(Topic ID: 160651)

Ghostbusters LE Bubble?!! Who is the sucker?

By kklank

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by gweempose
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
960_(resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

to me that makes sense.
Buy the LE on the secondary for a discount. The majority will drop dramatically. Some will go up.
IF it really is your dream theme then I can see shelling out for the LE. For example a Good friend really loves GB and has 2 young boys. He got in early on GBLE because he will never sell it and it is his first NIB experience. That makes sense, but he is buying with emotion and not with logic. Splurging on emotion is all good.

The bad/mediocre LEs may drop dramatically, but the decent/great games typically have a small dip within the first year, then return to at or above NIB pricing - used METLE, ACDCLE, TRONLE, SMLE, LOTRLE, TWDLE, STLE, WoZLE, etc are all at or above NIB pricing. I'm 100% positive GB will be in this category - there may be a *couple* of used LEs that sell under NIB pricing for 6-12 months after release, but then the prices will start to tick upward. And those few that do sell under NIB pricing will be snapped up really quickly...

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Sounds like the op is bitter because he didn't get an LE at the original msrp.

As I said before, I'm cool with it. Am I happy about it? No not really but this is capitalism at its best. Heck I was willing to pay a little more because I couldn't get one from a distributor. This is exactly what I did for a SmaugLE spot (paid 8k)and I'm not crying about it. There's actually some pinsiders out there that have no idea this kind of inflation is happening though. I was one of them. Like I said if someone wants to pay 10k plus for this machine than go ahead but for me no way. I wouldn't pay that for any nib. I'm not saying the sellers of these additional slots are bad guys by any means. they are just taking what someone is willing to fork out. I just thought some pinsiders might be interested in knowing this.

#53 7 years ago

Who cares what people choose to spend their money on

I bought my GB LE for $8k shipped, I love the art package better then other versions, and the fact there will only be 249 other copies of it here in the states. To *ME* that was worth the cost of entry. Why argue against what I was willing to pay? Im going to have the same smile on my face someone who spent $5K on a Pro, and we'll both have fun.

If I want to sell it down the road, I doubt I will get less then the $8K I paid for it. Even then, if I have to take a couple hundred dollar hit, who cares- that's cheap entertainment. Making opinions on what others spend their money on is stupid.

#54 7 years ago

dont foget games like this are always in the mix with the LE hype
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-x-men-le-stern-2012-2028

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I did order a premium. Not sure what you're talking about.

If You were crazy enough to pay $9000 for an LE that would be almost $3000 more for a premium??? For a backglass and cab art?

PT Barnum said there is an ass for every seat.

This definitely reminds Me of the MoPLE release! I bought my HUO MoPLE for $7200 with over $2000 in mods. Bought my HUO TWDLE for $6900 with $1500 in mods with custom work done on it by Steve at PR.

Some guys don't give the value to mods I do. Spent a lot of hours installing TRC mod in AC/DC as well as pop bumper caps on a STLE. No one even considers the time to install some of these mods!!!

And we haven't mentioned the next Stern release may be the biggest WOW ever!

Think there will be a few guys jammed with their second LE...IMHO

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

dont foget games like this are always in the mix with the LE hype
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-x-men-le-stern-2012-2028

You forgot to link the for sale ads for TRON LE, Black Spiderman and AC/DC LTBR & BIB too.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

This definitely reminds Me of the MoPLE release! I bought my HUO MoPLE for $7200 with over $2000 in mods. Bought my HUO TWDLE for $6900 with $1500 in mods with custom work done on it by Steve at PR.

And both of those were crazy good deals - I'll buy your METLE right now for exactly what you paid for it! Hell, I'll even toss in a few hundred just for taking such good care of it!

Quoted from sepins:

And we haven't mentioned the next Stern release may be the biggest WOW ever!
Think there will be a few guys jammed with their second LE...IMHO

Not if it is Aerosmith - even with an LCD, I won't be buying one.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

You forgot to link the for sale ads for TRON LE, Spiderman Black and AC/DC LTBR & BIB too.

I think you missed the point... not every game is a winner for the LE speculation wa the point. WWE, Mustang, TWD, AV, XM

TronLE is the exception to the norm.

#59 7 years ago

Who is the "sucker"?

The sucker is the one paying $10k for a GBLE. Period.

I am getting one because i like the art package, the extras worth it? Not really, but I don't care.

The LE "limited" anything is the most over blown, over dramatized bunch of BS in pinball. It is what it is, just another option for consumers and a way for Stern and others to capitalize.

#60 7 years ago

OP why do you need a LE? Investment or do you need the LE that bad? I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but this is the worst time to buy. They just sold out and in my opinion, this is the peak for GBLE.

Yea, an LE would have been nice, but some people choose to buy as an investment and flip. I personally despise this, but it is what it is. If there was no buying demand right now, there would be no price increase. Let them keep 8k tied up in a machine that won't appreciate.

The Premium is the same game, minus the LE art. Put on custom trim and save a boatload and stick it to em. I've seen your ads and you sound desperate. (Maybe it was someone else, but the ad I read was asking to get raped on the price)

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think you missed the point... not every game is a winner for the LE speculation wa the point. WWE, Mustang, TWD, AV, XM

You might check prices on TWD as it is at or above NIB now.

So good LE investments (used is at or above NIB pricing) were: METLE, ACDCLE, TRONLE, SMLE, LOTRLE, TWDLE, STLE, WoZLE, GBLE* (hasn't been a year since release)

Not so good LE investments (used is below NIB pricing): WWE, Mustang, AV, XM, KISS* (hasn't been over a year since release)

2 ratio that you come out ahead. I'll take those odds any day.

#62 7 years ago

What a non-family member does or doesn't do with their possessions usually doesn't concern me.

What a non-family member spends on something usually doesn't concern me. None of my business.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

And both of those were crazy good deals - I'll buy your METLE right now for exactly what you paid for it! Hell, I'll even toss in a few hundred just for taking such good care of it!

Not if it is Aerosmith - even with an LCD, I won't be buying one.

Not gonna be Aerosmith although I really like Aerosmith!!! Nuff said!!!

#64 7 years ago

This goes out to the guys who have been around a long time. Has this "buying multiple slots" thing been going on for a long time?
I mean I've bought a stle, kissle, and a gotle and never heard of it. I also have a SmaugLE that I and purchased from a fellow insider and never ran into this. Did it happen with acdc or Metallica ? Just curious. Maybe this kind of thing has been going on forever and I should never have started the thread in the first place. I have seen pinsiders buy bunches of machines from distributors to get a cheaper price and than sit on them for a few years and than sell them.... But this is different.
Either way, I'm not mad about it anyway. It's just fascinating to me. Maybe GBLE is that good. (Not being sarcastic)

#65 7 years ago

It seems to me that what people are doing with pinball machines is the same thing people do with concert tickets. They buy the stuff knowing full well they won't use it and just flip it for a profit. Who suffers? The fans who really wanted one but can't afford to--or just won't--pay a premium for something they should have had a shot at to begin with. That just sucks.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

You have to remember that most HUO pins have plenty of mods added to them. That helps keep values higher... artificially inflated in a way.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

2 ratio that you come out ahead. I'll take those odds any day.

The problem with your theory is that SMLE, LOTRLE (I paid $5200), ACDCLE, TRONLE, METLE and WOZLE (I paid $6500) all cost MUCH less than they do today.

Stern has taken out the flipper profit by raising prices. That simple. Maybe some will make $$ on GBLE, who knows.

Secondly, there are many more manufacturers and thousands of more pins coming onto the market now versus then.

As the new rolls out, people will sell the old pins to free up cash to get the new shiny stuff.

There isn't an unlimited amount of $$$ in pinball to drive prices up and keep them up forever. Just the nature of it. Out with the old and in with the new.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

OP why do you need a LE? Investment or do you need the LE that bad? I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but this is the worst time to buy. They just sold out and in my opinion, this is the peak for GBLE.
Yea, an LE would have been nice, but some people choose to buy as an investment and flip. I personally despise this, but it is what it is. If there was no buying demand right now, there would be no price increase. Let them keep 8k tied up in a machine that won't appreciate.
The Premium is the same game, minus the LE art. Put on custom trim and save a boatload and stick it to em. I've seen your ads and you sound desperate. (Maybe it was someone else, but the ad I read was asking to get raped on the price)

Dude. Did you not read the whole thread. For the second time. I did order a premium.
"Raped" is a little harsh.

#69 7 years ago

I'm in for GBLE for my collection, but like anything else in my collection if someone wants to offer me silly money for it it's got to go and I'll figure it out from there.
Powder coating after market isn't what I expected it to be. I like what Stern does and it comes out perfect. That to me makes it worth the extra from the premium to the LE.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

last TWDLE I saw was sold for 6500 and it was chock full of mods.

Quoted from Damonator:

STLE, WoZLE, GBLE*

STLE sells under original all the time. WOZLE sells under original (unless you are considering people that paid 6500 and waiting 3 years?). GBLE, time will tell but I woudl not count that so soon.

more than 50% you are going to loose out on and that is how it SHOULD be. Heck, you should be losing out on all these and the real reality is that teh high end "le" market continues to drop. if anything GBLE willl just expedite it. High end pins are dropping in price more rapidly now than in the past few years. Give it a few more and the seondary will be so saturated that I expect many LEs to be selling at premium prices or less.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

...and not every game is a loser. I think more will be in the loser bracket in the future though as the prices and selection keeps increasing.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

For sure if the next Stern game ( Aerosmith ) is color lcd, prices of red dot games will fall. 100%. All of them, over time. Go back to 1990 and the same happened.
I would 100% take a profit if I had a GBLE on order!

WOZ came out 5 years ago. Now we have Hobbit, Rob Zombie, BOP 2.0 and Lebowski with full color displays. Meanwhile, Stern's dot games still sell well and old games are still desired.

Display tech is irrelevant. It's already baked in the cake that the 90's B/W games are the pinnacle of design & fun. Collectors are still going to hold onto them and new collectors will always want them. Those games have something no new game ever has: reputation.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Who is the "sucker"?
The sucker is the one paying $10k for a GBLE. Period.
I am getting one because i like the art package, the extras worth it? Not really, but I don't care.
The LE "limited" anything is the most over blown, over dramatized bunch of BS in pinball. It is what it is, just another option for consumers and a way for Stern and others to capitalize.

So, what you are saying is that there should be no options? Everyone should be forced to buy a pro? I like the idea of the LE and it's differences. I don't mind paying the extra money for the art and the features.

We should all probably live in single wide trailers as well and have hot point appliances, vinyl flooring, and 80% efficient furnaces, correct? I mean, a 14x80' trailer is all you need right? Having a nice home with granite counter tops, Sub-Zero fridge, and nice carpet is stupid and just a way for people to capitalize on your stupidity?

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

last TWDLE I saw was sold for 6500 and it was chock full of mods.

Was that in USD? If so - chock that one up to killer deal/uninformed seller. Show me a TWDLE for sale right now for $6500.

Quoted from Whysnow:

STLE sells under original all the time.

Likewise, show me a STLE for sale right now for under $7500. I can show you 10 that are for sale or sold for more than $7500 in the past 6 months.

Quoted from iceman44:

The problem with your theory is that SMLE, LOTRLE (I paid $5200), ACDCLE, TRONLE, METLE and WOZLE (I paid $6500) all cost MUCH less than they do today.

It's not a theory, it's a fact. But yes, NIB prices were lower in the past...just as they will be higher in the future. The average price paid on a NIB GBLE shot up $500 in fact. Look for another jump when the LCD models come out. Pinflation sucks, but it's a permanent reality and will always aid in supporting past LE prices.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

IF it really is your dream theme then I can see shelling out for the LE. For example a Good friend really loves GB and has 2 young boys. He got in early on GBLE because he will never sell it and it is his first NIB experience. That makes sense, but he is buying with emotion and not with logic. Splurging on emotion is all good.

This is basically me. It's actually my 3rd NIB game, but I have two young boys who are obsessed with Ghostbusters right now (we have the cartoon DVD set and they love it), it's my all-time top dream theme that I've been whining for for years, and I had recently freed up the necessary money to go big. It's the first, and probably the last, LE I go NIB. I'm a fan of the premium models generally, but with my all-time most wanted theme, I had to go all out.

People stocking up to flip kind of bums me out. If I had been left out in the cold unable to get an LE for my dream theme because somebody wanted to try to gobble up stock to resell at a higher price, I would have just passed. As big as a fan as I am, I refuse to pay a scalper's price for one. I hope there aren't lots of people out there who were hoping to get one that can't now.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

So, what you are saying is that there should be no options? Everyone should be forced to buy a pro? I like the idea of the LE and it's differences. I don't mind paying the extra money for the art and the features.

If you read what i said you would see that I love options, thankful for it, I bought an GBLE because i liked that version, same thing with TWDLE. Not a smart thing economically in my opinion.

Choice is a good thing, when people start breaking it down on how much $$ they are going to make flipping an LE these days or how much their NIB is going to hold up price wise, is foolish, overblown and over dramatized.

Prices WON'T/CAN'T keep going up, not that they won't try, but $10k pins won't become the norm in the future, end of story.

Maybe they can squeeze out a few hundred of them like TBL but I doubt even that many.

#77 7 years ago

Don't forget for a majority of those LE's people are quoting as increasing in value, there was more of a difference than just cab and backglass art.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

You have to remember that most HUO pins have plenty of mods added to them. That helps keep values higher... artificially inflated in a way.

Nope...lol It is like adding chrome to a motorcycle. You go through all of the work, spend a lot of money, and it looks great going down the road. BUT, you have to consider it the cost of the hobby.... you almost never recoup what you have in it....not even close. Most mods are pretty much the same. And before you disagree, think about all of the little things you did to your last new pin, from that special shooter rod, to LED's, to that custom light-up glittery turd you had to have to put in front of the South-Park toilet. Did you REALLY get your money back?

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Look for another jump when the LCD models come out. Pinflation sucks, but it's a permanent reality and will always aid in supporting past LE prices.

I disagree, pinflation is NOT a permanent reality and future price hikes will cut into sales across the board. There is a ceiling imho.

And it certainly won't aid in supporting past LE prices, just the opposite I think, new tech, LCD's etc. will only serve to drop prior LE's.

A glut of inventory, but as one that doesn't care about losing $$$, I expect it, it is what it is.

#80 7 years ago

I don't care about what my machine's value is until I try to sell it. I don't buy or sell based on value. I just get the games I want to own and sell the ones I don't.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I disagree, pinflation is NOT a permanent reality and future price hikes will cut into sales across the board. There is a ceiling imho.
And it certainly won't aid in supporting past LE prices, just the opposite I think, new tech, LCD's etc. will only serve to drop prior LE's.
A glut of inventory, but as one that doesn't care about losing $$$, I expect it, it is what it is.

OK - let's just agree to say that pinflation is a historical reality - neither one of us knows what's going to happen in the future. Is there a ceiling? Maybe. Are we on the front or back side of the recent price hikes? Dunno. Will a Chinese company start selling killer games for 1/2 the price? Again, dunno. Will all of the current pinball makers still be around in 5 years...or will there be more? *shrug* Will we all die from the return of Gozer the Gozerian next week? who knows.

I just look at history as it's often the best predictor of what will happen in the future. But in the end - I'm fine either way - I don't buy LEs as an investment.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I just look at history as it's often the best predictor of what will happen in the future. But in the end - I'm fine either way - I don't buy LEs as an investment.

Time will tell for sure.

I live in a world where the disclaimer "past performance is not indicative of future results" is part of daily life.

That said, you are correct, best thing to do is just have fun with pinball and not worry about losing money as an "investment".

#83 7 years ago

Got a tip yesterday from my broker - EF HUTTON . Buy GBLE at any price up to $9k, dump GBPREM for $7k while you still can and ignore GBPRO when priced more than $5.5k. This is you neighborhood PSA.

#84 7 years ago

This is all very simple, if you want a LE for whatever reason and can justify the cost, then buy the LE, if you cannot do the LE and want to, don't belittle the LE title, just get the premium or pro and be happy you could afford to do that. I have a Corolla, others have BMW's, both get me to what I want to go, I cannot afford or justify the price of the BMW so clearly I am not the customer for that.

If you bought a LE and paid 8 9 or 10K for it, clearly it was worth it to you, and others should not knock those who did, it was worth it to them, Hell a Honus Wagner baseball card can sell for a million plus bucks, I don't even know who he is, and I will never see a million bucks in my lifetime, some people have the luxury of buying items like this, I am not one of them, nor am I jealous of them for being able to purchase it, but I would love to know HOW they can afford to buy things like this.

Some people think the LE is worth what it cost's them, others don't, very simple, but do not belittle those who do, we all have things in life that are worth more to us than others.

Now if I can find a cheap AVLE I would be happy!

#85 7 years ago

Closing the thread at the OP's request.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-le-bubble-who-is-the-sucker/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.