New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 158155)

Ghostbusters Club - We Got One!!!

By 30FathomDave

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8,878 posts
  • 715 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Tjohejsan
  • Topic is favorited by 268 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,673 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2020-11-25-18-38-42 (resized).jpg
IMG_3982 (resized).JPG
IMG_3978 (resized).JPG
IMG_3980 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_8762 (resized).jpg
C3A46B35-B443-4954-938A-6B08B06D7C28 (resized).jpeg
1 (resized).jpg
2573626B-9D7A-47A3-97A6-5BD3E58514EE (resized).jpeg
FF120A9B-FA78-472F-805D-B2275F4A58C0 (resized).jpeg
5713752D-1999-46EC-863E-F73AA802B3C4 (resized).jpeg
AFF0B540-ECF4-49C5-B413-829E69B699D5 (resized).jpeg
38F687D3-D891-4678-96AB-28C5F2E4F9BA (resized).jpeg
418AC15F-D784-48C7-897C-C6587E1A817F (resized).jpeg
IMG_8278 (resized).jpg
215CC573-3E9C-4682-BD48-3ED097FF78E2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4105 Link to replacement auto plunge spring that improves launch for some. Posted by Spelunk71 (3 years ago)

Post #4120 Shorter Hex Spacer to make left short easier. Posted by Blakester (3 years ago)

Post #4129 Custom target brackets that help eliminate airballs. Posted by swinks (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider utesichiban.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4999 2 years ago

I am looking at buying a used HOU GB Premium from a guy a few hours away. The only concern I have is the ghosting and playfield issues Stern has had with these since they brought them out.

I believe this one has a build date in early 2017. Can anyone comment on when Stern supposedly resolved the ghosting and chipping issues with GB? Is anything manufactured in 2017 in the clear?

#5003 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

More
Pretty safe for playfield issues, but check the spelling on "reinforcement" on the playfield. If it's wrong, that's an early PF from the ghosting era that can have issues later, and you don't want it (or the wrong spelling). Here's a pic with the two versions:

The 2017 models aren't immune to the cabinet splitting, though, so check the front two corners for cracks or outright splits near the seam. If it's not cracked or split, upgrade the leg plates ASAP to prevent that from ever happening:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step

Wow, I found out he purchased in November 2016. I'll have the build date tomorrow but pretty sure it is going to be before November 2016 which concerns me a bit.

Are you saying if the replacement is mispelled, those were the ones that had all the ghosting and PF issues?

#5004 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

More
pretty anything after Oct / Nov 2016 is pretty safe
I personally did opt for some cliffy's for the drain and shooter lane as protection

Thank you. Is one built in September or October 2016 likely safe? It sounds like that may be when it was built. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

#5009 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

The ones with the misspellings were the earliest playfields made and are among the most prone to issues. Stern pulled a sneaky and started sending them out as replacements well after the spelling was corrected on the factory run machines. They also sent the misspelled ones overseas late in the run, they might have even built them into later machines for the US, but I haven't seen confirmation of that. Basically if it's a misspelled PF, that's an easy tell for more haggling or walk away because it's from a "troubled" era of playfield run.

Thank you. This is good information and not something I would have known had you guys not brought it to my attention. I found out tonight that build date was November 11, 2016. I will double check on the reference part of the playfield tomorrow but feel pretty good now that it was built later and likely won’t be a problem.

The cabinet splitting thing on the other hand I’ll have to check into.

#5010 2 years ago

Hey guys, thank you again for all of the advice. I am still a relative newb to pinball.

I had him send me some pictures of the playfield last night. He says there is no ghosting or other issues at this time which I believe. He sent me some pictures anyway so I'm posting them here so those of you with more trained eyes then me can confirm and double check. I'm just being thorough before finalizing our trade.

Any feedback is very appreciated.

GB playfield (resized).jpgGB playfield 2 (resized).jpgGB playfield 3 (resized).jpgGB playfield 4 (resized).jpgGB playfield 4 (resized).jpgGB playfield 5 (resized).jpgGB shooter lane (resized).jpg
#5012 2 years ago

Ok, I can ask for those. I thought ghosting was easier to see when they were off. I think the problem may be he took them last night when it was probably darker.

#5017 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Possible ghosting on left side of Add-a-ball but hard to confirm with those pics. Thats about the same size sliver I have on Toobin. No big deal.

Thank you everyone. My eye doesn't even catch those things.

If there is small ghosting at the super jackpot insert and add-a-ball parts, any chance this will get worse over time? Should I ask him how many plays are on it? What I don't want to do is the buy the thing, have it worsen over time, and I end up stuck with something I'm not going to be able to sell without taking a huge hit down the road if I decide to sell for something else.

I don't expect for it to appreciate or even necessarily break even but I don't want the value to go in half .

#5024 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

What's the build date on the back of the machine? If it's recent, then Stern is sneaking those old playfields into new US builds and this is the first confirmation.

November 11, 2017 - Sorry, thought you were asking me.

#5031 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

once it starts - it wont stop.

So is the concensus or in some cases is it small and doesn't worsen?

#5033 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Small little ghosting imperfections will not grow on a seasoned game (over 1000 plays).
If it were new, then I would state different.

Thank you again for the feedback. I believe the machine has under 500 plays.

I have another picture here with the lights on. Would you guys concur that there is a small sliver of ghosting in a few places? If so, should I be concerned it could get worse as I get closer to 1000 games?

If the ghosting doesn't worsen, if I decided I wanted to sell it down the road, would minor ghosting of this nature be of concern to prospective buyers? How much (if any) would this ding the price?
GhostBusterspf (resized).jpg

#5040 2 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

More
Looks good to me, buy it and enjoy!

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go for it. He said it has about 700 plays so I'm guessing if there were major issues, they would be showing by now.

I appreciate everyone' input and help. Being a newb, I just don't have a trained eye yet.

2 weeks later
#5074 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

No idea, but Trudeau is in court next month again.

He is being tried for ruining GB with the wide flipper gap?

4 months later
#5455 2 years ago

I just noticed today that the color dmd is now available for GB. I think this would be a nice upgrade and am contemplating getting one. Does anyone know if it has both an led and lcd option or is it just one? If both, which would be best for GB?

I have a premium. If I buy the color dmd, do I need any additional brackets or anything? Thank you.

#5462 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Both versions are available. If you get the LCD (recommended, it's the most flexible), you need to get the clear screen (to replace the red one) and the standoffs. ColorDMD sells them as a kit. A gasket that seals off the screen area from the 1" gap that the standoffs make is optional. I'm out of them, but I *think* Randy at ColorDMD may have a few left if you ask via email. They're not on his website yet.
The LED is too intense IMO, and less flexible if you want to move it to another machine or try other modes, but if you go LED, you don't need a standoff kit or gasket.

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward the lcd as I like the flexibility of different looks. So the gasket you referenced doesn't come with the lcd kit colordmd sells? Once I have all of that stuff, is it a fairly straightforward install process?

Lastly, can the GB LCD dmd be potentially used with other Stern pins or just the few where the original Spike system was used like GB? Thanks again.

#5463 2 years ago

Does anyone know if the guy that did tge terror dog mod a few years back is still making them? I messaged him here a few weeks back with no reply so assuming no.

#5473 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Very easy. I posted all the steps in pictures in the announcement thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-80-is-ghostbusters/page/2#post-4645130
Also, I'm making some more gaskets available if you want one, PM me.

Thanks Vireland. I am going to try to decide if I am for sure going with the lcd or if led looks good on this pin as well.

Has anyone posted any live video of both the lcd and led displays? That may help me compare and make a decision.

3 months later
#5789 1 year ago

Does anyone know if the Meph terror dog mod is still being made? It says stock out on his page here and he hasn’t replied to my email.

If not, anyone have one or two extra they would like to sell?

2 weeks later
#5814 1 year ago

I bought my GB Premium from a guy locally about 8 months ago. Can anyone tell me how to turn on the scream everyone complains about in the settings? I would like to turn it on just to hear what all the fuss is about but have gone through the settings and have not been able where to turn it on. Any insight is appreciated.

#5816 1 year ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Adjustments - GB - Scare feature (#49 I think)

Thank you. #49 in which menu?

#5817 1 year ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Adjustments - GB - Scare feature (#49 I think)

Did the scream come along with a code update at some point? My machine was made in October 2016.

Wondering if it didn't include the latest code and the guy I bought it from didn't update it. I've never seen the Stay Puft video mode either so that may be the issue.

#5822 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The scream has been there since the beginning and can be turned on and off in the settings.

Thanks but I haven't been able to find it. Any idea where?

#5836 1 year ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Open access door. Press black button twice. Choose "ADJ" then choose "G.B." Go to #49 "Allow Scare Feature" and turn "On"
I keep mine off - it scares the bejeezus out of you as it's loud and completely random.

Thank you!

#5839 1 year ago
Quoted from Don44:

I looked for this in my adjustments menu and the options only go up to 48

I checked it yesterday and it is #49 exactly as the instructions above. It was already on as I updated the code over the weekend.

I heard it for the first time tonight. I was the only one playing and thought it was funny. Also, not nearly as bad as I expected based on what I had read.

3 months later
#6302 1 year ago

I'm looking for the Stern Ghostbusters Ecto lights topper. If anyone has onever they would consider selling, please PM me.

#6323 1 year ago
Quoted from IonRay:

Emailed them this weekend and was told they no longer have any. Messaged over a dozen dealers and no luck so far.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone to make a nice, reasonably priced GB topper.

I can't remember who did the Iron Man "Stark Industries" one with the pulsating arc reactor a few years back but something innovative and cool like that would likely sell well.

#6324 1 year ago

On a separate note, I'd like to conduct an unofficial poll on the best color dmd for GB: LED or LCD?

I've read arguments for both. Was leaning lcd fir the versatility but not sure I want to deal with the odd fit and extras required to get it installed.

#6326 1 year ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Here is a Gasket topic: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-gasket-for-angled-stern-speaker-panels
Here is a Clear Window and standoffs: http://shop.colordmd.com/clear-shield-and-mounting-standoffs-for-new-stern-cabinets/
I got mine @vireland and the ColorDMD LCD, Clear Window, and the Gasket worked perfectly. Kudos to his gasket design.

Thank you. I will read through it. One thing I was wondering is if the color dmd's for GB can be swapped out and used in other Stern Spike games?

If memory serves, they only used Spike 1 for 2-4 pins so wondering if these dmd's would only be compatible with GB and the 2-3 others?

#6338 1 year ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I totally agree that the LCD is nice too...it's all personal preference. I love the brightness, but this game makes me more excited than it probably should, and the LED feeds into that. In reality, I have played other games that I love the LCD DMD for...it's a case by case basis. I'm going to have a hell of a time picking which to get for my Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure but will probably opt for the LED again.

I have the LCD for my IJ and would recommend it over led for the reason it has four different settings. I like the solid one for IJ (can't remember what they call that one). That isn't an option on the led.

This is the reason I'm leaning lcd on GB too. I bought an Iron Man that already had a led dmd last year and don't like it as much on that game the lcd solid setting on my IJ & WH2O.

Hoping LED is a lot better on GB.

#6344 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me if the GB color dmd's are compatible with most of Stern's DMD games or just the pre-LCD monitor Spike games?

#6361 1 year ago
Quoted from Budman:

You two guys own Pros. I first thought Premium because of the cool extras but it doesn’t seem to be the shooter that the Pro looks like. I have only played a dozen games on the Premium. Why do you like the Pro?

GB is a game where the Premium is worth the extra money. If you can afford the Premium, it is the same game, just a lot of worthwhile extras.

#6373 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

Not seeing worth while extras.
Not a fan of magnet slings
Ecto goggles are cool but not enough to justify the price difference
The pro offers the same game play
Pro cab nicer looking than premium.
Virtual ball loc is just fine with me.
And up and down slimer is all I need.

You left out the subway ramp, storage facility, library, etc.

GB is a Stern where you get a lot more stuff moving up to the Premium.

1 month later
#6471 1 year ago

Probably a dumb question but since I'm still learning and not that pinball or electronically savvy, was wondering if you guys might know the answer.

I was thinking of buying a led ghostbusters sign to try to use as a small topper. The problem is how to connect the sign to the game so it comes on/off with the game.

The sign has the option of a usb or standard two prong electric connector. How would something like this be altered to work and plug into the game? Guessing plugging the usb into the usb slots in the backboard either wouldn't work and/or be a good idea, right?

Any insight is very much apprecisted.

7 months later
#8027 9 months ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I had some more of these made up and am now selling them directly. 35+shipping
-
These were designed by me and manufactured by Cliff “Cliffy” Rinear.
They are grained stainless and look factory IMO.[quoted image][quoted image]

I may be interested as well. I am having a difficult time seeing where they install, though. Are they outlane protectors to avoid the cheap outlane hopping GB is prone too?

The guy I bought my Premium from installed a supposed aftermarket fix but I still get a fair amount of cheap hops and drains.

3 weeks later
#8151 8 months ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Wait till a ball takes it out...your gonna be doing some repair on that often. I hot glued the snot out of mine to make it not get wrecked, all over the outside of it. It made it look like Slimer left his juices all over them...

I've had my Premium for 18 months and added a book stacking mod when I first bought it. I also have the air all protector mods installed and have never had a problem with the ball hitting it.

#8152 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

You have a playfield from the original run, then. If you can live with the spelling error and there are no other issues, there's not much you can do about it now, which I'm sure is why Stern pulled this.

This kind of stuff is the reason it is hard to trust a company like Stern and buy NIB.

#8153 8 months ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I love that feature, but man, they really need a volume control for it. I had to turn it off also because its just too loud.

I love it. No need to turn it off unless your play time typically occurs until after everyone has gone to bed.

2 weeks later
#8184 7 months ago

Question for those here that have mods installed with alligator clips, etc on GB. I bought a small Ecto car mod (hot wheels car) a few weeks back that has flashing blue lights. It has alligator clips which are supposed to attach to any GI socket under the playfield so the led flashers are always on. I’ve talked with the guy that made the mod several times but for some reason, the lights aren’t coming on. I’ve tried rearranging the clips and have tried it on what I assume are the right GI sockets in two different locations.

I thought it was a wiring issue but it works when I tried attaching to a GI socket on both my Fishtales and Ironman. I’ve attached a few pictures of the car and sockets I’ve tried attaching it to in my GB. Any ideas what the issue may be? Is GB different somehow? It has to be something I’m missing or screwed up but any insight is appreciated.

B2AB0959-F42A-469E-97AF-28915A54896F (resized).jpeg2468F408-9D3C-48FB-A4D6-F185EE657966 (resized).jpegBE3CA8AD-3DDD-422E-816D-2243062B1131 (resized).jpegEF3323FB-E4B2-421A-B7A2-454BF610D572 (resized).jpeg
#8186 7 months ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

If your metal on metal...you should be good

Thanks. Pretty sure I am. Pulled the black cover off the one side to get to the metal. Does the other side on GB have a clear cover over it my aging eyes aren't seeng?

#8189 7 months ago
Quoted from embryon:

Did you try switching the wires ie. Red to the red wires and black to the yellow. Shouldn't make a difference but my Metallica or walking dead acted like this with a led strip

I did. I'll mess with again this morning but am totally baffled. I've tried it on multiple GI socket clips on the GB and still doesn't work. Works just fine on FT & Ironman, though.

Does an alligator clip mod need a different type of connection to work on a Spike game like GB? Frustrated as to what I'm doing wrong or what the issue could be.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Arlington, TX
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethlehem, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Commack, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Las Vegas, NV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider utesichiban.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside