull on to a very minor part of it - the mention of the maddeningly infectious tune, and said the same thing about it over. And over. And over. And then over again.

And over again once more in case we missed your point.

Do you have any other thoughts on my review? Or are you just going to continue to expound upon those two crucial sentences at the end?

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's what I felt like responding to. You don't get to dictate how I respond to your posts. Put me on ignore, please.

You dont get to dictate how I complain about your posts. Put me on ignore, please.

Owned.

I just thought you had more to offer us than a bunch of petulant whining about nothing important. Guess I was wrong.

You used to be a pretty open-minded guy. It's odd to see someone like you get so hung up on the not exactly radical assertion that "maybe some people might get sick of the Ghostbusters song." You act like that statement is akin to saying the world is flat

#160 4 years ago

Center post?!

It's not even a particularly center-drain prone game. The important shots are all off to the side.

My experience anyway.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I still am. Disagreeing with your complaint doesn't change that. You're not interested in me repeating it, I'm done with it. I'm not interested in your personal attacks, so let it go.

So are you rescinding the request?

Surely ignoring is not the answer!!!

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you don't want to hear from me, ignore me. It's very simple.

I've never ignored anybody.

Why would I start with you?

It's way more complicated then you think, brother!

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

45 minute games on location maybe? When I put my Spidey out on location, I removed the post and opened the out lanes. Otherwise games went on forever, especially in tournament play.

I just don't see how this game would benefit from a center post.

Where are all these center drains coming from? Slimer or the GHOST targets? I didn't see it.

A center post won't help save balls with side-to-side action and that's what this game is always doing.

People should give this game a chance before they start closing up outlanes, stuffing rubber bands in them, or shoehorning in whatever mods evil minds are coming up with at this very moment to coddle impatient players.

Yes it's tough and drainy. PLay it for a little bit and start learning the shots, and what is safe and what isn't, and you will improve.

Like every other game ever made.

#176 4 years ago

It's not fun to suck at a game.

It is fun to play the game a bit and get better at it, and learn how to play it safer or avoid FU situations.

STTNG is one of my favorites, and it used to say FU to me on a regular basis. When I started to learn the shots more I started to turn the tables on the bitch, and now I own her. Sometimes. Other times I still suck.

Not every game needs to be like Spiderman where you can step up to it your first game and play 30 minutes.

I quickly defaulted to the "shoot the left ramp or the right orbit" when I didn't have time to consider other options on Ghostbusters. This helped a lot as those are easy shots. When I had a little more time to gather my wits and think about what I was doing, I'd start to work the rest of the playfield. I'd be interested in learning how others deal with this game.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Wait! Why?
These two are the perfect adversarial match! Pinside GOLD, I tell you!

Anybody who comes straight out of the gate with "please ignore me" isn't gonna be a very good adversary.

I prefer to think of what we could achieve if we joined forces.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

STTNG has notorious drainy outlanes due to how the ball bounces off the non-traditionally shaped/placed slings. Once you learn how to nudge right when it hits that top sling corner and bounce the ball higher, you're less likely to drain. I wonder if that's a trick that can work on GB.

Let's play it and find out!

Honestly I started doing better when I just started to come up with a strategy and started making my shots. I had some pretty good games.

I think people will be able to figure this one. And of course proper leveling and such will always be a factor.

#183 4 years ago

Word on the street is mass hysteria has some ridiculous bug that can be exploited for ridiculous scores like that when mixed with wizard mode. I would guess that will be addressed soon.

#221 4 years ago

Anybody who had played Addams family 1000 times has probably started with Mamushaka or Cousin It 800 times.

I don't think it's that big a deal. Many games tend to be linear like that.

#224 4 years ago

I don't remember seeing the rule that all players are supposed to see everything a machine has to offer or there's some kind of flaw in the game.

Don't see why modes need to be randomized. This is a non-issue. Most people have never seen Everything Simpsons or Rings has to offer , or even ruled the universe of whatever it is in MM. They stil buy these games.

It's also interesting to not almost nobody has played ghostbusters yet and people are talking center posts and software revisions. Cart before the ghostly horse apparition people.

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I am enjoying this game, but haven't quite figured out how to get consecutive super jackpots on the left ramp. I had it once and it blew up my score.
I also can't make the right ramp shot to save my life.

That shot - along with the left spinner - is incredibly tight. It is interesting that they matched this crowd-pleaser theme with such a newbie ( or even average player) unfriendly layout. I was kind of expecting something more like kiss.

There are going to be lots of frustrated ghostbusters owners, but then I think well see mods and 5-ball settings to calm down the natives.

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

it's not about seeing everything in one game, but it's about having a different experience everytime you push start.

Makes sense. No reason they can't be randomized.

#255 4 years ago

On the ghostbusters I played in NYC, the right flipper has been very problematic, and it has to do with the eos switch.

The flipper was dying - no power flips. Only hold. Standard misadjusted eos switch behavior from the old days.

I have adjusted this switch several times, and it will work and then start getting iffy again. It's a very clear, simple adjustment.

My guess is a defective eos switch. The op has adjusted it again (instead of replacing it as I suggested) and we will see what happens. If it continues to malfunction well replace the switch.

Is this a new flipper system?

#257 4 years ago

Right so same system basically.

I'm wondering if they got some bad eos switches in. Sounds like our game has a similar issue as someone else stated.

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Is Vigo the Carpathian in the game?

Ghostbusters 2 wasn't a very good movie.

Which made it strange to me that people were always clamoring for ghostbusters 3.

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...to make up for it!
...but yeah, it was terrible. First one was just that lightning in a bottle - very hard to recreate it. The tone and energy of the 2nd movie was just completely off. I think the same thing happened with MIB1 & 2. 3 was OK...maybe GB 3 would have been OK lol

Intersting you compare it to MIB 1/2. Both were very fun special effects comedies. Maybe you just get one shot at that before the charm is gone.

I saw bill Murray on letterman or something a couple years after GB2. He said they had so much fun making the first one they figured they'd do it again. And they had fun, but the movie sucked. Sorry.

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Ok. Funny post. I route a TWD, because of it being a drain monster I added slingshot posts to the outlanes. Makes the game so much more accessible. Trying the same thing on gb, nope! This game definitely isn't even in the realm of draineyness of games like TWD, IM, and others.

image_(resized).jpeg

It's not "drainy" because you have reduce the drain area to about 3 percent larger than a pinball.

That's crazy man. You probably never drain at all now. I'm sure well see people Actually follow thru with this mod!!!

It's not really the size of the drains. It's the constant side to side movement of the ball and the shape of the inlanes.

#381 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

If you have not played GB yet, it's way more drainy than IM. It's not the size of the opening. There's little to no rubber there to nudge the ball with. You have to concentrate on nudging to keep the ball completely out of the area. Problem with that is the ball is moving so fast you rarely even have time to react so you just watch it go bye bye.

Right. It's not the size of the opening, it's the shape and constitution of the inlane railed. Plus any missed shot sends ball careening towards outlanes at wicked speed.

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

From what I've seen the flipper gap is less of an issue than the outlanes

100 percent true.

But I suspect some of the players here are so bad they won't even understand why they are sucking.

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've said it before, but design must compliment rules. BOP has very simple rules...the tougher design & flipper gap balance that out. Congo also has relatively simple rules...it's all about collecting the diamonds, it really doesn't have modes. That being said, Congo has a VERY generous ballsave...it keeps running even after it's saved. So - if a newb is draining a lot right off the bat, they'll get like 4 or 5 ball saves. Ghostbusters, like most modern games, has TONS of content - and that's why people are bumping on the design decisions to make it a super tough layout. Hopefully, like Congo, it will have software settings for generous ball save if the operator wants to give newbs a fighting chance. I think a shitload of extra ball save, like Congo, on ball 1 - would make people feel a little more comfortable.

Trudea's best game - by far - is creature. It not only has a magnificent design, it's got a deceptively deep ruleset that compliments it, offering many different ways to score while moving important shots all across the playfield.

BOP is an example of shallow, weak software that does the layout no favors.

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I agree that Creature is a great game, but personally I think it's best suited for location play. In the home collection, going for film and super jackpots over and over again is super repetitive. I got burnt out on it quick. I'm hoping GB has a neat layout and multiple dimensions to the game to keep me interested - and that's something certainty that can be made or broken by the code.

No way bro.

Move your car

The various film modes

There's always ways to pick up points In that game besides multiball

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Interesting - BOP is one of my favorite games of all time, and I fucking hate Creature. *shrug*
In any case, both are early 90's games and radically different than what GB looks to accomplish with its ruleset.

You must be a big fan of shooting the left ramp!

#435 4 years ago

OK, I'd like to add about 25% more ass to this review...and it's not gonna be pretty.

I have some grievances I'd like to air.

Put a bunch more time on this game, at a launch tournament yesterday and about an hour today.

This game - simply put - is frustrating, sometimes maddening, and not a whole lot of fun.

Most of it has to do with the layout, which seems like it was designed by a masochist for his own pleasure. The double inlanes - unlike what you would see in a lawlor game - seem designed to pitch the ball out. SLimer often results in totally random outlane drains you that happen suddenly and you have no hope of saving. The drop targets...Dear lord, what is the point of these things? These scoleri targets pop up - blocking the two most important shots in the game. Shooting them often means certain death. Or total brick. Followed by certain death. They seem to be there for only one reason - to annoy you. If you aren't already annoyed by the unncecesarilly large center gap, the ridiculous outlanes, or the random nature of the game. You don't even seem to get anything worthwhile when you shoot them and somehow manage to keep the ball in play. How about a multiball for nailing 4 of them or something? How about picking off mode shots. How about ANYTHING that seems to justify the existence of this obnoxious feature?

The left ramp shot has it's own peculiarities. If you miss the shot, there's a good chance the ball will ricochet off the standups, fly into the air, and land on the Sigourney plastic on the lower left, where it will then either roll back into play, or sail into the left outlane. Well, since this is Ghostbusters, it's always gonna sail into the outlane, cause that's what this game does.

The repetitive nature of the modes, which people were saying was gonna be an issue earlier, and I pushed aside as petty whining, has also started to manifest itself. And this brings you to the software issues. Not only do you get really sick of playing these modes (which are all the same) over and over again, you get sick of the "skill shot." The only way to play this game with any kind of consistency is to short plunge in front of Stay Puft, have the ball roll down without validating the playfield, and then try to hit whatever skill shot you picked. If you drain, you'll get a chance to do it again. So every ball starts with often multiple attempts to get the skill shot, which rewards you with often crazy unbalanced scores and the chance to (yay!!!!) play one the modes that are quickly wearing out their welcome. If you miss the skill shot, you get to start slimer, which is basically the only thing lit. Or you can just smash a brick through the glass and place the ball into either outlane or the huge flipper gap, cause that's what's gonna happen anyway once you start slimer.

Multiball is still pretty much an afterthought. In the unlikely event you start it, your multiball likely will be brutal and short. And since most of the points seem to come from modes and skill shots, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I don't know man. It just doesn't seem very fun at this point. Turn off the tilt, and buy whatever aftermarket stuff the mod gang comes up with to make this thing somewhat playable and we might be on to something. But right now it's just very frustrating and gets old fast. Even when I manage to have a good game, there's not much of a sense of accomplishment. I just feel like I got lucky.

#439 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I found the game to be far more exciting than frustrating. There's a real rush element to it when you put together a few shots in a row and avoid losing control of the ball.

It's certainly a shoot on the fly game.

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Can you compare to your experiences with how this game plays as far as drains and frustrations with a stock configured TWD?

Sure...it's much, much worse. TWDs are all over the map depending on which way they are leaning, how the tilt is, how the magnets behave etc. But after a few games you can get the hang of it and work with it by nudging out of the pops or anticipating how the ball is going to bounce.

GB is just a thirsty drain whore. It's almost comical the number of ways you can drain - which I suppose is fitting since the movie was THE comedy hit of 1984! When it started airballing and flying onto the sigourney plastic and then the outlane, I really felt like it was just genuinely evil.

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think I qualified 2nd on the game with a 123 million score...that's with people playing for 6 hours for god sakes. Our machine had right flipper hop though, so pretty much through away the super hard task of starting MB anyway..

At the NYC launch party, this was the same story. 8 hours of playing and the best score by anybody was 100 mill.

I played it 4 times I believe, 25, 25, 29, and 76. Fortunately we had three other late model sterns there and I was able to put together enough games to win the thing!

#453 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Nope, that's why it was drainy on ya. It's all about making your shots and ball control.

LOL

Thanks, I'll change my strategy from missing all my shots and not controlling the ball.

#462 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh so you changed the factory spot to a fully closed lane, and then posted a fat score pic?

Impressive.

I might try the "no outlane" strategy before I try the "make shots and control ball" plan.

Then I'll tell everybody to "play better."

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

? I had the post in the lowest spot (which is where it will be for location). The lane was not closed at all.

I'm trying to figure out why you thought none of your guests would have any fun on this game unless you stuffed a bunch of aftermarket rubber in the outlanes?

I'm also trying to figure out how you put 6 billion up on this game. You must be one heck of a pinball player!

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right...are not understanding we don't appreciate you telling us to play better, when we're playing it the way it ships and you've made yours easier?

Huh. And here I was trying to control the ball and make all my shots (which often sends the ball sailing into the outlanes anyway if your shots happen to be slimer, anywhere near a pop bumper, or a drop target) and all i had to do was lower those posts two notches and add some cliffy post rubbers?

I like sanctimonious "play better" bullshit as much as the next guy (I'm a huge fan of STTNG and I think outlane extenders are lame), but I really hate when people post brag scores on altered, non factory games. I'm not impressed.

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Cool beans bro.
I was just trying to impart that the game is not a flail game at all. I had the game a week at stock and managed a few games around 500 million. And those were accomplished by making shots and ball control.
Sorry for sarcastically (with winky face and all) telling folks to play better. It's Saul Goodman.

You were trying to impart that we suck at pinball and that's why you are getting monster scores and we aren't. That's why it was a little disengenious after your reveal that you have altered your game.

Look dude. We all know if you want to play pinball better you "make your shots" and "control the ball."

The point is, I've TRIED it that way. The shallow flippers and wide gap make it difficult to control the ball. It's almost like a 60s EM that way. So it made sense to try to adjust my strategy and make more shots on the fly, rather than getting cute all the time trying to trap the ball. It helped me get my scores up.

If I had the game in my house and I was playing it all the time, I'd manage some 500 million games too. I had a 900 million game on location last week. But my point was that it really just felt lucky. The game is such a chaotic crapshoot it's hard to feel like I really accomplished anything.

But hey, maybe the op will be nice enough to let me close up the lanes, turn off the tilt, and add some rubber, and maybe I'll be able to get some of those awesome 6 billion scores you are racking up.

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you watched the JD live stream a while back you saw a huge score get racked up by Dwight because he knew how to get the huge bonus multipliers!
The scoring is way out of balance right now. Hopefully Dwight tightens that up.

They've already started doing that.

For instance, you won't be getting 90 million on that ESP video mode anymore.

#538 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Something cool I noticed today. If you earn the "hold bonus" award on you last ball, it is NOT a worthless award like you would think. When I drained, it counted off my bonus, then did it all over again!

Don't all games with hold bonus do this on last ball, going back to High Speed?

#551 4 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

You basically just pegged every single pinball game ever made.

Really? Every single pinball game is "frustrating and gets old very fast?"

For you maybe. I've been playing my Stern Stars for months and can't get enough, along with Corvette, AFM, and a bunch of other games. None of the games I own are 'frustrating" and I have 15 of them.

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Man, I love Stars. I finally have a reason to like you

Those nude selfies didn't do it for you, huh?

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well it sure as heck isn't Stars (displays in the wrong spot).

Yeah I was gonna say I looked in the firehouse plastic and it didn't look familiar. Possibly stargazer.

As an aside, both Stargazer and Stars have longer ball times than a stock Ghostbusters.

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

True, but the last 1/4 is the biggest for a lot of people; and that's how it plays in the home.
I have said the game I played has been beyond brutal, but till I get mine and really get some plays on it, whom knows.

That's true. That last quarter ass is for YOU, the reader to supply.

I'll be the first to say I'm not great on first impressions in pinball. I mean, some games like Addams Family I loved from game one, or like Spiderman thought was kind of average on first try, and haven't changed my mind. But I hated Walking Dead the first time I played it and now I think it's great (of course that's also several software revs later).

SO what I'm saying is...get your ass up to the plate, and supply some more ass for all of us. I really like reviews beyond "I paid $6500 for this and I love it!"

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

While I comedically agree with you, as we had a Stars in the finals I can report Stars games where a bit shorter.
IF GB had no ball saves GB would be quicker by a good margin though.

5-ball or 3 ball on that Stars finals match? Was the 100,000 point shot in play?

Stars fuggin' RULES!

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The bigger question is did the center post ball transfer work?

On mine it works sometimes, others it doesn't. I guess it depends on which way the building is leaning that day.

I've kind of given up on it anyway. I prefer an alley pass/shatz - as a matter of fact doing that to build up my bonus has become a huge part of my strategy. Yeah, getting all the stars and lighting spinner and 100,000 is great but much of the time it feels like chasing the dragon. Since I've focused on alley pass, building up my bonus and 2x 3x my consistent scores have gotten much better on Stars.

Problem with Bowen videos is as good as they are, people watch them and think there's only one way to play the game.

#586 4 years ago

So, so far everybody who either already owns one - or apparently had already paid for one and is waiting for the game - has no problems with any of the issues people who have only played it but don't own it have talked about.

Maybe stern is just shipping the weird ones to operators.

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My Premium is paid in full - and clearly I'm skeptical.

Touche.

People keep comparing this to AC/DC and TWD but THose games - even if setups vary - are learnable for a good player. I can play a few games on ANY TWD and start putting up big scores once I learn how it's leaning, where the bounces are etc.

#595 4 years ago

So the local Ghostbusters has started (rarely for now) sending the ball STDM from the left Spooked Librarian scoop.

Why can't Stern figure this out? Kiss, Metallica, and now GB...constant issues with inconsistent shots from their scoops and ejects. Williams managed to pull this off decades ago (well, maybe except Dr Who and Jackbot) and Stern just can't seem to get it right. Incredibly obnoxious losing balls or having to sacrifice a tilt warning or two just to keep a ball in play that has no business being drained.

COME ON MAN!

An ejected ball should go the same place every time, and they certainly should NEVER result in an unsaveable drain.This is just a basic rule.

#600 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Every time? That's never been possible. Most times? Sure. But no game was ever 100% consistent on feeds from scoops or saucers.

AFM, Whirlwind, Addams...the list goes on. Every time. The same spot, or a completely insignificant difference in placement.

A mm or two difference? Maybe. But no comparison to the like of Metallica, KISS, and now GB, where it seems like you never know where the hell the ball is going to go.

#607 4 years ago

Metallica is way better.

But GB is newer. So yeah you always want the new game.

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Levi, please tell us about how lame you thought those mostly dead slings were.

Are you talking about the magnetics?

I didn't check that video and I probably won't, I prefer to play. It's like watching POV rollercoaster videos.

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Some things that looked cool in the video were not fun, some things that seemed meh in the video were much more fun or challenging.
GB Pro is a tough machine with a couple kinks that need to be worked out (balls jumping inlane rails for example), but IMHO will really grow on people the more that they play it. The 9 games I played were an excellent mix of "I HATE this game it can go take a flying leap" and "This RULES, I'm the best player ever!" It has a nice balance of luck and skill with some easy shots and some very difficult shots. A fun game.

I'll confess I'm starting to warm up to it a little. Played an hour yesterday and my scores are starting to get a little better consistently. Still...soooo many cheap, cheap drains.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have the outlanes been tightened on the one you are playing, or is it still factory?

Still factory. Did loosen up the tilt a little. Nothing crazy but more reasonable for this title. I've found one of the safer shots is actually the newton ball, as long as you hit it. If you nail it it will drop safely into the inlanes. With the jackpots being raised with new code that will make multiball a better strategy. Now the jackpots are useless and so is multiball.

#628 4 years ago

Update!:

I still hate it.

The scoleri brothers thing is probably the stupidest thing I've seen in any pinball machine over the past 20 years.

You are FINALLY getting into some type of groove on a game with too many cheap drains?

Let's stick two drop targets - that don't even fall when hit - right in the way of the three most important shots! And, let's make those drop targets award nothing of consequence, while at the same time leading to certain death if you dare to actually shoot at them! Is this a feature people have been clamoring for?

Time for Trudeau to hang em up. It's a LOOOOONG time since creature.

A couple ways this feature could (or could have) possibly been redeemed:

Make them worth something. Since they always pop up during modes - which completely ruins the modes (which are currently the only way to score serious points), because you can't even attempt to play them without certain death - make hitting a drop target kill/award a mode shot. Since the risk is certain death, at least give me some kind of reward.

The other way, which obviously ain't gonna happen, would be to put switches on the backside of the drops, so the ball rolling into their backs knocks them down like the trolls on The Hobbit.

Lastly, take them out, and throw them in the "well that was a really bad idea" circular file like the chicken fight video mode in Family Guy, never to be seen again.

Not sure if I'm making myself clear, but I'm not a big fan of the Scoleri Brothers drop targets.

#647 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The more I play it, the more I like it. And I liked it from the start. Hey, since I haven't seen anybody post a pic of theirs, I figure here's a good a place as any................

I modded mine.

image_(resized).jpg

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Quoted from LOTR_breath:
Something cool I noticed today. If you earn the "hold bonus" award on you last ball, it is NOT a worthless award like you would think. When I drained, it counted off my bonus, then did it all over again!
Don't all games with hold bonus do this on last ball, going back to High Speed?
I can confirm that Game of Thrones does not do this. Just says "bonus held" and the game is over.

That might be a bug.

I seriously don't remember any other games that don't cash in a hold bonus. But really don't see hold bonus much anymore where it was in many 90s games.

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from bb2j3z:

Ouch, kind of a low blow considering John does read Pinside from time to time.

I'm sure John will cope whilst rolling around naked in a tub full of Ghostbusters cash.

I wish John no ill will, am very fond of one of his games and I like Mustang more than most, and I'm sorry if my demanding his forced retirement came off wrong. I meant it in the nicest possible way!

#691 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Mezel mods posted his first attempt in his mod post. He stated that the color was just scrap material.

Man is that ugly. There's gotta be a better idea than that.

Stern should just redesign those guides.

2 weeks later
#758 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Basically the same actually, hitting monger or hitting GB drop target both resulting in deaths.

Monger you can shoot for the side of the monger - avoid the magnet, and it's a fairly safe shot. Took me about two games to figure that out.

the only way to not die during Scoleri brothers is to avoid any of the 4 or so shots that are blocked by the drop targets. You really can't compare the two. Iron Man the Monger can be dealt with via a strategy. Scoleri is just a massive, unwelcome annoyance. It's taken me about 100 games to figure this out.

It's really a horrible feature that shouldn't have made it past whitewood.

1 week later
#788 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I finally got to play the Pro - so I figured I'd add my half-ass review to the half-ass review thread.
Not sure what else I can add that hasn't been said already...but here we go.
F*ck John Trudeau and his giant f*cking flipper gap. There was NO reason to do that with this layout and geometry. Almost any bounce anywhere heads toward the middle. My girlfriend hated it...and she loves Ghostbusters. No one who loves Ghostbusters should have a shitty time playing this game....unfortunately this game seems to be designed for pro tournament players only, and doesn't take into account 99% of people will drain in 2 seconds and walk away forever. The best tournament games also have casual factors that let anyone enjoy...this game fails at that. I wish they would have left the flipper gap stock...and if someone felt their game was too easy, they could add lightning flippers (like BSD, Fish Tales, Dr. Who). Surprisingly, the side drains weren't as horrific as I was anticipating - it's really the fiipper gap that's evil.
I hated that you had to play modes over and over to advance to the next. Since this game has tight shots and little flow, you really need to get control of the ball every time to make your shot, and time runs out quickly. I wish you didn't have to complete a mode to advance to the next. Sure, give me a bonus if I finish a mode - but don't punish me and make me start it over and over. Once a mode times out, the next one should be up to bat. I saw "We got one" like 4 times in one game.
At first we were confused cuz we couldn't start a Multiball. But once I figured out you have to hit the captive ball twice, and that keeps all 3 locks lit for Storage Unit Multiball, it wasn't that hard to start.
There were TONS of airballs...but none that launched into the drain...but any time I hit a target or pinged off something, the ball would fly up, often going on top of the plastic in front of the firehouse. It would always roll off and back into play...but man...I'm not sure what makes this game so airball prone. Maybe just being new..

Glad to see we are in general agreement on this game (though you didn't mention my least favorite "feature," the scoleri bros targets), and I welcome you into the half-ass review thread with open arms. Together, we have all formed a mighty, whole ass.

I think the problem with airballs is symptomatic of a possibly rushed design or release. The game feels extremely unrefined, like maybe it could have used another revision or two to iron out the rough edges, with maybe a shot being removed or something like that. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with this game in the future. Will the theme and presentation, which almost everybody agrees is awesome, be enough to buoy prices on a game that isn't as fun as Mustang and wives/guests/kids and in fact most players will all hate?

#796 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

This brings new meaning to the term "Gap Troll". LOL! Anyway, just added a couple more to my ignore list....

Are you really "ignoring" people who have anything bad to say about Ghostbusters?!

#804 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

To be fair, that's like, every mode-based pin, but most incentivize it by making the sub-modes in the wizard mode worth more when you've actually done work on the modes getting there. I actually didn't know you had to finish every mode on GB - do you have to totally restart, or just pick up where you left off? Imagine having to hit all the GREED targets on TZ before you can move on.

Generally you pick up where you left off. But of course you have to go after slimer to light the mode again, which is always fun (side drains, airballs, pop bumper drains, and non-working slimer mech awaits!)

#824 3 years ago

Yeah, everbody is all "Play better!" until they spend a few dozen games inside the joyless vortex of frustration that is playing Ghostbusters.

You'll see. YOU"LL ALL SEE!

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Yeah I don't get it. I played it a bunch, it's really not that hard and was a blast to play with a center flipper post. Really strange how polar opposite opinions on this game can be, but I guess that's the nature of pinball. Just goes to show don't bother with reviews, go play the game yourself and form your own opinion as everyone sees things differently and in the pinball case, sometimes very differently.

But Ghostbusters doesn't have a "center flipper post."

You must have been playing some other game.

#836 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I assumed he meant that someone made a modification and screwed or drilled a center drain prevention post into the playfield right between the flippers.

Huh. So he probably shouldn't have commented then if that's the case.

#844 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Who sells these "carrot" flippers? Never heard of them until this thread.

These are the long ugly flippers that came on a few late 80s Bally games like Elvira. I don't know if anybody sells new ones. I have a few old sets that I removed from those games as I didn't like them. They are a little bit longer than regular 3 inch Williams-style flippers.

#864 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Aww, I don't think they're ugly, games like EATPM don't look right without them! And yes, you can still buy them, you could stick these on GB:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FB-20-9592-7

Only black? All the sets I have are red. Or yellow. Don't remember. But not black!

#865 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

The issues I found with GB are a the design flaws. I personally find the wide flippers very strange, it just makes the game feel off and I did get a lot of SDTM.

Me too. Exactly.

I have NEVER cared about the "flipper gap" on Creature. Ive never taken notice of it, and for years I thought people were just making it up. The design of the game works fine on CFTBL.

On GB I find the gap to be a constant annoyance, just like all of the other half-baked aspects of the design. This game really needed another playfield revision and for whatever reason - probably the fact that they knew they had em sold already - they just didn't bother with it.

#871 3 years ago

The obvious point of my comment for those in the cheap seats is that it takes precious little to make the game a blast to play. Add a center post and done, then its rocking fun and has tons to do. Game gets too easy over time, then remove the post. I mean jeeze you guys are willing to spend hours working on your machines, drive hours cross country to pick them up, etc, but apparently adding a post between the flippers is a deal breaker and makes a game utter garbage. I'm sorry but you guys sound ridiculous. Hell I've played Jackbot on location sometimes with a center post, sometimes without, it's not unheard of.

Have you tried putting posts in the outlanes as well? Might help make it even more fun and will take precious little time.

#878 3 years ago

You're right, Ghostbusters is utter garbage, *impossibly* difficult, needs a total redo, and the designers are dumb.

Yes, I agree with you here in general and I'm glad you are seeing it my way. But no need to call the designers dumb, this game just needed a little more time in the oven. "Utter garbage" is a bit strong too but you are entitled to your opinion.

Butchering a $6000 game by installing a center post still wouldn't fix the numerous other design flaws in this game that result in too many airballs, side drains, and denials of flow.

#883 3 years ago

Yes, I consider drilling a hole in the playfield and installing a center post to be "butchering" the playfield and so will anybody who wants to buy it later.

#885 3 years ago

People have been bitching about repetitive and unbalanced nature of the code. I generally think it's too early to talk about code. It's certainly nothing sensational at this point but I have bigger fish to fry when bitching about ghostbusters.

#892 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Yes. Make a pinball machine that's better and we'll talk. otherwise this sounds like sour grapes from people that find happiness in being the poop in the punchbowl.
I know there's only so much you can talk about as far as modern pinball is concerned, but do you dudes with your constant negativity think you're pushing the hobby forward? 'Cause you're not. especially with talk like "John Trudeau is a shitty pinball designer". he's better than the naysayers will ever be.

Really?

JT has designed one classic machine and a whole lot of mediocre to bad.

#933 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Just an example: it went from the above comment to OH MY GOD THERE'S LIKE A FOOTBALL FIELD LENGTH BETWEEN THE FLIPPERS
And I'm supposed to believe a lot of time was spent on this machine?

I've probably played 10 hours on this game since I made my original comments. The flipper gap is indeed a drag, especially considering the trademark "Trudeau pop bumper center drain" action.

#938 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Maybe they should just eliminate the flipper gap altogether

No, that would be incredibly stupid. A pinball game needs a gap between the flippers or it will be much too easy.

Which would have been good is if they had tested this game more and implemented changes. It's clear to me that this game was rushed out warts an all. I mean, the center ramp is the main shot of the game! And if you miss this fairly tight shot, you'll hit a standup. Which means there's a huge chance of an air ball which lands on the left plastic and ends up who knows where.

Playing ghostbusters is a very unrefined and frustrating experience.

Also I don't think you know what "death save" means. You can do them on ghostbusters.

#942 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Not if there wasn't a flipper gap. Or at least, it'd be quite difficult.
I mean, I think that's the case. I've only been playing pinball for 40 years now. Don't know if I know all the newfangled slang.

Well, then surely, with your pinball experience dating back to the nixon adminstration, you know that with no flipper gap a death save could still be accomplished by raising the flipper.

The point is moot as I don't think they'll be making machines like that anytime soon.

The real question is, why did stern rush this game out without it being properly tested and refined? I mean , the sales were already there. It's not like they had any strict deadlines to make. Maybe they were just too cheap.

#952 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Man, between that comment and your comment about Mr. Trudeau, you really lack respect for your elders.

I don't know man, maybe Stern should hire you and Kaneda as the heads of QC. Yawl both know everything, nobody else knows a goddamn thing, and you're both the best thing since handiwipes.

I appreciate the compliments and support, but I don't think that would be an efficient use of resources for stern or myself. While I'd love to play test stern games for a living I don't think it will cover my rent.

Stern has plenty of qualified people - including the aforementioned doctor flash - who can play the games and point out issues.

My experience - at least 20 hours of play so far - shows this game really needed more refining. I've never played a brand new game with so many cheap drains and air balls. Reviews from others shows I'm not the only one who has had this experience.

I have plenty of respect for my elders. Doesn't mean I need to agree with them.

#989 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Or think that they should continue making games?
Again, I gotta say - I didn't experience ANY air balls or cheap drains. Maybe you just suck at pinball?

I also respect wayne Gretzky. Doesn't mean I think he has any business going back out on the ice.

I'm not the only one complaining about the air balls and cheap drains. Maybe you are just the only person who is good at pinball?

#1001 3 years ago

You don't have to suck at ghostbusters to not like it.

My best is around 950 million. at this point im usually getting around 60-100 which is good enough to win a lot of games.

But it's in a bank with kiss, walking dead LE, and thrones LE. And after a few games of ghostbusters id rather play any of them. On account of them being more fun.

#1004 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

So Kiss is more compelling than GB to you? Even with the new code, that's one simplistic game.
Maybe that's the thing? You like your games on the simple side? You must love Tron.

I said more fun. Not compelling.

My thing is playing games that are fun, like thrones, walking dead, and to a lesser extant kiss.

What's your thing? Doing the whole "well if you like X GAME then you must LOVE Y GAME!!!" Thing?

That's one if my least favorite pinside gambits. It makes no sense. I was bitching about WOZ once and someone said "oh yeah? You must HATE TZ!!!"

None of that makes any sense. Why do people do that? How is it supposed to win an argument? I do not find this tactic compelling at all!

(Oh yeah, I love Tron)

#1008 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Yeah yeah yeah, I see you're still a choad. I'm glad your feelings healed enough for you to reactivate your account. The PBC missed you dearly!

I guess the shitty things you said in regards to Mr. Trudeau is what raised my Irish. That and the fact that you completely backpedaled on your original review just kinda got me like, "this guy is just trying to rile people up". So, congrats, a job well done. And I'm not at all surprised you don't like WOZ. You may not like the "if you like this you must love that" argument but if the ruby red slipper fits? Rock that shit, playboy.

What on earth are you blathering about?

I'm sorry I'm not a Trudeau fan. I respect that he's had a long and successful career but I can count on one hand the games he's made that I think are genuninely great. And when the best of your recent games is mustang, it's probably time to consider hanging em up.

I've made it INCREDIBLY clear that my opinion often changes between my first impression and logging hours on it. Was I trying to rile up the haters when I originally said walking dead sucked, and now say it's great?

I mean, what do you want from me? If you think I'm just pretending to be annoyed by the half-baked nature of ghostbusters and those awful scoleri targets (the worst "feature" I've seen on a game in a very long time) there's really nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

Also...are you drunk? Be honest.

#1015 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't want anything from you other than maybe a little easing up on the lovable PBC stinker bullshit. all your posts seem finely tuned to come across as you >>> everyone else ever and I'm sorry, that's boring.
Also, no, I'm not drunk, and that's bullshit that you think that a person has to be drunk to have the AUDACITY to disagree with you. I'm not part of the PBC groupthink. I doubt I ever will be. But hey, I promise to buy you a tall boy of swill at ReplayFX if our paths cross.
And RobT, if you want to meet at any spot in LA / SD with Ghostbusters, I'll buy you a beer and we'll discuss the intricacies of busting ghosts. And count how many air balls we get.

It's incredibly early on the west coast for you to be this drunk. I'm worried about you.

What's PBC? The cheap domestic beer you've been knocking back all day?

The funny thing is, I couldn't care less if people have the audacity to disagree with me. It happens. You are the one who seems to get upset by that kind of thing.

#1022 3 years ago

Dear lord, Coors-nelious is having a full-fledged drunken meltdown, and for absolutely NO reason - that's the weirdest thing about it. I haven't insulted you at all - unless worrying about your troubling drinking habits is considered an insult. I'm trying to help here.

Meanwhile you've been calling me names and insulting my pinball ability for like two pages now. Because I think ghostbusters could use a little more time in the oven! It's bizarre.

Listen melty, calm down, I have no idea who you are and I don't know anything about you, except that you REALLY like ghostbusters and get really upset when someone points out it's flaws.

Is that really enough to build a full-blown flame war on?! I don't think so.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one. Also...my pinball highlight was probably finishing #1 at Magfest 2016 - a PAPA circuit!- or maybe winning papa C last year. But let's go with Magfest, for sure the competition was better.

#1048 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't...that is sadly only 1 song on the album.

Eminence front is lame. Don't get the affection for that song.

Five note riff and a song that goes nowhere for a long, long time.

Face dances and Hard are both depressing.

#1058 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Eminence Front is cool? So you ARE an accountant!

rd

The idea of these guys downing a few lukewarm Coors, loosening their ties, and rocking out to It's Hard certainly brings me a chuckle.

Guys, there was a GREAT band in the 60s and 70s called the Who. You should really check that stuff out.

1 week later
#1070 3 years ago

Pointless comment on 2-month old thread much?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Hampton Roads, VA
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Providence, RI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside