(Topic ID: 226036)

#Where's the code? Ghostbusters Code Wish List, CODE UPDATE RELEASED!

By PanzerFreak

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,580 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you happy with the code support Ghostbusters has received?”

• Yes 99 votes
    31%
  • No 219 votes
    69%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20191012-233218 (resized).png
80781E57-3C30-4129-B2E5-C7CD8539FE94 (resized).jpeg
C8D5780F-018B-4292-B792-AFCD7B4FCC3F (resized).jpeg
20191003_123529 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
B06DDC07-7DA3-4AF6-A103-99A73C34ACCF (resized).jpeg
20190927_082932 (resized).jpg
5E8525F9-094C-4C14-B5E2-11E7F65EE381 (resized).jpeg
20190926_212443 (resized).jpg
20190926_224857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_2039082 (resized).jpg
20190926_183351 (resized).jpg
F29A168A-394D-4936-879D-755C06FCBAC1 (resized).jpeg
breaking-news (resized).png
08846C20-59DC-4FCF-912C-5F2DB3D3A637 (resized).jpeg
20190926_164802 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Linear modes is probably the most common complaint. It's built into the playfield inserts. You can't start on the top rung of a ladder. However, it isn't as bad as some people make it seem. There's no one with a gun to your head saying "start WBTD". But it is the easiest and safest to start, so I get why people do it. Choosing a riskier, albeit shorter, ladder and missing can put you in jail. Repetition goes hand-in-hand with linearity. Getting to the higher modes takes some doing. You simply can't get to SP without completing three lower modes, assuming you also don't start another ladder accidentally. My wife has never played SP in the year and half we've had the game. Needless to say, she isn't a GB fan.

Although I understand linear modes being a complaint, it is one of the things that I hope is *not* changed about the game with the new code. Ghostbusters is an excellent game that is different in how the modes are played.

I think if anything, there should be a few things that you can start other than the modes (perhaps a Scoleri brothers thing, a gear up thing, and a Subway thing?) so you end up with some variety, but if they make it so that you can progress through the scenes in any order, that would make it play a lot like every other game, and would kill the narrative arch that it was clearly set up to tell.

Glad to see it's still being updated. I check in on these threads every few months not really expecting anything, nice to hear it's happening.

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Codewise, I never understood the request to remove the mode progressions. I think it is brilliant how the three ladders are progressions related to specific story lines or scenes from the movie. It's also well thought out that the easiest ladder to start is the most difficult to finish (and vice versa). It would be step backwards if this is changed with the upcoming update.

Yeah, exactly! I wouldn't mind some stuff around that being added, but it has options. I like that this game is different than the rest. It works for what it is like that. It could definitely use some polish and would be good to have some other stuff happen that can break up the ladder options a bit, but if it is fundamentally changed to be a more normal game, I know in going to like it less.

1 month later
#794 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I honestly think they just paid for an Ernie Hudson cameo video and cropped out the cameo logo.

Nah, Ernie doesn't do promos for businesses on cameo. He's a cool dude and I'm sure he did this because they asked. I know he really enjoys being part of the pinball machine.

#805 4 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Does he know if Bill Murray is in for ghost busters 3?

No idea. And even if he did know, he wouldn't tell me. And even if he did, I wouldn't go share that information because it wouldn't be my place.

Having said that, if Murray had as large of a role in the more recent Ghostbusters movie as he did, it would be crazy if he completely turned down an actual sequel, especially now that Hudson and Akyroyd are confirmed.

Quoted from Rager170:

Hey, just going off of what I have heard. And as far as using his audio, thats simple to sign off on, but as I have heard, he refuses to do anything more with Ghostbusters and that seems to be true..

It's impossible to speculate if he had to sign off on his audio being used. I would bet that he did not, based on when that movie was made, retain the rights for his audio from within the movie. If he had done custom voicework, it would be different.

#927 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

You are not crazy. It is just the difference between the current state - which is an imprecise summery of the movie rule-set that no one really remembers exactly until they re-watch the video...

Light is green, trap is clean is an iconic line from the movie. It does what the containment unit does in the movie. It changes from on, to "has a clean trap in it" to "dickless over here shut down the power".

If people really don't understand this because they don't remember that line, swap your bulbs to both be red and be happy. I would personally be miffed if they make it *not* like the movie.

#978 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

It isn't like the movie. The red light does not turn off when the green light turns on. Nor are there callouts with any of that phrasing. It creates confusion as to the purpose that could be easily rectified. It is one of the major happenings in nearly every game and it is an extremely weak implementation that deserved to be revisited.
Also, the movie doesn't involve locking 3 balls in sequence. The pinball rules should blend with the movie in an intuitive way. The messaging is about balls 1, 2 and 3 being locked. Then an alarm. The messaging could have been much better, and the mismatched lighting doesn't help.

Watch this:

Green light is on. I don't remember if the green light is usually on in the game or not.

Unlock the system, insert the trap, close and lock the system (red light goes on, green light goes off)

Then, light is green, trap is clean.

Later, there is an alarm when the containment unit is shut down.

You don't need callouts with that phrasing. The DMD tells you VERY clearly what you're doing. Are you seriously stuck staring at the light wondering why the green or red is on at any given point in time? If you are, look at the DMD. It makes the rules blend with the movie in an intuitive way.

#989 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Your tone makes it difficult to discuss it. You make it seem like I can't count to 3 and follow the game. I was merely sharing my opinion that there is room for improvement because the locks do not coincide with the movie nor logical game play. In fact, I posted that video earlier as evidence that they do not coordinate. If you care to discuss it, then look at the game logic:
1st ball locked will BLINK the red light, and then the red light turns solid after a few seconds. Sound clips do not match inserting a trap. What is the significance of a blinking red light that then turns solid red? The movie goes red, to green.
2nd ball locked BLINKS the green light, then the green light stays solid, while the red light continues to stay on the whole time. Why? Does the 1st ball indicate the trap is in. And getting a 2nd ball in, suggests the trap is clean and can be removed? If so, why are both lights blinking and remaining on the same way?
And if that movie line is so iconic, why not implement it during the game. Isn't this the prefect place for it?
Sure, we can all figure out that we've locked up another ball. But to say it is the same as the movie or that there isn't room for improvement is unfair.

I wasn't intending to be harsh, but when you've said this you've called it things like "weak implementation" and you stated to me that the movie doesn't include locking three balls, like I'm an idiot who doesn't realize that. So, excuse me for my response sounding harsh, I'll try realizing that pinball machines use balls from here on our while I try to discuss this.

My question that I think you took offense to was real, by the way - are you *really* staring at just the lights on the playfield to indicate what is going on with it? If so, I can see your confusion, but the majority of people, particularly those watching someone else play, will look at the DMD to understand what is going on. The DMD makes it really clear what is going on.

The BLINKING that you are now highlighting above is a common occurrence in pinball machines to indicate where a ball is. It is supposed to be a blending of the two mediums, not the exact same.

As for not including that line, it wouldn't make sense as to what is going on in the same intuitive way.

Look, I can say this with some knowledge behind it - most people playing the game don't stare at the lights and try to figure out what is going on using mainly them, they instead either take the attitude of "just flip" or look up at the DMD from time to time to see what they are doing. They will also take audio cues.

Locking the second ball and declaring the 'light is green, trap is clean' is not intuitive in the pinball world. Does that mean you just lost your ball? Maybe it cleared out the earlier locked ball? Now you're stuck trying to read the DMD and interpret the audio cue. It doesn't make sense.

The lights aren't labeled. They don't have nearly the same issue, so having the light pattern attempt to roughly follow the movie scene makes sense.

1 week later
#1349 4 years ago

Hey, when you lock the second ball, it sometimes now does say light is green, trap is clean! Or mine just did!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.95
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 26.50
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 103.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

15,699 (OBO)
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-final-code-update-wish-list-1?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.