By xfassa

2 months ago

Stats

• Started 2 months ago
  • 315 posts
  • 121 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 weeks ago by Sinestro

Find posts in this topic

Find posts in this topic match certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Topic Gallery

20170407_151401 (resized).jpg
ab5e79c3bc6e64565ccd97817921ca6e (resized).jpg
20170304_154843 (resized).jpg
20170304_154813 (resized).jpg
20170303_145641 (resized).jpg
20170303_145502 (resized).jpg
20170303_145540 (resized).jpg
20170303_145620 (resized).jpg
20170214_220911 (resized).jpg
20170228_192150 (resized).jpg

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 315 posts in topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 70 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

New clear over those two games seems fine if that's what you wanted. However, on this playfield, there are clear issues. What options exist for dealing with the current clear?

It is no different than dealing with an older playfield that is flaking and having issues. Clearing the playfield before beginning restoration work on it is SOP. The clear "locks in" the flaking, etc, so repairs can be started.

Clearing/re-clearing a playfield that has chipping issues like this GB is no different. Sand and feather the parts that have chipped off, carefully sand down the original clear as far as you dare, repair any art as needed and clear. Then wetsand. If more clear is needed to level the playfield then clear again and wetsand again.. I have had to repeat this process as many as 4 times on a NOS playfield. But then I don't put my clear down super thick because I don't want to have issues with solvent pop.

#102 70 days ago

For those interested, here is the kit.

#103 70 days ago

you were serious!
-Mike

#104 70 days ago

Glad I didn't post an earlier posting as I would feel crappy about it now. I thought this was a joke,Stern sending out sandpaper and clear...ya right! But a pic is worth a thousand words and even less of my money.
-Mike

#105 70 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I put a new clearcoat on my TRONLE and my KISSLE; and there was nothing wrong with either of them.

Perhaps you should re-read the exact sentence that YOU wrote, specifically....."there was nothing wrong with either of them". Even you must understand that this is a completely different situation. There unquestionably IS SOMETHING WRONG with the original clear coat.

#106 70 days ago

Good luck with your restoration!

When I see more and more of these issues and the decisions by Stern, it is only reinforcing my decision to stop buying till many months after releases. Not a good business move by Stern.

#107 70 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Oh wow , that looks pathetic...

#108 70 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Agreed, lots of unknowns ahead. I am not asking anyone to understand/agree with my decisions. Again, my only intent is to share the expereince.
btw...the MM I purchased from you a few years ago is still playing great. Thanks!

Ah yes...I forgot your screename. I'm glad to hear MM is still playing as intended. I pretty much bulletproofed it, and it really makes me feel good to hear that news from you. Good luck on this project. Glenn

#109 70 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Why are you guys giving xfassa a hard time?
I put a new clearcoat on my TRONLE and my KISSLE; and there was nothing wrong with either of them.
I just wanted a super badass clearcoat.
I do not remember a single person bitching at me "Stern should have done a better job in the first place!" , "You should not have to do that with a brand new game!", "Wow, 200 games and already you are shooting new clear??"
Even after shooting new clear, I still Mylared the shooter lanes and the outholes - because every ball ever played hits both of these locations....

You are comparing apples to oranges in this case though vid. I agree with you completely on doing a beautiful wet sand on a new playfield and putting on extra coats. But when your base coat has adhesion issues it comes back to haunt you. I used to do some custom auto and motorcycle painting and ran into plenty of surprises, even when fixing my own work. Someone else mentioned the possibility of the new clear getting under the old in poor adhesion areas. He is right....that spot could turn into a pile of muck, bubbles or whatever. But we will all get a chance to learn something here as this project progresses. I am anxious to see what (if any) problems he will encounter.
Remember when everyone thought the world would end in the Y2K event? A lot of people ate dog poop at 12:01. But the parties were fun!

#110 70 days ago
Quoted from Radius118:

It is no different than dealing with an older playfield that is flaking and having issues. Clearing the playfield before beginning restoration work on it is SOP. The clear "locks in" the flaking, etc, so repairs can be started.
Clearing/re-clearing a playfield that has chipping issues like this GB is no different. Sand and feather the parts that have chipped off, carefully sand down the original clear as far as you dare, repair any art as needed and clear. Then wetsand. If more clear is needed to level the playfield then clear again and wetsand again.. I have had to repeat this process as many as 4 times on a NOS playfield. But then I don't put my clear down super thick because I don't want to have issues with solvent pop.

And chip out clear from ghosted inserts? I don't know that OP has any of those. I've cleared a few games, but all of those either had a well adhering (but old and worn in areas) finish. The other I sanded to bare wood and cleared. In this thread, OP is doing something that I would equate to walking a minefield. I hope his only issues, now and in the future, are the ones already exposed.

#111 70 days ago

The journey continues. Let's see if I can complete the topside teardown by the end of the night.

1487203471098-929684794 (resized).jpg

#112 70 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

The journey continues. Let's see if I can complete the topside teardown by the end of the night.

Dont go too quick. Take a shitload of pictures.

#113 70 days ago

Good luck with the project. It's a shame you had to even consider doing this.

#114 70 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

And chip out clear from ghosted inserts? I don't know that OP has any of those. I've cleared a few games, but all of those either had a well adhering (but old and worn in areas) finish. The other I sanded to bare wood and cleared. In this thread, OP is doing something that I would equate to walking a minefield. I hope his only issues, now and in the future, are the ones already exposed.

The OP hasn't reported anything about ghosted inserts.

Even so, insert ghosting is a result of the insert contracting and expanding due to heat, movement from vibration, whatever. So the clear loses adhesion with the plastic insert and "cracks" where the insert and the wood meet. Then air gets in and you have a ghosted insert. It is actually quite common to see ghosted inserts on older playfields.

Sanding down the existing clear as far as possible will help with this. When the new clear is sprayed, it will chemically bond with the existing layer of clear. The now thicker clearcoat will help prevent ghosting because the thicker clear is stronger and less likely to crack, preventing the air from getting in that causes the ghosting.

#115 70 days ago
Quoted from Radius118:

The OP hasn't reported anything about ghosted inserts.

No ghosted inserts.

#116 70 days ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

You are comparing apples to oranges in this case though vid. I agree with you completely on doing a beautiful wet sand on a new playfield and putting on extra coats. But when your base coat has adhesion issues it comes back to haunt you.

Like most things in life, it's not always black and white.

Even playfields that have been restored by the best in the business will have ghosting pop up.

Maybe today, maybe next year.

You can fix it, or just keep playing pinball....it will still play the same.

Image.png (resized).jpg

#117 70 days ago

More pics of the teardown.

14872080387751697332618 (resized).jpg

1487208065940-940231072 (resized).jpg

1487208089898-928331781 (resized).jpg

#118 70 days ago

Moving along pretty well.

1487213315550-1432022132 (resized).jpg

1487213350149-949487795 (resized).jpg

1487213384584-2113626162 (resized).jpg

#119 70 days ago

Man I gotta tell you all, every thread like this proves Stern is blowing every chance to redeem themselves. I've lost all respect for them.

#120 70 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

IMG_0044 (resized).JPG

IMG_0045 (resized).JPG

#121 70 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

My God, Stern has some balls.

#122 70 days ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Man I gotta tell you all, in every thread like this proves Stern is blowing every chance to redeem themselves. I've lost all respect for them.

I passed on BM66 and AS for various reasons, but random quality was always a factor. Nothing is a sure bet though. I spent my 2017 pin money on an AFM and then the shipper smashed it up for me.

#123 70 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

All - After much discussion with the good folks at Stern, it has been made clear to me that a playfield replacement will not be forthcoming. I am not starting this thread to create endless debates about Stern quality. The intent of this thread is simple, document the process of stripping down a playfield, having it professionally cleared, and reasssembling. I can't guarantee it will be super exciting but it may be useful for some considering this route. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to see pics/videos of the disassembly process. My goal will be to complete the teardown by next Tuesday.
Here is the chipping that occurred on my playfield within 20 plays. Honestly, it hasn't been played a whole lot but I imagine it will only get worse with play. As you can see, there is a big chip and below it is lifted. I see similar lifting at the drain hole.

Was there any other damage, though? The rest of the pics look great, from what I can tell.

#124 70 days ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Was there any other damage, though? The rest of the pics look great, from what I can tell.

Apparently not. There's only 20 plays on it.

#125 70 days ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's amazing how anyone can continue to defend this company when they are cranking out shit products now when they used to be great- AND they charge more money for them now. You just can't make this up.

But...but...but....they're making Aerosmith.....and Elvira...and...and...Star Wars...OMG SEND MONEY NOW!!!!!!!!

suckers (resized).jpg

#126 70 days ago

I guess my GB money is going to get spent on a Dredd and Radical.

#127 70 days ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I guess my GB money is going to get spent on a Dredd and Radical.

If you really want a Ghostbusters go for it. I just received a Ghostbusters Premium and everything is perfect right out of the box. Did not have to adjust a thing. I did add the air ball protector before the first game tho.

#128 70 days ago
Quoted from PW79:

I thought the modern clears were the two part stuff.

Is this just polyurethane or polycrylic or something similar?

#129 70 days ago
Quoted from xfassa:

That looks like 60 grit sandpaper

They also don't include the surface prep solution to clean the area for the clear after sanding?

Where's the multiple levels of wetsanding paper and sanding block that should be included to do this correctly?

#130 70 days ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Where's the multiple levels of wetsanding paper and sanding block that should be included to do this correctly?

Available soon at the Stern shop?

#131 70 days ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

They also don't include the surface prep solution to clean the area for the clear after sanding?

You are talking premium stuff there, that is not for everyone. You have to put in a video application to get those.

#132 70 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I passed on BM66 and AS for various reasons, but random quality was always a factor. Nothing is a sure bet though. I spent my 2017 pin money on an AFM and then the shipper smashed it up for me.

Hopefully the shippers will reimburse you. Take lots of pictures, get copies of For Sale ads of similar AFMs. Then ask one of the repair techs here to get you a invoice for repair. This is a sure bet way to get reimbursed.

#133 70 days ago

Hey man, I wish you nothing but luck on this project. I would be absolutely pissed if I was in your shoes, so I commend you for taking it all in stride. I hope you end up with a beautiful playfield in the end.

#134 70 days ago

I had no problem replacing my PF, in fact I just put it in this week. If you had that much trouble getting a replacement PF, your distributor should be shot!

#135 70 days ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

They couldn't even provide a few different grits of sandpaper? That is pathetic. It would cost them like $.50 to provide a few more pieces for a small area.

#136 70 days ago

You got balls.
I could never take apart my gble.
To me it is a brand new pinball and the only point to take it apart lies 20 years from now.
When it is all black and gross from giving it hell for 2 decades.
I would just feel so crazy doing this.
I think a chip of clear is being magnified too much,you are just going to be afraid of playing it in the future?
Just play the thing and have fun with it.

#137 69 days ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

You have to submit a video to Stern explaining why you should be one of the lucks ones to be the recepient of these items.

#138 69 days ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

If you really want a Ghostbusters go for it. I just received a Ghostbusters Premium and everything is perfect right out of the box. Did not have to adjust a thing. I did add the air ball protector before the first game tho.

I sure hope that you are right because I'm buying one today!

#139 69 days ago

If I was you I'd use that cup for the sample it deserves and send it back to Stern! Can't believe this!

Good luck with the re-clear and the build though.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 13.49.46 (resized).png

#140 69 days ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Hopefully the shippers will reimburse you. Take lots of pictures, get copies of For Sale ads of similar AFMs. Then ask one of the repair techs here to get you a invoice for repair. This is a sure bet way to get reimbursed.

Thanks, I'm working on the process now. Not the most fun I've ever had, but I have an AFM in my garage and some day it will be a great joy to play.

#141 69 days ago
Quoted from pipes:

Apparently not. There's only 20 plays on it.

Assuming that's the only damage, to be honest, I don't think it qualifies for a replacement either. Yeah, it sucks that it happens particularly after 20 plays, but slap a cliffy on it and call it good. If, as the owner, you want to strip it down and reclear it, great, more power to you. I'd probably wait until it was out of warranty to do it, though.

#142 69 days ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I'd probably wait until it was out of warranty to do it, though.

There's no warranty on the playfield anyway, so the sooner he clears it, the sooner he will have the best GB in the world.

stern-waranty (resized).jpg

#143 69 days ago

Wow, didn't know boards have only a 2 month warranty

#144 69 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There's no warranty on the playfield anyway, so the sooner he clears it, the sooner he will have the best GB in the world.

Vid - Thanks. Your comment made me smile. Finally, someone understands what I am trying to do.

#145 69 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wow, didn't know boards have only a 2 month warranty

They will generally go past that.
My AC/DC blew the sound board about 9 months old.
Stern still sent me a new one.

#146 68 days ago

Sorry for the lack of updates last night...work got in the way. Will have plenty to show tonight. Stay tuned.

#147 68 days ago

The journey continues.

1487380803473719320596 (resized).jpg

#148 68 days ago

Now for the backside.

1487383725609-2048870730 (resized).jpg

#149 68 days ago

1487386530740-1188104147 (resized).jpg

#150 68 days ago

God bless you in taking that apart.

I'd pay someone cause I wouldn't have the patience to do it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Showbiz Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milton, MA
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.95
$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
€ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Contact
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 18.99
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 315 posts in topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.