(Topic ID: 226036)

#Where's the code? Ghostbusters Code Wish List, CODE UPDATE RELEASED!

By PanzerFreak

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,580 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you happy with the code support Ghostbusters has received?”

• Yes 99 votes
    31%
  • No 219 votes
    69%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20191012-233218 (resized).png
80781E57-3C30-4129-B2E5-C7CD8539FE94 (resized).jpeg
C8D5780F-018B-4292-B792-AFCD7B4FCC3F (resized).jpeg
20191003_123529 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
B06DDC07-7DA3-4AF6-A103-99A73C34ACCF (resized).jpeg
20190927_082932 (resized).jpg
5E8525F9-094C-4C14-B5E2-11E7F65EE381 (resized).jpeg
20190926_212443 (resized).jpg
20190926_224857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_2039082 (resized).jpg
20190926_183351 (resized).jpg
F29A168A-394D-4936-879D-755C06FCBAC1 (resized).jpeg
breaking-news (resized).png
08846C20-59DC-4FCF-912C-5F2DB3D3A637 (resized).jpeg
20190926_164802 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkmoon77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is it possible to edit Ecto Goggles animations using Pinball Browser?

I think so. I can see them in pinbrowser. But I don't think you can add more.

#870 4 years ago

Overall, the new code sounds great. And it seems like much of the changes are setting adjustable so certain new things can be dialed back to "original" if you want.

I'm not sure about slimer coming out on one hit though.

And my number one pet peeve with the storage facility lights being reversed is still the same.

#874 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Can you change the LEDs in the facility itself so you get the colors you want or is it in the dmd itself that you don't like?

I'm qoing to make them both red. It's the only thing that makes sense to me given the code constraints. But it makes the most sense that the 1st contained ghost is green, the second is red, and the 3rd lights the siren.

Current state is that first ghost in storage facility lights the red light. 2nd ghost lights the green light. 3rd ghost lights the red siren, the first red light, and all the other red lights.
So I can't just swap the red and green around or the 3rd ghost will light one green amongst all the other reds.
I don't know why it goes from red to green as it becomes "more unstable."

#875 4 years ago

I'm going to make them both red. It's the only thing that makes sense to me given the code constraints. But it makes the most sense that the 1st contained ghost is green, the second is red, and the 3rd lights the siren.

Current state is that first ghost in storage facility lights the red light. 2nd ghost lights the green light. 3rd ghost lights the red siren, the first red light, and all the other red lights.
So I can't just swap the red and green around or the 3rd ghost will light one green amongst all the other reds.
I don't know why it goes from red to green as it becomes "more unstable."

#880 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah better to do double reds to show there is a real problem!

Hmm... I wonder if I can replace the green light with a blinking red light?

#884 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I'd like to see them leave in all those cheat menu options. I mean why not?

I can't even imagine why they would go out of their way to remove it.

#887 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

what about yellow to warn?

Then it would go from red with the 1st ghost to yellow with the 2nd. That seems like a de-escelation?

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

RobF is a beta tester. I have sent him a PM so he can forward it to Dwight so he might change it

That would be amazing. I love all the code, but this is a huge source of confusion for people new to the game, and a big incongruity for me that is noticeable in literally every game I play!

Expectation: Green, then red, then siren
Reality: Red, then green, then siren!

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I don't get the confusion here. You're lighting the lights left to right and the colors are based on the lights in the movie...

Yeah, that's certainly a valid viewpoint.

But I don't think it is as intuitive as it could be that:
1st ghost in containment lights an ominous red light.
2nd ghost in containment lights a "everything seems safe" green light.
3rd ghost in containment lights a red siren and the 1st red light but not the 2nd green light.

#893 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Yeah, that's certainly a valid viewpoint.
But I don't think it is as intuitive as it could be that:
1st ghost in containment lights an ominous red light.
2nd ghost in containment lights a "everything seems safe" green light but the first red light stays on too.
3rd ghost in containment lights a red siren and the 1st red light but the 2nd ghost green light turns off.

Ideally, color changing lights would have been great here, but we are past that point.

#896 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I don't get the confusion here. You're lighting the lights left to right and the colors are based on the lights in the movie...

I just re-watched this scene:

It looks like there is an opportunity in code to better match this effect.

1st ball lights the red light, and with a sound effect, it then changes to green to indicate it is safely stored.
2nd ball lights the red light, but that light stays on, and the green light can stay on too, but a sound effect indicates a looming problem.
3rd ball lights the siren and the green light turn off.

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Did they change the dmd animations for locked balls? It still bugs me that you see 2 traps for the first ball and 1 trap for the second ball...

I didn't notice any change. In fact, they made a specific reference to not making any real changes to the containment multi-ball. But I could have missed it.

#909 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Why not just switch the bulbs around?

If I did, then the 3rd ball lock would light all the red lights, except one green light. As it is now, it lights all the red lights.

#910 4 years ago
Quoted from Bearcat:

Was there any mention of a vault edition?

Yes; they said there was no plans currently.

#918 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

"Light is green...trap is clean." It doesn't have anything to do with the storage facility becoming more or less unstable. It's never unstable. It explodes when "dickless" turns off the power. Watch the clip. Open the door to insert trap....red light. Insert trap....green light. Turn power off...sirens. The progression (on both the DMD and the physical faciltiy) match the scene exactly.
I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!

You are not crazy. It is just the difference between the current state - which is an imprecise summery of the movie rule-set that no one really remembers exactly until they re-watch the video, and another imprecise summery of the movie rule set (that may arguably be based slightly more loosely on the movie) but is a more intuitive state. The fact is that the device changes from dangerous to safe to emergency in a way that seems incongruous with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd ball trigger, and the rationale isn't explained as well as it could be.

I would be equally happy if they used sound effects, text, or call outs to explain the logic of the 1st 2nd 3rd ball as well. For example, if they made it clear that 1st ball is ghost is loaded, 2nd ball is ghost is safely transferred, and 3rd ball is the shutdown of the containment field, (which to your point, is what I think they were aiming for, although then the red light should be turned off on the 2nd ball when the green light comes on) -- and all of that was actually obvious in-game -- then great!

But as it is now, you have an incremental progression of 1st, 2nd and 3rd balls with lights that go (1) red, (2) red-green, and finally (3) red-red. It looks weird and could have used an update explaining it better.

#928 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Light is green, trap is clean is an iconic line from the movie. It does what the containment unit does in the movie. It changes from on, to "has a clean trap in it" to "dickless over here shut down the power".
If people really don't understand this because they don't remember that line, swap your bulbs to both be red and be happy. I would personally be miffed if they make it *not* like the movie.

It isn't like the movie. The red light does not turn off when the green light turns on. Nor are there callouts with any of that phrasing. It creates confusion as to the purpose that could be easily rectified. It is one of the major happenings in nearly every game and it is an extremely weak implementation that deserved to be revisited.

Also, the movie doesn't involve locking 3 balls in sequence. The pinball rules should blend with the movie in an intuitive way. The messaging is about balls 1, 2 and 3 being locked. Then an alarm. The messaging could have been much better, and the mismatched lighting doesn't help.

#933 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I suggest maybe revisit this after the official release.

Ha. I think your right!

#948 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I dont think anyone is being confused by this..

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks it could be better, then.

#974 4 years ago

For what it's worth, after re-watching a portion of the deadflip stream, I noticed that the new code is v1.15.xx

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Watch this:

Green light is on. I don't remember if the green light is usually on in the game or not.
Unlock the system, insert the trap, close and lock the system (red light goes on, green light goes off)
Then, light is green, trap is clean.
Later, there is an alarm when the containment unit is shut down.
You don't need callouts with that phrasing. The DMD tells you VERY clearly what you're doing. Are you seriously stuck staring at the light wondering why the green or red is on at any given point in time? If you are, look at the DMD. It makes the rules blend with the movie in an intuitive way.

Your tone makes it difficult to discuss it. You make it seem like I can't count to 3 and follow the game. I was merely sharing my opinion that there is room for improvement because the locks do not coincide with the movie nor logical game play. In fact, I posted that video earlier as evidence that they do not coordinate. If you care to discuss it, then look at the game logic:

1st ball locked will BLINK the red light, and then the red light turns solid after a few seconds. Sound clips do not match inserting a trap. What is the significance of a blinking red light that then turns solid red? The movie goes red, to green.

2nd ball locked BLINKS the green light, then the green light stays solid, while the red light continues to stay on the whole time. Why? Does the 1st ball indicate the trap is in. And getting a 2nd ball in, suggests the trap is clean and can be removed? If so, why are both lights blinking and remaining on the same way?

And if that movie line is so iconic, why not implement it during the game. Isn't this the prefect place for it?

Sure, we can all figure out that we've locked up another ball. But to say it is the same as the movie or that there isn't room for improvement is unfair.

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

You're making it too complicated. It is meant as a visual indication of how many balls the player has locked. And they made it mimic the movie as close as possible with the 2 lights they have, while also still giving the player that visual indication. It is a loose interpretation and was never meant to behave exactly as that scene.

Thank you. Of course you are right. Sometimes discussing a trivial thing makes it seem like it isn't trivial and not worthy of discussion.

My original point for bringing it up is that the storage multi-ball is a pretty big happening that occurs in almost every game (especially given the current code that makes other neat things harder to achieve). I see it all the time, and to my eye, it was always weird that it went, red to green to emergency. I know the movie goes from red to green when they are cleaning a trap, and the game needs to blend the movie logic with what 1, 2 and 3 balls do in game, but given how big of a moment achieving storage multi-ball is (especially for the more casual players), I would have liked them to spend some time enhancing it. Blinking red lights that turn into solid red lights, Red lights that stay on when green lights come on, getting a 2nd ball locked in is equated to pulling a trap out... it is all just a bit disjointed to me.

To your point, it isn't a big deal, but it was worthy of revisiting in my opinion.

#990 4 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I wasn't intending to be harsh, but when you've said this you've called it things like "weak implementation" and you stated to me that the movie doesn't include locking three balls, like I'm an idiot who doesn't realize that. So, excuse me for my response sounding harsh, I'll try realizing that pinball machines use balls from here on our while I try to discuss this.
My question that I think you took offense to was real, by the way - are you *really* staring at just the lights on the playfield to indicate what is going on with it? If so, I can see your confusion, but the majority of people, particularly those watching someone else play, will look at the DMD to understand what is going on. The DMD makes it really clear what is going on.
The BLINKING that you are now highlighting above is a common occurrence in pinball machines to indicate where a ball is. It is supposed to be a blending of the two mediums, not the exact same.
As for not including that line, it wouldn't make sense as to what is going on in the same intuitive way.
Look, I can say this with some knowledge behind it - most people playing the game don't stare at the lights and try to figure out what is going on using mainly them, they instead either take the attitude of "just flip" or look up at the DMD from time to time to see what they are doing. They will also take audio cues.
Locking the second ball and declaring the 'light is green, trap is clean' is not intuitive in the pinball world. Does that mean you just lost your ball? Maybe it cleared out the earlier locked ball? Now you're stuck trying to read the DMD and interpret the audio cue. It doesn't make sense.
The lights aren't labeled. They don't have nearly the same issue, so having the light pattern attempt to roughly follow the movie scene makes sense.

I do appreciate you taking the time to read my thoughts and put together a response and participate in the discussion. I certainly understand your view. And apparently, so do the folks at Stern considering they opted for the method you are faithfully supporting. I did not intend to insult you by referencing that the movie doesn't lock balls. It was intended to highlight the point that the two mediums do not line up perfectly. If you think it is great the way it is, you are certainly entitled to that opinion, and should be very happy with that feature of the game, as-is. I still think there exists better methods of synchronizing the game with the movie and making the experience better overall, both visually and with sound. But that's just me, and it's moot anyway given that they said they didn't really change anything with the storage facility.

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from TTARider:

Please...... Tell ... Me.... You...Are....Kidding....?

Yes. He's kidding. He actually thinks there was real merit in the discussion and appreciates the free exchange of opinion on the subject.

#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Two things I'll be turning off with the update. 1. disabling allowing modes to be completed just by attempting them. 2. disabling the ghost shot from spotting mode shots. For a decent to good player I think leaving both of those options on will make the game too easy.

Could you clarify the 2nd one?

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Damn. I log off for the day, see 30+ posts and swear code had to drop. But no, more talk about storage facility multiball

It's Pinside. There were 3 posts discussing an opinion on a subject. 3 posts arguing that the person shouldn't have that opinion. And 20 posts about how there are too many posts on the subject.

#1032 4 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

Please stop banging your head against a wall

Banging my head against the wall? No.

Checking the website for the new code every few hours? Yup.

#1033 4 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

Please stop banging your head against a wall

Banging my head against the wall? No.

Checking the website for the new code every few hours? Yup.

#1038 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's one thing I wish the game had at this point, Slimer MB that is a relatively easy to achieve MB with progression based rules. Starts by hitting Slimer 25x or something. Make it a standalone mode about progressing through all slimer related scenes from the first film (he's not in the second one much). That would be a lot of fun.

Does he still come out on occasion to slime the playfield? Even if he heads back immediately... It's fun to see him in action and I rather liked the parallel clean-up-the-slime gameplay.

#1047 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would really like to see an "Are You Sure You Are a God" super duper wizard mode lol.

I heard they are working on a new mode called, "Are you still a God?" and are starting to think about a successor called, "What about now?"

#1061 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

ooo. could you imagine all the new features he could add in that time?

HA!

#1090 4 years ago

So you all know it's here, right?

#1091 4 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

- Added GOD MODE adjustment.
- The settings are NORMAL or GOD MODE. The game defaults to NORMAL.
- If set to GOD MODE, when you start a game you will start at the begining
of "We Are Ready To Believe You" wizard mode. You can add players or you
can plunge the ball. Plunging the ball will start the multiball.
- If you complete "We Are Ready To Believe You" you will start "ARE YOU A
GOD?". When "ARE YOU A GOD?" ends your game will end.

This is going to be fun!

#1121 4 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Just played 4 or 5 games. I am technically working from home today, so I couldn't focus on the game that deeply, but I am really liking what I am seeing so far. Lots of nice little touches and changes to callouts, some new lighting effects, and I noticed even the backbox light flashing now during certain jackpots and other events. the Playfield multipliers are way easy to get going now, almost too easy, it seemed like I almost always had a multiplier going through most of my games, which would be a rare occurrence on the old code. Looking forward to doing a deep dive on this later tonight after work/dinner/gym so I can work up to We Are ready to believe you!
Did anyone have a chance to look through the game options to see if we can start the game at We Are Ready To Believe you? That would be an amazing stand alone game to play for dollars with your buddies.

Sure can!

If set to GOD MODE, when you start a game you will start at the begining
of "We Are Ready To Believe You" wizard mode. You can add players or you
can plunge the ball. Plunging the ball will start the multiball.
- If you complete "We Are Ready To Believe You" you will start "ARE YOU A
GOD?". When "ARE YOU A GOD?" ends your game will end.
- If you do not complete "We Are Ready To Believe You" the game will end.
- Added a GOD MODE champion. If the game is set to NORMAL this will not be
seen in the attract mode.
- If GOD MODE is enabled you cannot MATCH, win a replay, or qualify for
other high scores champions.

#1301 4 years ago

Does anyone know about how long colordmd has responded to code changes in the past? I'm trying to set expectations.

#1343 4 years ago
Quoted from Blambo:

Oh wow, thanks! I didn't realize I was using unofficial code. I'm the second owner of the machine I bought a few months ago. Hopefully someone takes the newest Stern code and inserts the music again.

They have. I recently installed it and it is great.

#1430 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Nothing worked for me except using a different flash drive. The first one I used I had used before to install 1.16, so it's not like the flash drive was the problem. I don't know what they did but I'm guessing it's a bug introduced in 1.16. Quite frustrating really...

Ditto. I went through 8 memory sticks before one worked. And I used ones that worked before. All formatted, and reformatted the same way. It just took some persistence.

2 weeks later
#1530 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Located the fault. Trough receiver cable was loose!

If it helps, the few times I had a loose cable, I ziptied them together. I figured if they came loose once...

1 week later
#1535 4 years ago

It seems as though ColorDMD has updated their code. Has anyone tried it?

EDIT: Nevermind... It looks like they just updated the code for their display port function.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 103.00
15,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkmoon77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-final-code-update-wish-list-1?tu=hawkmoon77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.