image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 22.
#251 8 years ago

Here's a question: are we back to Stern's somewhat annoying "buzz-o-matic" single coil flippers? Or does this have the psuedo-WMS
dual coil "no-buzz" setup (please say it's this)

#252 8 years ago

Stern introduced the no-buzz flippers on GOT. I have no idea if they were single or dual.

Some people have said all SPIKE's had dual, but GOT was the only one advertised this way.

Anyone have concrete info on this?

#253 8 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I don't see how any of those would prevent a setting that allows for randomizing the modes within a tier. I don't care about points, modes with varying difficulty are great and having one of the modes be a multiball is fine too (similar to Quick Multiball as a mode in TAF). Those trade-offs are totally worth it vs the Roadshow-like linear progression mode grind.
You would always have the option of setting the option back to Linear Progression for tournaments if you needed to.

This actually makes total sense and is comparable to a great game - LOTR.

The modes in LOTR can be played in whatever order you want / plan as you select them (the selected mode is changed with each flipper left or right, and the mode is selected by hitting the center ring shot when the mode start is lit). But the modes are progressively harder as well. FOTR modes are easy, TTT are tougher, and ROTK are even tougher. Escape the Ringwraiths is very easy (4 shots). And kill the witchking can be very tricky (combos). But with the selectability, you can strategize by bringing the right mode into a multiball.

#254 8 years ago

On the subject of flippers, I've noticed on the machine I have played that the right flipper has a little give to it. And I think I saw the same thing in a DeadFlip stream. If I hold the right flipper up when the left scoop throws a ball at it, the force of the bal will move it by about a centimeter.

Not sure if this is a common thing with a newer model of flipper or coil, just giving my experience.

Found the vid. A couple of occurances at 11:08, 17:00 and 24:24. May be more.
https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip/v/62015684

#255 8 years ago

On the ghostbusters I played in NYC, the right flipper has been very problematic, and it has to do with the eos switch.

The flipper was dying - no power flips. Only hold. Standard misadjusted eos switch behavior from the old days.

I have adjusted this switch several times, and it will work and then start getting iffy again. It's a very clear, simple adjustment.

My guess is a defective eos switch. The op has adjusted it again (instead of replacing it as I suggested) and we will see what happens. If it continues to malfunction well replace the switch.

Is this a new flipper system?

#256 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Stern introduced the no-buzz flippers on GOT. I have no idea if they were single or dual.
Some people have said all SPIKE's had dual, but GOT was the only one advertised this way.
Anyone have concrete info on this?

Ghostbusters flipper coils. 2 leads only

1461625547536-1474739321_(resized).jpg1461625547536-1474739321_(resized).jpg

1461625633427-1682652304_(resized).jpg1461625633427-1682652304_(resized).jpg

#257 8 years ago

Right so same system basically.

I'm wondering if they got some bad eos switches in. Sounds like our game has a similar issue as someone else stated.

#258 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't find those gaps anywhere near GB. Wonder if that's just perception though?

I'll have to measure when mine shows up as I have a congo, JD and Mustang. ghostbusters might just look bigger as the tip of the flippers are adjusted lower from the factory. to measure the true gap you have to measure the flipper half way up when the bats are parallel.

#259 8 years ago

I'll definitely be needing to install larger posts in the outlanes for this game- any suggestions on which ones will fit?

#260 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Aren't the fonts the same exact font used on the original ghostbusters sign that was hung over the firehouse entrance in the early days of their business?

image_(resized).png

No, that would be worse than the comic artist pen font that was used on the inserts.

The problem is that it's the same font on all of the inserts, just typed out and slapped on. Illustrators tend to have a weakness for typography so I don't hold it against ZY. It's no worse than AFM's inserts, for example. But it could have been amazing like Scared Stiff.

#261 8 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I'll have to measure when mine shows up as I have a congo, JD and Mustang. ghostbusters might just look bigger as the tip of the flippers are adjusted lower from the factory.

Yeah I've never once looked at Congo and thought the gap was that big...I walked up to this thing and it sort of blew me away. Again...I could just be imagining it. Also, I haven't been keeping up a ton but did people mention the flippers are set lower? That would for sure make a diff'rence.

#262 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'll definitely be needing to install larger posts in the outlanes for this game- any suggestions on which ones will fit?

"Play better!"

- Steve Ritchie

#263 8 years ago

Does anyone think this post will work in place of the factory outlane post?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8044-13

If I keep it the way it is now, my wife and kids will play it for 5 mins and walk away from it, guaranteed. Until I adjusted TWD, no one wanted to even mess with it. Im going to need to dial it back some so casual players can see more of the game.

#264 8 years ago

Same.

IMG_20160425_203403109_(resized).jpgIMG_20160425_203403109_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160425_203709_(resized).jpgIMG_20160425_203709_(resized).jpg

#265 8 years ago

Would it help to slice a mini post rubber, and place on wire by the far outlanes?

#266 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Would it help to slice a mini post rubber, and place on wire by the far outlanes?

Only problem is that balls may get stuck there though

#267 8 years ago

Recently played GB Pro... HOLY crap is it a drain game. Even with clean shots, the ball will pop and drain. Many times it would fly half way across the playfield right over everything and drain. Flippers would randomly get stuck in the upright position.

But looks great though!

its-not-the-warmest-coat-but-it-looks-great-looks-like-he-froze-to-death-he-looks-great-though-yeah_(resized).jpgits-not-the-warmest-coat-but-it-looks-great-looks-like-he-froze-to-death-he-looks-great-though-yeah_(resized).jpg

#268 8 years ago

Funny how every new game that comes out is a drain monster... People put in $2.00 and expect the games to last an hour. C'mon guys invest some money and figure out the shots instead of blaming the game for "cheap drains"

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Funny how every new game that comes out is a drain monster... People put in $2.00 and expect the games to last an hour. C'mon guys invest some money and figure out the shots instead of blaming the game for "cheap drains"

Yeah, that's pretty common of a complaint to have early. With Kiss, I think it was warranted with Gene spitting balls SDTM all the dang time though.

#270 8 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Spent 4+ hours playing it at $1 a game. That is enough to know it is a drain monster, but I never said I didn't like it. Still considering buying one, just on the fence.

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Ghostbusters flipper coils. 2 leads only

1461625547536-1474739321_(resized).jpg1461625633427-1682652304_(resized).jpg

Regular single wound coils. Not sure why they made such a big deal out of the "no Buzz" dual wound coils on Spike, and then dropped them. GOT was the first game I saw without the dual wound coils. Kiss & WWE both had them.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thankfully the game is loaded with a lot of original tracks made just for the game Of course the GB theme would be used as the main track.

Quoted from PismoArcade:

Didn't know the game had original music....Thanks, Panzer.

Quoted from marcos:

Lots of it!
-Mark

Quoted from Mike_J:

Beats the heck out of having to listen to AC/DC or Metallica on my Premium.
Thanks for the review!

Quoted from Elicash:

Am I crazy that I kinda love that song?
Every time I hear it I feel like I am 12 years old again. I guess anything gets old though.

For everyone saying its "Original music" I guess you can call it an "Orignal song" just a short instrumental loop performed by someone else. Only thing I hear is a similar beat/ tune and not the music from the movie. At least these other music pins that were brought up earlier in this thread are the actual songs performed by the band and not an instrumental tribute.

I haven't played the game yet and it looks amazing but just thought this small part of it needed some clarification.

#273 8 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

For everyone saying its "Orignal music" I'm not 100% here as I didn't google it first but Yes it's the "Orignal song" just performed by someone else. Go listed to the Soundtrack or try to remember it in your head. Only thing I hear is a similar beat/ tune and not the music.
For me I'd be looking at getting one of those pin sound systems to load up with music from the Orignal motion picture soundtrack and a few other re-mix's.

Original = custom to the game.

You don't need a pin sound system, you can just hack the rom if you want different sound.

#274 8 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

For everyone saying its "Original music" I guess you can call it an "Orignal song" just a short instrumental loop performed by someone else. Only thing I hear is a similar beat/ tune and not the music from the movie. At least these other music pins that were brought up earlier in this thread are the actual songs performed by the band and not an instrumental tribute.

I haven't played the game yet and it looks amazing but just thought this small part of it needed some clarification.

The music from the movie is definitely in there, but there's a lot of original musical tracks as well. The game offers a good mix of sampled sounds, recreated tracks, and original compositions.

#275 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Same.

IMG_20160425_203403109_(resized).jpgIMG_20160425_203709_(resized).jpg

Wow...very similar

#276 8 years ago

I actually prefer more "custom" sounds that were meant for a pinball machine not a movie

#277 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yeah, that's pretty common of a complaint to have early. With Kiss, I think it was warranted with Gene spitting balls SDTM all the dang time though.

Watch them play in this video, lots of quick drains

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I actually prefer more "custom" sounds that were meant for a pinball machine not a movie

Except for Addams Family which seemed to be written with pinball in mind. What a crazy stroke of luck on that one.

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Except for Addams Family which seemed to be written with pinball in mind. What a crazy stroke of luck on that one.

cat argue that Were all of those songs straight from the movie?

#280 8 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

My first 5 or 10 games were like that ... then I started getting used to the table and putting up some decent scores. You quickly learn where not to shoot the ball if it can be helped. Missed shots get punished. Side to side action is to be avoided. Nudge the game ... a lot.

The right ramp shot on the pro is very tight. And the shots to the captive balls on the left are tough to recover from.

The ghost stand up is like palantir on lotr ... dont hit it straight on.

And the two 'blue nubs of death' that protect the left ramp earn their moniker.

This is a fantastic Pro. *tosses bat*

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

cat argue that Were all of those songs straight from the movie?

I think he meant the callouts. Most are lifted from the movie, but work perfectly in the game. Iron Man is like that too. If you drain during Monger, sometimes you get "Your services are no longer required" ...or if you drain your Multiball without doing squat, you get a classic Jeff Bridges "That, uh....that went well".

GB is a mix of movie (Ray Parker JR song, character call outs and some sound fx) & original (the rest of the music & fx, new Ernie Hudson callouts, and DMd animation)

#282 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

My first 5 or 10 games were like that ... then I started getting used to the table and putting up some decent scores. You quickly learn where not to shoot the ball if it can be helped. Missed shots get punished. Side to side action is to be avoided. Nudge the game ... a lot.

Yep that's the way they all are usually. I remember when GOT came out and it seemed balls bounced off the gold targets and right out all the time. Now games are very long.

#283 8 years ago

» YouTube video

John admits himself that he isn't a good player. My first few games on any pin are usually going to be a little brutal until the shots are learned.... Not saying it isn't hard, but this video isn't a great example.

#284 8 years ago

» YouTube video

Both players seem to be mostly hitting the ball on the fly each time. That ain't gonna work on a lot of games.

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

The right ramp shot on the pro is very tight. And the shots to the captive balls on the left are tough to recover from.
The ghost stand up is like palantir on lotr ... dont hit it straight on.
And the two 'blue nubs of death' that protect the left ramp earn their moniker.
This is a fantastic Pro. *tosses bat*

Same here with the pro at the Ohio Show. I wasn't concentrating on where the ball was the first few games as I was gawking at the playfield while playing.

You learn quick where to be careful on this pin!

#286 8 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Is Vigo the Carpathian in the game?

Ghostbusters 2 wasn't a very good movie.

Which made it strange to me that people were always clamoring for ghostbusters 3.

#287 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Which made it strange to me that people were always clamoring for ghostbusters 3.

...to make up for it!

...but yeah, it was terrible. First one was just that lightning in a bottle - very hard to recreate it. The tone and energy of the 2nd movie was just completely off. I think the same thing happened with MIB1 & 2. 3 was OK...maybe GB 3 would have been OK lol

#288 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ghostbusters 2 wasn't a very good movie. Which made it strange to me that people were always clamoring for ghostbusters 3.

I'd say they were still jonesing for a good sequel.... Best case, GB3 delivers. Worst case, GB3 sucks and the studio wastes money.. fans really are no worse off though, except for shattered expectations (again)

#289 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Watch out for the fanboys..I was very surprised how many there are for #2

#290 8 years ago

» YouTube video

The operator also mentioned how he plans to move the lanes in. Its possible that for Ghostbusters the best default lane position is the lowest versus the standard middle position.

#291 8 years ago

Do we consider the new "chick" GB to be GB3?? I think it looks pretty good, but at least in the preview they try a little too hard to be funny IMHO.

#292 8 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

I much rather have original pinball vibe music for Ghostbusters then the real tracks used in the film. For games like ACDC, Metallica and KISS of course the actual tracks are the way to go. However, for all other games original music based off the real songs with a pinball twist / vibe put on them is the way to go in my opinion.

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Do we consider the new "chick" GB to be GB3?? I think it looks pretty good, but at least in the preview they try a little too hard to be funny IMHO.

No, it's a hard reboot. Has nothing to do with the original continuity.

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Do we consider the new "chick" GB to be GB3??

Either a spinoff or a reboot...don't know without seeing it first.

#295 8 years ago

Finally got a chance to play GB's and it took a few games before I started to acheive decent ball times and scores, fast and lots to shoot for, very happy Stern didn't have its in house redneck do any custom call outs, so far a great looking and playing pin. Ghostbusters 2 was great.

#296 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No, it's a hard reboot. Has nothing to do with the original continuity.

Not sure about that, in the preview it says 30 years ago NY was saved by GB, or something to that effect. Seems like it may be 30 years in the future?

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Not sure about that, in the preview it says 30 years ago NY was saved by GB, or something to that effect. Seems like it may be 30 years in the future?

Hmmm ok reading the plot seems you are correct, total reboot. No reference to old GB, trailer is misleading. Anyhow my thoughts still stand, humor seems forced

#298 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Disingenuous marketting. Trying to make you nostalgic for the original even though the new one has nothing to do with it. They're trying to have it both ways, which never works with reboots. Have the courage to be your own thing if that's the creative choice you've made.

#299 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...to make up for it!
...but yeah, it was terrible. First one was just that lightning in a bottle - very hard to recreate it. The tone and energy of the 2nd movie was just completely off. I think the same thing happened with MIB1 & 2. 3 was OK...maybe GB 3 would have been OK lol

Intersting you compare it to MIB 1/2. Both were very fun special effects comedies. Maybe you just get one shot at that before the charm is gone.

I saw bill Murray on letterman or something a couple years after GB2. He said they had so much fun making the first one they figured they'd do it again. And they had fun, but the movie sucked. Sorry.

#300 8 years ago

Anyone want to take a wild guess at how many pro play fields went out with the spelling error on Negative Reinforcement? is there a way to tell from serial numbers what number in a batch a particular machine was in? I have heard of other nearby folks who got their games the same time as me, but didn't have the error.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 103.00
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.