(Topic ID: 226036)

#Where's the code? Ghostbusters Code Wish List, CODE UPDATE RELEASED!

By PanzerFreak

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,580 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you happy with the code support Ghostbusters has received?”

• Yes 99 votes
    31%
  • No 219 votes
    69%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20191012-233218 (resized).png
80781E57-3C30-4129-B2E5-C7CD8539FE94 (resized).jpeg
C8D5780F-018B-4292-B792-AFCD7B4FCC3F (resized).jpeg
20191003_123529 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
B06DDC07-7DA3-4AF6-A103-99A73C34ACCF (resized).jpeg
20190927_082932 (resized).jpg
5E8525F9-094C-4C14-B5E2-11E7F65EE381 (resized).jpeg
20190926_212443 (resized).jpg
20190926_224857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_2039082 (resized).jpg
20190926_183351 (resized).jpg
F29A168A-394D-4936-879D-755C06FCBAC1 (resized).jpeg
breaking-news (resized).png
08846C20-59DC-4FCF-912C-5F2DB3D3A637 (resized).jpeg
20190926_164802 (resized).jpg

There are 1,580 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 32.
#651 4 years ago

I don’t think the linear nature of the modes needs to change. If you don’t always like playing “Who Brought the Dog” first, there’s two other modes to choose from.

That complaint is way overblown, IMO.

Also, the modes follow the movie progression, so that’s kind of cool.

#652 4 years ago

just posting here as was brought up in the JP@ thread and the GB Code thread as people are saying the gap is larger than Trudeau's typical flipper gap.

Flipper Gap Myth Solved as a few years ago, as I had a quick discussion with Trudeau which started when we discussed the Snackbar mod I did for his designed game CFTBL

- The Flipper gap is a result of the flipper post placement & the angle of the flippers
- Stern's standard flipper post placement is 7" hole centres
- Trudeau's stanard signature flipper post placement is 7 1/8" hole centres on all games
- GB has the same flipper post placement is 7 1/8" hole centres
- what makes the flipper gap larger is how the flippers were angled lower than the inlane guides angle

2 Solutions
- lift the flippers so the front face / rubber are inline with the inlane feed rails which brings the game's flipper similar to all his other games
- add carrots or even my quick swap out flippers which both are 1/8" longer which then narrows up the gap to narrower than a standard Stern

I recommend the 1st option and it only makes you a better player, hope that helps

#653 4 years ago

The biggest improvement to game play for me was realigning the flippers. No issue whatsoever hitting the right scoop, or left stand-ups. I also agree I have more outlane drains versus SDTM.

Codewise, I never understood the request to remove the mode progressions. I think it is brilliant how the three ladders are progressions related to specific story lines or scenes from the movie. It's also well thought out that the easiest ladder to start is the most difficult to finish (and vice versa). It would be step backwards if this is changed with the upcoming update.

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Codewise, I never understood the request to remove the mode progressions. I think it is brilliant how the three ladders are progressions related to specific story lines or scenes from the movie. It's also well thought out that the easiest ladder to start is the most difficult to finish (and vice versa). It would be step backwards if this is changed with the upcoming update.

Yeah, exactly! I wouldn't mind some stuff around that being added, but it has options. I like that this game is different than the rest. It works for what it is like that. It could definitely use some polish and would be good to have some other stuff happen that can break up the ladder options a bit, but if it is fundamentally changed to be a more normal game, I know in going to like it less.

#655 4 years ago

Do we know the name of the "top men" who are working on the update with Dwight?

#656 4 years ago

I'm back in! Bring on the code and take this game to the next level....

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Do we know the name of the "top men" who are working on the update with Dwight?

no one top men = just crate it up and put it a big warehouse

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

no one top men = just crate it up and put it a big warehouse

?? It's early to be drunk!

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

?? It's early to be drunk!

He was referring to this scene in Indiana Jones. It was the first thing I though of when it was mentioned that “top men” were working on it.

#660 4 years ago

The Code has been Slimed!

#661 4 years ago

Huh?

#662 4 years ago

Code! Code! Code! Cmon Stern! Step it up man!

#663 4 years ago

This game kills it on route, and every week I go clean the game and love shooting it. If this finally gets an update I will swap Deadpool with this game and take GB home for some TLC and home play time Lets go Stern make this update happen!!

#664 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

If they make modes selectable, all it will do is change the complaint to "I'm sick of hearing...choose and perish", because everyone will play SP first. I can't believe they would make that extreme change. It would fundamentally change the game, not improve it.

Final mode shouldn’t be selectable if they went this route. SP can really blow up a score, hardcore!

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Final mode shouldn’t be selectable if they went this route. SP can really blow up a score, hardcore!

I see a lot of references to SP, I assume that is not South Park, what is it?

#667 4 years ago

Though I’d post this 666 posts

D1628DCD-6098-4F91-A94A-50F35042D986 (resized).jpegD1628DCD-6098-4F91-A94A-50F35042D986 (resized).jpeg
#668 4 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

I see a lot of references to SP, I assume that is not South Park, what is it?

GB modes are too long to type out all the way!! I don't want them to make any mode randomly selectable. It wasn't designed to be that type of game. They can make it better without a complete overhaul. Oh, and be sure to show the scores!!

#669 4 years ago

......so, where’s the code?

#670 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

just posting here as was brought up in the JP@ thread and the GB Code thread as people are saying the gap is larger than Trudeau's typical flipper gap.
Flipper Gap Myth Solved as a few years ago, as I had a quick discussion with Trudeau which started when we discussed the Snackbar mod I did for his designed game CFTBL
- The Flipper gap is a result of the flipper post placement & the angle of the flippers
- Stern's standard flipper post placement is 7" hole centres
- Trudeau's stanard signature flipper post placement is 7 1/8" hole centres on all games
- GB has the same flipper post placement is 7 1/8" hole centres
- what makes the flipper gap larger is how the flippers were angled lower than the inlane guides angle
2 Solutions
- lift the flippers so the front face / rubber are inline with the inlane feed rails which brings the game's flipper similar to all his other games
- add carrots or even my quick swap out flippers which both are 1/8" longer which then narrows up the gap to narrower than a standard Stern
I recommend the 1st option and it only makes you a better player, hope that helps

I added the Carrots, but have the flippers lower as they came from the factory. Should I bring those up so that they're in line with inlanes like you did?

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

......so, where’s the code?

The cynical part of my brain was thinking last week, I'd wager we see "31 months and counting" soon but I'm trying to be more fair and kind in my thought processes.

#672 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I added the Carrots, but have the flippers lower as they came from the factory. Should I bring those up so that they're in line with inlanes like you did?

yes

#673 4 years ago

No change in the Stern of the Union text.

#674 4 years ago

Sweet, after a few more months of allocating additional resources we should have the whole company working exclusively on the Ghostbusters update.

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Sweet, after a few months of allocating additional resources we should have the whole company working on the Ghostbusters update.

Gary Stern himself is said to be debugging a stack overflow.

#676 4 years ago

Copy and paste update for August, now at 31 months and counting...

#677 4 years ago

Haha, top men.

78C28D8F-AC28-4909-B040-CB4EFD522919.gif78C28D8F-AC28-4909-B040-CB4EFD522919.gif
#678 4 years ago

Seems like Ghostbusters is the hardest game to code in the history of pinball, stern might have to sub contract it out to somebody that can finish it.

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Seems like Ghostbusters is the hardest game to code in the history of pinball, stern might have to sub contract it out to somebody that can finish it.

Hopefully, the juice is worth the squeeze.

#680 4 years ago

If/When they update the code, I guess ColorDMD needs to update the firmware for their display as well. Based on previous experience with other pins, any idea how long that might take?

#681 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Copy and paste update for August, now at 31 months and counting...

Sorry guys, hate being right. Called it.

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

If/When they update the code, I guess ColorDMD needs to update the firmware for their display as well. Based on previous experience with other pins, any idea how long that might take?

Well the GoT colordmd update is available now. so post GoT 1.37 release... a week is all it took for the update to come out (it was stated that colordmd was provided code update prior to the public release).

But on the other side of things they've been saying the river of slime would be updated since they released it for GB back in OCT.

So.... long winded way of saying who knows

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Well, if we are willing to accept that they have allocated more resources to the code update, it's still going to take some time to actually write the code, test, balance, etc. before it is released.

As far as I can recall they've never given us a "code is x% done" kind of update for other machines/code updates.

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Well, if we are willing to accept that they have allocated more resources to the code update, it's still going to take some time to actually write the code, test, balance, etc. before it is released.
As far as I can recall they've never given us a "code is x% done" kind of update for other machines/code updates.

Yup, rather have whoever is working on it be given enough time to properly finish it versus rushing it out.

#685 4 years ago

it's been a while since I played GB, but my issue isn't with the linear modes, it's with the lack of risk/reward in most of them. "Who brought the dog" is just, what, 3 shots, for 21 Million... no matter what. BM66 has linear modes/stages, but the code is such that there are risk/reward things you can do to increase your scores dramatically. Catwoman is always the same shots for the 4 stages, but with hurry ups and a cumulative building jackpot, one can get wildly different scores.

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from soapblox:

it's been a while since I played GB, but my issue isn't with the linear modes, it's with the lack of risk/reward in most of them. "Who brought the dog" is just, what, 3 shots, for 21 Million... no matter what. BM66 has linear modes/stages, but the code is such that there are risk/reward things you can do to increase your scores dramatically. Catwoman is always the same shots for the 4 stages, but with hurry ups and a cumulative building jackpot, one can get wildly different scores.

True, unless you light the multipliers and then WBTD could net 126M. But that play is EXTREMELY risky. I don't want a complete overhaul, but making the early modes more interesting would be appreciated.

#687 4 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Well the GoT colordmd update is available now. so post GoT 1.37 release... a week is all it took for the update to come out (it was stated that colordmd was provided code update prior to the public release).
But on the other side of things they've been saying the river of slime would be updated since they released it for GB back in OCT.
So.... long winded way of saying who knows

Dwight sent beta code for GOT to CDMD. I assume he’ll do the same for GB

#688 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm still going to say that Stern releases the update either next month or just before (or during) Expo in October. I can't see Stern going to Expo without the update being released seeing that they were asked about it heavily at least years show and announced at the time that it had been delayed.

#689 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Dwight sent beta code for GOT to CDMD. I assume he’ll do the same for GB

So anyone have ears to the ground along the way? I don’t care to know what’s in it until they release, but to know that it’s at that stage would be great to know about.

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm still going to say that Stern releases the update either next month or just before (or during) Expo in October. I can't see Stern going to Expo without the update being released seeing that they were asked about it heavily at least years show and announced at the time that it had been delayed.

stern doesnt care about releasing anything at an expo. they have proven that in the past. their marketing machine will make it work. i do hope they release it the first of october 1st. would make a great pin to play for halloween.

#691 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

stern doesnt care about releasing anything at an expo. they have proven that in the past.

Doesn't stop people from continually thinking it will happen.

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

stern doesnt care about releasing anything at an expo. they have proven that in the past. their marketing machine will make it work. i do hope they release it the first of october 1st. would make a great pin to play for halloween.

george-bush-kanye (resized).jpggeorge-bush-kanye (resized).jpg

#693 4 years ago

I'm keeping mine either way. It's a staple in my collection, and that bitch is bolted to the floor. The code is acceptable the way it is

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

I'm keeping mine either way. It's a staple in my collection, and that bitch is bolted to the floor. The code is acceptable the way it is

I plan on keeping mine for a long time either way also. But I'd still like to be able to see scores during gameplay. (Even if visible scores will just remind me of my lack of skill ).

#695 4 years ago

My contention is simple, the code isn't awful, way too much has been made of flipper gap, and it's the most innovative thing Stern has done in years. However, It remains flawed to several degrees.

The problem remains there are so many flaws in the code structure and code flow of the game that moderate fixes should have been done., And frankly easily could have been done, they were not. They were transitioning to video and eggs went in all the other baskets. Game sold so we'll it didn't matter the bottom line. When the designer caught a case, Stern let it go. Owners and players payed the price.

I have not done business with Stern since I bought GB, and I told them that. Once they make me whole we can go down that road, I love what they make. I went the other way, bought a NIB Avatar LE.. it's a fricken tank compared to 2019 games... Here's to hoping they fix this great game, I still play and enjoy mine anyhow!!

#696 4 years ago

i love playing mine and the flipper gap thing is way over blown. great game. ton of stuff in it. just need to make it as good as the new GoT update or better. lol honestly i need more time on the GoT code so dont fix GB til october

#697 4 years ago

Rarehero: So salty brah!!

Not like the down-votes from you means much, especially in this thread.

Carry on

#698 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

He was referring to this scene in Indiana Jones. It was the first thing I though of when it was mentioned that “top men” were working on it.

That video makes me think of Gary locking up the Ghostbusters code update in a crate and storing it alongside another crate in the Stern factory basement named "Wheel of Fortune: Final Code".

#699 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Rarehero: So salty brah!!
Not like the down-votes from you means much, especially in this thread.
Carry on

He's a closet GB fan. Change my mind.

#700 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

He's a closet GB fan. Change my mind.

He sent me a message and said that he has upvote/downvote dyslexia and that he thinks everyone here is doing great work and to keep it up.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
There are 1,580 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-final-code-update-wish-list-1/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.