image_(resized).png
stern-ghostbusterspro-cabinetlf-01xjpg-0d86a0_765w_copy_(resized).jpg
am_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
scotty_take_it_down_a_notch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160528_101331_(resized).jpg
20160528_101348_(resized).jpg

There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 22.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from dug:

First thing I would do is change out the balls!

Forgot that, that's always the first thing I do .. already have some PBL oh shiny's ready to go

#502 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wife and kids had no interest in my TWD but they want to play GB! It needs to be set up as "playable" for the stiffs.

Same here! Wife and kids gave up on TWD very quick.

Installed Yoyocopter's post extender things and now its their favorite pin to play, and mine. Funny, how a $20 mod can change your $6300 game from extremely frustrating and wanting to sell it, to never wanting it to leave your house.

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Do you think with the out lane posts in the middle, those scores are unattainable?

The issue isn't scores, it's content. This goes back to the original complaints that the linear modes and unforgiving drain design isn't conducive to the amount of content in the game. Why is Dwight wasting his time programming all these story based modes if NO player will ever get to see them ever? Most casual players don't care about scores...they care about progressing and seeing/hearing the game content. Too this day I can't tell you what a LotR scoring strategy might be, but my goal is to play thru the story...the scores land where they may.

Now that many people have played the game, it's become very clear - the drain-monster design does not lend itself to the content that's been programmed into the game. Stern should do something to address this, or you're going to see almost everyone doing various things to make the game more fair. Not easy...but fair. Ghostbusters, with its wide demographic appeal and story based structure, needs to be fun, not frustrating.

#504 7 years ago

Searching for yoyocopter post extenders didn't reveal any helpful posts/links on where to find these. Anyone have the info/link?

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Searching for yoyocopter post extenders didn't reveal any helpful posts/links on where to find these. Anyone have the info/link?

Unfortunately, the design of them will only word for TWD and not GB.. hoping someone makes some versions of them for GB. You will need to PM 'yoyokopter' for his TWD post extenders if looking for them

#506 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The issue isn't scores, it's content. This goes back to the original complaints that the linear modes and unforgiving drain design isn't conducive to the amount of content in the game. Why is Dwight wasting his time programming all these story based modes if NO player will ever get to see them ever? Most casual players don't care about scores...they care about progressing and seeing/hearing the game content. Too this day I can't tell you what a LotR scoring strategy might be, but my goal is to play thru the story...the scores land where they may.
Now that many people have played the game, it's become very clear - the drain-monster design does not lend itself to the content that's been programmed into the game. Stern should do something to address this, or you're going to see almost everyone doing various things to make the game more fair. Not easy...but fair. Ghostbusters, with its wide demographic appeal and story based structure, needs to be fun, not frustrating.

I have to admit, I totally agree with you here. I can't help but think Lyman would have coded this perfectly for such a brutal table. Look how difficult TWD is from a raw materials/playfield standpoint, but Lyman's code just knocked it out of the park. If Dwight coded TWD instead and had implemented a story based/linear mode start set up on it, kind of like how GB is.. it wouldn't be nearly as great. I just have to be completely honest here.. GB should not be more brutal then TWD based on theme alone, yet it seems it is. Sucks for location players, but glad i'll have one in my house to really tone it down a bunch to make it fun and not want to kick a hole in the backglass.

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Here you go. They are great! : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/save-post-for-twd

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I have to admit, I totally agree with you here. I can't help but think Lyman would have coded this perfectly for such a brutal table.

Nah, I wouldn't make this a Lyman vs. Dwight thing...honestly the code for this game looks really good, but the design of the drains is fighting against it and perhaps Stern didn't realize how incredibly difficult this design was until it was "too late". Designs like Metallica, Iron Man, and TWD don't really show story type mode inserts on the playfield - so Lyman really had completely freedom to design the game any way that worked best. On GB, the modes are all on the playfield already, so the code has to roll with that.

#509 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah, I wouldn't make this a Lyman vs. Dwight thing...honestly the code for this game looks really good, but the design of the drains is fighting against it and perhaps Stern didn't realize how incredibly difficult this design was until it was "too late". Designs like Metallica, Iron Man, and TWD don't really show story type mode inserts on the playfield - so Lyman really had completely freedom to design the game any way that worked best. On GB, the modes are all on the playfield already, so the code has to roll with that.

You definitely have a point. I guess I'm a Lyman fan so I can't help but think that.. I know the code will get better, and by easing up the physical part of the game should allow more opportunities to see more of the game as I learn to play it better. If it means anything, Dwight is my second favorite coder

#510 7 years ago

OK, I've played it in a launch party(which I won!) and more today. The game is awesome! Yes, there are some cheap drains that will aggravate. But the game just rocks. The light in my head went off today about midway through a 2 hour session. Modes are fun, BUT they are not the path to great scores on GB. You must concentrate on MB's. And while in MB, concentrate on add-a-balls and multipliers. I played about 10 games today and here are my two best scores. Location games, everything is factory.

Also, PLEASE, for the love of GOD, inspect the balls that come with the game before tossing them like an idiot. I have unboxed 2 GB's in the last week and the balls are perfect! They look just like(and possibly are) PBL ooooh shiny's.

20160502_145030_(resized).jpg20160502_145030_(resized).jpg

20160502_153301_(resized).jpg20160502_153301_(resized).jpg

#511 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hilarious. My wife had enough of my new Indy 500 after a few plays.
Wife and kids had no interest in my TWD but they want to play GB! It needs to be set up as "playable" for the stiffs.

I500 is damn tough and I miss mine. Dead flips, post passes and lots of flipper control needed. No time to nudge. My kind of game.

Everyone else hated it.

#512 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I would just adjust the outlane post to the lowest position if the game is playing too difficult. Problem solved.

Personally I much rather have a deep progression based ruleset like Dwight is doing for Ghostbusters compared to a points focused ruleset such as that on say ACDC. Progression based rulesets are far more interesting in my opinion.

#513 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

OK, I've played it in a launch party(which I won!) and more today. The game is awesome! Yes, there are some cheap drains that will aggravate. But the game just rocks. The light in my head went off today about midway through a 2 hour session. Modes are fun, BUT they are not the path to great scores on GB. You must concentrate on MB's. And while in MB, concentrate on add-a-balls and multipliers. I played about 10 games today and here are my two best scores. Location games, everything is factory.
Also, PLEASE, for the love of GOD, inspect the balls that come with the game before tossing them like an idiot. I have unboxed 2 GB's in the last week and the balls are perfect! They look just like(and possibly are) PBL ooooh shiny's.

20160502_145030_(resized).jpg20160502_153301_(resized).jpg

What this means is Stern is Challenging us, to learn to play a new game in a new way!

Now add this to the Premium....Holy Sh*t! One crazy game....!

Multiballs with Multipliers and Magna Slings, while playing add a ball!

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would just adjust the outlane post to the lowest position if the game is playing too difficult. Problem solved.
Personally I much rather have a deep progression based ruleset like Dwight is doing for Ghostbusters compared to a points focused ruleset such as that on say ACDC. Progression based rulesets are far more interesting in my opinion.

I agree. Whereas some people are pointing out that seeing the same modes over and over, like "We Got One" and "Who Brought the Dog" gets old, the flip side is that you really feel a sense of accomplishment when you get to see a mode farther up the ladder like "The Ballroom" or "Gozer the Gozerian". I really like the fact that the next mode is immediately available IF you finish the previous mode. It rewards good play. And frankly, the first mode in each tree is pretty easy to complete. They do get progressively harder, but they also score higher as well. Someone else pointed out that if there is nothing lit at the moment, the only thing to do is go for the dangerous GHOST target to bring down Slimer and then bash Slimer. NOT TRUE. One of my favorite things to do in the game is loop the left ramp over and over to build the value(can't remember the name) and then bail out and hit the yellow stand-ups to collect the value. I've seen this value as high as 30M so far.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I really like the fact that the next mode is immediately available IF you finish the previous mode. It rewards good play.

That's pretty awesome - I noticed that on a few gameplay videos...does the next mode start immediately as the previous is finished, or do you have to hit the shot again to start it?

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I agree. Whereas some people are pointing out that seeing the same modes over and over, like "We Got One" and "Who Brought the Dog" gets old, the flip side is that you really feel a sense of accomplishment when you get to see a mode farther up the ladder like "The Ballroom" or "Gozer the Gozerian". I really like the fact that the next mode is immediately available IF you finish the previous mode. It rewards good play. And frankly, the first mode in each tree is pretty easy to complete. They do get progressively harder, but they also score higher as well. Someone else pointed out that if there is nothing lit at the moment, the only thing to do is go for the dangerous GHOST target to bring down Slimer and then bash Slimer. NOT TRUE. One of my favorite things to do in the game is loop the left ramp over and over to build the value(can't remember the name) and then bail out and hit the yellow stand-ups to collect the value. I've seen this value as high as 30M so far.

Any tips on hitting the Ghost target in a way that won't result in SDTM? From the videos I've seen it seems using the left flipper almost always results in SDTM, but from the right flipper, although a much tougher shot, is safer.

#517 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Any tips on hitting the Ghost target in a way that won't result in SDTM? From the videos I've seen it seems using the left flipper almost always results in SDTM, but from the right flipper, although a much tougher shot, is safer.

I find hitting the left half of the ghost target works best for me, if its dead center or I cram it hard into the right side, it feels like it always fires back at me down the middle

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Huh. And here I was trying to control the ball and make all my shots (which often sends the ball sailing into the outlanes anyway if your shots happen to be slimer, anywhere near a pop bumper, or a drop target) and all i had to do was lower those posts two notches and add some cliffy post rubbers?
I like sanctimonious "play better" bullshit as much as the next guy (I'm a huge fan of STTNG and I think outlane extenders are lame), but I really hate when people post brag scores on altered, non factory games. I'm not impressed.

the game has explosive scoring... its a bit like GOT in that respect.. you'll struggle to get a score 1/20th of a good score.. then bam.. you put up something 10-20x your average.

#519 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Too this day I can't tell you what a LotR scoring strategy might be, but my goal is to play thru the story...the scores land where they may.

Shockingly, I can't either. However, LOTR is an exception because of the story the game tells. I can always tell you how long it has been since I destroyed the ring, or completed one of the multiballs. Score is secondary to the quest in that game.

I had some of the same issues with GB that CrazyLevi did. But I think my biggest issue is still other games that are more fun to me. IM is brutal, but the ruleset fits it. Every game needs to match the rules to the physical play of the game, and GB feels a bit schitzophrenic to me because they don't match up. It seems to have a medium depth ruleset matched with a brutal playfield, so it just doesn't feel "right" to me.

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Game is great, and most people that have played it (including myself) are giving it very high grades.
Even great games have a few negative Nancy's that complain about them.

Yeah but you are a grown man who says he collects children's GB toys... so OF COURSE you'll say it's the greatest thing ever. I like to hear ALL the opinions. Especially from people that don't have an obvious agenda.

And I wouldn't worry about Levi's observations... I doubt if it will cause all the aging baby boomers wallets to snap shut all at once

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Safest way I've found is either backhand it, or shoot it during the ballsaver. But the best use of the ballsaver is to smack the left captive ball to light locks on the ramp.

#522 7 years ago

Something cool I noticed today. If you earn the "hold bonus" award on you last ball, it is NOT a worthless award like you would think. When I drained, it counted off my bonus, then did it all over again!

#523 7 years ago

Finally played a pro today ! Freakin loved it! It's a different feel! And different look, and different. Shots. I was surprised small everything was compared to the videos or pics. The balls even seemed smaller than normal! Such tight shots! Really really like it and yes got my ass handed to me. Perfect for home use!

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Best scores I had were a couple 500 plus and my mic drop, time to go home and eat gefilte fish game of 950.

I had to read this 5 times to figure out WTFU were trying to say.

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's pretty awesome - I noticed that on a few gameplay videos...does the next mode start immediately as the previous is finished, or do you have to hit the shot again to start it?

Starts immediately. One of the reasons your earlier post about content makes no sense Since you can go depth or breadth first on the modes people will see plenty. The early ones on the ladder are not even that difficult. I am awful at pinball and was easily able to bring multiball into a mode and plow my way up the ladder and almost got to Marshmallow Man.

At least play the game before having all these epic who-coded-it/how-it-could-be-better hot takes.

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It just doesn't seem very fun at this point. But right now it's just very frustrating and gets old fast.

You basically just pegged every single pinball game ever made. None are super fun for hours and hours and hours or days and days of play. They all get old pretty fast. That's why the used pinball market is so busy. I love it when folks spend $8k+ on the next greatest Stern LE title because I know I'll be able to buy the same game (HUO w/400 plays) 6 months later for $2000- $3000 less. Or maybe $4000 less in 12 months.

#527 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

You basically just pegged every single pinball game ever made. None are super fun for hours and hours and hours or days and days of play. They all get old pretty fast. That's why the used pinball market is so busy. I love it when folks spend $8k+ on the next greatest Stern LE because I know I'll be able to buy the same game (HUO) 6 months later for $2000- $3000 less.

Yeah I think your dreaming a little bit there more like 500 to a grand tops cheaper maybe if your lucky someone will throw in a some mods for free.

#528 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Yeah I think your dreaming a little bit there more like 500 to a grand tops cheaper maybe if your lucky someone will throw in a some mods for free.

GOT LE is selling for around $6k now. I don't think I'm too far off.

#529 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

GOT LE is selling for around $6k now. I don't think I'm too far off.

Maybe some HUO GOT premiums but not LE's, not even close.

#530 7 years ago

Those ads with the premium/le could be throwing people off

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

I am awful at pinball and was easily able to bring multiball into a mode and plow my way up the ladder and almost got to Marshmallow Man.

That just doesn't make sense new guy. You are awful at pinball, yet found it easy to bring multiballs into modes and plow up the ladder... On Ghostbusters? At that rate of awful you should win PAPA next year, or be frozen as a dupe. One of the two.

#532 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Safest way I've found is either backhand it, or shoot it during the ballsaver. But the best use of the ballsaver is to smack the left captive ball to light locks on the ramp.

Interesting- that's the same strategy I use with TWD. During ball save I try and initially open the prison doors, because more times than not the prison will end up with a SDTM. Also, I like to hit those drop targets during ball save. I think GB is going to be a great fit for us seeing that TWD is our current favorite. I'm willing to bet the same people who have complaints with GB also don't like TWD.

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

You basically just pegged every single pinball game ever made. None are super fun for hours and hours and hours or days and days of play. They all get old pretty fast. That's why the used pinball market is so busy. I love it when folks spend $8k+ on the next greatest Stern LE title because I know I'll be able to buy the same game (HUO w/400 plays) 6 months later for $2000- $3000 less. Or maybe $4000 less in 12 months.

With your logic, GB LE will be $5-6,000 in 6 months, or even $4K in 1 year?

Brother.. What in the shit are you smoking

#534 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Got my game dialed for location play. Dropped right Outlane, adjusted slimey, fixed stupid drop target bounce, pulled flippers up, adjusted multiball timer and increased ball save and the game is sweet. This game needs a sh$t load of tuning from the box otherwise it plays way too crazy.

Wheres it going would love to drop a few quarters in it before decide which to get.

#535 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Been said so many times before. If you're too hung up on the money side of things then you're in the wrong hobby.

#536 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You must concentrate on MB's. And while in MB, concentrate on add-a-balls and multipliers.

This is true of a lot of the hard games - TWD, Metallica for example. You need the multiballs to get good ball save time, the few bonus balls (that the multiball gives you), and some possible add-a-balls. This compensates for the difficult layout and allows you to take the risky shots you need to score.

Combine this with some PF multipliers and possible mode stacking and the scoring opens up.

The problem if this type of game is combined with a strong mode based story type of game is that you never appreciate the mode itself because it can often be running during a crazy multiball.

Im not sure GB is really trying to be a story/mode type of game. As Dave H sais, its a little schizophrenic. Its a bit of a hybrid, not really linear story modes, but not just a strategy point scoring game either. Fantastic for players/collectors, just not sure how long the average location player will keep pumping coins in before they give up.

#537 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you watched the JD live stream a while back you saw a huge score get racked up by Dwight because he knew how to get the huge bonus multipliers!
The scoring is way out of balance right now. Hopefully Dwight tightens that up.

They've already started doing that.

For instance, you won't be getting 90 million on that ESP video mode anymore.

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Something cool I noticed today. If you earn the "hold bonus" award on you last ball, it is NOT a worthless award like you would think. When I drained, it counted off my bonus, then did it all over again!

Don't all games with hold bonus do this on last ball, going back to High Speed?

#539 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I second this. My TWD Premium I got a month or so ago had really nice pinballs. Very clean, shiny, no nicks. Looks like Stern might've run out of the rusty grungy ones.

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Looks like Stern might've run out of the rusty grungy ones.

I don't know, how old is he now? I can't imagine them getting any better as he ages.

#541 7 years ago

Got to play a few games last night. Over all I really like it, looks great lots of fun. On the negative side they have to fix the left lanes, only played a handful of games and twice had the ball jump over the left lane and drain.

#542 7 years ago

i dropped my out lane posts last night, but actually checked my audits after and saw that the left out lane was slightly higher drains than the right, but nothing compared to center drains (3 to 4 times higher). The out lane drains just feel cheap sometimes, and more so after the ball goes nuts in the slings. If anything, I'm betting the slings on the premium/LE will be nicer to deal with with than these cranked up Pro slings. Also, I see the slings power can be reduced in the menu, but i have not done this... has anybody else reduced the sling power and had positive results?

#543 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What this means is Stern is Challenging us, to learn to play a new game in a new way!

That is exactly what I said to one of my co-players on Friday. I'm an old dog, so learning new tricks is hard, but I'm willing to give it a try.

#544 7 years ago

Am I the only person that likes a pin to kick you in the nuts and dare you to come back for more?

I have a short attention span . I guess I prefer brutal games with short ball times.

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I guess you could say the same thing aboot W/B and lightening flippers...but of course they where specifically made to screw over the player and make more monies.

#546 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Am I the only person that likes a pin to kick you in the nuts and dare you to come back for more?
I have a short attention span . I guess I prefer brutal games with short ball times.

For me, I'm so excited to get to the higher scenes on the ladder, when I get a new one lit and start the scene, and then drain it before i can finish it, its like "Uggggggggggggggggh". it keeps me coming back. Last night i was getting further than i had before, and kept telling myself, OK, 1 more game and then I'm going to bed. 90 minutes later I'm still playing! I started having some pretty good games towards the end of the night. it was hard to walk away from it.

#547 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

And with that, I'll bow out of this thread in the most Canadian way possible. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, and I will buy the first round if we ever meet up at the SCS Nationals.

"You’re saying things like "hey buddy” and “hey guy” because now that you’re older, you’re discovering that someone who was once your buddy is now your guy. And someone who you used to call guy is quickly becoming....your friend."

#548 7 years ago

Nice to see an updated review from the OP. Kind of what I wondered would possibly happen after the hype slowed down. Gonna have to really watch the game develop more, and read more reviews after guys have owned it a while before I buy. Still on the fence, and it still looks fun, but for how long.

#549 7 years ago

At least the lines to play it at Allentown this weekend should move along quickly.

#550 7 years ago

I am going to have to agree with RareHero...I have 0 issue with hard games(love Iron Man) but there is so much to explore in this game you should at least have a fighting chance of making it near the end. It will be interesting to see how the Prem/LE plays, maybe those magna slings won't be so bad after all

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
There are 1,084 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.