20170603_101549 (resized).jpg
20170603_101518 (resized).jpg
20170602_100535 (resized).jpg
20170602_100514 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170530-100521 (resized).png
20170407_151401 (resized).jpg
ab5e79c3bc6e64565ccd97817921ca6e (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #97 Vid1900 discusses re-clearcoating a new playfield. Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #111 Another photo of the teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #117 Photos of the teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #118 Photos of the teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #142 Stern's warranty. Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#180 7 years ago

See what I worry about. Is you go through all this trouble. but the reality of it is. Say if i'm clearcoating a field like this. The primary base coat is still main factor. I can give you the best clearing job on the planet, but it's still on the base clear. So if the base is letting go, the super duper awesome clear on top of it, is going to let go from the wood as well. just going to have a really good grip on the stern clear.

I did this NOS Frontier field for a guy years ago. Clear turned out great. Well, he dropped a tool on it while putting it together. the clear had a air pocket and popped up. So he hit it in other spots and did the same thing. Sooo. I told him send it back and lets see what going on. I get it back and wondering what the hell. Because I do all my fields the same way, and have over the past 11 years or so. So I dig into one of the air bubbles and slide my mixing spatula under it. Clear starts popping off the field. I could run it under the clear and pull it off in sheets. turns out. it wasn't my clear at all. It was the old ass cracked lacquer the NOS field had was letting go from the field. So when my clear came up, it had all the lacquer attached to it. needless to say, now the lacquer was taking some art here and there with it. turned a nice NOS field into a project that needed work. Which was not the fault of my clearcoat in any shape or form. from that day forward, I warn anyone now, when they send me questionable base coats from the factory....i let them know what could happen if that base layer decides to do crazy shit.

#182 7 years ago

technically you have option 5.

Play the hell out of it, let whatever happens happen, and down the road you could get it restored. but you are already this far now, it wouldn't be an option anymore. Just saying. I guess I don't get too concerned with things like shooter lanes and what not, because if I don't like it down the road, i'll restore it, but shooter lanes don't concern me, and never have. They are ment to get beat to shit. Every game i've ever had has wear in the shooter lane that I didn't buy NIB. It's how pinball works. Now chipping in other places early on. either spot cleared or mylar to minimize it. Mostly because I don't have a lot of time to work on my own games. I'm too busy restoring everyone elses. And restoring mine, doesn't pay the bills.

#184 7 years ago

well I ment, years down the road where it would definitely be out of warranty. Not dealing with stern at all. Like 10 years from now if he feels like restoring then, just play the shit out of it till then.

#200 7 years ago

I don't know why people complain about that flipper gap. Plenty of my games have a flipper gap exactly like that. Those all play perfectly fine. Ever play alien poker. Same gap. indy 500 same. Swords of fury, same. many others that are no JT's game also have it the same. Doesn't make them any less fun.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

The game is an airball & drain fest
That makes the game way less fun (to me)

yea, but you just complained about flipper gap and side rails. Has nothing to do with airballs. Airball are simply caused from the standups. They do it on shadow or any game that has them almost head on like that. I've had countless times where the standups on shadow would give me an airball over my flippers. those are even worse because they are so close to the flippers. GB slows down with age. After adding foam and bending my targets to a more downward position (instead of leaning back like a ramp), they have become less and less.

as for the side rails. 5 mins and a couple taps from the backside with a drill bit and hammer fixed the bounce overs as well as reducing side drains by about 30%. So now, my gametimes are longer than they are on Indy 500, and alien poker.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

"JT designed it this way on purpose"
OK
Thats fine
Game still sucks
"Vegans intentionally cook tofu on purpose"
OK
Thats fine
Tofu still sucks

the tofu, this sandwich cafe makes in milwaukee, is awesome. I'm not big on tofu, but this stuff is awesome. Full of flavor.

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

No way on this planet does Indy 500 have the same gap as Ghostbusters.

looks pretty damn close to me. I'll measure it with both flippers directly across from each other.

#237 7 years ago

ok, seems ghostbusters is a little over 1 1/2" from tip to tip straight across. Everything else seems to be 1 1/2"

DSCN1804 (resized).JPGDSCN1804 (resized).JPG

DSCN1806 (resized).JPGDSCN1806 (resized).JPG

DSCN1807 (resized).JPGDSCN1807 (resized).JPG

DSCN1809 (resized).JPGDSCN1809 (resized).JPG

#240 7 years ago

that doesn't work because games use different size flippers for certain games. So to properly do it, you have to measure across the tips at the closest point. but the gap is indeed bigger on GB than the rest of the games that I own anyway.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from helicopter:

Looks like 1 11/16" on GB to me but hard to tell from the pic. Flipper gap is a very sensitive thing. Taking a quick look at the numbers...
a pinball is about 1 1/16" diameter so the actual gap with ball between flippers on a 1 1/2" flipper gap machine is about 7/16". The GB will have a 5/8" gap. This is almost 43% bigger I'll bet if you did a study a 43% larger gap would equate to more than 50% more frequent drains because the larger gap also makes double flipper saves more difficult because it requires a larger deflection angle to be tipped off the first flipper and then saved by the second flipper.
Final result. GB is a drain monster for both beginner and experienced players.

that's about right.

2 weeks later
#302 7 years ago

you can feather out the inserts all you want, but if they are shifting. It's going to do it again. The clear can be the suspect, but it's not the only cause. Many other factors can come into play besides the clear itself.

1 week later
#307 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

According to the clear coater, they have been doing some insert comparisons between my LE playfield and a NOS Ghostbusters Pro playfield. I don't have details yet but they feel confident they can resolve the issues. Time will tell. Either way, worth the gamble to me.

well the sources I had about the issue, really had nothing to do with the clearcoating itself, nor the chemical makeup of the inserts or the wood. had everything to with physical characteristics. that's why i'm wondering. I have yet to have any ghosting on mine, and was told they found the issue and changed it with the field I received. So far it's held true.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-le-playfield-restoration-begins?tu=CaptainNeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.