20170603_101549 (resized).jpg
20170603_101518 (resized).jpg
20170602_100535 (resized).jpg
20170602_100514 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170530-100521 (resized).png
20170407_151401 (resized).jpg
ab5e79c3bc6e64565ccd97817921ca6e (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 7 years ago

Who did you hire to accomplish this?

#252 7 years ago

I prefer the Imperial system. There's more colors in the graph.

#253 7 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

sorry for off topic

No worries. Taking us off topic from an off topic conversation somehow seems ok. Man, it is hard to follow pinside threads with all the unnecessary and unrelated discussion. Maybe this post is adding to it also, but just have to share how disappointing it is to check back in on a thread thinking there must be some meaningful update on the Playfield restored only to find all this other conversation filling up space. Not trying to lecture, just sharing my experience.

#254 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Tell that to the guys that are putting up scores of 5 billion plus. I myself can't get over 800 million. I just suck.

You will have a lucky game and pull off 1bil + before you know it. That's what happened to me. I couldn't get to 1 billion and then all of a sudden I ended up with a 3 billion game.

#255 7 years ago

Casper edition "Walk" insert

Screenshot_20170226-145806 (resized).pngScreenshot_20170226-145806 (resized).png

#256 7 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

No worries. Taking us off topic from an off topic conversation somehow seems ok. Man, it is hard to follow pinside threads with all the unnecessary and unrelated discussion. Maybe this post is adding to it also, but just have to share how disappointing it is to check back in on a thread thinking there must be some meaningful update on the Playfield restored only to find all this other conversation filling up space. Not trying to lecture, just sharing my experience.

The playfield safely arrived at the clear coat facility last week. Guessing 6-8 weeks before it returns. I will provide updates as they become available. In the meantime, I was thinking about documenting a part a day. Any interest?

#257 7 years ago

Im interested. Has to be better than 6 to 8 weeks of stern quality yammerings. Id like to have detail of how mechs work. Sure.

#258 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

The playfield safely arrived at the clear coat facility last week. Guessing 6-8 weeks before it returns. I will provide updates as they become available. In the meantime, I was thinking about documenting a part a day. Any interest?

When is the mystery clear coat facility going to be reveled?

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I would be interested.

#260 7 years ago

Here are some examples from the pop bumper area. A few parts that were new to me include the shorter spaded screws (used to secure the pop bumper coil assembly) and the led boards inside the pop assembly. Other than those parts, nothing to exciting.

20170226_181003 (resized).jpg20170226_181003 (resized).jpg

#261 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Here are some examples from the pop bumper area. A few parts that were new to me include the shorter spaded screws (used to secure the pop bumper coil assembly) and the led boards inside the pop assembly. Other than those parts, nothing to exciting.

I like the new light boards in the pops. simple to wire

#262 7 years ago

Today's pic is the motor assembly for slimer.

20170227_190544 (resized).jpg20170227_190544 (resized).jpg
20170227_190339 (resized).jpg20170227_190339 (resized).jpg

#263 7 years ago

interested to see the mech for the ball diverter for the ramp that goes under and over the playfield

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

interested to see the mech for the ball diverter for the ramp that goes under and over the playfield

Pretty sure this is the diverter you are referencing. If not, please let me know.

20170228_192233 (resized).jpg20170228_192233 (resized).jpg

20170228_192150 (resized).jpg20170228_192150 (resized).jpg

#265 7 years ago

Here it is installed.

20170214_220911 (resized).jpg20170214_220911 (resized).jpg

#266 7 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

sorry for off topic, this is not intented to be "troll" but your (=Americans) imperial way to define lenght is always quite hilarious. It's pretty much impossible for the rest of the world understand actual dimensions what you are talking about.
Trust me, metric-system eases things about zillion times...

Yes the metric system was designed so the masses can figure it out. Dividing by 10 is easy. Unfortunately in manufacturing you need to have more accurate measurements. YOu need to divide by 64th,32nds etc. You can't have rounding error like you have in the metric system when you divide by these numbers.. Metric 10th , 100ths etc. all have rounding problems. I spoke with an aeronautics engineer who schooled me on this.
Metric is a simplified measuring system for the public which is not accurate enough for high tech manufacturing.

#267 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Yes the metric system was designed so the masses can figure it out. Dividing by 10 is easy. Unfortunately in manufacturing you need to have more accurate measurements. YOu need to divide by 64th,32nds etc. You can't have rounding error like you have in the metric system when you divide by these numbers.. Metric 10th , 100ths etc. all have rounding problems. I spoke with an aeronautics engineer who schooled me on this.
Metric is a simplified measuring system for the public which is not accurate enough for high tech manufacturing.

Hmm... I'm not too sure about this..

X...................................................................X

The distance between the X's is the same. It doesn't matter if you measure it in the imperial system, metric system or by wet dog noses. As long as the measurement system chosen is repeatable and the measuring instrument has the required accuracy it really doesn't matter if it's 1.238" or 3.145cm.. or 3145mm.. or .3145dm.. Or .01345m.. Or .9 wet dog nose.

I think the problem your aeronautics engineer was referring to was the issue that can occur when switching between the two different systems. That's when you can have conversion and rounding errors.

#268 7 years ago

This is a cool thread. It's really great of you documenting this process for others. Also really cool that you're posting pics of the parts as you await the playfield's return. Cheers to you.

#269 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Are you serious? Metric system can be divided infinitely. We have equipment in my workplace where we measure in 1/100 of millimeter. That's precision. Rounding isn't an issue or is same way in imperial system.

Just as Radius118 said. Point being that metrics are just so much easier to understand. It's immediately clear to all, how different values are correlating between each others. Putting things in order based on some metrics is easy.

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

This is so incredibly absurd that I'm going to chalk it down as a troll post. Well done.

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

Are you serious? Metric system can be divided infinitely. We have equipment in my workplace where we measure in 1/100 of millimeter. That's precision. Rounding isn't an issue or is same way in imperial system.
Just as Radius118 said. Point being that metrics are just so much easier to understand. It's immediately clear to all, how different values are correlating between each others. Putting things in order based on some metrics is easy.

Are you 6 feet tall or 1.82 meters tall?

Which one is easier to visualize?

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

For us...1.82m tall

#273 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Good one.

How about 1.8M or 5 feet 10 - 110/127 inches?

#274 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Depends on how big my feet are....

#275 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

tell millhouse to go back to school!

#276 7 years ago

Back to topic (feeling obligated to do so...)

Any info about actual CC process? Will the inserts be removed, sanded down, re-glued etc.? Or are you aiming to keep the original graphics? Removing that clearcoat should be 1st priority, but as we know, it's pretty much impossible to do 100%. But looking for the output, should be awesome. Sorry if this has been in previous messages

#277 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I understand wanting a nice game and at today's NIB prices customers deserve a game with no playfield issues. However, for this issue I would recommend stopping the playfield tear down and play the crap out of your game to see if the clear coat issue gets worse. If the issue does get worse Stern may replace your playfield.
For now I would do a touch repair on the shooter lane, put mylar down in the shooter lane and a Cliffy protector as well.

It's like ripping the warranty sticker off of a brand new product :/ Possibly not the best idea even if they're unresponsive right now, perhaps since they recommended it they'll budge though especially if it turns out awful

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

It's like ripping the warranty sticker off of a brand new product

While i agree, how long is the warranty actually good for? I remember someone posting the warranty and it's laughably short. 2 months or something like that?

#279 7 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

Back to topic (feeling obligated to do so...)
Any info about actual CC process? Will the inserts be removed, sanded down, re-glued etc.? Or are you aiming to keep the original graphics? Removing that clearcoat should be 1st priority, but as we know, it's pretty much impossible to do 100%. But looking for the output, should be awesome. Sorry if this has been in previous messages

It doesn't work this way. There is no way to remove all of the original clear without destroying the artwork. And removing the inserts to re-glue is not necessary nor feasible. At that point you would be better off just buying a new blank play field.

If I were doing the job I would sand the existing clear down as far as I dared without getting into the artwork, feather sand the clear down to the bare wood where it has chipped on the bare wood sections of the play field, repair any ghosted inserts, shoot 2 coats of clear, wet sand, shoot another 2 coats and wet sand again.

#280 7 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

While i agree, how long is the warranty actually good for? I remember someone posting the warranty and it's laughably short. 2 months or something like that?

It was more used as a figure of speech, for instance if you let it destroy itself by playing it over a year Stern might feel inclined to replace it because that's their fault, but if you don't even leave that as a possibility, instead destroying it yourself by trying to "fix" it, then obviously they will not under any circumstance replace it

#281 7 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Metric 10th , 100ths etc. all have rounding problems. I spoke with an aeronautics engineer who schooled me on this.

Who does he work for, because I'm not flying on their planes anymore.

#282 7 years ago

Sorry for the lack of updates. Hopefully, I can get back on track. Of course, the release of the Switch/Zelda isn't going to help my productivity...

20170303_145620 (resized).jpg20170303_145620 (resized).jpg

20170303_145540 (resized).jpg20170303_145540 (resized).jpg

20170303_145502 (resized).jpg20170303_145502 (resized).jpg

#283 7 years ago

20170303_145641 (resized).jpg20170303_145641 (resized).jpg

#284 7 years ago

What is the reason for not disclosing the name of the vendor clearcoating the playfield?

Is the vendor concerned about not being able to get a good result, given the adhesion problems of the original clearcoat? If the result is unfavorable, are you not allowed to disclose the name? And if that's not the case, then why not simply disclose the name now?

#285 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

What is the reason for not disclosing the name of the vendor clearcoating the playfield?

My guess is that the coater does not want to be swamped with inquires until he gets one under his belt.

You don't know what you are in store for until you sand the old finish for "tooth".

Anything loose will be evident.

#286 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Is the vendor concerned about not being able to get a good result, given the adhesion problems of the original clearcoat? If the result is unfavorable, are you not allowed to disclose the name?

That's my guess.

#287 7 years ago

Ghostbusters - Behind the Goggles.

20170304_154813 (resized).jpg20170304_154813 (resized).jpg

20170304_154843 (resized).jpg20170304_154843 (resized).jpg

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

thanks for showing, nice compact unit

#289 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My guess is that the coater does not want to be swamped with inquires until he gets one under his belt.

Must be the Russians clear coating this MF er

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

it would be cool if stern made this available as an add on mod for the pro!

#291 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

it would be cool if stern made this available as an add on mod for the pro!

Doesn't the right ramp obstruct the placement?

#292 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Must be the Russians clear coating this MF er

If so this is what us Pinsiders looks like to those damn Stern commies.

That also means we got some traitors here!

ab5e79c3bc6e64565ccd97817921ca6e (resized).jpgab5e79c3bc6e64565ccd97817921ca6e (resized).jpg

1 week later
#293 7 years ago

I chatted with the clear coater today. Here are some bullet points from the conversation.

1) Scanned all insert artwork
2) Removed as much of original clear coat
3) Feathered sanded out the the inserts
4) Screen printed back on some artwork from silk screens created from scans
5) Clear coated playfield
6) Planned to clear coat next layer in 7-14 days

That is all I know at this time. I will continue to provide updates as they become available. Stay Tuned!

#294 7 years ago

Sweet!

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

3) Further sanded out the the inserts

Did I fix that for you? Meaning are these guys really going to sand the inserts enough so that they have to recreate the keylines? If so... the well; that's pretty funking impressive.

#296 7 years ago

This has to be hsa doing the work.

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I chatted with the clear coater today. Here are some bullet points from the conversation.
1) Scanned all insert artwork
2) Removed as much of original clear coat
3) Feathered sanded out the the inserts
5) Clear coated playfield
6) Planned to clear coat next layer in 7-14 days
That is all I know at this time. I will continue to provide updates as they become available. Stay Tuned!

I think that this thread is insane! You have a brand new machine.

Great thread and will be really good to see the outcome. You are getting a custom clear job on your playfield.

You will definitely have a one of a kind machine!

#298 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

It was more used as a figure of speech, for instance if you let it destroy itself by playing it over a year Stern might feel inclined to replace it because that's their fault, but if you don't even leave that as a possibility, instead destroying it yourself by trying to "fix" it, then obviously they will not under any circumstance replace it

I've read HEP say that people send him NIB games to take out of the box and make perfect. It's really not that strange. If I had money to blow I'd probably do that too.

#299 7 years ago

It's going to be a beautiful game. I'm pretty eager to see what that playfield looks like after it gets all repopulated.

#300 7 years ago

If I wanted to print out one thread off pinside and bring to a show to present to Gary Stern this thread would be it, and then say Stern are you serious!?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 103.00
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-le-playfield-restoration-begins/page/6?hl=ecto1a2003 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.