20170603_101549 (resized).jpg
20170603_101518 (resized).jpg
20170602_100535 (resized).jpg
20170602_100514 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170530-100521 (resized).png
20170407_151401 (resized).jpg
ab5e79c3bc6e64565ccd97817921ca6e (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #26 Teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #97 Vid1900 discusses re-clearcoating a new playfield. Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #111 Another photo of the teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #117 Photos of the teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #118 Photos of the teardown in progress. Posted by xfassa (7 years ago)

Post #142 Stern's warranty. Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 7 years ago

All - After much discussion with the good folks at Stern, it has been made clear to me that a playfield replacement will not be forthcoming. I am not starting this thread to create endless debates about Stern quality. The intent of this thread is simple, document the process of stripping down a playfield, having it professionally cleared, and reasssembling. I can't guarantee it will be super exciting but it may be useful for some considering this route. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to see pics/videos of the disassembly process. My goal will be to complete the teardown by next Tuesday. And awaaaaaaaay we go!

Note: Stern's support department and staff have been nothing short of professional throughout the process. I firmly believe their hands are tied. Again, I really don't want to turn this into a Stern bashing thread. I appreciate Stern keeping the pinball hobby alive. I believe they took a controversial position on playfield replacements but I respect their decision.

Here is the chipping that occurred on my playfield within 20 plays. Honestly, it hasn't been played a whole lot but I imagine it will only get worse with play. As you can see, there is a big chip and below it is lifted. I see similar lifting at the drain hole.

GBLE Chipping (resized).jpgGBLE Chipping (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

So is it just yours they denied replacing or are we all screwed? You're being very calm and nice to Stern after they sold you an $8k damaged item.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

You're being very calm and nice to Stern after they sold you an $8k damaged item.

Again, not interested in rehashing the multiple Stern quality threads/posts. Stern made a decision about my machine. I am moving on and making it right. I choose to take my lemons and make lemonade. Life is full of injustices.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Again, not interested in rehashing the multiple Stern quality threads/posts. Stern made a decision about my machine. I am moving on and making it right. I choose to take my lemons and make lemonade. Life is full of injustices.

Either you're a defeated man or you're a much better person than me.

#6 7 years ago

Let's reserve all prime numbered post numbers for KPG up front

#7 7 years ago

I would definitely be interested in seeing more if you are up to it. Goodluck with your restoration.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Either you're a defeated man if you're a much better person than me.

Just pretending its a $350 mod.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Devilsmuse:

I would definitely be interested in seeing more if you are up to it. Goodluck with your restoration.

Just got it moved to my work area upstairs. Once I chase my wife off the machine, I will take some pics.

#10 7 years ago

Following

#11 7 years ago

I will get started right after this update and a few games.

20170214_194044 (resized).jpg20170214_194044 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

I appreciate your attitude. If it is just the shooter lane that is chipping, you can sand that part down and re-clear yourself without having to strip the whole playfield. I've done it on a couple of old Williams games. Whatever you decide to do, good luck

#13 7 years ago

Make sure the inserts are glued well. I just finished a Shadow restoration and I've got edge ghosting in less than 100 games. Not sure if the inserts not tight happened in the Ghostbusters playfields. I've thought of buying a second Ghostbusters playfield and reclearing as a backup

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I appreciate your attitude. If it is just the shooter lane that is chipping, you can sand that part down and re-clear yourself without having to strip the whole playfield. I've done it on a couple of old Williams games. Whatever you decide to do, good luck

The shooter lane is THAT chipped after 20 (twenty) games. Sanding and re-clearing that small section does nothing for the entire rest of the playfield which also has defective clear coat.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

If it is just the shooter lane that is chipping, you can sand that part down and re-clear yourself without having to strip the whole playfield.

Stern sent me the sandpaper and clear. If I thought the issue was limited to the shooter lane, I might of considered it. I figure this is a very fun machine that family/friends enjoy, might as well fix it properly.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Here is the chipping that occurred on my playfield within 20 plays. Honestly, it hasn't been played a whole lot but I imagine it will only get worse with play. As you can see, there is a big chip and below it is lifted. I see similar lifting at the drain hole.

Quoted from xfassa:

I am not starting this thread to create endless debates about Stern quality.

So, knowing what you know, I trust that you've already sent them even more money for a BM66 and an AS. Or, did you actually learn from this experience?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

The shooter lane is THAT chipped after 20 (twenty) games. Sanding and re-clearing that small section does nothing for the entire rest of the playfield which also has defective clear coat.

I guess I don't get how you know the rest of the playfield will also chip, unless you know there is more damage. I would just fix the lane and play the hell out of it. If the rest chips up, then you go and do a total strip down. You lose nothing by waiting to see what happens. If you are right, it is the same amount of work either way. Just my thoughts, but it is your game and I respect your decision to do whatever you want to do.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

So, knowing what you know, I trust that you've already sent them even more money for a BM66 and an AS. Or, did you actually learn from this experience?

Literally laughing out loud. Lord help me, I'm just not that bright (Courtesy Homer Simpson).

Yes, I bought BM66SLE (freaking gorgeous machine). Did not purchase AS. I prefer not to comment on my future pinball buying. Let's just say we all get to make decisions in life but we must also live by those decisions. Stern made there decision and I made mine.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Stern sent me the sandpaper and clear. If I thought the issue was limited to the shooter lane, I might of considered it. I figure this is a very fun machine that family/friends enjoy, might as well fix it properly.

Okay, I've only been following the Stern quality issues stuff at arms length, but I guess I want to understand this... Do I have this correct?

Your game had major chipping to the clear in the shooter lane within 20 games. This sucks, but can happen. There is additional damage however elsewhere in the game. Stern said that with all of the damage, they will not replace it, but they will send you sandpaper and clear to fix it?

You're also very okay with this, so I guess my question is... why?

I am debating picking up a new Stern relatively soon. I am not that concerned about bad playfields if they eventually replace them, which from what I have seen and heard, they do. But, I guess I don't understand the "line" here. I personally am also okay the clear chipping in the ball trough... but if it is more, what is the line that it changes from "don't replace" to "replace"?

#20 7 years ago

Sorry to hear Stern aren't going to do the right thing and just swap your playfield but good luck man definitely going to follow the thread and watch your progress.

#21 7 years ago

If you don't mind me asking, who is your distributor?

I have a friend with the exact same issue and they are replacing it.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I am debating picking up a new Stern relatively soon. I am not that concerned about bad playfields if they eventually replace them, which from what I have seen and heard, they do. But, I guess I don't understand the "line" here. I personally am also okay the clear chipping in the ball trough... but if it is more, what is the line that it changes from "don't replace" to "replace"?

There is no line. It's very subjective and is dependent on the time of the month, phase of the moon, strength of the yen, etc.

#23 7 years ago

I was going to do that with one of my games, but I got approved for a replacement playfield.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

All - After much discussion with the good folks at Stern, it has been made clear to me that a playfield replacement will not be forthcoming. I am not starting this thread to create endless debates about Stern quality. The intent of this thread is simple, document the process of stripping down a playfield, having it professionally cleared, and reasssembling. I can't guarantee it will be super exciting but it may be useful for some considering this route. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to see pics/videos of the disassembly process. My goal will be to complete the teardown by next Tuesday. And awaaaaaaaay we go!
Note: Stern's support department and staff have been nothing short of professional throughout the process. I firmly believe their hands are tied. Again, I really don't want to turn this into a Stern bashing thread. I appreciate Stern keeping the pinball hobby alive. I believe they took a controversial position on playfield replacements but I respect their decision.

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

#25 7 years ago

Curious what your plan is on this. Do you have insert ghosting? Do you plan to feather the chipped clear and reclear? If your clear is not sticking and you clear over it does that fix the problem? I wish you the best luck, you might be better off just to touch up the chips. Let us know how it turns out.

#26 7 years ago

Made some progress. Mostly in the the subway. Just takes time to document.

20170214_221804 (resized).jpg20170214_221804 (resized).jpg

20170214_221823 (resized).jpg20170214_221823 (resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago

Small claims court?

#28 7 years ago

IMG_3145 (resized).JPGIMG_3145 (resized).JPG

#29 7 years ago

This thread is an attention seeking, idiotic, self serving thread. I have a brand new playfield coming to me from Stern via my distributor guaranteed that just got approved.

FYI, you must be an absolute incompetent negotiator if you can't seek a compromise from a company within a stone's throw from your location. 95% of us could only dream to be that lucky. Call your thread what it is. Which is needy for attention even when you claim you are seeking none.

Good grief.

#30 7 years ago

This makes no sense but you made your decision so goodluck!

#31 7 years ago

I played a very recently delivered GB just 2 weeks ago & the CC was chipping off @ the Scolari targets.

A local guy received a NIB MET a few weeks back & it too is chipping

Sorry to see you're having issues too.

Could the inserts ghost after you CC?

Did you buy this from a distro or Pinsider flipper?

Tell me this part of a legal strategy...

#32 7 years ago

What I don't understand, how many tens of thousands of play fields did Stern ship before 2016 that had no issues...why all of a sudden?

Not to put any of the new companies down, but one would think that they would be having clear coat issues, not the company who's been doing it for 30 years.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Stern sent me the sandpaper and clear.

Dude this is like telling you to F off! Did they send you a box of Kleenex too....wow.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

I would have a sh*t hemmorhage if they sent me sandpaper and clear and told me to fix it myself. That's so bush league. Good luck with your resto, will watch with interest.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Stern.. such nice guys! Did they send you some lube so it doesn't hurt so much when they bent you over?

Kidding of course. I'm glad you have all that time and are cool with doing all that work on a $8,000 product you purchased. Maybe Stern is hoping everyone is like you and will just fix the mistakes that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out !

#36 7 years ago

they should have sent you extra sand paper and clear for the 15000 bm sle!

#37 7 years ago

Well this thread makes me wanna go cry in the corner

#38 7 years ago

I would have put more plays on it to see if it chips in other places and to see if the inserts have any problems. If its chipping off your going to have to sand it all off to get the new clear to stick or its just going to happen again.

#39 7 years ago

Come on guys...he said in post 1 that he's just documenting the teardown and leave the stern politics out of it. Is that so hard to understand?

Regardless of the thought process behind it, I for one am really curious to see the process of deconstructing a new Stern playfield.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

This thread is an attention seeking, idiotic, self serving thread. I have a brand new playfield coming to me from Stern via my distributor guaranteed that just got approved.
FYI, you must be an absolute incompetent negotiator if you can't seek a compromise from a company within a stone's throw from your location. 95% of us could only dream to be that lucky. Call your thread what it is. Which is needy for attention even when you claim you are seeking none.
Good grief.

Dont be a jerk Mr I am the best negotiator in the universe !

#41 7 years ago

Trying to be positive about this thread, I would have recommended that you put mylar at the lane and drain hole and play a whole lot more than 20 games on it. If you re-clear and the inserts start ghosting under the old clear and get more flaking/chipping, you can kiss that playfield goodbye unless you want to strip it again, sand down the new clear, and syringe clear the ghosting inserts and reassemble. I guess now Stern will send out 10 mil bottles of clear with a small brush fixed to the lid and sandpaper as a bonus in every box. What a shit show.

#42 7 years ago

i did the shooter lane repair on my GB pro. if you need any help let me know. definitly get more grits of sandpaper then Stern provided. Use a power palm sander. Also let each coat of clear dry 12 hours between coats.

20160630_201039 (resized).jpg20160630_201039 (resized).jpg

20160711_183405 (resized).jpg20160711_183405 (resized).jpg

20160717_144954 (resized).jpg20160717_144954 (resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago

I would think it would be nice if you could get a non-cleared playfield to start with (an impossibility I know), in order to have someone like Kruzman clear it with a quality clear. If the factory clear is brittle and/or not adhering to the playfield wood, inserts, and art properly, it seems like you'd pretty much have to try to strip all of it before you put new clear down, otherwise you are building a nice new foundation on top of shifting sand, and I'd expect that the factory clear would continue to delaminate from everything (wood, inserts, art - as previously noted) underneath your nice new clear. Do you (Xfassa) share these concerns? And if so, what are your plans for stripping the factory clear without damaging the art? Seems dicey to me. I do wish you luck though.

#44 7 years ago

I am glad Stern is stepping up, At least it's an effort. However, I feel for the guys who have never done a play field swap. Or have to pay someone else to come out and do a play field swap. If you haven't done this hopefully you will take lots of pics! and zip ties with write tab on them should be used or something equivalent. Some will have no problems and were all here when you get lost. It's not hard it's just time consuming and without good records it can be challenging. 1 Note: Do not over tighten when putting it back together. It needs to be snug not Schwarzenegger tight. Good Luck. Clear coat the thing like glass before you put it back in. Ok that the over the top things I do. Never mind that last part. I am the idiot that restored a FT way over the top that someone bashed a few months back about what games not to restore. I never said anything but you wait until you see it. Way over the top. It will be at the Texas show. Wait I'll have two of them there! I learned last year with CFTBL it's nice to show off not as fun when no one can play it. So that will change this year.
oh well they look gorgeous and it makes me feel good to have something so nice in my collection. Plus, If I cared about what every one else thought, I would be a depressed person all the time. And for some reason I am not. And I would not own a GB which by the way is one fun game.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I am glad Stern is stepping up, At least it's an effort.

Really!? Sending out some sandpaper and some clear is stepping up? We are talking about an 8k product, not to mention xfassa is a BM66 buyer so he is a valuable customer imo & this is how they step up for him to solve their QC issues and faulty products?

I'm sorry but I couldn't respectfully disagree with you anymore if I tried, that is not stepping up at all, it's downright pathetic and Stern should be ashamed of themselves if they consider this a resolution for a loyal and valid customer.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I'm sorry but I couldn't respectfully disagree with you anymore if I tried, that is not stepping up at all, it's downright pathetic and Stern should be ashamed of themselves if they consider this a resolution for a loyal and valid customer.

+1

#47 7 years ago

I'm sorry you're getting boned by Stern, but good luck with your tear down. I hope it turns out really nice.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Really!? Sending out some sandpaper and some clear is stepping up? We are talking about an 8k product, not to mention xfassa is a BM66 buyer so he is a valuable customer imo & this is how they step up for him to solve their QC issues and faulty products?

Dear xfassa,

Thank you for your purchase of our $15,000 Batman '66 Super Limited Edition. Please accept this sandpaper and bottle of clearcoat to "fix" your $8,000 Ghost busters Limited Edition as a token of our gratitude.

Stern Pinball

#49 7 years ago

This thread would lead anyone new to the hobby to believe that Ghostbusters is a 20-30 year old game.

#50 7 years ago

I am sorry, but this would be 100% unacceptable for me personally. I can't begin to imagine what the details are of your situation between you and Stern, but I would have told Gary to wipe his ass with that sandpaper. Then promptly filed a lawsuit in small claims for $10K(max amount in Peoria Co.) for damages.

sand (resized).jpgsand (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Williamston, MI
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 49.99
There are 359 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-le-playfield-restoration-begins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.