(Topic ID: 226036)

#Where's the code? Ghostbusters Code Wish List, CODE UPDATE RELEASED!

By PanzerFreak

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,580 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by skquinn
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Are you happy with the code support Ghostbusters has received?”

• Yes 99 votes
    31%
  • No 219 votes
    69%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20191012-233218 (resized).png
80781E57-3C30-4129-B2E5-C7CD8539FE94 (resized).jpeg
C8D5780F-018B-4292-B792-AFCD7B4FCC3F (resized).jpeg
20191003_123529 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
B06DDC07-7DA3-4AF6-A103-99A73C34ACCF (resized).jpeg
20190927_082932 (resized).jpg
5E8525F9-094C-4C14-B5E2-11E7F65EE381 (resized).jpeg
20190926_212443 (resized).jpg
20190926_224857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190926_2039082 (resized).jpg
20190926_183351 (resized).jpg
F29A168A-394D-4936-879D-755C06FCBAC1 (resized).jpeg
breaking-news (resized).png
08846C20-59DC-4FCF-912C-5F2DB3D3A637 (resized).jpeg
20190926_164802 (resized).jpg

There are 1,580 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 32.
#1 5 years ago

For months now we have been told by Stern that a final code update for Ghostbusters is coming. I think a majority of owners are expecting a large and substantial code update (similar to the last Aermosith update) that expands upon the games existing gameplay. Ghostbusters is a dream theme for many, is considered a timeless theme, and the game deserves to have its code properly completed. Please note the poll in the thread regarding whether or not you have been happy with the code support the game has received.

What would you like to see in a final update? Personally I would like to see the following items added.

1. Are You a God? wizard mode added
2. More callouts added, especially from the second film
3. Vigo animation added to the Ecto Goggles toy (remove the cat animation after what happened)
4. Incorporate more of the second movie into the games code, they have the license so don't waste the opportunity
5. The game really needs another multiball incorporated somewhere into gameplay. Maybe tie this to a mode for a Vigo
6. Does the library insert do anything?
7. Increase the use of the topper. It's a pretty cool topper yet costs $500 and is only really used during attract mode and 1 or two modes? Come on.

Logo_Ghostbusters.0 (resized).JPGLogo_Ghostbusters.0 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Totally agree. Definitely need the callout when the GB's fire their proton packs at the maid in the hotel....So you drain a ball or miss a shot and she says

"What the Hell are you Doing!"

I think that would be funny as hell to have that in the game....no pun intended

#3 5 years ago

Fix the double plunge skill shot bug.

#4 5 years ago

My wish for GB has always been an easy multiball. Scoleri Bros always seemed like an easy place to put one and would make sense to put a 2 ball multiball for a 2 ghost mode.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My wish for GB has always been an easy multiball. Scoleri Bros always seemed like an easy place to put one and would make sense to put a 2 ball multiball for a 2 ghost mode.

Yeah, that would be cool, good idea. An easier 2 ball MB added to the game would help make the game a bit more accessible and give the game a much needed additional MB mode.

#7 5 years ago

Oops, I forgot I had created one a while back, lol. Wow, that was almost a year ago.

To think that nearly a year has passed since Stern said that a final code update for Ghostbusters will be worked on once Star Wars is finished. Ridiculous considering how much time has now passed.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago

Do something with the red outlane inserts.

Revamp the skillshot or remove it all together...it really messes up scoring.

#9 5 years ago

Some visual cue when the flippers reverse and return to normal during mass hysteria. Red outlane inserts maybe?

#10 5 years ago

Make big and bigger points worth more along with slime river and gear collection.

#11 5 years ago

Anybody know how Stern makes decisions on what games get updates? Do the big sellers get the thorough updates first? I know Aerosmith got that big ass one recently (and I doubt that sold as many as ghostbusters)

#12 5 years ago

“Are you happy with the code support Ghostbusters has received?”

no !

that's one of the reason i finally sold it
pity as so much nice ideas and cool things to do with this pin, to make it become a real blast...

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

3. Vigo animation added to the Ecto Goggles toy (remove the cat animation after what happened)

I like that one. I like that one a lot.

#14 5 years ago

Change the video mode scoring or eliminate it as a skill shot.

Fix shooter lane switch/mode skill shot bug

Make the scoring in WARTBY better.

Make the scoring better in storage facility MB.

Make it easier to light multipliers from the captive balls.

#15 5 years ago

Slimmer multiball , jazz up the current modes. Deeping them, do more with the googles

#16 5 years ago

how about the ability to adjust the white flashers on the game. I'd like to dim them down. Right now i have pieces of blue cellophane about light inserts so that it doesn't blind me when they're going off!

3 weeks later
#17 5 years ago

It's now been over a year since Stern put out this October 2017 Stern of the Union address...Where's the code Stern? A one year delay is beyond ridiculous at this point considering the resources put on code for other games and the huge popularity of this title.

Guess what though? At Expo 2018 George Gomez said that Ghostbusters code has been delayed. Been delayed? It's been delayed already for a year! Also, he said that maybe it will get worked on once the coder has time to work on it...Maybe? No, that's not an acceptable response after owners have spent $5500 - $8k+ on the game.

Also, thank you to Pinside member Vireland for sharing the notes from Gomez below regarding the state and future of Ghostbusters code.

Quotes in video start around the 1 hour mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=5fZ4CU_hz0U

"Some games we have to pay more attention to because they went out in a greater state of disrepair [understatement of the YEAR]. Ghostbusters has an insert that doesn't do as much as it should [that's one way to say it - it actually doesn't do anything at all]. And it has a hint of a mode on the instruction card that could be more complete [The "Are you a God" mode is in fact completely missing still]. It also needs some polish...and it needs a few other things. It is one of the most popular games...we've sold a lot of them. I think people like to play it. It's done pretty well everywhere. So I have to make the difficult decision sometimes...for the greater good. And the decision is, I need that developer working on the [incomplete] game that he's gonna release soon [or it will be more incomplete], and then MAYBE we can put him on to Ghostbusters.

I think we're getting much better at shipping you things that are "pretty complete". I think Deadpool went out in pretty good shape. I think Iron Maiden went out in pretty good shape. Batman will soon hopefully be complete. It turned out to be everything we promised it would be."

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Totally, thats what I was thinking too, use the scoleris since everyone hates em so make it desireable instead of a SJ you get a 2 ball

#19 5 years ago

And that my friends is why I will never again buy new In t he box from stern and or unless the code is complete.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

And that my friends is why I will never again buy new In t he box from stern and or unless the code is complete.

Yeah, that's a good rule. If Gomez can say that Ghostbusters code has "definitely been delayed" after a year from their Oct 2017 State of the Stern update well customers can also say "my next Stern pinball purchase has been delayed until code for Ghostbusters is properly completed". I like Dwight coded games but will not buy another one until Ghostbusters is completed.

#21 5 years ago

As someone who loves my GB, I really hope for a code update soon. This game could be a classic with some polish and extra modes. C'mon Stern, reward our loyalty and get 'er done!

#22 5 years ago

As a collector operator, my customers dig the game and I've had no complaints over code.
I do want another update.

#23 5 years ago

I listened to Gomez. Prospects for a GB update anytime soon sounded bleak. At best. At least he acknowledged that the game is incomplete, we have complained and they sold a ton of them. They do read Pinside obviously. The game is one good update from being a great, great game.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

...They do read Pinside obviously...

of course they do, they (all pinball companies) all do

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's now been over a year since Stern put out this October 2017 Stern of the Union address...
And the decision is, I need that developer working on the [incomplete] game that he's gonna release soon [or it will be more incomplete], and then MAYBE we can put him on to Ghostbusters...

+/- 18 monthes ago i had private talks with Dwight (i will not copy/paste them here) about GB code, in summary he already explained me what Gomez said above, nothing more, nothing less... than there's still hope, but...

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If Gomez can say that Ghostbusters code has "definitely been delayed" after a year from their Oct 2017 State of the Stern update well customers can also say "my next Stern pinball purchase has been delayed until code for Ghostbusters is properly completed"

a bit rude, but i can understand few are thinking as it
to me (as a player), have sold GB, and bought TWD to replace it, no more code probs...

#25 5 years ago

I have been holding off on a GB because of the code.. it needs polishing/call out adjustment and a mode or two. Now that a true colordmd rom is available I wish stern would get on the ball.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

I listened to Gomez. Prospects for a GB update anytime soon sounded bleak. At best. At least he acknowledged that the game is incomplete, we have complained and they sold a ton of them. They do read Pinside obviously. The game is one good update from being a great, great game.

That's whats frustrating. If Stern truly takes pride in the games they create then they should finish a games code when they have said for over a year that an update is coming. Stern should of said an update will come for sure, not "maybe" in regards to the update being worked on in the future. Stern left Ghostbusters owners in the dark wondering if an update will ever come with that question.

Stern has told customers for over a year that an update is coming but now its a maybe? Thats BS and I don't want to support a company like that if that if that is the route they take.

Owners of The Hobbit, including myself, complained for a good 6 months about the state of Hobbit code. What did JJP do? They told the community after a few months that another update is coming and then not only came through but went above and beyond all expectations. That's the type of customer service that will get me to drop another $8k+ on a game...not a "maybe".

#27 5 years ago

Upside to Dwight's games is that they are "pretty complete" at or shortly after release. The downside to Dwight's games is that he then gets moved on to another project and a good polish/bug fix pass or two never happens, or happens a long time after release.

#28 5 years ago

When people stop buying new games with shitty code, Stern might start to listen. But people are happily buying unfinished games, and apparently they bought a ton of GB. So Stern doesn't really have the motivation to even do better at this point when there is new money to pillage. Stop buying, and make sure they are told why.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

When people stop buying new games with shitty code, Stern might start to listen. But people are happily buying unfinished games, and apparently they bought a ton of GB. So Stern doesn't really have the motivation to even do better at this point when there is new money to pillage. Stop buying, and make sure they are told why.

Over the last year or two Stern have added lots of programmers. Initial code releases are better (or are better shortly after launch) then they have been in the past. After the blinking box of lights that was B66 at launch, and a weak GoTG, games have mostly launched with decent code and have had significant updates quickly to get the games up to snuff.

Still room for improvement, but I think they got the need for better code. Unfortunately GB and Kiss are the red-headed step-childs here and were released over two years ago and are lagging behind.

#30 5 years ago

KISS needs more work than GB. KISS will get down first.

That's just the way it is.

#31 5 years ago

Just so Stern doesn't forget...

October 2017
Capture1 (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPG

October 2018
Capture2 (resized).JPGCapture2 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#32 5 years ago

Will post every Stern of the Union update until Stern completes the code for Ghostbusters. November is below. Also, we Gomez mentioned at Expo last month that Ghostbusters needs more polish and several items completed inlluding the libray insert actually meaning something and the addition of a final wizard mode being "Are You a God"?

nov (resized).JPGnov (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#33 5 years ago

November 2018 Stern of the Union update...So, where in the schedule is the Ghostbusters update?

It's now been 14 months since Stern first mentioned a Ghostbusters code update coming after Star Wars is completed...that was in their first ever Stern of the Union address.

#34 5 years ago

So does anyone know what Dwight Sullivan is working on currently that delays the GB code update?

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

So does anyone know what Dwight Sullivan is working on currently that delays the GB code update?

the Munsters

1 month later
#36 5 years ago

January update...copy and paste from December. It's now been 15 months since the October 2017 Stern of the Union address where Stern said a Ghostbusters code update would be coming after Star Wars is released.

Munsters revealed today, looks great! Pass until Ghostbusters code is finished.

#37 5 years ago

Here's the video of Gomez talking at Expo 2018 about Ghostbusters code being delayed, starts right at that section.

Highlights

1. Waiting for break in coders schedule (Dwight, likely referring to Munsters code work)
2. Mentions insert that doesn't do as much as it should
3. Hint of mode on instruction card that could be more complete (more complete? Are You a God isn't even in the game)
4. Could use some polish and a few other things
5. Gomez made decision to put Dwight on new game and then maybe can put him on Ghostbusters update (MAYBE?!)

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's the video of Gomez talking at Expo 2019 about Ghostbusters code being delayed, starts right at that section.

So someone has to go the future to know what happens, especially when Chicago Pinball 2019 is in October?

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

So someone has to go the future to know what happens, especially when Chicago Pinball 2019 is in October?

I did and the code is still delayed lol. Updated.

#40 5 years ago

Below are some notes I took regarding Ghostbusters code from the new Head2Head Pinball podcast interview with Dwight.

1. Highest item on Dwight's list for Ghostbusters is to do something about the game being too messy, said too many things stack. Would like to see Loopin Supers played on it's own and not stacked with other modes, should be a moment type mode to get to

2. Library insert - was never intended to be a feature or mode (used as indicator to shoot for in Librian mode) but will now get it's own little rule

3. Are you a God? - First off Dwight said yes he is (good answer lol), never meant to be part of 1.0, putting Are You a God on instruction card was a mistake, doesn't know if it will happen...

4. We Came We Saw - could be more polished, should be worth more and be more interesting

Dwight also went into how he will have more time after Munsters to work on other stuff. He said that it took Stern a long time to get to where they are at today. Mentioned how working on Spike revisions impacted code updates and how George Gomez has worked on hiring more programmers. According to Dwight Stern now has 9 in house programmers and 3 external. Programming staff used to be spread too thin but now is better. Finally he mentioned that programmers now get time after a release to work on other stuff and that he will get that time after Munsters.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

. Highest item on Dwight's list for Ghostbusters is to do something about the game being too messy, said too many things stack. Would like to see Loopin Supers played on it's own and not stacked with other modes, should be a moment type mode to get to

And some things don't stack when the probably should, like the terror dog hurry ups. If you start one, then the next, you get nothing for the first. That is if I remember correctly.

Aside from any bugs, my biggest complaints would have been the lack of difficulty adjustments in the menu in regards to ladder progression, captive ball timeouts, add a ball difficulty etc. Some things were too easy (initial ladder progression) and other things way too hard (captive ball awards for playfield multipliers). I found ladder progression to be especially too quick during SFMB which adds to the undesirable ladder mode stacking (which I didn't like either).

I don't think the game needs 'Are you a god' mode. Clean up the bugs, add some user adjustments, tweak a few of the modes (more time on Gozer (I think)). ESP starting points level could be raised (make it a setting too?) and maybe move Don't Cross the streams to the left vuk? Otherwise nobody will ever want to play ESP because it's too tedious to get the same amount of points as DCTS.

It's too bad about GoT code still being in limbo. I really enjoyed that game and in some ways regret selling it. Oh well.

Well, just my thoughts.

Rob

3 weeks later
#42 5 years ago

February update, copy and paste from past few months. 16 months and counting.

Feb (resized).JPGFeb (resized).JPG

#43 5 years ago

I fear the update. I like the music I added

1 week later
#44 5 years ago

Stern has done a great job completing code for many of their games over the past 2 years but one huge glaring item remains...

Stern
ce6aadf6fdb151a3cec0700cea8040755efb30a5 (resized).jpgce6aadf6fdb151a3cec0700cea8040755efb30a5 (resized).jpg

Programming Master Yoda

cd557bef05bedb23a31e73424f1c12803fc0ac31 (resized).jpgcd557bef05bedb23a31e73424f1c12803fc0ac31 (resized).jpg

#45 5 years ago

I specifically bought this game back after selling my GBLE 3 years ago. It is, even in its current form, a great game. I've reached the "final wizard mode" twice. The second time around, I understood why it was so difficult to get to. Honestly, the mode is completely broken. Nothing makes any sense. The scoring is so low, that I was actually perplexed by what I saw. After managing to complete all the shots twice, drained my ball, and then the machine went into a constant ball search. I couldn't even tilt out of it....fuckin game just froze.

Moral of the story, it has to be completed. If Stern and Dwight made a decision to abandon this title, it should have just been aired out already. Why bother leading people on?

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

I specifically bought this game back after selling my GBLE 3 years ago. It is, even in its current form, a great game. I've reached the "final wizard mode" twice. The second time around, I understood why it was so difficult to get to. Honestly, the mode is completely broken. Nothing makes any sense. The scoring is so low, that I was actually perplexed by what I saw. After managing to complete all the shots twice, drained my ball, and then the machine went into a constant ball search. I couldn't even tilt out of it....fuckin game just froze.
Moral of the story, it has to be completed. If Stern and Dwight made a decision to abandon this title, it should have just been aired out already. Why bother leading people on?

On one of the last Head2Head pinball podcasts Dwight did mention some items he wants to work on in regards to Ghostbusters code. He admitted to something's being a mess in the game which I'm sure will be addressed. It sounds like once Munsters is complete he will have time to work on code for other games.

Dwight's ideas sounded great but it was very disappointing to not hear a commitment to adding an Are You a God wizard mode. Dwight said it may or may not be added. It's an advertised feature on the game instruction card and needs to be added. Hell, even George Gomez at last year's Expo mentioned it needed to be added.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern has done a great job completing code for many of their games over the past 2 years but one huge glaring item remains...
Stern

WOF was abandoned. But, I'm with you on this. I want a HUO used GB, but I'm holding off for now.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I want a HUO used GB, but I'm holding off for now.

I wanted a NIB GB Premium since it was announced years ago, but have always held off until I was satisfied code was complete enough to buy, which unfortunately means I still don't have one, and now the machine is out of production, which sucks, as this was my dream theme. Here's hoping someday they complete it, but Stern doesn't instill confidence in me when it comes to GB.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

... and now the machine is out of production, which sucks, as this was my dream theme. ...

You got lucky

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You got lucky

LOL, apparently!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
There are 1,580 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-final-code-update-wish-list-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.