image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 22.
#401 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

guess you can never buy any Trudeau. As it's been stated dozens of times all his games have this. BOP, Creech, Congo, JD, mustang, wwe, etc.

I've said it before, but design must compliment rules. BOP has very simple rules...the tougher design & flipper gap balance that out. Congo also has relatively simple rules...it's all about collecting the diamonds, it really doesn't have modes. That being said, Congo has a VERY generous ballsave...it keeps running even after it's saved. So - if a newb is draining a lot right off the bat, they'll get like 4 or 5 ball saves. Ghostbusters, like most modern games, has TONS of content - and that's why people are bumping on the design decisions to make it a super tough layout. Hopefully, like Congo, it will have software settings for generous ball save if the operator wants to give newbs a fighting chance. I think a shitload of extra ball save, like Congo, on ball 1 - would make people feel a little more comfortable.

#402 7 years ago

I heard ghostbusters has a pretty long ball save to but I could be wrong.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I heard ghostbusters has a pretty long ball save to but I could be wrong.

it can be what ever you set it too , 0 seconds or 30 seconds

#404 7 years ago

better yet, why not install the "carrot" flippers? Those are the opposite of the lightning flippers. instead of being 1/8" shorter, they are 1/8" longer. Also the shots change with them as well.

#405 7 years ago

Ive changed games with regular flippers to banana flippers! Damn Fun change!
Maybe 1 Carrot and 1 Banana Mixed?

#406 7 years ago

Play it as it was meant to be played, I like the challange, by changing flippers you want to make game easier for you...ha,ha no fun, no challange, don't change a thing .and who doesnt like thigh gap, love it...just happy to be there.lol

#407 7 years ago

From what I've seen the flipper gap is less of an issue than the outlanes

#408 7 years ago
Quoted from jroakland:

and who doesnt like thigh gap, love it...just happy to be there.lol

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

To me its kinda like a Thigh Gap......Im just happy to be there to play!

You guys are getting your jokes from the same place I see?

#409 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

"carrot" flippers? Those are the opposite of the lightning flippers. instead of being 1/8" shorter, they are 1/8" longer.

Woah, is that true? I just sold a Bugs Bunny and I never once noticed.

Then again, I don't really notice the gap on the Congo at my house either.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

From what I've seen the flipper gap is less of an issue than the outlanes

100 percent true.

But I suspect some of the players here are so bad they won't even understand why they are sucking.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've said it before, but design must compliment rules. BOP has very simple rules...the tougher design & flipper gap balance that out. Congo also has relatively simple rules...it's all about collecting the diamonds, it really doesn't have modes. That being said, Congo has a VERY generous ballsave...it keeps running even after it's saved. So - if a newb is draining a lot right off the bat, they'll get like 4 or 5 ball saves. Ghostbusters, like most modern games, has TONS of content - and that's why people are bumping on the design decisions to make it a super tough layout. Hopefully, like Congo, it will have software settings for generous ball save if the operator wants to give newbs a fighting chance. I think a shitload of extra ball save, like Congo, on ball 1 - would make people feel a little more comfortable.

Trudea's best game - by far - is creature. It not only has a magnificent design, it's got a deceptively deep ruleset that compliments it, offering many different ways to score while moving important shots all across the playfield.

BOP is an example of shallow, weak software that does the layout no favors.

#412 7 years ago

GB already has a generous ball saver. Default is 9 seconds. Also, there is a short ball saver whenever the ball is kicked from the right saucer.

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You guys are getting your jokes from the same place I see?

Personal request!

#414 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Trudea's best game - by far - is creature. It not only has a magnificent design, it's got a deceptively deep ruleset that compliments it, offering many different ways to score while moving important shots all across the playfield.

I agree that Creature is a great game, but personally I think it's best suited for location play. In the home collection, going for film and super jackpots over and over again is super repetitive. I got burnt out on it quick. I'm hoping GB has a neat layout and multiple dimensions to the game to keep me interested - and that's something certainty that can be made or broken by the code.

#415 7 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I agree that Creature is a great game, but personally I think it's best suited for location play. In the home collection, going for film and super jackpots over and over again is super repetitive. I got burnt out on it quick. I'm hoping GB has a neat layout and multiple dimensions to the game to keep me interested - and that's something certainty that can be made or broken by the code.

No way bro.

Move your car

The various film modes

There's always ways to pick up points In that game besides multiball

#416 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Interesting - BOP is one of my favorite games of all time, and I fucking hate Creature. *shrug*

In any case, both are early 90's games and radically different than what GB looks to accomplish with its ruleset.

#417 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Interesting - BOP is one of my favorite games of all time, and I fucking hate Creature. *shrug*
In any case, both are early 90's games and radically different than what GB looks to accomplish with its ruleset.

You must be a big fan of shooting the left ramp!

#418 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No way bro.
Move your car
The various film modes
There's always ways to pick up points In that game besides multiball

If you are competing against other people, picking off some points for move your car or film modes (if you really call them that) is fine... but when you can score 500+ million from a jackpot/super, why wouldn't you keep going for FILM. It was one thing that made me get rid of creature recently in search of something that offers more diverse gameplay. Twilght Zones does that for me, as well as AFM. With creature, I just got burnt out getting into a repetitive rhythm continuing to go for FILM and super jackpots over and over again. Just my opinion - feel free to consider it wrong

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You must be a big fan of shooting the left ramp!

I'm a fan of the whole package. I enjoy the experience...not every game has to be tournament style. I respect and enjoy the overall concept that the entire playfield is a character, and I think it's cool how it transforms...the light shows and music are spectacular. Plus, I have 2.0 installed, so I have 2 games in 1....and 2.0 isn't a one-ramp game.

#420 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

GB already has a generous ball saver. Default is 9 seconds. Also, there is a short ball saver whenever the ball is kicked from the right saucer.

Thank god for that that ball saver on the saucer, i normally would clench my butthole a little bit on that shot coming back at me. The only thing that makes me nervous now is when the ball gets bouncing crazy between the slings, or when it drops out of the left side of the pop bumpers. i think i have a pretty good feeling for everything else now that ive had a few days to get used to it.

#421 7 years ago

BoP is incredible. It's not all about the left ramp, honestly. If you just hammer the left ramp, it's billions or bust, and that billions is a whole different high score board anyway. If you want a high score that doesn't put you in the billionaire club, there are more strategies than just hitting the left ramp. And if you set BoP up properly, it's a fast and brutally difficult game. I've never grown tired of mine, and I've had it for years. Solid game.

#422 7 years ago

The flipper gap worries me less than the balls hopping over the outlanes, but hopefully with time that'll become less of an issue.

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from BangBackula:

Woah, is that true? I just sold a Bugs Bunny and I never once noticed.
Then again, I don't really notice the gap on the Congo at my house either.

yup it's true. and black flipper bats are short like lightning flippers.

#424 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Thank god for that that ball saver on the saucer, i normally would clench my butthole a little bit.

#425 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Thank god for that that ball saver on the saucer, i normally would clench my butthole a little bit on that shot coming back at me.

ghostbusters_(resized).jpgghostbusters_(resized).jpg

#426 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive changed games with regular flippers to banana flippers! Damn Fun change!
Maybe 1 Carrot and 1 Banana Mixed?

Dinner.

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

At the same time you could put a rubber band across the outlanes to eliminate them, install a large star post between the longer flipper bat to completly eliminate center drains, Jack up the front legs to eliminate the playfeild angle and go out and buy hundreds of "participant" trophys to give to everyone who plays so everybody can be a whiner... I mean winner. .
Might as well pick up a bsd or Dr who and replace the lightning flippers with regular ones while your at it.

I don't have a issue with the gap, and like the trudeau gap, not understanding your issue with my suggestion to someone else

#428 7 years ago

Got my game dialed for location play. Dropped right Outlane, adjusted slimey, fixed stupid drop target bounce, pulled flippers up, adjusted multiball timer and increased ball save and the game is sweet. This game needs a sh$t load of tuning from the box otherwise it plays way too crazy.

#430 7 years ago

"Mind the Warg"....

#431 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Got my game dialed for location play. Dropped right Outlane, adjusted slimey, fixed stupid drop target bounce, pulled flippers up, adjusted multiball timer and increased ball save and the game is sweet. This game needs a sh$t load of tuning from the box otherwise it plays way too crazy.

British Columbia here I come!

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I feel like Sisyphus when I play Creech.

#433 7 years ago
Quoted from jay:

I feel like Sisyphus when I play

Keep your hands off my Sisyphus! Oh, wait...

#434 7 years ago

4 hours 20 minutes of simultaneous GB action from our Launch Party in B'ham.

#t=12

#435 7 years ago

OK, I'd like to add about 25% more ass to this review...and it's not gonna be pretty.

I have some grievances I'd like to air.

Put a bunch more time on this game, at a launch tournament yesterday and about an hour today.

This game - simply put - is frustrating, sometimes maddening, and not a whole lot of fun.

Most of it has to do with the layout, which seems like it was designed by a masochist for his own pleasure. The double inlanes - unlike what you would see in a lawlor game - seem designed to pitch the ball out. SLimer often results in totally random outlane drains you that happen suddenly and you have no hope of saving. The drop targets...Dear lord, what is the point of these things? These scoleri targets pop up - blocking the two most important shots in the game. Shooting them often means certain death. Or total brick. Followed by certain death. They seem to be there for only one reason - to annoy you. If you aren't already annoyed by the unncecesarilly large center gap, the ridiculous outlanes, or the random nature of the game. You don't even seem to get anything worthwhile when you shoot them and somehow manage to keep the ball in play. How about a multiball for nailing 4 of them or something? How about picking off mode shots. How about ANYTHING that seems to justify the existence of this obnoxious feature?

The left ramp shot has it's own peculiarities. If you miss the shot, there's a good chance the ball will ricochet off the standups, fly into the air, and land on the Sigourney plastic on the lower left, where it will then either roll back into play, or sail into the left outlane. Well, since this is Ghostbusters, it's always gonna sail into the outlane, cause that's what this game does.

The repetitive nature of the modes, which people were saying was gonna be an issue earlier, and I pushed aside as petty whining, has also started to manifest itself. And this brings you to the software issues. Not only do you get really sick of playing these modes (which are all the same) over and over again, you get sick of the "skill shot." The only way to play this game with any kind of consistency is to short plunge in front of Stay Puft, have the ball roll down without validating the playfield, and then try to hit whatever skill shot you picked. If you drain, you'll get a chance to do it again. So every ball starts with often multiple attempts to get the skill shot, which rewards you with often crazy unbalanced scores and the chance to (yay!!!!) play one the modes that are quickly wearing out their welcome. If you miss the skill shot, you get to start slimer, which is basically the only thing lit. Or you can just smash a brick through the glass and place the ball into either outlane or the huge flipper gap, cause that's what's gonna happen anyway once you start slimer.

Multiball is still pretty much an afterthought. In the unlikely event you start it, your multiball likely will be brutal and short. And since most of the points seem to come from modes and skill shots, it doesn't really matter anyway.

I don't know man. It just doesn't seem very fun at this point. Turn off the tilt, and buy whatever aftermarket stuff the mod gang comes up with to make this thing somewhat playable and we might be on to something. But right now it's just very frustrating and gets old fast. Even when I manage to have a good game, there's not much of a sense of accomplishment. I just feel like I got lucky.

#437 7 years ago

Thanks for the review. I've yet to play it but it does sound like a game that can go either way for me.

I've yet to play it, but maybe the theme (great) art (great) and featured (great) have clouded the collective rating of this pin, I've heard people calling it the best Stern ever or even Sterns TAF pin.

#438 7 years ago

I found the game to be far more exciting than frustrating. There's a real rush element to it when you put together a few shots in a row and avoid losing control of the ball.

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I found the game to be far more exciting than frustrating. There's a real rush element to it when you put together a few shots in a row and avoid losing control of the ball.

It's certainly a shoot on the fly game.

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK, I'd like to add about 25% more ass to this review...and it's not gonna be pretty.
Put a bunch more time on this game, at a launch tournament yesterday and about an hour today.
This game - simply put - is frustrating, sometimes maddening, and not a whole lot of fun.
Most of it has to do with the layout, which seems like it was designed by a masochist for his own pleasure. The double inlanes - unlike what you would see in a lawlor game - seem designed to pitch the ball out. SLimer often results in totally random outlane drains you that happen suddenly and you have no hope of saving. The drop targets...Dear lord, what is the point of these things? These scoleri targets pop up - blocking the two most important shots in the game. Shooting them often means certain death. Or total brick. Followed by certain death. They seem to be there for only one reason - to annoy you. If you aren't already annoyed by the unncecesarilly large center gap, the ridiculous outlanes, or the random nature of the game. You don't even seem to get anything worthwhile when you shoot them and somehow manage to keep the ball in play. How about a multiball for nailing 4 of them or something? How about picking off mode shots. How about ANYTHING that seems to justify the existence of this obnoxious feature?
The left ramp shot has it's own peculiarities. If you miss the shot, there's a good chance the ball will ricochet off the standups, fly into the air, and land on the Sigourney plastic on the lower left, where it will then either roll back into play, or sail into the left outlane. Well, since this is Ghostbusters, it's always gonna sail into the outlane, cause that's what this game does.
The repetitive nature of the modes, which people were saying was gonna be an issue earlier, and I pushed aside as petty whining, has also started to manifest itself. And this brings you to the software issues. Not only do you get really sick of playing these modes (which are all the same) over and over again, you get sick of the "skill shot." The only way to play this game with any kind of consistency is to short plunge in front of Stay Puft, have the ball roll down without validating the playfield, and then try to hit whatever skill shot you picked. If you drain, you'll get a chance to do it again. So every ball starts with often multiple attempts to get the skill shot, which rewards you with often crazy unbalanced scores and the chance to (yay!!!!) play one the modes that are quickly wearing out their welcome. If you miss the skill shot, you get to start slimer, which is basically the only thing lit. Or you can just smash a brick through the glass and place the ball into either outlane or the huge flipper gap, cause that's what's gonna happen anyway once you start slimer.
Multiball is still pretty much an afterthought. In the unlikely event you start it, your multiball likely will be brutal and short. And since most of the points seem to come from modes and skill shots, it doesn't really matter anyway.
I don't know man. It just doesn't seem very fun at this point. Turn off the tilt, and buy whatever aftermarket stuff the mod gang comes up with to make this thing somewhat playable and we might be on to something. But right now it's just very frustrating and gets old fast. Even when I manage to have a good game, there's not much of a sense of accomplishment. I just feel like I got lucky.

Thanks for your review. I feel for people buying for their homes, we get the opportunity to tweak it as much as we can that it is fun. On location, I doubt I would play more then $5 worth because it is a drainer.

I hated TWD on location.

I love TWD at my house because I dialed it in for home use and where the outlanes aren't drains.

Can you compare to your experiences with how this game plays as far as drains and frustrations with a stock configured TWD? If it is similar to that, I am happy to hear it is frustrating then. If it is worse, well, then that's a problem. I think TWD has that one more game feel because its very hard.. but I cannot stand cheap drains like the issue with the ball going over the guides.. so that will need to be addressed. The ghost target shot that results in SDTM's seems impossible to fix unless using a post save, which I will not do.. so maybe only hit it with the right flipper vs left... ill figure something out I hope.

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Can you compare to your experiences with how this game plays as far as drains and frustrations with a stock configured TWD?

Sure...it's much, much worse. TWDs are all over the map depending on which way they are leaning, how the tilt is, how the magnets behave etc. But after a few games you can get the hang of it and work with it by nudging out of the pops or anticipating how the ball is going to bounce.

GB is just a thirsty drain whore. It's almost comical the number of ways you can drain - which I suppose is fitting since the movie was THE comedy hit of 1984! When it started airballing and flying onto the sigourney plastic and then the outlane, I really felt like it was just genuinely evil.

#442 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

GB is just a thirsty drain whore.

It really is...like at a crazy level. Many times when the ball is heading for the outlane, I'd bump the machine forward so the last wire guide pushed the ball up and to the left. The ball then changes directions, in mid air mind you, from left to right and goes back down the outlane...it's actually pretty impressive.

I think I qualified 2nd on the game with a 123 million score...that's with people playing for 6 hours for god sakes. Our machine had right flipper hop though, so pretty much through away the super hard task of starting MB anyway.
I agree the MB is super unsatisfying in every way. Looking forward to spend a lot more time on it, or I'm not looking forward to it; too early to tell yet.

The drop targets also didn't drop quite consistantly, making them even more annoying than you'd think. But I actually do think the point of them is to block the main shots & annoy you.

Quoted from rai:

I've heard people calling it the best Stern ever or even Sterns TAF pin.

People play all sorts stupid shit on here.

#443 7 years ago

Game is great, and most people that have played it (including myself) are giving it very high grades.

Even great games have a few negative Nancy's that complain about them.

#444 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think I qualified 2nd on the game with a 123 million score...that's with people playing for 6 hours for god sakes. Our machine had right flipper hop though, so pretty much through away the super hard task of starting MB anyway..

At the NYC launch party, this was the same story. 8 hours of playing and the best score by anybody was 100 mill.

I played it 4 times I believe, 25, 25, 29, and 76. Fortunately we had three other late model sterns there and I was able to put together enough games to win the thing!

#445 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is why I'm spending only $8K on this game and NOT A PENNY MORE.

#446 7 years ago

Yup, nothing but low scores and frustration, no fun at all.

20160430_105521_(resized).jpg20160430_105521_(resized).jpg

#447 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At the NYC launch party, this was the same story. 8 hours of playing and the best score by anybody was 100 mill.
I played it 4 times I believe, 25, 25, 29, and 76. Fortunately we had three other late model sterns there and I was able to put together enough games to win the thing!

Nice, I finished 2nd...a brutal game of Stern Stars didn't help. But of course the big culprit was GB itself...I think my score on final game was under 5 million. That was an extra ordinary 2.5 house balls.

I can say this much, I've NEVER used a ball save more on a game in my life. Can you check that in audits? I'd like to see those stats...I would guess it was used on 60+% of balls.

EDIT: I think highest qualifying score was 1.1 bil

#448 7 years ago

In stock form, I feel that GB pro is brutal. Its classic Trudeau, but with a tight tilt, extremely challenging.

I am looking forward to playing the LE/Premium.

#449 7 years ago

Here's a quick'n dirty photoshop - what if Stern did this from the factory? Shorten the outlane guide, and put a post w/ rubber at the end. Could this solve the drain issues?

Drain_Fix_(resized).jpgDrain_Fix_(resized).jpg

#450 7 years ago

I think so.
Could someone who has the game slice a post rubber and see if it hold on the end of the guide, and doesnt interfere?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 103.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.