6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

By popular request! I have finally got around to putting together a video of how the MP3 Trigger V2 was used in Ghostbusters to integrate the music, sounds and quotes into the game. I have had a lot of questions on how this was done and it's a bit difficult to explain through text, so I hope this helps. I have tried to cover everything, but I am sure there will be some details I missed, so please ask if you have questions. The game is still in a constant state of flux, so please excuse the crudeness of some of my work. This is a 2 parter...

Part 1

Part 2

Thanks!
-Brian

#2 6 years ago

This I think is just what we have all been asking for

#3 6 years ago

Awesome work man.

#4 6 years ago

oh man that is fantastic. Amazing work. LOL @ the "prehistoric bitch" quote. Thank you for sharing! I may have to give a re-theme a shot myself

#5 6 years ago

Thanks! I hope this is what everyone wanted to see.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to do this video. I did an Angry Birds pin a few months ago and it's funny how similar our setups were. After watching your vids I'm already second-guessing a couple of things I did. Next time around, I think it will go a lot smoother.

I like your idea of having a mixer as opposed to 2 sets of speakers. I laughed when I saw some of the fabricating and gerrymandering you had to do to make the switches work. Yeah, been there...done that. I had a hard time figuring out how to get triggers on the sling shots ( not the nice linear slings but the nasty older Bally slings. I didn't have to worry about drop targets like you did, but I will next time.

Fantastic job, man. It's a shiteload of work.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks schmoo! I checked out your Angry Birds, very cool! What's the next project you are working on? Doing this retheme was so much work I'm not sure if I ever want to do it again, but I'm glad I did it once!

#8 6 years ago

Thx for posting, cool to see how you did it

#10 6 years ago

Sweet videos thanks for posting.

#11 6 years ago

That is fricken awesome man! Thanks for posting this!

#12 6 years ago

thanks for the video, fantastic. I wasn't expecting to have to double up on all the switches like that. Was hoping to be able to use the existing switch and have it go through a voltage reducer or something and trigger the game and the sound from the same switch.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballShawn:

That is fricken awesome man! Thanks for posting this!

Thanks Shawn! I was hoping you would see this as I know it was something you were interested in doing.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Was hoping to be able to use the existing switch and have it go through a voltage reducer or something and trigger the game and the sound from the same switch.

I know this idea has been thrown around, but I haven't seen it done yet.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I know this idea has been thrown around, but I haven't seen it done yet.

We need Ed Cheung on it. He'd have a mini board designed by wed.

#15 6 years ago

Before you posted this, I figured this is how you did it based on what I've seen messing around with mine (use a separate switch). I too am probably going to go down the cherry switch route as much as possible as they can be bought for under 50 cents (compared to $6-$9 for a leaf switch, which can of course get VERY expensive). Thanks for posting, it's good to finally see the guts.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I too am probably going to go down the cherry switch route as much as possible as they can be bought for under 50 cents (compared to $6-$9 for a leaf switch, which can of course get VERY expensive).

The Cherry micro switches are great because the actuators are insulated from the circuit. You don't even have to worry about shorting something. Still, depending on the actuator and bracket, these can get a little pricey as well. Fortunately I was able to get a big handful of assorted ones from John Dayhuff at the Ohio show that year for $1 ea. I also was able to track down those leaf switches on clearance for around $0.50 ea!

#17 6 years ago

I believe the early bally sound boards use the encoded solenoid signals to pick a specific sound. It shouldn't be too terribly hard to use the MPU signals that go to the Sound board.

There is an enable signal that is either high / low(forget which state) and than the four encoded solenoid lines. Small board with a 4 to 16 decoder and use the decoders 16 outputs to trigger some kind of sound device.

#18 6 years ago

Good work Brian!

#19 6 years ago

*bump* for the afternoon crowd.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Thanks schmoo! I checked out your Angry Birds, very cool! What's the next project you are working on?

Believe it or not, I think I'm going to try a Smokey and the Bandit retheme, using a Bally Hottdoggin. I try to use really pooched or unappreciated machines and Hotdoggin is definitely unappreciated. I saw Smokey/Bandit about a dozen times when it first came out, so this retheme is for me. I don't expect many other people to think it's cool ~ certainly no one under 40.

It was either that or Dukes of Hazzard.

#21 6 years ago

You can't go wrong with the bandit or the dukes

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from schmoo:

Believe it or not, I think I'm going to try a Smokey and the Bandit retheme, using a Bally Hottdoggin

a high speed would be a far better pin to start off with, but re-theming such a fine pinball would be a shame

#23 6 years ago

Really amazing work.

#24 6 years ago

Thanks for posting!

#25 6 years ago

Wonderful video. Thanks for sharing.

#26 6 years ago

Brian, very impressive. Clever use of audio and associated triggering switches. Great artwork!
I believe that the best people in this hobby are the ones who take the time to make an instructional/tutorial video or written description so that others may learn. Thanks, Wally.

#27 6 years ago

Thanks for posting, very informative.

#28 6 years ago

I really appreciate the comments guys and girls. You make it all worth while. I'm thinking we will see a surge of custom games and things will be developed and improved to make it even easier to build your dream machine.

#29 6 years ago

great job dude

#30 6 years ago

great machine and great vid detailing alot, thanks heaps for taking the time out to do this

#31 6 years ago

Thanks for helping promote the game 'down under', swinks! Yes, I've noticed.

#32 6 years ago

That is a thing of beauty! Excellent job Betelguese! Very Impressive!

#33 6 years ago

I love the theme conversion!

I'm surprised nobody ever came out with a licensed Ghostbusters machine?

Would there be interest in that? JJP #3?

#34 6 years ago

Nice videos and good job with the explanations!

#35 6 years ago

Thank you for sharing this video. Your re-theme is so slick and well integrated but it is even more impressive now seeing how you did it, and thinking of all the work and planning it must have taken.

Was it as much work as I think it must have been to position and adjust all those extra switches under the playfield? After you got everything working initially has it required much maintenance to keep it all working smoothly?

Also, I think I saw a surge protector strip in the cabinet: did you wire that up so it gets power when the machine turns on, or is it just plugged into the service outlet?

This is a big inspiration to me and I'm sure a lot of others - I definitely got some cool ideas for the next phase of my Nugent/Raspberry Pi project from seeing your videos....

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from BadBrick:

Was it as much work as I think it must have been to position and adjust all those extra switches under the playfield? After you got everything working initially has it required much maintenance to keep it all working smoothly?

It really wasn't TOO bad installing the switches. The rollovers were pretty quick and easy. Once the switches were installed it was easy to play around with the sounds and move them around. I have to say the system has been very reliable. I really haven't had to make many adjustments over thousands of plays. As for the power strip, I just have it plugged into the service outlet. I'm sure this could be tapped into the cabinet switch as well.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Thanks for helping promote the game 'down under', swinks! Yes, I've noticed.

no worries, love your work and very inspiring

#38 6 years ago

Wow this one is incredible! very very nice work!!! One of my childhood favourite movies! if this was ever to be produced i would certainly add it to my small collection!

Really a shame they never made a licensed Ghostbuster Pin now i see this. i want one!!!

#39 6 years ago

Betelgeuse and Schmoo, are you guys trying to keep the era of the pin with the era of the movie? I'm just curious if this was a conscious decision or something that just happened because of the cost of the donor pin. I'd love to see a Smokey and the Bandit pin! Of course, multiball would have to start with Gleason's "One shit at a time!" quote!

Myself, I'm planning on doing a retheme of a Baywatch into a Futurama pin. It's almost order-made for it. That lifeguard tower is a perfect location and an almost perfect match for the Planet Express building shape and size. Plus, all the wireforms the game already has lend themselves to easily putting in those people mover tubes. The only thing that scares me is the DMD, for many reasons, not just the replacement cost. That's why I'm kind of in a holding pattern with it now. I'm waiting for that one advancement, that one thing, that makes it easy to deal with/replace with a.......(whatever that thing is).

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

are you guys trying to keep the era of the pin with the era of the movie? I'm just curious if this was a conscious decision or something that just happened because of the cost of the donor pin.

Not exactly. I did get the game before deciding the theme, though. The theme was chosen in part because I had a lot of really good ideas on how the Flash Gordon playfield layout would work for Ghostbusters like the upper playfield being the top of the building, the inline drop target Slimer lane and the big blank space for the Ecto toy. Though, when I was looking for a game I did want to avoid anything with an alphanumeric or dmd display as it would require a lot more know-how and work to re-theme the display content. I was exclusively looking for an early solid state title that just had generic scoring. Fortunately most of my theme ideas were 80's movies.

-Brian

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

thanks for the video, fantastic. I wasn't expecting to have to double up on all the switches like that. Was hoping to be able to use the existing switch and have it go through a voltage reducer or something and trigger the game and the sound from the same switch.

Just an FYI. I have used the Altronix board to activate the MP3 board and activate the CPU points at the same time.

Basically it's one action with two results:

1. disconnect the switch wires and attach them to the C and NO on one side of the relay
2. connect the MP3 trigger wires to the other side C and NO of the relay
3. connect 12 DC to + and - of the relay
4. connect the one leg of the game switch to 3vdc + and the other leg to TRG - of relay
5. a ball switch activation cause the TGR to energize
6. board contacts close and points are scored & the MP3 Plays

Of course this method is not cost effective at $11 per board, per switch... but I had a box of boards left over from a previous project and I can tell you it does work.

http://www.altronix.com/products/product.php?name=RBSNTTL

#42 6 years ago

Very nice explanation of things. Too bad you couldn't tie into the original switches. How catastrophic would a splice have been? It's just sending signal voltage right?

For the playfield, it's vinyl IIRC. How do you protect it? Is wax sufficient, do you have to do it more often because you have less material providing the color before you go down to the base color? Once it's down can it be cleared, or does that do something goofy?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Very nice explanation of things. Too bad you couldn't tie into the original switches. How catastrophic would a splice have been? It's just sending signal voltage right?

You can't mix the two. I accidentally shorted a trigger switch to a game switch at one point and it immediately blew the game fuse. Fortunately no damage to the MP3 Trigger.

Quoted from desertT1:

For the playfield, it's vinyl IIRC. How do you protect it? Is wax sufficient, do you have to do it more often because you have less material providing the color before you go down to the base color? Once it's down can it be cleared, or does that do something goofy?

The top layer of the playfield is mylar, so it's pretty bulletproof. The vinyl layer with the art printed on it is underneath that. Before diamondplating, lots of games just had large sheets of mylar covering the playfield. I know people have successfully clearcoated over an overlay before, but it shouldn't be necessary and it could be problematic.

I've been cleaning the playfield like any other playfield, a small amount of Novus 2 and a coat or two of carnuba paste wax. It still looks as good as new. I haven't really had to do much cleaning though as it's basically a fully shopped game.

Brian

#44 6 years ago

Very very cool!

#45 6 years ago

You should be very proud of this work! Very impressive. Would buy it from you in a second. Love ghostbusters. thanks for sharing.

#46 6 years ago

Wow, Brian!

Thanks for sharing this information and knowledge with the rest of us. I'd like to say publicly, after a few private conversations with Brian regarding the MP3 trigger and his Ghostbusters re-theme, he's gotta be one of the friendliest fellows around. Very generous with his time and experience, as is evident from these videos.

Many thanks and congratulations, Brian!

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#47 6 years ago

Mother f'ing amazing. Points you man. What a dream machine.

#48 6 years ago

The vinyl overlay is inked on clear film & then another is cold laminated to the top to protect the ink. No clear coating is required! The printer does fine work.

#49 6 years ago

Now I sorta hope no boutique builder takes up the Ghostbuster license just to keep your machine unique. Wait, no, that's bullshit. Ha!

But still, you're awesome!

#50 6 years ago

http://www.meritline.com/no-ghost-allows-cufflinks---p-74060.aspx

Who needs a license when you have No Ghost Allows Pinball?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 279.95
1,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Howell, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside