View topic image gallery

2F51264D-B232-4370-9F48-3DA8776DBC36 (resized).jpeg
9BBA62C0-BC7A-45D8-91EC-448A088E7C57 (resized).jpeg
BetterExampleOfChipping (resized).jpg
ghosting (resized).jpeg
chipping (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hi

I'm looking into picking up a Ghostbusters LE that has ghosting on a few inserts and some lite chipping in one spot in the shooter lane (at ball impact point). At this point it's been a couple of years, and the ghosting seems stable, but...

1) Should I be concerned that there will be dramatic changes in the clear/ghosting (chipping, etc.)? The extra ball insert seems to have some crazing.

2) Given the ghosting and shooter lane chipping, what would a fair price be in your mind? Game has mirror blades and a few mods (ecto car, lane guide guard, left ramp air ball guard), and--manufacturing defects aside--generally is in very good condition with about 600 plays.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Posting in "All pinball" as this is a hybrid "Buying/Selling Advice" and "Playfield Restoration" topic.

chipping (resized).jpegchipping (resized).jpegghosting (resized).jpegghosting (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

That looks like pretty normal wear and tear on a few year old machine to me, but that like "just my opinion man".

As you noted, there is some risk it will get worse. But clearly the playfield is not disintegrating before your very eyes...

#3 5 years ago

If you want perfect don't do pinball

#4 5 years ago

Ya I’m not personally too concerned with the current state/look. Mostly looking for the opinions of those more educated than I as to whether I should be more concerned about bad chipping in the long run, etc.

And would really appreciate input on price from those that have bought or sold an LE with some ghosting.

Thanks again

#5 5 years ago

It appears stable....I wouldnt expect it to get worse, other than normal wear.

You can improve and protect shooter lane.

$7K +/- a couple hundred..

#6 5 years ago

Ghosting only related:

The LE on location here in town looks like that, if not worse. And that was from day one on, before anyone here comes to the defense and screams wear and tear.

My Premium looks like a million bucks on the other hand, roll of the dice with Stern, unfortunately when it comes to Ghostbusters LEs. As far as I know there were two styles of playfields for LEs. The ones that ghost and the ones that do not and at the same time you had differences in color saturation as well as a batch with a spelling mistake on an insert, if I remember correctly.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It appears stable....I wouldnt expect it to get worse, other than normal wear.
You can improve and protect shooter lane.
$7K +/- a couple hundred..

Thanks. What would the fix be on the shooter lane? I was thinking I would just lay down some mylar in that area to keep it from getting worse.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Ghosting only related:
And that was from day one on, before anyone here comes to the defense and screams wear and tear.

This instance is second owner, but I'm told the original owner claimed it was ghosted like this out of the box as well.

#9 5 years ago

Mylar, or repositionable clear will work.

You can also clean, if needed, very very light sand, if needed, natural or maple wood stain on a q-tip,
and then clear. Then Cover.

With a straight edge and a fine paint pen, you can run the insert edge, and make those disappear.
(Extra Ball insert, maybe not completely)

#10 5 years ago

If ghosting has been that way for year plus - you are good.

~$7k value

#11 5 years ago

I had a GB LE that had mild ghosting when I bought it (second owner) and than it spread rampant, enough that Stern replaced the play-filed. I would say proceed with caution and I would also say that there are others that are HUO that dont have ghosting that come up for sale.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I had a GB LE that had mild ghosting when I bought it (second owner) and than it spread rampant, enough that Stern replaced the play-filed. I would say proceed with caution and I would also say that there are others that are HUO that dont have ghosting that come up for sale.

Thanks. What kind of timeframe did you see this happen during (relative to manufacture date)?

#13 5 years ago

Thanks for the input cpr9999

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

With a straight edge and a fine paint pen, you can run the insert edge, and make those disappear.
(Extra Ball insert, maybe not completely)

Paint pen with clear in it?

#15 5 years ago

Over about 2 months

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Paint pen with clear in it?

Doesnt exist w/clear...just black...a thin line that matches outline.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Over about 2 months

Ok. So to clarify the game was ~2 months old when the ghosting spread?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Doesnt exist w/clear...just black...a thin line that matches outline.

Got it. Thanks

#19 5 years ago

Unless it's a steal, in all honesty, do yourself a favor and stay away from it. When you go to sell it, what's going to be the first question anyone asks about it? You already know the answer. Ghosting playfields and splitting corners are the two things that plague this game and began the justified (in my opinion) hysteria regarding Stern quality a few years back.

#20 5 years ago

No over the course of 2 months when I owned it it spread. I dont know how old it was but It was over a year or so I believe.

Quoted from joetechbob:

Ok. So to clarify the game was ~2 months old when the ghosting spread?

#21 5 years ago

Looks like most GBLEs. If you enjoy the game I wouldn't worry about it much. I think price quotes have been a little high though. These have taken a decent hit with the never ending code delays. Seen several similar ones go around $6600-6700

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Unless it's a steal, in all honesty, do yourself a favor and stay away from it. When you go to sell it, what's going to be the first question anyone asks about it? You already know the answer. Ghosting playfields and splitting corners are the two things that plague this game and began the justified (in my opinion) hysteria regarding Stern quality a few years back.

You're 100% right. There will always be that hurdle to clear in any future buyer's mind.

The seller is asking $6700 which seems inline with what's being suggested in this thread, so probably not a steal per se.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:No over the course of 2 months when I owned it it spread. I dont know how old it was but It was over a year or so I believe.

Thanks. Nice to have the data point.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Looks like most GBLEs. If you enjoy the game I wouldn't worry about it much. I think price quotes have been a little high though. These have taken a decent hit with the never ending code delays. Seen several similar ones go around $6600-6700

Thanks. That's inline with what the seller is asking.

#25 5 years ago

6700 is a really good price.

#26 5 years ago

At $6700, I think that is a helluva deal. It's still an LE, and when the new code drops (I have faith) it'll just get better. I think some people go a little overboard regarding pinball perfection. If you're set on getting a GB, I wouldn't pass this up and pay an extra $300 or more for an identical game just because this one has a little ghosting...and that looks to me like a "little" ghosting. The shooter lane denting isn't even a conversation starter in my mind...wood meet steel.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Thanks. What would the fix be on the shooter lane? I was thinking I would just lay down some mylar in that area to keep it from getting worse.

Yep do this. Feel those inserts too. If it feels like they could chip eventually put Mylar over those too. Wax the playfield before applying and they will come up no problem later if need be.

#29 5 years ago

Unfortunately the game's a bit of a hike, so I can't inspect in person before agreeing to make the purchase.

But I found a better picture that shows the clear is de-laminating (not just chipping) where the ball's been impacting in the shooter lane. Not seeing this at the Scoleri brother cutouts in pictures, but would assume that over time any hard ball impact points would de-laminate in a similar manner.

BetterExampleOfChipping (resized).jpgBetterExampleOfChipping (resized).jpg
#30 5 years ago

Common. Cover with Mylar and it won’t get worse.

#31 5 years ago

Here is more info on the game not sure what the big secret is

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/71279

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Common. Cover with Mylar and it won’t get worse.

Thanks

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from pfinny:

Here is more info on the game not sure what the big secret is
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/71279

Not a secret. Didn’t link as I wanted unbiased input on pricing.

#34 5 years ago

I don't think the LE is worth that much over a premium, probably because I don't think the green armor adds any value. Considering the issues and incomplete code it's not worth $6700 to me. But, if you feel that the LE is worth something, then $6700 isn't terrible, $6500 is probably a more reasonable price.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep do this. Feel those inserts too. If it feels like they could chip eventually put Mylar over those too. Wax the playfield before applying and they will come up no problem later if need be.

Do this ^
I had a similar PF that Stern replaced due to the ghosting on Tobin turning into a crisp "edge" that could be felt with your fingernail. They agreed to replace the entire PF (and eventually did) but while waiting I mylared all the ghosted spots including Tobin and played hundreds of games. It never got any worse.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I don't think the LE is worth that much over a premium, probably because I don't think the green armor adds any value. Considering the issues and incomplete code it's not worth $6700 to me. But, if you feel that the LE is worth something, then $6700 isn't terrible, $6500 is probably a more reasonable price.

Thanks. I do like the look of the cabinet, but you're right in that there isn't a big difference. I think the only other thing is the feature comparison list showed the LE as having a proper backglass.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Do this ^
I had a similar PF that Stern replaced due to the ghosting on Tobin turning into a crisp "edge" that could be felt with your fingernail. They agreed to replace the entire PF (and eventually did) but while waiting I mylared all the ghosted spots including Tobin and played hundreds of games. It never got any worse.

Thanks. Glad to hear that stabilized it.

#38 5 years ago

If it didn't have the ghosting, the firm price would be higher, but I do think it's a good deal, especially with the mods. It really is a fun game, so much going on and I have a pro. Go get it in my opinion and if you want perfect go the the other one for sale in ND for $8500.

#39 5 years ago

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

My conclusion is that the price is fair and it's most likely the clear coat is stable at this point. However, after sitting on everyone's input for a day, I just had enough reservations that I decided to hold off on buying the game (kind of a bad gut feeling).

Thanks again.

#40 5 years ago

Good move. If it was a good deal, you wouldn’t have had this much time to hem and haw anyway. It would have been gone.

#41 5 years ago

Burn it. With fire.

#42 5 years ago

So ... after what build date was the playfields "better" for LE's and Premiums? I'll be looking for one this summer.

#43 5 years ago

Game needs some shooter lane Cliffy protectors....their cheap....

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Burn it. With fire.

I need this on a Bumper Sticker!

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

So ... after what build date was the playfields "better" for LE's and Premiums? I'll be looking for one this summer.

Throughout all of the hysteria about ghosting and whatnot the consensus seems to be that if it isn't noticeable in a few inserts (or other similar areas of the playfield where it can occur) by now, then it's not going to spontaneously develop those issues one random Tuesday afternoon in August. In addition to that, GB has already taken about as much depreciation as can be expected. Now that they aren't readily available NIB, the price likely has bottomed out. Buy a nice looking GB and play it.

#46 5 years ago

I have one insert that ghosted on the corner (minor, 1/4" at most) on my NIB LE. It happened within the first month but it has not worsened at all since. I put some mylar on it to prevent any chipping. The rest of the game has no issues so I assume some games had more problems than others. I don't consider it a big deal and not worth changing a playfield. I wonder if Stern did not let these games cure long enough before shipping them out.

#47 5 years ago

Game of thrones within a week of ownership:

9BBA62C0-BC7A-45D8-91EC-448A088E7C57 (resized).jpeg9BBA62C0-BC7A-45D8-91EC-448A088E7C57 (resized).jpeg

About 6,000 plays later:

2F51264D-B232-4370-9F48-3DA8776DBC36 (resized).jpeg2F51264D-B232-4370-9F48-3DA8776DBC36 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-le-w-ghosting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.