image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 22.
#651 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I did get that impression....

This is TWD in a nutshell. I was just (like, 5 mins ago) having a killer ball on my TWD pro, I hit a legitimate shot, and the game rewards me by firing the ball so fast down the left drain, the Playfield has scorch marks.

This is a legitimate complaint, and one echoed by some of the top "guys" in pinball. Location pinball is going to die if people don't keep putting quarters into games. If a kid sticks $1 into GB or TWD and the whole $1 is gone in a minute or so, he's gonna put his $1 somewhere else where he can play for longer for his $1.
If the machine isn't earning, the operator isn't going to bother with pins any more. No pins on location means no new kids get addicted to them, they don't want to buy a pin when they get older, and so on down the line, and pinball goes down the gurgler.
rd

it's not just the walking dead that does it. My indy 500 does the same thing. Ihave one game for 700 million and the next 6 i'm lucky to get 30 million. Make the turbo shot....rejected...rolls out, into a hair trigger sling. Puff puff pass drain. SOB!!!

#652 7 years ago

Slimer reminds me more of that weird thing in basket case

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#653 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I can confirm that Game of Thrones does not do this. Just says "bonus held" and the game is over.

WTF GARY #WHERESTHECODE!!!

#654 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I did get that impression....

This is TWD in a nutshell. I was just (like, 5 mins ago) having a killer ball on my TWD pro, I hit a legitimate shot, and the game rewards me by firing the ball so fast down the left drain, the Playfield has scorch marks.

This is a legitimate complaint, and one echoed by some of the top "guys" in pinball. Location pinball is going to die if people don't keep putting quarters into games. If a kid sticks $1 into GB or TWD and the whole $1 is gone in a minute or so, he's gonna put his $1 somewhere else where he can play for longer for his $1.
If the machine isn't earning, the operator isn't going to bother with pins any more. No pins on location means no new kids get addicted to them, they don't want to buy a pin when they get older, and so on down the line, and pinball goes down the gurgler.
rd

Worse than a System 11 with no ball save?

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

WTF GARY #WHERESTHECODE!!!

They actually just added it in the latest version of code!
From the read me file.....
"- BONUS HELD will now give your bonus twice on the last ball if needed."

#656 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not just the walking dead that does it. My indy 500 does the same thing. Ihave one game for 700 million and the next 6 i'm lucky to get 30 million. Make the turbo shot....rejected...rolls out, into a hair trigger sling. Puff puff pass drain. SOB!!!

Me too with Indy. I'm getting a ton of turbo shot rejects! Might have to take that Cliffy off.

Good to know its not just me having those kind of games, a good one mixed in with some mediocre and shitty ones.

#657 7 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Slimer reminds me more of that weird thing in basket case

If only GB's was themed after the Basket Case franchise.

Basket-Case-3-2_(resized).jpgBasket-Case-3-2_(resized).jpg

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Me too with Indy. I'm getting a ton of turbo shot rejects! Might have to take that Cliffy off.
Good to know its not just me having those kind of games, a good one mixed in with some mediocre and shitty ones.

my turbo does it from time to time and I don't even have a cliffy. Still trying to figure out how to keep fast shots up to the green flag to stay in the saucer. They like to shoot up and to the right without even going in the saucer. Blue rubber pad on the backwall didn't help at all.

#659 7 years ago

I was convinced I was going to buy GB until my family and I played it at Allentown. The game was brutal to the point of not being much fun for casual or less skilled players -- at least for my family. No matter how cool the toys or rules, if your ball doesn't last long at all, it doesn't really matter and leaves a bad impression. After spending hours playing games at the show, no one in my family (including me) voted it into their top 3 at the show, so I bought something else.

#660 7 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

The game was brutal to the point of not being much fun for casual or less skilled players -- at least for my family.

Yeah I'll have to see when I get it...but when I played it at a launch it was rough....and i mean ROUGH.
Never on a modern game have I used the ball save literally EVERY ball.

#661 7 years ago

I've played about fifty games on a pro. Loved it at 6 credits for a dollar, pretty meh at 3 for $2.
The airballs are infrequent (1 a game?) but feel really unfair. The right ramp simply will not go up the subway track no matter how well you hit it. The reverse flippers isn't fun at all.

You have to be able to live catch to do much on the machine. The drains from a fast shot going down the inlane super fast then draining are annoying. The diverter up by the top rollovers often blocks a skillshot attempt.
I'll play it some more but I don't want to own one.

#662 7 years ago

The ball won't go up the ramp? Seems like something's wrong what that one pin because every video I've seen the ramp is not a problem.

#663 7 years ago

Heres my review of the Pro after 3 days of owning and playing. First off i moved the outlanes down and added few seconds to all the ball savers to make the game as family friendly as possible since i have a 5 year old thats really into the ghostbusters. He has had some decent games and hes not good at pinball yet. My wifes highest score was 211million on only hand full of games. My highest score isnt that great either at 311million but the games werent fast ball times or brutal. We all love the game and theme. I played everything at pinfest thats newer except ghostbusters for ovious reasons and ghostbusters is definitly more fun then all of them.

Gameplay wise we can hit every shot. Surprisingly favorite shot is the right ramp, its tight and satisfying when you hit it and hit all 3 roll over switches to bust the most ghosts. Slimer works good, the spicoli brothers left one takes a softer shot to go down but right no issues and i havent messed with there springs yet. Once you start to get to know the table it really comes to life and is a total blast. The ball barely ever drains in outlanes most are down the center but no more then other games. Think ive only seen 1 ball jump the outlane rails its not a issue. The light show is the best ive ever seen, Stern nailed it. Sound is rocking also, hooked up my subwoofer today and man does it sound good. Also installed the Red Tremor today and its great! Subwoofer and shaker are must buys for this game. Bought the slimer acrylics at pinfest with speakerlightkit from Cointaker and unfortunetly they didnt include the SAM to Spike connector so waiting to here back on that. Also installed Tilt graphics side blades, they really fit the tables art and city scape.

Overall my family is super happy with the table!

20160507_230509_(resized).jpg20160507_230509_(resized).jpg

#664 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I've played about fifty games on a pro. Loved it at 6 credits for a dollar, pretty meh at 3 for $2.
The airballs are infrequent (1 a game?) but feel really unfair. The right ramp simply will not go up the subway track no matter how well you hit it. The reverse flippers isn't fun at all.
You have to be able to live catch to do much on the machine. The drains from a fast shot going down the inlane super fast then draining are annoying. The diverter up by the top rollovers often blocks a skillshot attempt.
I'll play it some more but I don't want to own one.

I had bad games, but I had good games too. No where near these multibillion games, or getting deep in the modes. But it was still fun and kept me coming back for more.

Dead bounces, drop catches, etc are all critical to calm the ball down. For instance on Marco's game at Allentown, you could pretty easy drop catch the ball out of the storage saucer kickout... and too a lesser extent the kickout from the left saucer. The airballs to the left side plastics are bummers and really needs improvement.

The drop target complaints, you just have to hit them more from the side or glancing blows. I don't try to hit them dead on anyway because of the drain threat.

#665 7 years ago

Played my local OP (Pro) machine with raised lane guides (posts still on 2), new flipper code and I really love it now. I had no cheap drains, just a few tough bounces as happens with pinball sometimes. I think it's a lot of fun and I could play it all day.

#666 7 years ago

Does GB have and Audio out for a subwoofer? What is a good sub for the money? Is a passive sub good enough for this use?

#667 7 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Does GB have and Audio out for a subwoofer? What is a good sub for the money? Is a passive sub good enough for this use?

You need an active (amplified) sub for sure. Seems like a lot of folks like the Polk PSW10. There is a headphone jack in the backbox, which you can use for the sub, provided the sub has a crossover (pretty much all do). I bought the Pinnovators kit, because it gives external volume for the speakers and external volume for the headphone jack at the coin door. That alone is worth it for me.

#668 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Heres my review of the Pro after 3 days of owning and playing. First off i moved the outlanes down and added few seconds to all the ball savers to make the game as family friendly as possible since i have a 5 year old thats really into the ghostbusters. He has had some decent games and hes not good at pinball yet. My wifes highest score was 211million on only hand full of games. My highest score isnt that great either at 311million but the games werent fast ball times or brutal. We all love the game and theme. I played everything at pinfest thats newer except ghostbusters for ovious reasons and ghostbusters is definitly more fun then all of them.
Gameplay wise we can hit every shot. Surprisingly favorite shot is the right ramp, its tight and satisfying when you hit it and hit all 3 roll over switches to bust the most ghosts. Slimer works good, the spicoli brothers left one takes a softer shot to go down but right no issues and i havent messed with there springs yet. Once you start to get to know the table it really comes to life and is a total blast. The ball barely ever drains in outlanes most are down the center but no more then other games. Think ive only seen 1 ball jump the outlane rails its not a issue. The light show is the best ive ever seen, Stern nailed it. Sound is rocking also, hooked up my subwoofer today and man does it sound good. Also installed the Red Tremor today and its great! Subwoofer and shaker are must buys for this game. Bought the slimer acrylics at pinfest with speakerlightkit from Cointaker and unfortunetly they didnt include the SAM to Spike connector so waiting to here back on that. Also installed Tilt graphics side blades, they really fit the tables art and city scape.
Overall my family is super happy with the table!

Which color slimer acrylics did you get and how do they look over the existing image?

Thanks

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Which color slimer acrylics did you get and how do they look over the existing image?
Thanks

There white without lights on. There is no image before i installed them. I'll post a picture of them lit up once Cointaker sends me the SAM to SPIKE connector

#670 7 years ago

Played for the first time at YEGPIN in Edmonton and had the chance to play 20 games or so on it over the weekend.

The dots on this game are the best I have seen - EVER. I mean the full backgrounds and the detail are outstanding. The game was next to TBL and the GB dots just speak real pinball to me... Movie clips work so much better when watching a movie not playing pinball.

The flow is fast and fun. Lots of shots and if you miss, you will be punished. However I didn't find the punishment to be worse than anything else but the slingshots do give the cheap drains. The Magnaslings will fix this on the premium/LE but definitely rough on the pro. Only real bad negative to me.

The drop targets were fine just can't shoot straight at then but lots of safe bounce shots make it fun and a couple times I safely hit bit with a nice bank shot.

The lights and music were fantastic. The game really integrates with the theme well. You feel the excitement capturing ghosts and then when the containment facility blows and you have to go crazy capturing all the ghost the adrenaline really pumps.

Right ramp is very difficult and not very rewarding (could change with code) but there are so many satisfying shots on this game anyways.

I would put this up as perhaps the best and most loaded pro stern has made if not for the bad slingshot drains. Maybe the strength can be adjusted? Still with those aside this is a fully loaded, intense and really fun game.

Busting makes me feel good. *

*Took grand champion at $1.5B

#671 7 years ago

What is the reasoning for the larger flipper gap? Game is hard enough already.

You think the new flipper gap is the new standard for future sterns?

#672 7 years ago

There is NO reason for that flipper gap, it should be abandoned when literally no one approves... although the flipper gap (for me) isn't the 'true' issue here, it's the BRUTAL outlanes, the 'ball hopping' on the outlanes isn't fun and is unfair. I adore this game for its theme interesting layout and sound, but watching everyone walk up and attempt to play it and walk away shaking their head like they didn't have a chance is getting old.. frustrating indeed. So many things to applaud and somehow so many things to loathe

#673 7 years ago

I got a few games on it this weekend. I didn't find it to be too brutal, didn't score well either, but not the games fault. I only had it jump the inlane once. I wasn't really feeling it too much until I played it with headphones on. It rocked that way. the sounds were awesome.

#674 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

What is the reasoning for the larger flipper gap? Game is hard enough already.
You think the new flipper gap is the new standard for future sterns?

This isn't the new Stern standard, it is however John Trudeau's standard. While we wont see it on every Stern, we may well see it again on John's next pin.

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

This isn't the new Stern standard, it is however John Trudeau's standard. While we wont see it on every Stern, we may well see it again on John's next pin.

Is it the same size flipper gap as mustang and wwe?

#676 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Is it the same size flipper gap as mustang and wwe?

Not sure, but he has had the large gap for sure in the past on games like Creech and others.

#677 7 years ago

you can always use carrot flippers if the manpon is getting to dry.

for those that don't know what the hell a carrot flipper is. It's flippers that look like these. Because they look like a carrot. They are 1/8" longer than a standard flipper. Used on some bally games.

carrot_flipper_(resized).jpgcarrot_flipper_(resized).jpg

#678 7 years ago

I did not find the centre drain to be an issue at all with the wider gap. I don't think anyone should be making a big deal about it. It's just those damn slings punting the ball to the outlanes most every time they engage. Painful.

This game was obviously designed for the Magnaslings and then the pro just had the slingshots in with not much more thought about it. Better get a premium IMO the slings are gonna be the #1 benefit that will make this game a #1 contender

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I did not find the centre drain to be an issue at all with the wider gap. I don't think anyone should be making a big deal about it. It's just those damn slings punting the ball to the outlanes most every time they engage. Painful.
This game was obviously designed for the Magnaslings and then the pro just had the slingshots in with not much more thought about it. Better get a premium IMO the slings are gonna be the #1 benefit that will make this game a #1 contender

Whats the setting on your slings? Mine are set to 32 from factory and they dont throw the ball into the outlanes. They work really good actually bouncing the ball back and forth alot with really good strength and throwing the ball not into outlanes. Also my table is set to 6.5degrees using Bubble Level app on my S6 and not getting hardly any outlane jumps. If your playing on location maybe the table is set up over 7 degrees and/or the slings adjusted to high.

#680 7 years ago

I played it at the show. I am guessing most everything was factory.

#681 7 years ago

I think the game plays fine... Frankly, as a home buyer, you want it to be tough. Ball times I had varied from quick to medium. Kept me on my toes.

Not sure if GB is a game I'll ever buy...but it was leaps and bounds more fun to play the TH (which could change as code gets improved).

#682 7 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I played it at the show. I am guessing most everything was factory.

Im wondering if game you played had old code. I only played 1 game on old code before i updated. Maybe Stern changed the sling default settings in the 1.04 update.

#683 7 years ago

This thread really took off for being half-assed...

Way to go, Levi!

#684 7 years ago
#685 7 years ago

I got my GB pro Friday, and have been playing a lot over the weekend. Overall I'm really enjoying the game. The light show and sounds are perhaps one of Sterns best. Yes, it's a little harder to keep the ball in play. I did tighten up the outlanes and that helped.

Unfortunately, I am seeing the same issues most everyone else is - balls sometime jump over the inlane guide, Slimer only registers strong direct hits, and the drop targets often don't register direct hits. I suspect Stern (or someone) will produce a fix for the inlane guides. I'm going to take apart slimer and see if the fix posted here will work (adjusting wire to the middle). And I may tighten the spring on the drops to see if that will help. Overall, I think these are pretty easy tweaks that should address the main issues.

I'm really enjoying mine, and can't wait to get home and play it some more.

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I suspect Stern (or someone) will produce a fix for the inlane guides.

You think so? I don't know aboot that...what do you think they could do?

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

The dots on this game are the best I have seen - EVER.

I would say some are. The animations of ecto 1 are dynamic and fun, but the "who brought the dog" stuff is pretty lame (hunchback woody allen).

I have also mentioned before how much the 3D rendered dots and the 2D (i am assuming) hand drawn) animations clash. More specifically the "Extra ball" screen. There is a huge contrast between the two.

#688 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You think so? I don't know aboot that...what do you think they could do?

Mezel mods posted his first attempt in his mod post. He stated that the color was just scrap material.

10409e0859cc773d8dd1a2bfd7f3ad61404edd8c_(resized).jpeg10409e0859cc773d8dd1a2bfd7f3ad61404edd8c_(resized).jpeg

#689 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Mezel mods posted his first attempt....

I'm not sure about that design. I saw a couple other suggestions in another thread that I thought would work better.

#690 7 years ago

Yeah it seems the easiest way would be taller guides guess we will see what people come up with

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Mezel mods posted his first attempt in his mod post. He stated that the color was just scrap material.

Man is that ugly. There's gotta be a better idea than that.

Stern should just redesign those guides.

#692 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

looks like some of the clear plastics on some of the EM's i've seen.

has anyone taken the time to pound the rails up from the back yet? Has anyone tried it? take you less than 1 min to do. You guys are all complaining when it could be a 1 min fix. TRY IT!

#693 7 years ago

How are the guides connected to the PF? Old school hammered in? I only take guides off EMs and it isn't always pretty...these seem to be easier but can you imagine the tears round here when you get a little chipping lifting them?

#694 7 years ago

rails like this are always just hammered in and poke through the back. Sometimes the hole doesn't always make it through that last layer of wood, but it's close and you should be able to find it. Pound it up from the back.

EM's are different because you are pulling them completely out. They have that butterfly on the end and can chip out the wood when fully taken out. These are smooth all the way through.

#695 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

They have that butterfly on the end and can chip out the wood when fully taken out. These are smooth all the way through.

That's what I was wondering...thanks!

#696 7 years ago

the tell tale sign that they have a butterfly is that if you look at the playfield closely around where the wire is. If it has a butterfly, you will see a dent on the top and bottom where the butterfly went into the wood. If it's perfect all the way around, it's a smooth wire.

#697 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:rails like this are always just hammered in and poke through the back. Sometimes the hole doesn't always make it through that last layer of wood, but it's close and you should be able to find it. Pound it up from the back.
EM's are different because you are pulling them completely out. They have that butterfly on the end and can chip out the wood when fully taken out. These are smooth all the way through.

This has not been a good idea on some games I have seen in the past! I would not recommend this...

#698 7 years ago

My wife and I got lots of games in on GB at Allentown. While we were liking the game at first and wowed by the artwork and terrific audio, that quickly wore off as we played games.

Do those drop targets require multiple hits to actually drop? I nailed them squarely and would get bricked and finally they would drop after a few clean direct hits - but rarely on the first hit.

Crazy airballs when hitting the left standup next to to the left ramp. God damned ball would fly the length of the game, thru the air, and land in the left outlane.

Plenty of balls that jumped the outlane rail and drained. Which just sucks.Had a few balls dribble out of the right saucer and into the right inlanes.

Just sucks losing balls that shouldn't be lost due to design issues. We had way more fun on GoT Pro and sent a check for one today. Could've been GB - but it wasn't. Also helping our decision is a local bar is getting a GB in a week or so. We'll give it another shot, but it's not like a code update can fix what we experienced.

#699 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Crazy airballs when hitting the left standup next to to the left ramp. God damned ball would fly the length of the game, thru the air, and land in the left outlan

The Canadian guys would just tell you to "play better".

rd

#700 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The Canadian guys would just tell you to "play better".
rd

RD, I am sure you have a No Fear, or at least know its a SR reference....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.