image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 22.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You might want to change your mind about him. When it comes to pinball there is no one who's opinion I respect more. Even when Rarehero and I disagree his thoughts still carry weight with me.

Who ya gonna gonna call!? Kim!

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

...no one who's opinion...

Who's that, now? Whose opinion?

Hoo[s]! I'm worn out...

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from boagman:

Who's that, now? Whose opinion?
Hoo[s]! I'm worn out...

My vodka's opinion. Deal with it.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm not saying the song should be eliminated. I'm just hoping its usage will be minimized.

There are over 30 tunes in the game including 3 versions of the main play, one for each ball.

- Dwight

#105 7 years ago

Thanks!.... Dwight-ful to hear from you.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

There are over 30 tunes in the game including 3 versions of the main play, one for each ball.
- Dwight

Sweet sounds great can't wait to give it a play thanks for the info Dwight.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

- Dwight

BOOM!!!!!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

You might want to change your mind about him. When it comes to pinball there is no one who's opinion I respect more. Even when Rarehero and I disagree his thoughts still carry weight with me.

No thanks. I'm happy as is now. Plenty of opinions I respect and people i like here.

It's not like it hasn't taken years to get to this point.

#109 7 years ago

I finally got a chance to play GB at my buddy's house tonight. The game looks greats and for a Pro, the playfield is packed with stuff. My only complaint is the flippers seem spaced further apart than other games. There really should have been a post installed at the drain so you might get a save once in awhile. Glad I didn't buy this before playing.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Glad I didn't buy this before playing.

Its so easy to get all caught up in the hype.. Its always best to play a game before buying.

#111 7 years ago

Just watched Johns arcade review on GB and it seems to drain too easily. Possibly that was skill level inflicted some, but it does look brutal in most videos I've seen.

#112 7 years ago

What's brutal in your opinions? Like, if my game is 3-5 minutes on a game I'm new to, I don't consider it brutal. Especially with the game lighting ball save with the saucer kickout. None of my drains in the 12+ games felt cheap.

#113 7 years ago

Played several games on it today, had most of the same experiences; pop ups send balls flying without registering, slimer works half the time, lots of fly-balls over the slings, cradling will take some practice etc etc

One other thing that stood out to me was some inconsistencies in the animations. The contrast between 2D animations and 3D renders that were flattened was pretty stark. One that stood out the most was the extra ball screen. A 3D slimer and Ecto-1 crash into each other resulting in a very 2D "goo splash" animation. They didn't mesh well. I don't want to get into you-know-who level of nitpicking art, or beat the already dead horse of "should have been an LCD" but thinking of the source material while watching an ape-like Rick Moranis character "run" across the screen left more to be desired. I know it's a minor part of the game but when everything else on the cabinet is so stunning it stood out like a sore, two-dimensional red thumb.

Having said that I look forward to pouring more money into it and getting familiar with the play.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

What's brutal in your opinions? Like, if my game is 3-5 minutes on a game I'm new to, I don't consider it brutal. Especially with the game lighting ball save with the saucer kickout. None of my drains in the 12+ games felt cheap.

Brutal doesn't always mean bad. Acdc can be brutal, yet it's a great, fun game. GB just seems to have very short ball times. Wider flipppers, and seemingly open out lanes make it easier to drain. I haven't played it yet, so my opinion is strictly based off of several videos online. Either way, the game looks like a good one.

#115 7 years ago

This game will fit in perfectly with all my other difficult pins. Twd. Luci. Met. Imve. Bsd. Congo. Cant wait

#116 7 years ago

If GB is brutal, especially for average pinball players like me, I hope the modders come to the rescue for it- I'm
Sure they will.

I almost got rid of my TWD during the first month of owning it, until I installed some outlane extenders and bigger star posts. The drains were too much and no one had fun after many games. Casual players hated it after a while, because it was so hard to get anywhere with it because how easy it was to lose.

After the lane extenders, the game plays perfect- still super brutal and very hard to get a good game going, but not excessively cheap with the drains - and now nudging is possibly.

I think the game looks great and has a lot of positives going on with it. I think JT went too far with the design as far as difficulty goes- wide flippers, double outlanes that can't be closed off, pop up targets which brick shots SDTM easily, etc. I think some lane extenders and even slightly larger flippers will be great for people who aren't very good at pinball will be great. Excessively short ball times can be frustrating to the point where the game isn't fun, so I'm sure I'll be able to "fix" it like I did with TWD so it stays in my house for a long time.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

My only complaint is the flippers seem spaced further apart than other games.

Better not buy any Trudeau games then, congo, JD, mustang, BOP etc

#118 7 years ago

Looks like a great game. Would love to play one.
Love the theme.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't get the complaints. It was a huge hit song, most people love it, it's still popular today...why is it wrong for a song to be catchy? Isn't that the point? To complain about the GB song in a GB game is like complaining about ACDC music in an ACDC game - oh wait, people do that too. How come you never hear a complaint about the 15 second music loops most games have for main tunes?

I like how you ignored my entire fucking review and latched like a pitbull on to a very minor part of it - the mention of the maddeningly infectious tune, and said the same thing about it over. And over. And over. And then over again.

And over again once more in case we missed your point.

Do you have any other thoughts on my review? Or are you just going to continue to expound upon those two crucial sentences at the end?

#120 7 years ago

slightly different subject, I was wondering if anybody has more insight into the rules of GB... There are 9 scenes according to the rule set posted from Stern - in the online videos the several scenes I´ve watched were that you get the task of hitting the blinking arrows - are all the scenes like that or do they vary ? The other question was regarding multiballs - the Stern ruleset mentions two (storage facility and mass hysteria) and this is also the quantity given on the details page of this (pinside) site. Maybe there are more multiball modes hidden in scenes or the two mentioned wizard modes ?

One other thing I was wondering about - the pro has this bidirectional ramp which I think is a nifty idea. Is it possible that two balls going in different directions meet on the ramp? I guess it would be really difficult, but possible I think. Interesting this feature was not used on the premium/le.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

slightly different subject, I was wondering if anybody has more insight into the rules of GB... There are 9 scenes according to the rule set posted from Stern - in the online videos the several scenes I´ve watched were that you get the task of hitting the blinking arrows - are all the scenes like that or do they vary ? The other question was regarding multiballs - the Stern ruleset mentions two (storage facility and mass hysteria) and this is also the quantity given on the details page of this (pinside) site. Maybe there are more multiball modes hidden in scenes or the two mentioned wizard modes ?
One other thing I was wondering about - the pro has this bidirectional ramp which I think is a nifty idea. Is it possible that two balls going in different directions meet on the ramp? I guess it would be really difficult, but possible I think. Interesting this feature was not used on the premium/le.

Unfortunately, it seems there are only two multiball modes on this game. I know Dwight is reading this thread, maybe he can chime in here and let us know if future code will add to this. This title definitely has so many more multiball possibilities then just two, so I'm hoping Stern will allow Dwight to mature the code and not abandon it in its current freshman stage, as it really seems pretty plain with its modes (and the way they start and progress) and multiballs.. Lots of potential here though.

#122 7 years ago

The game has three multiball modes: Storage Facility, Mass Hysteria and the final Gozer battle: "Are You A God?" (which seems almost impossible for a mortal to get to )

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I didn't dare post this in the Official Fan Boy thread for fear of being hung, drawn and quartered.

For starters.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

... including 3 versions of the main play, one for each ball.
- Dwight

How about those of us who suck and will have it on 5 ball?

#125 7 years ago

the good news is that the Pro model isn't looking like it's going to be a disappointment, feature-wise.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If GB is brutal, especially for average pinball players like me, I hope the modders come to the rescue for it- I'm
Sure they will.
I almost got rid of my TWD during the first month of owning it, until I installed some outlane extenders and bigger star posts. The drains were too much and no one had fun after many games. Casual players hated it after a while, because it was so hard to get anywhere with it because how easy it was to lose.
After the lane extenders, the game plays perfect- still super brutal and very hard to get a good game going, but not excessively cheap with the drains - and now nudging is possibly.
I think the game looks great and has a lot of positives going on with it. I think JT went too far with the design as far as difficulty goes- wide flippers, double outlanes that can't be closed off, pop up targets which brick shots SDTM easily, etc. I think some lane extenders and even slightly larger flippers will be great for people who aren't very good at pinball will be great. Excessively short ball times can be frustrating to the point where the game isn't fun, so I'm sure I'll be able to "fix" it like I did with TWD so it stays in my house for a long time.

Agree, I'm in the same boat as you. Its one thing to have a brutal pin, that can be changed and another to have one that can't. I wish they'd put a factory post between the flippers, as drilling s hole in play fields isn't something I want to do. The good players and operators can just remove the post then. I see the game in the drain category as better than Iron Man, and a bit better than a stock TWD, the only difference is TWD's main issue was drains from pops and left side orbit which both can be fairly easily fixed with some posts and extenders. The main issue causing drains for me(besides my skill level) on this game is the flipper gap and the darn ghost shot(maybe there is another angle to hit it at), definitely not a deal killer, but I am hoping Stern will add a post between flippers.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

but I am hoping Stern will add a post between flippers.

This would literally take you 10 minutes to accomplish and about $4 in parts. If it's something you would like on your game, go nuts!

Stern, please do not add a centre post. Thank you.

#128 7 years ago

Nothing better than a pin that has people complaining its too difficult, fast and brutal. Thats pretty much all the incentive I need to buy one, if you want slow and easy then buy TH.

#129 7 years ago

I love different, difficult and unique pins. This one looks like its right down my alley. Not that I'm a great player or anything I just like a challenge.

TWD definitely made me a better player! I'm looking forward to the journey with GB.

I'm wondering about the magna sling action and too many balls center draining based on that Stern video. A center post for the premium/le? I'm not a fan of those and don't like it much on my SM.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Unfortunately, it seems there are only two multiball modes on this game. I know Dwight is reading this thread, maybe he can chime in here and let us know if future code will add to this. This title definitely has so many more multiball possibilities then just two, so I'm hoping Stern will allow Dwight to mature the code and not abandon it in its current freshman stage, as it really seems pretty plain with its modes (and the way they start and progress) and multiballs.. Lots of potential here though.

I've heard from Dwight that there are 5 multiballs in the game I'm not sure if that count includes or excludes the two advertised wizard modes.

#131 7 years ago

Never saw a game with added lane extenders. How much difference does it make & where can you find them?

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Nothing better than a pin that has people complaining its too difficult, fast and brutal. Thats pretty much all the incentive I need to buy one, if you want slow and easy then buy TH.

I have a GBLE on order and currently own TH. It's far from slow and definitely the hardest game I've ever played! I owned TWDLE in the past and TH is way more challenging... it's an epic adventure!

#133 7 years ago

I'm so glad the reviews are that it's,
" hard" , "drains easy", " outlanes and flippers are brutal"
Imagine the opposite reviews, " too easy",
" never drains," , new game and my first ball lasts 1/2 hour!
It's the same with every release.
TWD...drains to easy off pops, target doest drop as easy, well Walker airballs,
Prison drain.
I can't ever imagine a review that doesn't
have all the good and all the bad.
Human nature.
Code will make it better. Music will have
some adjustments, mods will come.
Just damn grateful. This year adds more choices for us all!

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I have a GBLE on order and currently own TH. It's far from slow and definitely the hardest game I've ever played! I owned TWDLE in the past and TH is way more challenging... it's an epic adventure!

Totally agree TaTa. Once i learned how to play the Hobbit (this weekend), its a fantastic game. It is the hardest game i have every played as well. TH is extraordinarily good. Its better than all others in quality or value.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I'm glad you guys are loving it, truly but theres a difference between a hard rule set and a hard to play game, I loved LOTR's but it was easy to keep 40min plus games going so a different experience but not a hard to play pin, I lean towards more fast and brutal type pins TH is not one these, deep rules for sure but the gameplay in my opinion is lacking, I'd rather play IM and its far from deep, still glad we have both. I wanted TH to be my first JJP, I'm going to have to wait I guess.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Never saw a game with added lane extenders. How much difference does it make & where can you find them?

Message "yoyokopter" here on Pinside- they are great! I've had a handful of PMs about them now, so hopefully anyone interested sees this and messages him. Changed my TWD into a fun game, still frustrating though, but much better balanced without the crazy drains.

#137 7 years ago

Just watched this video of these guys playing GB Pro.

Brutal is definitely the word. Those outlanes may even be more brutal than TWD, and combined with the flipper gap.. It looks extremely difficult. Not to mention the rumor or the Slimer bash toy not registering seems to be happening a lot on this machine.

Watching them play you can see they are mostly talking about how brutal the outlanes are, and they seem pretty frustrated by it.

At 18:00 it is even worse then the TWD drain from the pop/tunnel area, this guy had two SDTM right from the plunges in a row. That would suck.. Especially if you are paying to play this game.

(Might want to skip the initial intro and get to the part with the guy explaining the machine and playing it)

#138 7 years ago

That's the video I was talking about. Average guys playing, and it looks frustrating and brutal. I'm sure the better players will have longer ball times, but what's the fun if you can't hardly ever open deep modes? The pin is exciting, but it reminds me of my acdc. People enjoy playing it based off the energy it puts out, but they never get very far to really see the whole game. Still it's fun, but I have several pinball guys even get tired quickly of the brutality of the drains. GB looks to be even more frustrating, but again I need to play it before making a sound judgement.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

People enjoy playing it based off the energy it puts out, but they never get very far to really see the whole game.

I've owned games where I am able to see the wizard mode the first week I've owned the game (MB I'm looking at you). They get boring very quickly.

I've never been to Valinor. Still own and love playing LotR. Just because most mortals will never see the wizard mode, does not a bad game make.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Just because most mortals will never see the wizard mode, does not a bad game make.

+1

I won't get to see most true "wizard" modes, but having them there is always incentive to keep playing.

F-14 is still in my family's top 5 games, because it was so brutal. People enjoyed the relatively apparent goals and how hard it was.

#141 7 years ago

There is something uniquely satisfying about having a really good game on a brutal machine. I have great respect for Iron Man and expect really fast games. But every once in a while I am able to overcome the difficult outlanes and random extreme ball behavior with some inspired nudging and flipper control and put together a respectable score. Nothing that I could ever accomplish on TH (or LOTR for that matter) will ever be able to quite match that particularly invigorating experience.

YMMV.

Still, an air all off a drop target over the flipper is not cool with me on a routine basis. I hope some compensation can be accomplished.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

That's the video I was talking about. Average guys playing, and it looks frustrating and brutal. I'm sure the better players will have longer ball times, but what's the fun if you can't hardly ever open deep modes? The pin is exciting, but it reminds me of my acdc. People enjoy playing it based off the energy it puts out, but they never get very far to really see the whole game. Still it's fun, but I have several pinball guys even get tired quickly of the brutality of the drains. GB looks to be even more frustrating, but again I need to play it before making a sound judgement.

Acdc is totally playable. Adjust the posts, make some of multiballs easier by the settings and it's great.

Outlane posts are adjustable on these games. All this about GB being a drain monster.......there is a pretty easy fix by moving those posts down!

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

If you mean when you hold the start button to restart in the middle of a game, ST:TNG does the same thing. Interestingly, Dwight did the code on that game too.

I have the restart turned off. Was that intentional on ST:TNG, or a bug?

#144 7 years ago

I would prefer this cover... If the GB stands next to an acdc or met

#145 7 years ago

All the games I have after 44 years of moving them in and out, I've only been to the end once. If I get there too often, or its no longer fun, it's time to trade!
Also is our experiences, we all differ. 7 years owning a Mousin, and I'd like it back. But I don't want another 3 target back drop anymore, or because junkyard was a precision shot straight up the middle. Star Trek, didn't grab me.
I'm happy the drop targets don't always drop in GB, they are new....they can be made easier.
I'm glad slimer may or may not always
Register...neither did woz witch, xmen, bbh. Twd, and more
I learned to play it or, adjust it, or just move on.
There's no such thing as a bad Pinball!
Well almost, IMO.
Bring on GB....
The good and the bad...

#146 7 years ago

Love the track!
Gotta try changing it for main or some of the main calls!

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just watched this video of these guys playing GB Pro.
Brutal is definitely the word. Those outlanes may even be more brutal than TWD, and combined with the flipper gap.. It looks extremely difficult. Not to mention the rumor or the Slimer bash toy not registering seems to be happening a lot on this machine.
Watching them play you can see they are mostly talking about how brutal the outlanes are, and they seem pretty frustrated by it.
At 18:00 it is even worse then the TWD drain from the pop/tunnel area, this guy had two SDTM right from the plunges in a row. That would suck.. Especially if you are paying to play this game.
» YouTube video
(Might want to skip the initial intro and get to the part with the guy explaining the machine and playing it)

That's not a totally fair example of the play. John filmed his very first Ghostbusters games. I don't know about all of you, but my first few games on a new machine are always horrible. I'm overwhelmed looking at everything going on that I forget all about ball control. Actually I kind of respect that within a few moments of seeing the machine for the first time he was filming his play on it for all of us to see.

(Ha, and you can hear some of my tilt warnings on TWD in the background )

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

- Dwight

Dwight:

Any guess on how many call outs from the movies are going to be in the game?

Brian

#149 7 years ago

I did move lanes in on acdc. Still a tough game. I'm definitely not saying it's not a good game. It's one of my favorites and I personally have great games and love it. All games need to be challenging, but just not because of cheap drains because if design. Still, acdc rules, and I'm confident GB will be a blast

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like how you ignored my entire fucking review and latched like a pitbull on to a very minor part of it - the mention of the maddeningly infectious tune, and said the same thing about it over. And over. And over. And then over again.
And over again once more in case we missed your point.
Do you have any other thoughts on my review? Or are you just going to continue to expound upon those two crucial sentences at the end?

It's what I felt like responding to. You don't get to dictate how I respond to your posts. Put me on ignore, please.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 103.00
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.