(Topic ID: 226036)

#Where's the code? Ghostbusters Code Wish List, CODE UPDATE RELEASED!

By PanzerFreak

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,580 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you happy with the code support Ghostbusters has received?”

• Yes 99 votes
    31%
  • No 219 votes
    69%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20191012-233218 (resized).png
80781E57-3C30-4129-B2E5-C7CD8539FE94 (resized).jpeg
C8D5780F-018B-4292-B792-AFCD7B4FCC3F (resized).jpeg
20191003_123529 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
B06DDC07-7DA3-4AF6-A103-99A73C34ACCF (resized).jpeg
20190927_082932 (resized).jpg
5E8525F9-094C-4C14-B5E2-11E7F65EE381 (resized).jpeg
20190926_212443 (resized).jpg
20190926_224857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_2039082 (resized).jpg
20190926_183351 (resized).jpg
F29A168A-394D-4936-879D-755C06FCBAC1 (resized).jpeg
breaking-news (resized).png
08846C20-59DC-4FCF-912C-5F2DB3D3A637 (resized).jpeg
20190926_164802 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#373 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Ok, so 3 out of 59 games have incomplete code. Reason for mild concern, but at least its not endemic?
-mof

The Stern code issues started with the SAM games...since you could update with a USB Flash stick instead of having to burn a rom chip, it was super easy for the user to update...and because of that, they felt more confident about shipping games with preliminary code. The first game that was noticeably “unfinished” was Spider-Man, as it was missing animation for the 3rd Sandman mode...that was clear to the user. Lyman eventually updated the game with the Sandman animation & TONS more that made the game sing. Wheel of Fortune is the most notorious one, as the game was a flop, Stern was downsizing, and the programmer (Keith) left. The game has 4 wizard mode inserts, but were never used. It’s also lacking some polish with some missing sound FX & some of the Multiball end with a 00 Points display. Had those inserts not been there, you could probably consider the game pretty finished, as it’s still very robust, creative & fun.

Anyway, this has snowballed into a combination of games needing finish/polish updates for years, but also users demanding their subjective desires to be added to code.

#380 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

So are there truly only 3/59 unfinished (I hate to say only) modern Sterns?
-mof

Well, again, some claims of "unfinished" are subjective. You have people who say AC/DC is "unfinished" because the cannon inserts don't do what they expected...but that game is SOOOO deep and robust, c'mon, it's finished. The cannon inserts light up after you make a cannon shot...that counts as "use" - and when you take the rest of the context of the game into consideration...it's done. Anything else Lyman does to it is "gravy" at this point.

I'd say that anything with bugs or obvious missing things is "unfinished". Seems like GB falls into this category. WOF falls into that category. Not sure about other recent games...seems like many games like Aero, Deadpool, GOTG, Kiss got updates that people are happy with. People are complaining about Munsters, but I think that's because people don't like the rules & creative approach...not sure it's "missing" anything if you went and played one.

#386 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

(Now for that guy that bought a NIB WOF and is reading this, then please disregard what I just posted... the rest of you had a warning back in 2007, and ignored it, and that's your choice!)

I bought a NIB WOF when they were blowing them out for $2400...I knew what the code sitch was, but at that price it was worth it. Still a super fun game, I'd never discourage anyone from playing or buying one if you like how it plays.

#387 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Having prepared myself for avoiding any pain on a modern purchase...
I still think it's unreal that a company releases a modern pin for $5-10K and then it's not finished (5% of the time). That pretty much means they know they have a market that buys on emotion and not reason.

Almost NO game is "finished" upon release, and that's why I don't buy anymore. I was a NIB guinea pig long enough. That being said, there are TONS of great Stern games that are finished and fun. You can't go wrong with a LOTR, TSPP, FGY, Tron, Spidey, AC/DC, Met, IM...all top class amazing games! If the price is right, nothing wrong with some of the less-than-loved games like AP, BDK, Elvis, T3, Sopranos, RBION, WPT, CSI, NBA, Avatar, Stones.

At the end of the day, if you avoid new releases & do a bit of digging on older games you're interested in, you should be fine.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#391 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

So what ideas are on the table to get Stern's attention to bump this up and get this prioritized? 29 months is quite a bit of time... That's about 8 new pin releases that took priority?
-mof

The game sold well and is out of production. They really have no reason to prioritize it.

That being said, games like Avengers and Kiss got updates when they were well out of production. IMO it's good business, as it gives buyers faith that they won't ditch games in need, even if there isn't inherent monetary gain to do so for that particular game. At the end of the day, I think it's really up to Dwight.

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Personally I don't want to support a company that settles for "good enough" at today's all time high prices. Stern should be better than that.

You knew how they operated and what state the game was in when you bought it. Take responsibility. Only buy when the product is done. Period.

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

So, no one should ever buy new releases from Stern?

Exactly. I haven't since I bought STLE & someone at Stern told me "who cares, we have your money" when I inquired about a game feature not having any function....and never will again.

Quoted from Allibaster:

You make it sound like this whole issue is the customer's fault.

At this point, if you're on this site & pay attention to things, yes, it is the customer's fault. Games launching untested and unfinished IS WHAT STERN DOES.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It is false advertising. Are You a God is on the instruction card and still isn't in the game years later. Supposedly theres even a setting for it in the menu. That mode is supposed to be the final wizard mode for the game with the way its advertised.

You knew this when you bought it. Also there’s no way anyone could ever get to a wizard mode since the only mode in the game is “Who Brought The Dog, Airball, Drain”.

3 weeks later
#553 4 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Just got gb. The scoralli brothers drop targets cause a lot of air balls. Is there a fix for that?

Nope, that’s a “feature”. Just one of many lol

My condolences.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-final-code-update-wish-list-1?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.