image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 22.
#951 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Maybe It's Hard like your avatar?

Ha! I see what you did there

#952 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Man, between that comment and your comment about Mr. Trudeau, you really lack respect for your elders.

I don't know man, maybe Stern should hire you and Kaneda as the heads of QC. Yawl both know everything, nobody else knows a goddamn thing, and you're both the best thing since handiwipes.

I appreciate the compliments and support, but I don't think that would be an efficient use of resources for stern or myself. While I'd love to play test stern games for a living I don't think it will cover my rent.

Stern has plenty of qualified people - including the aforementioned doctor flash - who can play the games and point out issues.

My experience - at least 20 hours of play so far - shows this game really needed more refining. I've never played a brand new game with so many cheap drains and air balls. Reviews from others shows I'm not the only one who has had this experience.

I have plenty of respect for my elders. Doesn't mean I need to agree with them.

#953 7 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Geez some people on both sides of the fence have really got their panties in a bunch over a pinball game.
This thread is hilarious, it is the gift that just keeps on giving.

GB has REALLY brought out the insanity of people; it's so bizarre.

#954 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have plenty of respect for my elders. Doesn't mean I need to agree with them.

Or think that they should continue making games?

Again, I gotta say - I didn't experience ANY air balls or cheap drains. Maybe you just suck at pinball?

#955 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Is being passionate about something you care about really the definition of "insanity"? It's not like I'm going to the association of cake baking website and going on and on about how rad GB is.

I wouldn't even be so upset about the negative comments about the game if it just didn't seem like the negativity is coming from people who really haven't played the game.

#956 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just wait until we get a taste of the magna slings!

#957 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Yes. Make a pinball machine that's better and we'll talk. otherwise this sounds like sour grapes from people that find happiness in being the poop in the punchbowl.
I know there's only so much you can talk about as far as modern pinball is concerned, but do you dudes with your constant negativity think you're pushing the hobby forward? 'Cause you're not. especially with talk like "John Trudeau is a shitty pinball designer". he's better than the naysayers will ever be.

You are complaining about negativity?

Pot, meet Kettle.

#958 7 years ago

I have played heaps of games the pro and I really like it. I don't find it super hard but I do find it challenging.
I could care less what anyone else thinks about it. If you like it play it, if not keep your panties on and go and play something you enjoy.

#959 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Is being passionate about something you care about really the definition of "insanity"? ...
I wouldn't even be so upset about the negative comments about the game if it just didn't seem like the negativity is coming from people who really haven't played the game.

You are only one person, playing devil's advocate in this thread against levi & RH; whom have an opinion way to one side; That makes sense to me and not what I was refering to.
Of course for someone like Levi, I would assume a small part of what he is doing is going overly negative, because everyone so completely in love with this game no matter what; I understand that side to.

I just mean in general, all threads regarding GB. Being so "passionate" aboot GB is the weird part to me; on everyone's part.

#960 7 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

You are complaining about negativity?
Pot, meet Kettle.

I don't accept critiques from Kaneda's ballsaver.

#961 7 years ago

BY THE WAY, I have some negative comments about Ghostbusters Pro!

1) The ball gets hung up on Slimer sometimes.
2) If the ball goes backwards slowly where the gate is by the "stay puft marshmellow man" insert, it tends to come to a complete stop at the gate. THIS IS NOT A STEVE RICHIE GAME FOLKS
3) The right ramp is the smallest opening I have ever seen for a ramp on a pinball machine (note: this isn't really negative as I like difficult shots)
4) Not enough Bill Murray.
5) The ball comes to a standstill when it comes off of the left ramp into the ghost deposit chamber thingy. STILL NOT A STEVE RICHIE GAME

and the absolute worst thing about GB is:

6) the damn "choose the bacon unless there is a star" video mode tip that they mentioned during the Deadflip stream DOES NOT WORK.

#962 7 years ago

Bottom line is Pinside is the end-all be-all of the pinball world. The hardcore fanatics live here and they're passionate about what they like and especially about what they don't like. When you spend 5-8k or more on a new game and you have a bunch of people crapping all over it and calling it a piece of shit people take it personally. Anyone who spends that kind of money on games doesn't want to think they just bought a crap game for 8 grand.

In the end who really gives a flying fuck... people like what they like and spend their money accordingly. If you're coming here to get the fanbois all pumped up your gonna get the haters too. I wouldn't take it personally....if there was ever a pinball that everyone in the world loved and had nothing bad to say about it... then I would think that we would never need to build another machine at that point. It just comes with being in the hobby...

#963 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I'm going to be honest with you, Rarehero: the people saying "This game is too hard!" or "It's just not fun" - methinks they haven't played it.

That must be it! Anyone who has an opinion that is not consistent with Cornelius means that they are full of shit and didn't even play the pin.

#964 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That must be it! Anyone who has an opinion that is not consistent with Cornelius means that they are full of shit and didn't even play the pin.

Dude, did the PBC get a google alert to come after me or something?

#966 7 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

Bottom line is Pinside is the end-all be-all of the pinball world.

When you spend 5-8k or more on a new game and you have a bunch of people crapping all over it and calling it a piece of shit people take it personally.

Anyone who spends that kind of money on games doesn't want to think they just bought a crap game for 8 grand.

Not true at all.

They shouldn't, I'm not.

Well tough shit, grow up i tells them!

#967 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I'm not sure where you get this impression.

I've read a ton of opinions both positive and negative from people after they have played GB. I find it hard to believe that everyone who was left with a negative impression is lying about having played the game.

I suppose one could question whether or not you had actually played GB based on your reported positive experience. (Devils advocate here)

There are always differing opinions. I find it more interesting to read the reasons why someone likes or dislikes a game rather than just whether or not they like it.

#968 7 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

Bottom line is Pinside is the end-all be-all of the pinball world.

Don't say dirty things, God might hear you.

#969 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I suppose one could question whether or not you had actually played GB based on your positive experience. (Devils advocate here)

Fair enough.

https://vine.co/v/iVWtFZd6hXp

I guess one could say I was only standing next to the machine, never playing it... but hey, either way, no air balls encountered!

#970 7 years ago

I think GB depends on the style of play. meaning the style of how you shoot and setup up the ball. If you dont have any control of the ball in this game, it punishes you... Ive had good and bad experiences with the game.

Going to put more hours on it before i decide if im going to buy it, but ive been having fun since the update 1.05 and taking a different approach to the game helped for sure.

#971 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The mode completion thing is up to Dwight. If anyone feels the same way about the forced mode replays, please let the people at Stern know.

I am glad people can have such different opinions about things. It is what makes the world interesting. I have the completely opposite opinion about the modes. I love that you actually need to complete them. I love that I get to re-enable the mode that I had one shot left on and have the satisfaction of finishing.

It is a little ridiculous to say people are forced to play the same modes, when there are always 3 to choose from (unless you have completed a ladder and played a wizard mode). All the first level modes are also really easy, so anyone capable of making intentional shots will often complete them.

I also love the strategy of what order you hit the shots because of chaining. If I start with who brought the dog, do I save right orbit until last to chain spook central, or do I choose to go into we got one.

You also seem to forget all the games that make you compete modes like say GOT, ST (level II and III). In a way it is a lot like ST. Linear with advancing storing for each scene. Progressive difficulty as you move down. I like that the game forces you to make shots. You can't just say, hey I can't hit the right ramp, I am going to ignore it.

I don't want to come across cocky, but my biggest fear right now is that for tournament players ghostbusters is too easy. It will all come down to code. Is looping supers going to be the go to tournament strategy, I hope not because I am not that accurate a shooter. Is equipment / river of slime a viable strategy, again I hope not. In our finals for selfie, ghostbusters was longer playing than many other games and that was no EB. This thing bleeds EBs.

Are there some unfortunate geometry issues. Yes. Do they ruin the game for me, no. It reminds me Pinball is a physical game. Of course, I love classics, bring on out of control and cheap drains.

#972 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I guess one could say I was only standing next to the machine, never playing it... but hey, either way, no air balls encountered!

Let's say I believe you actually played it. I also believe you may not have had any air balls as I believe the reports from people who have had air balls. In fact, enough of them that it can be a problem with the game, though one I expect is fixable.

That's what I like about reading peoples reviews, both positive and negative. Sifting through all the reports to see how serious the issues are (and every game has them) and if they are likely to be fixed.

#973 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

That's what I like about reading peoples reviews, both positive and negative. Sifting through all the reports to see how serious the issues are (and every game has them) and if they are likely to be fixed.

The craziest thing about me flying the flag for GB?? In all honesty, I kinda like GoT a little more.

I just hate to see a good game get all shitted on, and I especially hate to see Mr. Trudeau get dissed. As you can see from my collection, dude has a special spot in my heart (and pin lineup).

#974 7 years ago

I am new to pinball compared to what seems like the majority of Pinsiders. I had a CFTBL that I bought because I liked the theme and artwork. I never played before and it was my first and only pin. I didn't have a clue who designed it or who did the code (didn't even know if it was the latest code or not) nor did I care because I just enjoyed playing it, figuring it out as I played and watching myself get better. Due to lifes ups and downs I had to sell it many years ago.

Fortunately now I was able to order a GB Premium and go figure I got it for the theme and artwork and it just looks like a lot of fun. Coincidence that JT designed both? Maybe but I'm guessing the flipper gap probably won't bother me and if it does I'll just get longer bats. Seems to be a simple solution.

Now a lot of what is talked about on here I have had to look up to see exactly what it is you're referring to but I have also gotten the impression based on all the posts I've read that becoming obsessed to the extreme I've seen here can take away from the innocent and pure fun and enjoyment a newbie like me experiences when your focus is on comparing so many different aspects. I refuse to concern myself with the code (past, present or future) or who did the code or who said they liked it or who said they didn't like it or who designed it or who did the artwork and just have fun playing it, figuring it out, enjoying the challenge and getting better, looking at it, and putting some cosmetic mods on it to make it a little unique to me.

I bought a GB Premium to have fun and enjoy and I believe it will deliver for a long time to come.

#975 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Maybe It's Hard like your avatar?

How F ed up are you right now? What are you smoking/drinking?

#976 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How F ed up are you right now? What are you smoking/drinking?

Not at all, and BWilson completely understood what I meant.

#977 7 years ago

Maaaaaan, what the heck happened here? I haven't been in this thread for quite a while, but when it started blowing up I should have figured it had turned into a slap fight.

Not everybody is going to like GB, and that's fine. I guess people can put the game into "plunge to win" mode if they want with center posts, extended outlanes, thicker posts, longer flippers, or whatever. That's fine, sure. What's annoying is when they post their 6 billion point score into the score tracking apps. That's the offensive part of it. Otherwise, yeah, if you pay several thousand dollars for something, do what you want to it. Just don't expect people to think what you're doing is "improving" the game.

And man, let's chill on the personal attacks. It's like the Hobbit review thread. You get jumped on and hounded by the zealots for giving valid reasons for not loving the game and proclaiming it the second coming of AFM. I'd rather we not do that so heavy-handed in all review threads as it will just stifle constructive criticism.

If you don't like the flipper gap, that's cool. Just say, "I don't like the flipper gap because it makes it hard for me." That's probably more effective than insulting the designers or people who are ok with it. The inverse is true. Let's not freak out on the people who dislike the flipper gap. We can explain why it's fine or not a problem, but maybe refrain from cussing out the person with the differing opinion.

#978 7 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

I refuse to concern myself with the code (past, present or future) or who did the code or who said they liked it or who said they didn't like it or who designed it or who did the artwork and just have fun playing it, figuring it out, enjoying the challenge and getting better, looking at it, and putting some cosmetic mods on it to make it a little unique to me.

That's a great attitude.

I think it's natural that the more you get into a hobby the more you learn about what you like and dislike. After playing and owning pinball machines for a long time, I've noticed I tend to favor certain designers, programmers, artists, etc..

This just means the anticipation I have for a game when it's announced varies depending on the team (and company) that's making it. It also affects how much confidence I have in issues being fixed.

#979 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think it's natural that the more you get into a hobby the more you learn about what you like and dislike. After playing and owning pinball machines for a long time, I've noticed I tend to favor certain designers, programmers, artists, etc..

I'm far more picky now, for better or worse. I can appreciate smaller things easier, but I also magnify flaws more than I probably should.

#980 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Dude, did the PBC get a google alert to come after me or something?

No, the thread blew up, people see that, wonder what's going on, then come see what it is, and walk into this.

FWIW, I am VERY concerned about the linear code. I've played a bit on the demo pro at the distributor, and it's fun and challenging and just right for me in a lot of ways, but if I'm forced to follow the same path through the modes over and over I simply will not own it. Premium on order for now, but thinking twice.

#981 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

No, the thread blew up, people see that, wonder what's going on, then come see what it is, and walk into this.

They walked into a.... spirited discussion about pinball???? On PINSIDE!?!?!?!?!

Outrageous.

#982 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Yes. Make a pinball machine that's better and we'll talk. otherwise this sounds like sour grapes from people that find happiness in being the poop in the punchbowl.

Actually if you work on a game people get really pissy if you dare criticize other games.

#983 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

FWIW, I am VERY concerned about the linear code. I've played a bit on the demo pro at the distributor, and it's fun and challenging and just right for me in a lot of ways, but if I'm forced to follow the same path through the modes over and over I simply will not own it. Premium on order for now, but thinking twice.

The linearity makes sense though because they progress in a way that nods at the movies. There are three ladders though, so if you really don't want to start Who Brought the Dog? in back to back games, start a different ladder. I guess they could make it optional to randomize the modes. Personally, I'd keep it in the 3 distinct ladders, but I get the desire for an option.

#984 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Actually if you work on a game people get really pissy if you dare criticize other games.

Sir, your "I Am Unbiased on Pinside" card has been revoked, please limit all postings to Heighway threads.

#985 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You talk the talk, do you walk the walk?

am_(resized).jpgam_(resized).jpg

#986 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Sir, your "I Am Unbiased on Pinside" card has been revoked, please limit all postings to Heighway threads.

I actually wish that I've had a chance to play GB so I could even decide whether or not to comment, but there hasn't been time to make it out to the (semi) local spots that have it on location. I have friends with Premiums on order, might just wait until then. Way more curious about the Prem anyways. Sounds like it won't be until later in the Summer before they arrive, but no rush.

I can already tell you what I think of the video mode though!

#987 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I actually wish that I've had a chance to play GB so I could even decide whether or not to comment, but there hasn't been time to make it out to the (semi) local spots that have it on location.

Do you know of any places closer to the valley that have it? I went to that Korean place Acye Gogi once and they were planning to get one, but they didn't yet have it as of a few weeks ago. I did play a stock GB pro when I was in Vegas at the pinball hall of fame, it had no post in the center and seemed to play fine for me but I only played two games on it there which isn't enough to determine it's difficulty.

#988 7 years ago

Maybe if the game is to hard we can get the modders to make a game with a tissue dispenser

stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpgstern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg

#989 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Or think that they should continue making games?
Again, I gotta say - I didn't experience ANY air balls or cheap drains. Maybe you just suck at pinball?

I also respect wayne Gretzky. Doesn't mean I think he has any business going back out on the ice.

I'm not the only one complaining about the air balls and cheap drains. Maybe you are just the only person who is good at pinball?

#990 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Maybe you (CrazyLevi) just suck at pinball?

PAPA would tend to disagree.

(Hint: he's number 3)

rd

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#991 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Maybe you are just the only person who is good at pinball?

Better than you at the very least.

Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Do you know of any places closer to the valley that have it?

Family Amusement Center
Pinz

#992 7 years ago

This thread is one dropped bottle of olive oil from an extremely cathartic orgy.

#993 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

Oh yeah? Well.... #103 baby!!! I know you're jealous of that TWD goose egg. COMPETITION CATCH SPEED KNOTS

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#994 7 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Do you know of any places closer to the valley that have it?

I was just at Pinz in Studio City playing it.

I played w a guy who got like 3 billion and had no idea what he was doing. I was in the 300 million area trying to pick off the modes. He got his score by (I think) getting loopin supers, storage MB, and PKE frenzy all going at once....maybe some other things!

Clearly trying to play thru the story isn't the way to get points. It seems to be all about all the other little goals scattered about the playfield. I think maybe I just need to rethink how this game is structured. I think it's actually kind of like Congo in some ways. Collecting ghosts is kind of like collecting the diamonds on Congo.

I was also getting the hang of the physics a bit and had a few good runs of finishing modes and linking them together. Due to this structure, I'm ok with the linear ladders. While it's frustrating if you have to repeat modes, it is fun to string together a "story" if you're jamming on it well. I still think an option for replaying/completion would be great, especially for casual players....

#995 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

This is not a complaint, but merely a question that i'd love to hear a very good answer to.
In regards to code, I can sit here and type so many reasons why Lyman's code in TWD and MET is so great, and makes their average layouts so much fun and great. Literally, the code is amazing and it really transforms the playfields into perfection for me. Even Keith with JJP's The Hobbit has done a great job thus far with a very simple layout.
I have yet to read huge praise on the coding efforts of Dwight on this machine. In fairness, the code is very new and I get that. But can anyone really explain what it is about the code/game rules that separates GB from the crowd? There's very little light show action, no multi-GI, the multiball modes seems to be lacking, and the mode progression is a well known complaint here. What are the positives of the code here, and does anyone really think it is the highlight of the game? It's an honest question, and I do not believe I have seen any huge praise for Dwight here. If you believe the code is exceptional and you absoletely think it is great, then I would love to hear some detailed feedback on it. As it stands, it really seems to me the code could be an issue here and it will need a lot of polish moving forward, to guarantee its long term success.

I haven't seen a lot of modes but I do enjoy the lighting effects at the start of storage facility multiball. I've played dozens of games so far and most are sub-100 mil, one 375 mil and a high so far of 464 million. Funny thing about the high game for me was that it was the first game I played after three days away from it. I agree with RareHero that the modes shouldn't reset after a drain or time out. I think the game is fun but it can be improved.

#996 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I don't hear players 1 or 2 complaining; only player 3, the worst of the bunch.

#997 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was just at Pinz in Studio City playing it.
I played w a guy who got like 3 billion and had no idea what he was doing. I was in the 300 million area trying to pick off the modes. He got his score by (I think) getting loopin supers, storage MB, and PKE frenzy all going at once....maybe some other things!
Clearly trying to play thru the story isn't the way to get points. It seems to be all about all the other little goals scattered about the playfield. I think maybe I just need to rethink how this game is structured. I think it's actually kind of like Congo in some ways. Collecting ghosts is kind of like collecting the diamonds on Congo.
I was also getting the hang of the physics a bit and had a few good runs of finishing modes and linking them together. Due to this structure, I'm ok with the linear ladders. While it's frustrating if you have to repeat modes, it is fun to string together a "story" if you're jamming on it well. I still think an option for replaying/completion would be great, especially for casual players....

You were in the 300M range? So...~half of your score was from the Terror Dog???

#998 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh yeah? Well.... #103 baby!!! I know you're jealous of that TWD goose egg. COMPETITION CATCH SPEED KNOTS

A shit score on TWD can happen to anyone. Brutal game. I either get nothing or 200 million+ on my pro.

Actually, that's a good comparison for this GB discussion. TWD is a brutal game, and everyone knows it. But you can progress through the modes, and if you do well, the scoring rewards you evenly and fairly. If you don't don't complete the modes, your loss (you didn't get the points) and you move to the next one.

GB current code has none of this ... its just not enjoyable to play as it is currently. I said this like on Page 1 of this thread, I just don't come back here and bang on about it like some do.

GB is going to get very old fast in a home collection unless the code is changed. That's what Rare is saying. And I agree 100 percent.

And Levis points about the cheap drains, air balls etc have been repeated by many (including myself) many times. Hey, not every game is going to do this ... But the 4 pros I've played have ALL done it. And when that happens, you just don't want to put another $1 in the coin slot.

rd

#999 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You were in the 300M range? So...~half of your score was from the Terror Dog???

I guess? I dunno, clearly the scoring strategy is lost on me lol I definitely didn't seem to be getting many points from the modes, but I was trying to get through them cuz I wanna see the gaddamn Marshmallow Man! I could only get to Spook Central on that ladder...I got to The Ballroom on the center ladder.

It'll be really interesting to see how different the Prem/LE plays from the Pro. While the right ramp on the Pro is a bit clunky, it's also a bit clever in how it sends the ball over to the right flipper to set you up for a left-hand side shots. The right ramp on the Prem/LE sets you up for more right-hand side shots. Not sure if that'll be good, bad, or indifferent...but it'll definitely make the game have a different type of flow.

#1000 7 years ago

I do alright when I play pinball for fun and recreation, but put me in a competition and I choke hard. That TWD score humbled me greatly.

But yeah, Ghostbusters. Great pin. Check it out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review/page/20?hl=flipordie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.