Topic Stats

• 1,084 posts
  • 207 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John1210
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 56 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F2000_(resized).JPG
ColorLED_(resized).jpg
Storage_(resized).jpg
Glo-Balls_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

There are 1084 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 22.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

You basically just pegged every single pinball game ever made.

Really? Every single pinball game is "frustrating and gets old very fast?"

For you maybe. I've been playing my Stern Stars for months and can't get enough, along with Corvette, AFM, and a bunch of other games. None of the games I own are 'frustrating" and I have 15 of them.

#552 4 years ago

The nice thing about having a loaded game with great artwork, sound, and DMD animations is that the gameplay doesn't have to be as stellar to still have a really good game.

I also expect that between code updates, factory corrections and modders, the kinks will be figured out and that some of these initial growing pains will be non-issues.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The nice thing about having a loaded game with great artwork, sound, and DMD animations is that the gameplay doesn't have to be as stellar to still have a really good game.

I couldn't disagree with you more...and that idea actually is kind of sad.

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

So... pinball is more of a fashion statement then actual gameplay?

With that logic, lets just have a crap playing game with cool hand drawn artwork, a big ass HD LCD monitor, and some fancy THX or Dolby sound system and call it a day. I hope pinball doesn't end up like that.

#555 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I couldn't disagree with you more...and that idea actually is kind of sad.

I'm not saying those other aspects will make a game with really crappy gameplay a winner. However, game play can be somewhat tuned to personal preference. If GB is not enjoyable because it's too tough, things can be done to correct this. Artwork is forever.

It may be sad that games come out of the factory with shortcomings, like inlane rails that are too low, but time and again we see these types of problems fixed by one way or another.

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've been playing my Stern Stars for months and can't get enough

Man, I love Stars. I finally have a reason to like you

#557 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm not saying those other aspects will make a game with really crappy gameplay a winner. However, game play can be somewhat tuned to personal preference. If GB is not enjoyable because it's too tough, things can be done to correct this. Artwork is forever.
It may be sad that games come out of the factory with shortcomings, like inlane rails that are too low, but time and again we see these types of problems fixed by one way or another.

I think Artwork and Theme are important factors on location and this is what pulls the player to a game, after that it's all about the gameplay. If there is no appeal to the pin then it will be over looked, the Home environment is totally different and is filled with people who collect machines for various reasons.

Opinions on gameplay are subjective, we see this in the ratings, but there is always a majority that feels one way or another, it's up to the individual to decide for themselves what they like.

If GB plays half as nice as it looks it will be a real winner, I myself cannot wait to play and am looking forward to the LE/Premium stream tomorrow

#558 4 years ago

Gameplay only gets you so far; its all about the rules & code! Otherwise, every fan layout out there would be as stellar as MM, ACDC, LoTR, MET, etc...

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Those nude selfies didn't do it for you, huh?

#560 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Gameplay only gets you so far; its all about the rules & code! Otherwise, every fan layout out there would be as stellar as MM, ACDC, LoTR, MET, etc...

Gets a little tricky there as I count that as part of gameplay.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yep, I put the importance of the actual layout at about 60%. It's what the software does with the shots in regards to light shows, sound, game progression and rewards that make the modern era games fun.

Exceptions being cheap drains that can't be adjusted out. Like scoops that shoot the ball right down the middle. Or, if the slimer toy is required to advance in the game but has to be hit straight on to register and the result is a 50% chance of SDTM or outlane drain, then no bueno.

However, if it can be made more sensitive so glancing shots register or backhand shots are safe, then at least you have a fighting chance.

#562 4 years ago

The more I hear people clamoring for tough games with short ball times, the more I keep thinking they would enjoy some of the early solid state games. Those games can be fast and have simple to understand but tough to achieve rulesets. I think that was a time when playfield layout was a lot more important to game enjoyment.

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Did you guys know there is a Stern Stars in the firehouse on Ghost Busters?

#564 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Did you guys know there is a Stern Stars in the firehouse on Ghost Busters?

Yep, Just like the movie

#565 4 years ago

I thought that was Stargazer?

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought hat was Stargazer?

Well it sure as heck isn't Stars (displays in the wrong spot).

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Gets a little tricky there as I count that as part of gameplay.

Yeah, gameplay = code + layout.

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I just had a look. Stargazer was correct. TheLaw wins.

#569 4 years ago

Oh, maybe it is Stargazer, hell it has the word star in it!

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Oh, maybe it is Stargazer, hell it has the word star in it!

LittleGBPinball_(resized).jpg

(and I love Stargazer too, but I've never had the opportunity to own it)

#571 4 years ago

Yes its Stargazer...Didn't register when I read it that he typed Stern Stars

FirehouseSecondFloor02_zpscrmjb0pm_(resized).jpg

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Yeah I was gonna say I looked in the firehouse plastic and it didn't look familiar. Possibly stargazer.

As an aside, both Stargazer and Stars have longer ball times than a stock Ghostbusters.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As an aside, both Stargazer and Stars have longer ball times than a stock Ghostbusters.

While I comedically agree with you, as we had a Stars in the finals I can report Stars games where a bit shorter.

IF GB had no ball saves GB would be quicker by a good margin though.

#574 4 years ago

This review contains at least three quarters of an ass by now.

#575 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

This review contains at least three quarters of an ass by now.

True, but the last 1/4 is the biggest for a lot of people; and that's how it plays in the home.
I have said the game I played has been beyond brutal, but till I get mine and really get some plays on it, whom knows.

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

True, but the last 1/4 is the biggest for a lot of people; and that's how it plays in the home.
I have said the game I played has been beyond brutal, but till I get mine and really get some plays on it, whom knows.

That's true. That last quarter ass is for YOU, the reader to supply.

I'll be the first to say I'm not great on first impressions in pinball. I mean, some games like Addams Family I loved from game one, or like Spiderman thought was kind of average on first try, and haven't changed my mind. But I hated Walking Dead the first time I played it and now I think it's great (of course that's also several software revs later).

SO what I'm saying is...get your ass up to the plate, and supply some more ass for all of us. I really like reviews beyond "I paid $6500 for this and I love it!"

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

While I comedically agree with you, as we had a Stars in the finals I can report Stars games where a bit shorter.
IF GB had no ball saves GB would be quicker by a good margin though.

5-ball or 3 ball on that Stars finals match? Was the 100,000 point shot in play?

Stars fuggin' RULES!

#578 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

5-ball or 3 ball on that Stars finals match? Was the 100,000 point shot in play?
Stars fuggin' RULES!

The bigger question is did the center post ball transfer work?

#579 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stars fuggin' RULES!

3 balls, VERY rough set up. I don't think the 100K is active...I've only seen a few over 200K scores on that thing. Can't say I remember the red special light lit.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yes, that actually works on both the Stars I play on.

#580 4 years ago

So this thread is telling me that I need to get a Stars. I agree completely.

Ron...

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stars fuggin' RULES!

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

On mine it works sometimes, others it doesn't. I guess it depends on which way the building is leaning that day.

I've kind of given up on it anyway. I prefer an alley pass/shatz - as a matter of fact doing that to build up my bonus has become a huge part of my strategy. Yeah, getting all the stars and lighting spinner and 100,000 is great but much of the time it feels like chasing the dragon. Since I've focused on alley pass, building up my bonus and 2x 3x my consistent scores have gotten much better on Stars.

Problem with Bowen videos is as good as they are, people watch them and think there's only one way to play the game.

#582 4 years ago

Play the game as it is..dnt buy it if you suck at pinball, then complain about it...wa,wa,wa....you want easy buy 70's early 80's machines...pinball should not be easy..no challange ,no battle, no fun...can't wait for my premiumn...I hope it is difficult and very challangeing!!!

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from jroakland:

Play the game as it is..dnt buy it if you suck at pinball, then complain about it...wa,wa,wa....you want easy buy 70's early 80's machines...pinball should not be easy..no challange ,no battle, no fun...can't wait for my premiumn...I hope it is difficult and very challangeing!!!

No one wants easy - people want a *fair* challenge and not a game that's actively fucking them due to design flaws. Sometimes just a few minor things can drag a game from "Fun" to "Frustrating". Balls flying into the drain from drop targets is a design issue. Balls hopping guides into the drain is a design issue. Straight down the middle from the pops is a design issue. There's a reason games like Dr. Who has a ball save from the Time Expander release...cuz it often goes STDM, and it's an unfair design flaw that the software is compensating for. Same reason JP has a ball save if the raptor kickback sends it STDM.

#584 4 years ago

Fair yet challenging I would like most games too...well said rare hero

#585 4 years ago

Yeah fair but challenging is the best of both worlds luckily it seems in the home environment with some tweaks this should be attainable.

#586 4 years ago

So, so far everybody who either already owns one - or apparently had already paid for one and is waiting for the game - has no problems with any of the issues people who have only played it but don't own it have talked about.

Maybe stern is just shipping the weird ones to operators.

#587 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, so far everybody who either already owns one - or apparently had already paid for one and is waiting for the game - has no problems with any of the issues people have only played but don't own it have talked about.

Or maybe this pin is like ACDC and TWD and needs to be setup near perfectly to avoid frustration?
I doubt even a perfect setup would fix the ball jumping the outlane dividers, but otherwise it seems as though the major complaint is simply: "it's too difficult".
That could be fixed by playing the snot out of it and learning the shots, couldn't it?

Nothing on order. Yet. I expect that will change after tomorrow's reveal though.
Dying to see the slings and goggles in action.

#588 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think that owners around here probably took more care in setup and making the little necessary adjustments. I talk about it on my road trip show (which I'll publish tonight), but at the launch party there were two machines. One played very smoothly and nice, the other was a nightmare with jumping balls and such.

#589 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, so far everybody who either already owns one - or apparently had already paid for one and is waiting for the game - has no problems with any of the issues people who have only played it but don't own it have talked about.

My Premium is paid in full - and clearly I'm skeptical.

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My Premium is paid in full - and clearly I'm skeptical.

Touche.

People keep comparing this to AC/DC and TWD but THose games - even if setups vary - are learnable for a good player. I can play a few games on ANY TWD and start putting up big scores once I learn how it's leaning, where the bounces are etc.

#591 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No one wants easy - people want a *fair* challenge and not a game that's actively fucking them due to design flaws. Sometimes just a few minor things can drag a game from "Fun" to "Frustrating". Balls flying into the drain from drop targets is a design issue. Balls hopping guides into the drain is a design issue. Straight down the middle from the pops is a design issue. There's a reason games like Dr. Who has a ball save from the Time Expander release...cuz it often goes STDM, and it's an unfair design flaw that the software is compensating for. Same reason JP has a ball save if the raptor kickback sends it STDM.

On the game I played the other day, the left scoop would fire the ball SDTM sometimes. And yeah, the drop targets can be annoying when they reject a ball and send it screaming back at warp factor 5.

Rob

#592 4 years ago
Quoted from Gizmonic:

So this thread is telling me that I need to get a Stars...

A lot of the guys on Pinside would do well to buy themselves a classic, challenging Solid State game like Stars, Meteor, Mata Hari .. The list goes on ...

A game doesn't need to have the kitchen sink glued to the Playfield to be fun.

rd

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

A game doesn't need to have the kitchen sink glued to the Playfield to be fun.

A toilet did absolutely nothing for SP.

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

A toilet did absolutely nothing for SP.

What about Austin Powers?

rd

#595 4 years ago

So the local Ghostbusters has started (rarely for now) sending the ball STDM from the left Spooked Librarian scoop.

Why can't Stern figure this out? Kiss, Metallica, and now GB...constant issues with inconsistent shots from their scoops and ejects. Williams managed to pull this off decades ago (well, maybe except Dr Who and Jackbot) and Stern just can't seem to get it right. Incredibly obnoxious losing balls or having to sacrifice a tilt warning or two just to keep a ball in play that has no business being drained.

COME ON MAN!

An ejected ball should go the same place every time, and they certainly should NEVER result in an unsaveable drain.This is just a basic rule.

#596 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So the local Ghostbusters has started (rarely for now) sending the ball STDM from the left Spooked Librarian scoop.
Why can't Stern figure this out? Kiss, Metallica, and now GB...constant issues with inconsistent shots from their scoops and ejects. Williams managed to pull this off decades ago (well, maybe except Dr Who and Jackbot) and Stern just can't seem to get it right. Incredibly obnoxious losing balls or having to sacrifice a tilt warning or two just to keep a ball in play that has no business being drained.
COME ON MAN!
An ejected ball should go the same place every time, and they certainly should NEVER result in an unsaveable drain.This is just a basic rule.

My MET has never done this, either from the snake or mystery hole. Could it be the machine is just not leveled correctly?

#597 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Every time? That's never been possible. Most times? Sure. But no game was ever 100% consistent on feeds from scoops or saucers. It's why every time you play an AFM you need to see how the SoL scoop is going to feed to the flippers and if bounce overs are possible or if you need to live catch and then from there you need to find out if it's going to be consistent.

Quoted from kpg:

My MET has never done this, either from the snake or mystery hole. Could it be the machine is just not leveled correctly?

Metallica is notorious for the snake spitting the ball down the middle or into the slings at the worst times possible.

#598 4 years ago

Our Metallica scoop shot the ball down the middle on day 1.
Game was not out of level.
We had to make a new screw hole and adjust the angle.
Has now been working great every game.
Not complaining, just stating that it does happen.
The snake has never been a problem.

#599 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Metallica is notorious for the snake spitting the ball down the middle or into the slings at the worst times possible.

Quoted from Arcade:

Our Metallica scoop shot the ball down the middle on day 1.
Game was not out of level.
We had to make a new screw hole and adjust the angle.
Has now been working great every game.
Not complaining, just stating that it does happen.

Interesting - I had lots of problems with my NIB MET when it arrived, but I can tell you, after around 800 games or so, the snake has always and consistently shot to the left flipper and never anywhere else. Same with the mystery scoop. I feel lucky now

#600 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Every time? That's never been possible. Most times? Sure. But no game was ever 100% consistent on feeds from scoops or saucers.

AFM, Whirlwind, Addams...the list goes on. Every time. The same spot, or a completely insignificant difference in placement.

A mm or two difference? Maybe. But no comparison to the like of Metallica, KISS, and now GB, where it seems like you never know where the hell the ball is going to go.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
Sale Pending!
York, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Hampton Roads, VA
$ 12.99
There are 1084 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 22.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside