image (resized).jpg
IMG_3124 (resized).JPG
IMG_3123 (resized).JPG
d862050e8cfc4b05efaedac62699dd8d9bef996e (resized).jpg
IMGA0641[1] (resized).JPG
IMGA0595[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_2996 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 554 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
#102 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Sony isn't coming after u for a $1k u might make on a few mods...

you are right about that. it's more $tern probably working on something. Scared of what? a mod that cost a few dollars, something they used to have on the machine, cost cutting but higher price for a lot less.

it's funny, because we are making pocket money to help buy their next pinball.

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Well the fun was taken out of this thread due to people who wanted to share their creative sides with mods and creative additions for Ghostbusters have been sent warnings to cease selling. .

Guys,

We go through this exact same thing every time a new licensed game comes out.

If you don't get permission to use a licensed theme, you are going to get a C&D.

This is not news, and you can't act surprised.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

it's funny, because we are making pocket money to help buy their next pinball.

Even if you give it away for free, you still have to get permission.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Even if you give it away for free, you still have to get permission.

and i agree with you, my point is, it's not like we are criminals, we are just having fun.
instead of sending notices, why not ask us if we want to work something out with them, we all know it's not going to happen... it's all about the benjamins.

and how many ideas did stern stole? back in the days and now?

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

and i agree with you, my point is, it's not like we are criminals, we are just having fun.
instead of sending notices, why not ask us if we want to work something out with them, we all know it's not going to happen... it's all about the benjamins.

When Stern signs up as a licensor, they agree to enforce the licensee's copyright.

So if they see an infringement, they have to tell you to C&D.

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When Stern signs up as a licensor, they agree to enforce the licensee's copyright.

i get that... but.

''instead of sending notices, why not ask us if we want to work something out with them, we all know it's not going to happen...''

''and how many ideas did stern stole? back in the days and now?''

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Guys,
We go through this exact same thing every time a new licensed game comes out.
If you don't get permission to use a licensed theme, you are going to get a C&D.
This is not news, and you can't act surprised.

I am not surprised and like before stated very similar to the point you are pushing but what has been told to me they also said not to make anything for the GB pinball - eg like an alternative cover for the cable wrap on the slimer post, my point is how is this a infringement on copyright?

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

...eg like an alternative cover for the cable wrap on the slimer post, my point is how is this a infringement on copyright?

it's not, can't be and makes no sense at all. it's not related in anyway with the license.
does that mean we can't put green rubber band in the game? or fabricate green el wires to put in the game?

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I am not surprised and like before stated very similar to the point you are pushing but what has been told to me they also said not to make anything for the GB pinball - eg like an alternative cover for the cable wrap on the slimer post, my point is how is this a infringement on copyright?

Simple Swinks. It's not...

#112 8 years ago

Just make a Tom Petty shooter rod.....

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

They can't prevent you from making something that could be used on the game if it's not infringing on a license. If that's what they are saying it is absurd.

#114 8 years ago

I know and understand you all but that was my only argument, I totally get that we are not allowed to do something with a licence plate, or the ghost busters logo but apparently what was said is not allowed to make "anything" for a GB pinball which is my argument - that this part was crap

done n dusted, solved, confirmed what I thought and agree with all........

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

They can't prevent you from making something that could be used on the game if it's not infringing on a license. If that's what they are saying it is absurd.

You got that right, once I buy the game I can paint it pink with purple poka dots if I want to. Same with my Mustang, Ford can't tell me I can't put different rims and a bigger motor in it. If I want the "official" Ford logo valve covers on it I'll have to pay more dollars for them compaired to cheaper generic covers that look the same but without the Ford logo. They can't tell me what to do with the game I bought.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I know and understand you all but that was my only argument, I totally get that we are not allowed to do something with a licence plate, or the ghost busters logo but apparently what was said is not allowed to make "anything" for a GB pinball which is my argument - that this part was crap

Swinks, can you look at my PM

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

i'm guessing anything involving the movies you can't, ecto, slimer, logo and everything else.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

PF already seems cluttered from the get go so I'd add stuff with extreme caution

Agreed. Im betting overkill on this pin will happen tho with crap everywhere on the pf like some twd's going around that just look plain ridiculous... but each to their own.

This pin is loaded. I'm going to be very careful with any additions i make.

#119 8 years ago

You can do with your machine ANYTHING you want; however, when your take proprietary material and sell it in the marketplace you will have to be licensed to do so.

You can talk trash about Stern all you want, but when it comes down to it they are making deals with the right people to get things done. This costs a lot of money and they are due their investment back. If you want to do the same you must make the deal or simply team up with them if you want to use licensed material.

I will be happy with my GBLE as it comes. I will add mods that I make or are licensed if needed. The subwoofer, colordmd, and better speakers will be off the shelf. It's all good!

#120 8 years ago

Swinks and I worked it out, I do the mod ideas, Stern doesn't have me make other people's mods. So I am the accountable one if someone is unhappy with what I make. You can always PM me for a discussion.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Agreed. Im betting overkill on this pin will happen tho with crap everywhere on the pf like some twd's going around that just look plain ridiculous... but each to their own.
This pin is loaded. I'm going to be very careful with any additions i make.

That's one of the reasons I came out with my Leg Light-Ups, the front (and back if you like) has been totally neglected except for beatmasters shooter housing light ups. We add light and color where it was sorely needed....in my opinion.

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

They just sent you some boilerplate that they sent out to 50 other people today.

I"m sure they did not do an in depth study of your product.

If your not infringing, don't worry about it.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's one of the reasons I came out with my Leg Light-Ups, the front (and back if you like) has been totally neglected except for beatmasters shooter housing light ups. We add light and color where it was sorely needed....in my opinion.

Lighting effects like yours and bobs are fantastic. It's the pf plastic toys n crap that get out of hand.

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Lighting effects like yours and bobs are fantastic. It's the pf plastic toys n crap that get out of hand.

Yup, that's why I don't put model cars all over the pf on my Mustang just some extra lighting effects on that and other games. But GB is so well lit I may not have to do that but I'm sure I'll think of something when I get it.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup, that's why I don't put model cars all over the pf on my Mustang just some extra lighting effects on that and other games. But GB is so well lit I may not have to do that but I'm sure I'll think of something when I get it.

Yea, other than maybe some cool topper, I don't plan on doing much to my GB....there is so much going on in the playfield as it is, most of what you do will get lost in the clutter. Buy it and PLAY IT!

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Yea, other than maybe some cool topper, I don't plan on doing much to my GB....there is so much going on in the playfield as it is, most of what you do will get lost in the clutter. Buy it and PLAY IT!

Well there's always beatmasters and my light ups. Swinks topper is way cool but is that copyright infringement also? Swinks what say you? With the way Stern is I wouldn't even consider buying their topper or any other mod from them no matter how cool it is. They'll get my money for the pin and that's it. They may have their reasons for doing what their doing but that doesn't mean I have to go along or like it.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The way around this is to offer them for free, and tip or donate to the mod maker. Either way its BS and almost impossible to enforce.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

The way around this is to offer them for free, and tip or donate to the mod maker. Either way its BS and almost impossible to enforce.

Still need permission.

#130 8 years ago

We have several mods already complete, and 2 are at Stern for approval. We already have the plastic protectors finished and will be sold exclusively through Stern. I am currently making an alternative topper that I will be submitting for approval though Stern. I also have several mods that are being worked on in conjunction with Matt @ Back Alley Creations..We will be releasing a few here soon.

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

We have several mods already complete, and 2 are at Stern for approval. We already have the plastic protectors finished and will be sold exclusively through Stern. I am currently making an alternative topper that I will be submitting for approval though Stern. I also have several mods that are being worked on in conjunction with Matt @ Back Alley Creations..We will be releasing a few here soon.

Stern didn't need to approve the protectors I assume. That would be a little overreaching.

#132 8 years ago

For those interested in some background on theatrical licensing in general (as well as with specific reference to GB) check out:

Sony kicks off 30th anniversary merchandising drive for Ghostbusters
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-mod-index-all-modders-add-your-products/page/3#post-3048752

and

SPCP Represents Sony Pictures Entertainment’s TV and Theatrical Properties.
http://www.retail-merchandiser.com/reports/licensing-reports/1775-sony-pictures-consumer-products-1

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Stern didn't need to approve the protectors I assume. That would be a little overreaching.

No.. I am just manufacturing for them. They supplied me with the plastic outlines, they will be available in about a week.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

No.. I am just manufacturing for them. They supplied me with the plastic outlines, they will be available in about a week.

that's good to hear.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Gotcha. As a person in the non-licensed mod biz I was about to have a WTF moment.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well there's always beatmasters and my light ups. Swinks topper is way cool but is that copyright infringement also? Swinks what say you? With the way Stern is I wouldn't even consider buying their topper or any other mod from them no matter how cool it is. They'll get my money for the pin and that's it. They may have their reasons for doing what their doing but that doesn't mean I have to go along or like it.

For me and that topper I don't think it crosses the line, as people buy their own figure and I just make available a generic round base that adds a hidden lighting effect as well as retains the statue from falling.

#137 8 years ago

as for other products like Laseriffic's plastic protectors, very cool but on principal if I can't get them from you Laseriffic I refuse to get them from Stern as then they are just getting greedy and on the way to cutting many of the creative modders out of the industry with the goal to control the growing industry.

Worst case I will trace the plastics and get my own made instead of paying for over priced Stern ones just on principal.

#138 8 years ago

First thing I thought when I seen this pin is how good the city windows would look lit up with yellow leds. Both the flat plastic ones around the back and sides and also the moulded piece.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from c508:

For those interested in some background on theatrical licensing in general (as well as with specific reference to GB) check out:

Ooops wrong link...

I meant:

Sony kicks off 30th anniversary merchandising drive for Ghostbusters
http://www.licensing.biz/news/read/sony-kicks-off-30th-anniversary-merchandising-drive-for-ghostbusters/039242

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

So does that mean if we want them we'll have to pay their way marked up price? Or will they be the price you would normally sell them to us for?

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

For me and that topper I don't think it crosses the line, as people buy their own figure and I just make available a generic round base that adds a hidden lighting effect as well as retains the statue from falling.

Well that's some good news. Thanks.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

as for other products like Laseriffic's plastic protectors, very cool but on principal if I can't get them from you Laseriffic I refuse to get them from Stern as then they are just getting greedy and on the way to cutting many of the creative modders out of the industry with the goal to control the growing industry.
Worst case I will trace the plastics and get my own made instead of paying for over priced Stern ones just on principal.

I'm with you.

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

i agree, joe is a great guy and i always buy his product from pinball life, i'm happy for him if he can do business with stern.
with that said, i will never, ever buy a mod from stern. an idea from someone else and they will use it to make a bigger profit.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

with that said, i will never, ever buy a mod from stern. an idea from someone else and they will use it to make a bigger profit.

and I bet a larger profit than what the modder makes for his design time and manufacturing effort

#145 8 years ago

In case you guys were looking for an Ecto 1 that is licensed here it is. I think this is one of the better ones that I've stumble across.

http://www.toynk.com/ghostbusters-ecto-1-45-vinyl-figure-nbk-09617-c-63327

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

In case you guys were looking for an Ecto 1 that is licensed here it is. I think this is one of the better ones that I've stumble across.
http://www.toynk.com/ghostbusters-ecto-1-45-vinyl-figure-nbk-09617-c-63327
image_(resized).jpeg

That car is licensed, but how do you know the seller is licensed to sell it? They could have bought them wholesale and are reselling them without a license. They are sold on eBay too, no way all those sellers are licensed. is that IP infringement? Since you've pointed this seller out, stern is now aware of it and would have to send them a c&d order and they would have to stop selling it unless they can present a seller certificate. Is this not right?

What about all the gb licensed memorabilia that people sell? Is it illegal for them to sell it if they aren't licensed? Tons of gb stuff sold on eBay, my guess is 99% of those sellers aren't licensed to sell any of it.

How is that different than a guy selling an ecto 1 license plate here on pinside?

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

That car is licensed, but how do you know the seller is licensed to sell it? They could have bought them wholesale and are reselling them without a license. They are sold on eBay too, no way all those sellers are licensed. is that IP infringement? Since you've pointed this seller out, stern is now aware of it and would have to send them a c&d order and they would have to stop selling it unless they can present a seller certificate. Is this not right?

According to the guy's website he has licenses for everything he sells. Not sure what the situation would be if you bought a bunch of these and used them for a pinball machine mod and sold them. My guess is you would still have to get permission.

#148 8 years ago

Hallmark hade a nicely detailed ecto 1 that would be ripe for modding with leds. I thinks there is a hot wheels version as well. Either of those would be too small for a topper but might look nice somewhere by the firehouse or over the shooter lane.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Hallmark hade a nicely detailed ecto 1 that would be ripe for modding with leds.

Own this, can confirm it is very nice. Goes on my tree every year.

#150 8 years ago

Seems like Stern wouldn't be able to go after them because it's not related to pinball. Now if it's Sony(Columbia) I guess they could. It's a very gray area.

I would like to oppose another thing. What if these so called mods were made prior to the GB announcement. I'm sure Stern wouldn't be sending c&d then.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 554 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-mod-index-all-modders-add-your-products/page/3?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.