IMG_1642 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0114 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6967 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6966 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4105 Link to replacement auto plunge spring that improves launch for some. Posted by Spelunk71 (6 years ago)

Post #4120 Shorter Hex Spacer to make left short easier. Posted by Blakester (6 years ago)

Post #4129 Custom target brackets that help eliminate airballs. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #10285 Color DMD variants video Posted by wolffcub (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4947 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunnder:

Don't do it! Unless you glue it.
I put it up on the head box and it lasted 10 seconds before it came crashing down because of the shaker motor and nudging lol.
Lesson learned.

Museum putty.

1 week later
#4997 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Any speculation on what the unused outlane inserts were intended for and how they'll tie into gameplay in the future? ? They are round, red inserts in my game, with no writing or graphic on them. I have a theory that they were intended to be part of the so-called "proton stream" feature that never made it into the game. I'm hoping a the long-awaited code update does something with them.

Supposedly for the never-made proton beams. Mounts and insert lights on the corner of each drain.

I wish they had at least shown us what they planned and how it was supposed to work.

#5001 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I am looking at buying a used HOU GB Premium from a guy a few hours away. The only concern I have is the ghosting and playfield issues Stern has had with these since they brought them out.
I believe this one has a build date in early 2017. Can anyone comment on when Stern supposedly resolved the ghosting and chipping issues with GB? Is anything manufactured in 2017 in the clear?

Pretty safe for playfield issues, but check the spelling on "reinforcement" on the playfield. If it's wrong, that's an early PF from the ghosting era that can have issues later, and you don't want it (or the wrong spelling). Here's a pic with the two versions:

reinforcement (resized).jpgreinforcement (resized).jpg

The 2017 models aren't immune to the cabinet splitting, though, so check the front two corners for cracks or outright splits near the seam. If it's not cracked or split, upgrade the leg plates ASAP to prevent that from ever happening:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step

#5006 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

More
Wow, I found out he purchased in November 2016. I'll have the build date tomorrow but pretty sure it is going to be before November 2016 which concerns me a bit.
Are you saying if the replacement is mispelled, those were the ones that had all the ghosting and PF issues?

The ones with the misspellings were the earliest playfields made and are among the most prone to issues. Stern pulled a sneaky and started sending them out as replacements well after the spelling was corrected on the factory run machines. They also sent the misspelled ones overseas late in the run, they might have even built them into later machines for the US, but I haven't seen confirmation of that. Basically if it's a misspelled PF, that's an easy tell for more haggling or walk away because it's from a "troubled" era of playfield run.

#5007 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

More
Wow, I found out he purchased in November 2016. I'll have the build date tomorrow but pretty sure it is going to be before November 2016 which concerns me a bit.
Are you saying if the replacement is mispelled, those were the ones that had all the ghosting and PF issues?

The one we have for the route I help with was bought in November of 2016 and it's still fine. That's around the time Stern finally got their act together with the playfield ghosting/clear chipping issues. Still has the cheap cabinet wood that's susceptable to cracks/splitting, though. I upgraded the leg plates on it.

#5018 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

More
My GB Pro I bought a month ago NIB has the "reinforcment" misspelling.

What's the build date on the back of the machine? If it's recent, then Stern is sneaking those old playfields into new US builds and this is the first confirmation.

#5021 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

I believe it's July 2017.

I think that's around the time some overseas reported getting old mis-spelled playfields in their new machines, too. No ghosting on yours? The mis-spelling is a bummer, even if the playfield cured enough not to ghost...

#5029 5 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

I don't think Stern fixed the spelling on Pro games. My original and replacement playfields both were misspelled.

That seems...weird, because it's trivial to fix if you're making more playfields. Maybe they stockpiled a ton of Pro playfields and haven't worked through them yet?

I guess if you get misspelled one on a Prem/LE you need to be concerned.

1 week later
#5057 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertille:

today I am happy : I made my best score since the 2 weeks that I have my Ghostbusters !
Sure it is far from the best scores seen on Pinside, but I'm very proud (I'm a beginner) ;+)

It was a great party, with :
- 3 missions completed
- 3 Super Jackpots
- 1 Storage Facility Multiball
- 2 Extra Balls

You'll soon see bonuses bigger than that if you keep practicing. GB has the possibility to build CRAZY bonuses.

#5062 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Anyone have any guesses about the new code? Dates? Thoughts on whether its just gonna be a polish or if it's gonna change the game? Such a great pin would love to see the code get flushed out as it deserves!

No idea, but Trudeau is in court next month again.

1 month later
#5131 5 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

I love my GB pro at home, but It's a game I would never play on location. There's a LOT of tweeking you need to do to this machine for it to be playable and fun. you need a bunch of airball protectors. Shorter springs on scoleri bros, Outlanes need to be narrowed, the library kicker needs to be adjusted once in a while to not shoot right down the middle. I found I needed to adjust my spinner lane opening, because it came from the factory very narrow. Also remove the gate in the library captive ball area....
any time I play this game on location it has been a terrible experience. you need to just buy one and make the required adjustments. ;-P

If you use the Shapeways angled brackets you don't need airball protectors at the targets at all.

#5134 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I have found if you raise the rubber on the flippers very near the top - say within 1-2 millimeters this significantly cuts down air balls on all games!

Really? I don't see how that can help for Ghostbusters since the problem is the stock targets essentially act like a catapult, angling the ball up and off the playfield if they're hit hard.

#5135 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I installed the shapeways targets last week and still get some crazy fliers, maybe not as frequently but I think I’m putting the protected back on.
This is also with the coil strength dialed back.

The main problem we have with the machine once the shapeways brackets are installed is you get a wild ball sometimes that leaves the ramp and goes behind Gozer. But it doesn't happen enough to make me want to put an ugly protector back on. The revised brackets are enough.

#5155 5 years ago
Quoted from benjn:

Hey,
Just got my brand NIB GB Premium - very happy with it - didn't make any change except the nice speaker ghost lighted panels from yoyokopter
Enjoy!
[quoted image]

This kit is worth getting. Really classes up the cheap Ghostbusters HQ (I wish you could just get the building, but they force the flipper covers and slimer cap on you):
http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=6146368

Also, you probably will end up with protectors over the in and outlanes to prevent lane hops. This machine is TERRIBLE about lane hops.

#5158 5 years ago
Quoted from HookedonPinonics:

My playfield ghosted and I got a new one. Now my cab is splitting on me. My distributer said that Stern is making me a new one but it would take a month.

Which is why it's important to upgrade at least the front corners of all Stern cabs now. The wood is just too soft/cheap now. Splitting is a constant possibility post-KISS cabs. $10-20 and some time eliminates that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step

#5161 5 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

I had something weird happen today. My son and I were playing a 2 player game when he had a ball roll not through the subway. game went into ball search and eventually the ball kicked out. The game played for another 45 seconds when the display said game restarting. Game cycled through a reboot. Never has done this. Anyone else?

I've had the machine say "rebooting" and do this, but not under that circumstance. The game is relatively buggy.

#5175 5 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

I'm in the 'pro' camp. The game is hard enough without slimer moving around, and magna slings adding more randomness to the mix. The Premium is Beautiful though, and the magna-slings are COOL. but I feel the Pro plays better.
play em both, buy what you love.

GB Pro definitely does not play better. I've done both, and the Pro is a lesser experience than the Prem/LE.

3 weeks later
#5225 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Gotta say I was a little disappointed no new code showed up all summer....

19 days left of Summer. We're just past the 2/3 mark.

#5233 5 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Thanks for that!! Your's is the same as my mates...what's going on there?? No screw and those 2 angled brackets doing nothing!![quoted image]

Keeps the ball from getting stuck there.

#5234 5 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

When coming down the subway for a ball lock, on my premium, the ball doesn’t seem to make it all the way to the coil. It gets stuck right here and won’t fall into the correct position. I’ve tightened down the assembly and the game is level. What have you guys done to sort this out?
[quoted image][quoted image]

It's level left to right, but what's your playfield angle?

#5238 5 years ago

Playfield angle is about 6.7 degrees.
[quoted image]

Did you check the balls for magnetism? Are they stock Stern or something else like super shiny or ninja balls?

#5240 5 years ago

They are stock stern balls. I just checked and very slightly magnetized. I don’t think strong enough to get stuck together down there though. I will swap them out and try that. Is there something else down there that might be holding them by magnet once that game is on?

Maybe if the bracket down there somehow got magnetized, but you'd be the first if that were the case.

Did you try bending the lip that feeds into the up kicker down just a smidge? It looks like there's room to do it.

Also are you measuring the left to right level with a real level or a phone app? On the Playfield itself or the glass?

#5242 5 years ago

I haven’t tried bending it yet but that’s my next step. It’s just weird, I’ve had the machine for over a year now and it just started happening. Not sure what could have caused it.

Magnetism is theory#1, and alignment issues #2.

#5246 5 years ago

The balls weren't the fix but bending the tabs that hold the bottom piece of that chute to the sides was. I twisted them and pulled the bottom piece down slightly and so far that has corrected the issue. Hopefully it continues to be the fix.

Thanks for following up with the fix. Just a little tweak can make a big difference.

#5251 5 years ago
Quoted from scarybeard:

REALLY weird occurance on my ghostbusters yesterday...
Pro model. Me and a friend were playing a 2 player game. she was player 1, I was player 2. we both did terribly. She got like 15 million I got like 25 million.
After the game ends, screen says 'Player 1 enter initials'. I think "huh, weird. maybe the scores reset and you got terror dog champion or something."
After initials are entered, game says she was the Terror dog champion, with a 125 Million Jackpot. THEN it shows our final scores again, and it shows both of our scores being: P1 52,000,000 P2 55,000,000
WTF..... game gave champion for a huge jackpot that didnt happen, and also didnt show up in the final score? also it changed our scores to what seem like random numbers? anyone else had anything like this happen? I've been keeping an eye on it ever sense but its been scoring fine since then as far as I can tell.....
...my machine haunted?

Terror dog champ bug is widely documented. Your other score one...not so much. Stick it in the bugs and wishlist thread and I'll add it to the known bugs list for Stern.

#5267 5 years ago
Quoted from Litedpinballmods:

Finally!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The license on that art couldn't have been cheap...

1 week later
#5280 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertille:

Wouhou !!!
[quoted image]

Nice work. Now practice making the "K" skillshot (select with the left flipper) reliably and you will at least quadruple that with no additional effort.

#5281 5 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

Being able to pull off one of these outrageous scores on demand would be unlikely. But they sure are fun when everything lines up and you get one!! Finishing the game is still my ultimate goal. Points are nice bragging rights, but I'm more impressed by someone who can complete a game. I've yet to do that on any of my games.

I'll just be happy when we get a much less buggy ROM. Having "We got one" running at the same time as "Spook Central" is annoying (other modes mix, too, all are equally annoying and unpredictable). I also hate that if the ramp is your last shot to finish a right ladder mode, you end up triggering the lit left ramp mode.

1 week later
#5307 5 years ago
Quoted from flipper_fever76:

Hello all, I'm working my way through this thread looking for the best solution for the airball issues and so far it looks like there are 3 different solutions.
1. the plastic airball protectors
2. the target wedges
3. the target brackets
I would prefer to go with either the 2 or 3 route but looking for people's experiences with all three and the pro/cons associated with each. This might be a dead horse in which case i apologize.
Cheers.

#3 (the shapeways printed angled brackets) is the best choice. Cuts the flying airballs way down, but you will still get some that rocket off the ramp and over the back side to the area by Gozer. I'd say you get about 10% the amount of airballs that you do with the stock brackets and no protector. And that's a fine solution that frees me from an ugly protector over the top (that comes with its own downsides). Highly recommended.

#5312 5 years ago

Brackets it is.......thanks for the input. Am I wrong to assume the 90% reduction in airbags curse the equivolent amount of outland jumps? Additionally, how do those brackets hold up over time?

If you put the plastic set over the slings/outlanes, you have zero outlane jumps. Well worth the effort.

The replacement brackets are thicker than the originals and have held up very well on a route where the premium gets a lot of play, so you should be very happy with them.

#5314 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Why not bump the outlines higher from the underside of the playfield - then you can have no protectors.

That reduces the jumps, but does not eliminate them on a well-waxed playfield. Plastic over the top eliminates them 100%.

#5316 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Like the air balls on the 2x and 3x shots! Airball protectors eliminates them 100%
LOL

Do I really need to explain to you that a lane hop to OUT/ball OVER is much more critical than the occasional airball with the angled brackets? So yeah, angled brackets for the 2/3x area are the best solution there, and plastic over the lane guides are the best solution for that area.

#5319 5 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I’ve sorted all issues except the ball getting jammed up in the ramp subway.
Would much appreciate any tips guys?

There are posts on this. If I remember right, it's just loosening the lower ramp part and adjusting. Also, making sure your machine's playfield is level left to right and at 6.5 degrees top to bottom, at least.

1 week later
#5335 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Wanting to buy an LE if anyone is looking to sell. Little worried about the Playfield issues. What do I need to look for or can someone point me in the right direction to read about them? Thanks in advance.

Look for the misspelled "reinforcment" on the playfield. But honestly if an LE has made it this far without chipping, crazing, or ghosting, it's probably okay.

#5338 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I believe that was only the Pro? I think they made multiple runs of that version, too.

It's worth looking for, especially if it's an early run LE as there may have been some overlap.

1 week later
#5346 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I have a GB pro. Love this game. It's a keeper. Ive done a few mods to the game and never had any issues. But, I feel like I want to sell/trade it and get the Premium. I figure its about a $2k upgrade. I haven't played the Premium much, but I like the subway and the hologram. Is that all Im really missing? Has anyone ever said "I wish I had the pro and not the premium"? Im just trying to see what opinions are and determine if I should spend the $2k and the hassle. Thanks

GB Premium destroys the Pro. Subway ramp is way better, magna slings are cool, Slimer does more than just bounce up and down in the same place, Ecto goggles are neat, Library and storage unit are not just a crappy flat plastic. It's a much better experience.

That said, I'd recommend the mezel mods cover for the Firehouse HQ. It looks a WHOLE lot better:
http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=6146368

#5348 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I wish ya could buy the firehouse without all that other stuff.

Yeah, me, too. The flipper bat covers are a waste, and the slime is okay, but I could do without it. The Firehouse is the star, and they know it, which is why it's bundled.

#5354 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I don’t have a ColorDMD. If I order the GB one from the page will it still need a code update when I get it? The game is on location, so avoiding technical difficulties would be great.

The LCDs usually come "blank" with just the SIGMA one-color code on them. You have to use a USB to flash the color code for the game you want onto the display once you get it. It's not hard. But make SURE you order the clear plastic and standoff kit or you won't be able to mount the display.
http://shop.colordmd.com/clear-shield-and-mounting-standoffs-for-new-stern-cabinets/

You also will probably want one of the gaskets I made to seal off the almost 1" gap that these have on angled speaker panel games like Ghostbusters. Details here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-gasket-for-angled-stern-speaker-panels

#5357 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

Vireland, how can I get one of the 1” gaskets that you made?
Thanks, Brett

I just put an ad in the marketplace, and you can also PM me your email and how many you want and I'll send you a paypal invoice.

#5359 5 years ago
Quoted from miga:

Vireland
I‘m using an older color dmd with GB v1.30b with the 64mb rom.
These boards need 12v for the screen and 5v for the board.
(the new boards only need 12v)
I can get 12v from the bottom right hand side in the back box. Do you or anyone else for that matter know where best getting the 5v from to power the board om the color dmd?

Randy from ColorDMD discusses that here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-80-is-ghostbusters#post-4637012

This is the power adapter he recommends that gives 5v and 12v on the same plug:
https://www.pinballlife.com/accessory-power-supply-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-machines-backbox-mounting.html

#5366 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Mine kinda looks blurry compared to the videos I've seen.
Does this look correct?
I have the lcd set on scan. It looked the same on hires.[quoted image]

You have it on smudge mode. Change it to dotsXL and it will look great.

#5386 5 years ago
Quoted from ctozzi:

Is there anything I can do to avoid the massive drains from this area ? I have tried to move the gate and it gets worse. It’s super frustrating [quoted image]

Are you level left to right? I only have SDTM if that gate pops up and the ball isn't guided to the right.

#5387 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I tried them all, I have never used dots but may have to.
Also on my first storage lock, the trap goes black and white at the end of the animation.
[quoted image]

Maybe this is a Pro vs Prem/LE rom thing for that animation? Looks fine on the Premium here. River of Slime, however, is still completely the wrong color.

#5395 5 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Wonder if it some how related to JT court case as it keeps getting pushed back. Really need to update soon.

Next court date in Dec is him taking a plea or the trial date set. At least according to the schedule. But that's only one of the two cases he has against him now.

#5397 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I got my LCD from ColorDMD today. Slapped that baby in my GB pro. No problems. However I will note there is a confusing step. When installing the Chroma.rom off of the USB and you push the button on the left and hold for 5 sec the screen goes blank. There is no progress line or status of the install. I found this out because I walked away to take a phone call and when i came back everything was installed as it should be. Putting the LCD on Scan does seem the best option. Overall I'm really please with the way it turned out. Looks great and a huge upgrade for the game. I will also note that I ordered vireland gasket which will take up the space of where the LCD sits.

If you look at the status lights on the lower right of the board, "PROG" lights up while it's programming the rom, then "DONE" when it's ready to go.
chroma-board (resized).jpgchroma-board (resized).jpg

When you get the gasket installed, post a pic!

#5399 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Ah, guess I didn't pay attention to that. Thanks for the info

It's easy to miss, especially if it's your first one when it's a little confusing, but after you do a few more you'll be able to do it in your sleep!

#5401 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I installed the foam gasket I got from vireland. It looks so pro and good. I highly recommend getting if you change out your DMD.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the post, glad you like the gasket!

#5403 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Also, I have a GB pro and I scratched the decal on the left side of the backbox. Anyone have or know where I can find just that one side decal? I asked Stern and they told me I have to go through a distributor. 1st distributor told me $196. Anyone know of another outlet?

Marco has the LE ones for $39.99 each:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=ghostbusters+decal

I assume they can order the pro one for you since they're sold individually. Here are the Pro version part numbers you're looking for:
Left Head 820-71H5-01
Right Head 820-71H5-02

#5405 5 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

Marco told me to check ebay or pinside.

Then I'd try Terry at pinball life. He can order stuff that's otherwise hard to get. Worst case you can buy the full set and sell off the rest individually.

#5407 5 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

How can they do this? I thought LE stuff is supposed to be impossible to get unless you go through stern and send the faulty back. Next you'll tell me you can buy the backglass. Really the cab and backglass distinguish it from a premium. The rest is easily reproduced. Maybe I'll start buying premiums instead of le's and buy from Marco and mislead buyers when i sell them. Not good in my opinion.

I don't think they're selling the full set of LE cab decals, just the head ones. But who really knows? Stern is weird.

#5412 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I'm looking for a Slimer pendulum assembly. Where can i get one?

Grab the manual (page 48 on the LE one) and call Terry at pinball life with the part numbers. He can order just about anything.

#5415 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

He did speak about this at Expo, video posted in Deadpool forum. Last part of video he talks about several code updates.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deadpool-owners-club-free-chimichangas-for-all/page/19#post-4652771
He talks a bit about GB delayed until next year - maybe summer!

In that video, he talks about Ghostbusters update starting at almost exactly the 1 hour mark:

"Some games we have to pay more attention to because they went out in a greater state of disrepair [understatement of the YEAR]. Ghostbusters has an insert that doesn't do as much as it should [that's one way to say it - it actually doesn't do anything at all]. And it has a hint of a mode on the instruction card that could be more complete [The "Are you a God" mode is in fact completely missing still]. It also needs some polish...and it needs a few other things. It is one of the most popular games...we've sold a lot of them. I think people like to play it. It's done pretty well everywhere. So I have to make the difficult decision sometimes...for the greater good. And the decision is, I need that developer working on the [incomplete] game that he's gonna release soon [or it will be more incomplete], and then MAYBE we can put him on to Ghostbusters.

I think we're getting much better at shipping you things that are "pretty complete". I think Deadpool went out in pretty good shape. I think Iron Maiden went out in pretty good shape. Batman will soon hopefully be complete. It turned out to be everything we promised it would be."

Oh, Gomez.

He completely glosses over the fact that Batman '66 took almost exactly TWO YEARS to get close to being done and wasn't worked on at all for the better part of one of those years. Cesspool was not shipped in good shape and is still pretty marginal game-wise, so only Iron Maiden gets the thumbs-up on software quality and completeness at launch, and that's likely because Keith had done most of the heavy lifting before they reskinned it so they had more time for the software part.

From the way he's talking about Ghostbusters being low project on the totem pole, it sounds like next Spring or Summer AT THE EARLIEST. Maybe that's because in addition to the extensive bugfixes and polish needed, they need to add a whole Wizard mode that's just not there at all and they know expectations two years down the road are high.

#5418 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Gomez pretty much summed it up during the seminar. Ghostbusters is a popular game that continues to sell well for them, so there is no real urgency to update the code.

Exactly. They're working on the other dumpster fires and trying to save his Cesspool design from the mediocre state it's currently in, so why work on Ghostbusters? It mostly works and is still selling and earning very well. Screwed up decision-making, but whatever.

#5420 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

He has two games currently getting regular updates.

Because he HAS to. Stern is still shipping partially to woefully unfinished games, despite his self back-patting at Expo.

Cesspool shipped with 0.83, and didn't have even a reasonable update until more than a month later. GotG shipped with 0.72 and was a complete disaster for at least 6 months when it started getting incrementally better. It's at 1.04, finally, just shy of a year after release, but if that's considered "done" then it's in the "no thanks" category for posterity. Stern really screwed GotG sales up by releasing it as crap and leaving it that way for so long.

#5430 5 years ago

Got a question about the Mass Hysteria Multiball, I friggen hate this mode but maybe because i'm missing something. My premium seems to randomly switch between reversed flippers and regular during the mode, which screws me all up. Is there something specific that is triggering it or is just random/time based? I play the reversed flippers with my arms crossed, it's the only way i can keep my brain from exploding but more often then not the random switching cause me to drain everything and end the turn. Would really love to see a ball save at the end of this mode, or maybe i just need to play better....

The stacked book captive ball turns it off for a brief time.

And yes, I hate it, too. The red lights on the outlanes should blink longer and increasingly rapidly before the reverse kicks (back) in to give you better warning.

#5432 5 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

If you think about it we (the buyers) have only ourselves to blame by buying before the code is done.
That being said - I was never expecting another release when I bought mine. I’m not surprised we won’t be seeing it anytime soon (if at all).

Stern has abandoned code before, but I expected GB would at least get a bug polish, even if they never added the "Are you a God" wizard mode. There are too many annoying bugs not to (overlapping modes that sometimes make a mode unfinishable, random champion scores that have no basis in reality, etc). It just sucks that because it's still selling Stern would rather waste time on their dumpster fire games before they fix Ghostbusters, so another 6-9 month wait, at least.

#5435 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Its funny you say that because I don't think i've ever seen a game thats more loved and hated at the same time. Crazy.

Casuals love it. It's consistently one of the top earners on the route I help with. The ColorDMD will only improve that.

#5443 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol, yeah, I bought that game used from the original owner and was pleased with the pace of the updates for the game. Code support for Star Wars has been stellar and the game feels very complete. I hope the same thing happens for Ghostbusters, which I bought new. I bought my Star Wars LE less then 2 months after Stern put out their October 2017 "Stern of the Union Address"...ugh.
[quoted image]

I've said it a million times, you can't believe anything coming out of Gomez's mouth. Charitably, he's a terrible estimator. Or less charitably, he's a serial liar. The record speaks for itself. Just don't believe anything he says and you'll be fine.

#5446 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Great idea about using the red lights as an additional cue when the flippers are reversing/unreversing. In TSPP I crossed my arms when the flippers reversed. In this game, I don’t do that... I use both flipper buttons simultaneously, like a noob, whenever Mass Confusion is running.

They're kind of using them already, but in a pretty unhelpful way. No need to talk about it for another 6 months, though. No one's working on it because they're busy on the next game that will ship woefully incomplete, too, per Gomez.

#5450 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would think that both Game of Thrones and Star Wars are complete at this point. Sounds like the Ghostbusters update has been delayed until Dwights next game is released...

Game of Thrones needs at least a final bug polish. It still has the unlimited balls bug under specific circumstances.

#5452 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I have a question for you guys that have installed the ColorDMD LED in GB. The ColorDMD website says you need standoffs for newer LED panels. I have seen the pictures of the gap when using the standoffs. The install instructions for Spike systems does not make any mention of the standoffs. I have a ColorDMD that I bought at TPF this year and I am moving it to GB Premium. I ordered the standoffs and the custom foam bezel in preparation for the install. I can install my CDMD without the standoffs and it fits perfectly. Did they change the LED frame so you need those and since mine is older, I don't need them? Or are they used because of heat and I need to install them? The website makes no mention of why you need them so I am a little confused. I don't think that the heat would be any different from the original DMD so I am planning on installing it without the posts unless someone can shed some light on this.
Thanks

LED doesn't need standoffs or a gasket because it's not oversize. LCD does because it's an oversize display and the speaker panel lip is raised at the top..

#5456 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I just noticed today that the color dmd is now available for GB. I think this would be a nice upgrade and am contemplating getting one. Does anyone know if it has both an led and lcd option or is it just one? If both, which would be best for GB?
I have a premium. If I buy the color dmd, do I need any additional brackets or anything? Thank you.

Both versions are available. If you get the LCD (recommended, it's the most flexible), you need to get the clear screen (to replace the red one) and the standoffs. ColorDMD sells them as a kit. A gasket that seals off the screen area from the 1" gap that the standoffs make is optional. I'm out of them, but I *think* Randy at ColorDMD may have a few left if you ask via email. They're not on his website yet.

The LED is too intense IMO, and less flexible if you want to move it to another machine or try other modes, but if you go LED, you don't need a standoff kit or gasket.

#5464 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning toward the lcd as I like the flexibility of different looks. So the gasket you referenced doesn't come with the lcd kit colordmd sells? Once I have all of that stuff, is it a fairly straightforward install process?
Lastly, can the GB LCD dmd be potentially used with other Stern pins or just the few where the original Spike system was used like GB? Thanks again.

Very easy. I posted all the steps in pictures in the announcement thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-game-80-is-ghostbusters/page/2#post-4645130

Also, I'm making some more gaskets available if you want one, PM me.

2 weeks later
#5489 5 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

Joining the club shortly (just waiting on it to ship). Is there an index or key post of must-have mods that I should seek out first? I know ColorDMD is on the list now....

ColorDMD, shapeways printed target brackets for the 2x and 3x targets to prevent massive airballs on this machine, plastics over the inlanes to prevent ball hops, and cliffy protector for the shooter lane are the must-haves. That said, the 3D printed headquarters is very nice.

#5534 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Well, Lyman was the lead on Metallica so I do not see the relationship with GB.
Dwight is the lead on SW, GB and now the Munsters. So I believe the Munsters has to get to a good point of having close to all features working in the Munsters before getting back to GB.

I also hope Dwight is updating his Game of Thrones code, which has needed bugfixes and some polish for years.

#5536 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

well we did get a Star Trek update, small though it was.
I predict we aren't going to see a Ghostbusters update this side of Christmas.

Gomez already said it will be next year, and implied Spring/Summer, so yeah, it'll be a while.

#5550 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok... I have had a GB pro for about 3 weeks... I am shopping it out.. Also of things wrong w/ it but i got most of the items fixed.. A couple of questions:
1. Is there supposed to be a gate divertor at the top right when the ball is coming down from the pop bumpers.
2. Lights.. I have over 40 lights out.. Being that many, do you guys think its not a issue w/ a led boards or a connection?
Any help would be appreciated..

That many lights is probably a connection.

6 months later
#6402 4 years ago
Quoted from UrethraFranklin:

Working on a custom topper. What do y'all think?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Does it light up?

1 month later
#6643 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Are Stern Ghostbuster toppers still available anywhere?? Can't seem to locate one..
Thanks, Martin

They clearanced them a while back at the same time as the GoT stuff. You might find a stray at a distributor.

1 month later
#7119 4 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

Who has time to look at the display?

Extra ball animation, beginning of modes, etc. There's plenty of time to enjoy the color display. It's a great one to update, much like Game of Thrones, which is a totally different display once you can tell what's happening.

#7121 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I can't wait to play it. For what it's worth, here's my $.02.
There were several things that made me cringe a little during the stream (mostly Jack's "gloves"!).

Yeah, those madonna circa 1983/4 gloves were off-putting.

5 months later
#7987 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Yeah given the shipping cost and everything, I'm going to try to make my own out of foam weatherstripping before I pay that much for the gasket... It's not that I think the gasket itself is overpriced but since I can't combine shipping now it's the shipping cost that hurts... If I can't figure it out after a trip to Lowes then okay fine, I'll spring for it...
Jeff

The results with foam weatherstripping will suck. I've been there. That's what I did initially before I gave up and designed the ColorDMD gasket, initially for myself, but eventually to sell. Also, the ColorDMD gasket material is completely different than cheap weatherstripping. The ColorDMD gasket is a neoprene blend (like a wetsuit) and most foam weatherstripping is many steps down from that in density and durability.

Also, if you get the color brackets for Ghostbusters, that plus the gasket (or some combination of gasket, color brackets, or Spike quiet fan kit) puts you over the top for free shipping.

#7988 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I did too so just ordered one. When I first installed mine I emailed ColorDMD to ask if there should be a gap. They acted clueless and never suggested the gasket.

Was that before the ColorDMD gasket existed? It's weird they wouldn't suggest it since they stock it...

#7990 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Just got it this past Fall. Yeah, I emailed them back and forth a couple of times and told them there was a gap between the DMD and front panel... thought I had installed it wrong. He didn’t understand so I just dropped it.

Yeah, that's strange. They've stocked the gaskets I did for at least a year now.

It would be helpful if they had the gasket and the standoff kit listed on the product page for each game with the angled panels that needs them (KISS, Ghostbusters, Iron Man, Metallica, etc) as an option.

I can't imaging running a game without one now that it's an easy and effective option.

#7992 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob55:

I am about to join the club with a premium that I will pick up but wanted to check and see if anyone has suggestions on what I should check on the machine when I pick it up. I know about ghosting and making sure Slimer is registering but is there anything else I should make sure of? Thanks.

Check the playfield for the misspelled "reinforcement" insert. If you have that, it's an initial run playfield (the run that had issues).

reinforcement (resized).jpgreinforcement (resized).jpg
#8009 4 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I’ve had something strange going on with my library scoop.
Not all the time but maybe 3 or 4 times out of 10, when I hit it the extra ball/tobins or scene that is lit isn’t given. The ball just gets ejected straight away.
Not sure if this is a bug or if mine is playing up.
The switch is registering in test and when it goes in the scoop it is ejected almost immediately.
Any ideas?

Switch is loose underneath, or needs the wire adjusted, or one of the switch legs is about to fall off (check that they're all firmly attached). What's happening is it's registering momentarily, but not STAYING registered. Common for that scoop. Happened on KISS, too. Test mode is not a reliable indicator in this specific circumstance due to the frequency of it happening and that you need the ball at speed to test it properly, not a finger, or dropping a ball in.

#8037 4 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

My premium has developed a problem. My Tony Scoleri insert stays litt, my Super Jackpot, and Storsge Facility inserts do not light at all. Also the stacked books inert does not light. I did a node board test. They all said no faults. Also there are no tech alerts. I also noticed while cleaning that only one popbumper led lights up good. Any ideas?

All the ones you're having a problem with except the book one are at the CN3 connector. Locate that connector (almost the middle of the 9a light board - page 28 of the manual pdf) and power on with the playfield up (and balls out).

If you have a multimeter set to DC V, put the red lead on the bottom of the CN3 connector (5v) and the black lead on the bottom of the CN2 connector (GND) and make sure you have 5v (I think you do because Scoleri is lit solid, but check that it's not overvoltage or something).

Then go to diagnostics and lights (LEDs) and select "ALL". While that test is running, and while watching the inserts on the playfield other side (you may need a mirror) put pressure against the long sides of the CN3 connector, first gently pushing one way, then changing to the other side and pressing the other way. If they light, you have a cold solder connection and just need to reflow the solder.

If they DON'T, try taking the CN3 connector partway up the pins and then reseating it to "scrub" the pins that may have built up resistance. And see if that helps.

See where you're at after those tests.

#8044 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I designed one but no real interest so parked the design,
here is my version 1, then I made a few tweaks to the design which improved it over all and have version 2 ready to install (no photos yet).
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like the fact that the toy one has the wall, too. Gives some sense of scale to the device.

#8049 4 years ago

Also the three insert leds are lighting but only slightly. So their getting power but not enough. When I remove CN3 and test the pins I get 5v, but 4 ish volts when its hooked up.

Did you try putting pressure on the CN3 connector when its on, pressing left, then going to the other side and pressing right to see if it's a cracked solder joint at the 5V line?

Also, is the pin for the 5V at CN3 oxidized? Does the plastic casing for that pin in the CN3 connector look discolored?

#8052 4 years ago

Pins look good, I applied pressure both ways and no change. I noticed the same thing with two of the pop bumpers still one has good light the other two are still dim.

If you press on the little LEDs that are dim on the board does their light brighten?

#8054 4 years ago

No luck with any pressure. I'm at a loss.

Can you take a picture of the top and bottom side of the board? The drop in voltage as soon as you connect CN3 makes me think there's a short or bad LED, but I don't have a board here to look at.

#8058 4 years ago

When I power the game on the left Scolari led come on first before any other playfield lights also.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm thinking the transistor is shorted for Scolari. Do you have probes with a fine enough tip to test those points? Also, can you get a closeup of the teeny transistor by the Scolari LED (LED19) so I can see what it even is? It's too small to read in the board picture.

Also, I'd check with Borygard here on Pinside about repairing the board before I bought a new one. It should be much cheaper.

#8060 4 years ago

I have probes small enough to check but I'm not sure how to test those transistors if that's what they are[quoted image]

You've got three of them right there, so comparison should out the bad one. I'm assuming Q20 on the back corresponds to CN3 pin 4 on the other side.

I *think* the lead marked "G" are the pins going to ground. Basically set your meter to ohms and check the resistance with the red and black probes between 1 and G, then 2 and G, then 1 and 2 and then reverse the leads on the points, noting the values on each of the 6 tests. Then compare those readings to the transistors on the other two. My *guess* is that it should show you that the first transistor is shorted open.
ghostbusters-light-board (resized).jpgghostbusters-light-board (resized).jpg

#8064 4 years ago

Ugh I thought I posted the numbers last night. I think it was Q20 that didnt give me readings on both posts.

Makes sense as Scolari is locked on. That's likely your bad part. Unfortunately, I can't read what part number that is to replace it. You may have to end up sending it out to Rob (Borygard) to fix for you.

#8066 4 years ago

I ordered a new board just case. I'll see about getting this one fixed also for sure. Thank you for all the help

Definitely check with Rob as I think the repair is likely cheaper (for future reference).

#8068 4 years ago
Quoted from gk_usa:

Is that really accurate? I mean mine has build date of July 2018 and I don't think it would be associated with an early batch run playfield?
I may be wrong but just curious on your thoughts.

Only the early run playfields had the misspelling. They were set aside and the spelling fixed once Stern was made aware. Stern later used them again when they thought no one was looking to clear backstock of the incorrectly spelled part. Lots of new European ones popped up later with the "bad" playfields. Maybe they thought since it was in English no one would notice in Europe.

#8070 4 years ago
Quoted from gk_usa:

But I'm not European nor was the place I bought it from when it was NIB...
Let's just assume this playfield is "bad". What other indicators would there be? No ghosting thus far, but I'm not entirely sure what the hell that is, lol.
I mean maybe it's possible that this playfield at one point was bad and when they replaced someone's under warranty (read some were lucky to get that) they fixed the problem with the "bad" playfield and put it in there later builds?
Do the playfields have timestamps?

Is reinforcement misspelled on the insert? Pretty easy to tell if you have one.

#8072 4 years ago
Quoted from gk_usa:

Yes, hence my questions

You have a playfield from the original run, then. If you can live with the spelling error and there are no other issues, there's not much you can do about it now, which I'm sure is why Stern pulled this.

#8080 4 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

I don’t think this is a accurate detail. I don’t think they ever fixed the misspelling on PRO playfield. My GB is from late 2018 and still is misspelled.

Ah, Pro. I only know the Prem/LE, so you may be right.

#8091 4 years ago
Quoted from Patrunkenphat7:

So... I’m playing the current code on volume 1, and randomly the game puts a person on the DMB who SCREAMS at me at a high volume, much louder than volume 1. It seemed like a weird glitch and not related to anything I did in the game. Creepy... What was that??

You can turn it off in the settings. Most people do. It's annoying.

#8093 4 years ago

Question on the single LED boards for inserts. If the little diode, or transistor I'm not sure what it is. cause the LED itself to no work properly? Like only barley light?

Yeah. The boards are dirt cheap to replace at Pinball Life. They have them for less than $2 each.

#8095 4 years ago

Ok cool I have four of them arriving tomorrow. If that works I'll have to order the pop bumper ones.

I haven't opened the pop bumpers on Ghostbusters. Are the boards the same as the ones for the inserts? On Iron Maiden they are not. Also, the single LED boards have White and full RGB versions, so you have to make sure you have the right ones there, too.

#8108 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I love that feature, but man, they really need a volume control for it. I had to turn it off also because its just too loud.

Just don't try to turn the machine off when the scream starts. It will leave your volume setting at maximum when you turn the machine back on. Learned that one the hard way.

1 week later
#8136 4 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Finally joined the club last weekend with a premium. This pin is awesome. I saw some pics of flipper toppers with the Ghostbusters logo and Ghostbusters spelled out on them, but I can’t find them for sale anywhere. Anybody know where I can buy them? Thanks.

Mezel Mods used to have those. I don't see them now, just these:

https://mezelmods.com/collections/ghostbusters-pinball-mods/products/ghost-trap-flipper-bat

May want to email them and see if they still have the ones you're looking for.

You can see the ones you're talking about in the Ghostbusters picture on the trough kit page:
https://mezelmods.com/collections/ghostbusters-pinball-mods/products/pinball-trough-lighting-kit-ghostbusters?variant=28469822792

ghostbusters-flipper-bat-covers (resized).jpgghostbusters-flipper-bat-covers (resized).jpg
#8143 4 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

Well I picked up a minty Ghostbusters pro ! It’s been on my want list for sometime . I’ve sold a few over the years but never had one in my personal collection . It had a shaker , color dmd and art blades . I’ve already bought the green and pink balls for the capture lock, Walter peck toy for the containment unit , a 3D libaray /plastic from an Le, slimmer cover , drain buster lane guards and some other things . If there is something else that seems worth it let me know . Anyway was sitting here at the house and thought that the mode inserts could use a little color ,so I got some packaging tape and washable markers . I removed the light boards and cut the tape to the length of the insert and just taped it down . Then I used the color I thought would look close and colored the tape. Took me all of 10 mins and I think the result isn’t to bad for the cost of some tape and 3 markers ( which I had anyway) . Best thing is just pull the tape and no biggy . I have to say I really love this game , totally worth it to own ![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That Storage Facility sculpt is the one to get. It looks great.

Those white LEDs are very hard on color. I'd be interested to know how the markers hold up.

3 months later
#8409 3 years ago
Quoted from Ripshill:

Hi guys,
I have encountered my first major glitch with my Ghostbusters Premium. The left library scoop does not register the shot all the time, but instead simply kicks the ball out and the flasher goes off. If Tobin is lit or Extra Ball is lit, I assume you should be collecting those rewards each and every time the shot is made into this scoop. Or is this normal. Love to hear your thoughts on this.
Thanks,
Ripshill

As others have said, this is just the switch. Bend the arm up a little more so it makes a more definitive close when the ball's in the scoop and your problem's solved.

1 year later
#9509 2 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

What are these tabs for on the plastics ? Are they to stop ball trap ? I have not taken off the glass yet to test.
[quoted image]

I think they were for the proton canon toys that were supposed to go in the area over each outlane, but never happened, even as an add-on later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
15,699 (OBO)
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 103.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-club-we-got-one?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.