IMG_5283 (resized).JPG
IMG_3379 (resized).jpeg
5D7850F1-C7F1-40E5-9D71-B6556B5B407B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
99FC1046-68C2-42E1-8999-D286B8C8E350_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
GBstud (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4105 Link to replacement auto plunge spring that improves launch for some. Posted by Spelunk71 (6 years ago)

Post #4120 Shorter Hex Spacer to make left short easier. Posted by Blakester (6 years ago)

Post #4129 Custom target brackets that help eliminate airballs. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #10285 Color DMD variants video Posted by wolffcub (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Time to hype this release some more, lol.

Get hyped!!!!

You certainly have posted this same hyperventilating "bullet list" every two pages on any GB thread lol... I like your enthusiasm
but since you haven't played the game... are you getting a Stern kickback per post? THEN this might make sense

Naaah I'm just kidding but how about some balance from people that have actually played the game? Constant side to side drains, dribble down the middle drains, balls jumping the outlane rails and draining, right ramp damn near impossible to hit cleanly, only seeing the first three modes because you have to actually COMPLETE the modes to continue...yadda yadda and so on.

I'm not saying any of these issues doom the game or can't be overcome but why hype others into buying something sight unseen until we get a better feel for the whole package?? Hence my Stern kickback quip... only THEY benefit from buyers buying into hype before actually playing one on location. And from the reports from people that have played the game on location... they won't be that hard to find in the wild.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from Rokablly:

I thought I would get negative comments for other reasons. The irony is that I never use hash tags but I saw someone else do it in an earlier post and figured what the hell. Now I know what the hell!
Anything else I should not do as a newbie?

Don't post much.

lol no enjoy yourself. Some of us have been around since the early days of RGP and that had the truly unmoderated "I'll be coming to your home to kick your ass" kinda comments. Ahh the memories

It's more like a kid's birthday party over here... mainly fun with the occasional crying fit.

2 weeks later
#310 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Solution: Turn the volume up

It's not when you play when it's noise is an issue. It's when the machine is sitting there droning away. I'm sure Stern bulk bought the cheapest and noisiest fans they could so it may be as simple as putting in a larger, slower rotating fan. I'm hoping some industrious
pinhead who's also irritated by unneeded noises comes up with a cheap kit.

On another note... do we have the usual right or left flipper buzz and chatter when held like older Sterns? I thought somehow they caught up with WMS from 20 years ago and finally had dual wound coils?

#312 7 years ago

Yeah I followed that earlier but it still seems like more of a discussion than a final solution. Final report seems to be to mount fans in the backbox to prevent Stern's buzzomatic from kicking in. Still it's doable.

#314 7 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I'm not sure this will work. When the game boots up the fan is allready at full speed. The temperature doesn't seem to matter at all put the power consumage (wich may not ne for every Spike game because the LE have different power supplies than the pro models). Because when you'Re in maintainance mode (and the backlighting is off) the fan slows down a bit.
Since the game sits as my one and only pin in my office, I can't work with that buzz. ANd I don't want to to turn it on and off all the time because I kinde enjoy the moody lightshow.

You'd think with the cool LED's producing less heat and using less power you could just pull the fan leads... It's not like it's going on location and be on and played 16 hrs a day. I'd probably find a way to monitor the temp and see if the constant fan is even needed in a home environment.

#323 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I was told that it has dual wound coils.

Yeah but somebody here posted there are only two leads going to each flipper... buzzing single coil. I thought with GOT they had advertised the new flipper system so I'm not sure why they would go backwards?

I just figured with all the people that had played it or now own one they would notice the buzz... though it usually doesn't start out right away. The coil stop has to take a little abuse first.

I've also never found away to completely eliminate it - you can monkey around with the stop and it will subside for a bit but it always comes back...

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

KISS was 3 lug coils and GoT brought back 2 lug coils, but they don't buzz any more.
Rob

Yeah they don't buzz on TRON either so maybe my last gen TSPP or regular run LOTR were the last of the "buzzers". Must be why nobody complains about it anymore I figured maybe I just hadn't noticed the buzz when playing newer Stern's on location.

Thanks for the reply

1 week later
#467 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so you want them to send you the nail in a baggie with an instruction sheet? What if that is there solution?

lol. Hey be careful for what you wish for!

3 weeks later
#782 7 years ago

I just got TWD Premium (PF made in march I think) and the balls were nice. Shiny and perfect. Like "bought from Pinball Life, Marco, etc" nice. It seems at least in THIS area Stern got their act together.

#785 7 years ago

Just hanging a little bit lower!

4 weeks later
#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Ok folks,
Now that you have all seen the Hot Pink GB, it's now up for grabs! Stock machine with Hot Pink trim/armor installed. Slimer mech fix in place and works perfectly. Has about 50 games on it and plays perfect! Selling because I can't handle the really bright proprietary color changing LEDs that Stern has installed. My eyes simply can't handle it which is too bad because we really like this game...
Anyways, looking for a nice Addams Family first, but would consider other WPC titles. I'm not looking to sell at this time or trade for any other newer Stern titles (Spike system games). PM me with any other questions. Located in Concord/Bay Area. Thx!
Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

Not sure why you would want any other Spike games as they fry your retinas also... GOT.etc... I've found it's easy to get some colored gel sheets and cut them up to insert between the light board and insert to color them and it dims them considerably. For the color changing RGB's you could use a grey to simply dim them.

If it's about the trim color I'm with ya... I don't think I'd want to see that color every morning I get up either

1 week later
#1209 7 years ago

Man that new Slimer mech is about as fugly as it gets. Talk about Rube Goldberg. Surprised this was as good as they could manage.
I know it was last minute but really...

#1238 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I think mine was like 48 mil and also got a gozer hurry up at like 50 something. No idea how to build that one up. Just kind of happened. Also, I have no idea how to light the PF mutipliers at the captive balls, nor can I tell when the playfield is multiplied.

Great score Chuck... I'm with ya on "learning as you go". After a while you'll know all the little mysteries in scoring anyways. It can be more fun this way at first.

Stay mystified my friend!

1 week later
#1360 7 years ago

My only thought with Cliff's shooter lane setups is then you have the balls hitting hard against the sharp edges of the metal protectors... and with multiballs, etc it's throwing the balls against it quite a bit. In fact the long piece that is on the bubble side seems like it will skid along the edge of every ball as it is launched. I just wonder if that will scratch up the balls prematurely and then they scuff up the rest of the PF?

Probably not an issue as he's been selling them for years and never read a complaint... you could also replace the balls earlier (if you regularly inspect them).

I gotta say I've never seen shooter lanes get so quickly damaged as these newest Stern's. I have 20 year old WMS titles with no protection and far less obvious wear - some with almost zero wear . It's either the clear or a vastly overpowered coil (or both). I'd eventually try swapping the coil for further piece of mind.

#1389 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

From another thread, the most recent LE's (born on July 29th) have a fix installed for the captive ball wire bending issue... Just trying to spread a little positive news, Stern is slow to react but they are listening.

That's a pretty fugly fix...

4 weeks later
#1475 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Yup I'm jealous ghosting inserts and no response sucks!

I hope I don't sound like a total ass for asking this but do you now wish you had just cancelled? You heard about all the problems and participated in the discussion for what?... a month or two so you knew this was more than just a remote possibility.

I ask because I'm no gambler on these kind of things and would have bolted during that time. I already feel guilty about spending this kind of money on a non-essential toy that I will only play *so* much and any tension just spoils it for me.

It's always been a bit of a crapshoot buying a Stern NIB but usually a manageable one. Nothing like *this* episode.

I thought I was done with NIB but had to have a TWD Prem and I dodged a bullet on that one. I couldn't find a single tiny issue on it... so Stern CAN make a quality product (and it's pretty fantastic) - but between the unrealistic prices and the obvious decline in build quality I don't see myself having the courage to try it again.

"Courage" is an odd word to use when talking about buying a company's product - maybe I've just gotten too risk averse to buy these anymore without inspecting them first.

Could be a company motto though: "Show some courage! Buy a Stern!"

Hopefully they'll turn this around.

4 months later
#1994 7 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

The Backbox illumination Kit from MezelMods is Awesome!! It really makes the clouds POP in the back!! Easy to install and the pics do it no justice!!

Now you need some Bent Plastic.

#1996 7 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

zoom in, bent plastic is installed....

Oh you're right - I forgot that only blocks the DMD and not the glare off the backbox.

1 week later
#2036 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

did a road trip and finally picked up a new GB Pro. beautiful looking game...
I haven't played yet and noticed already probably 100 dimples (to be expected from a play test but still surprising having not played it yet). My question to those having bought new sterns, on inspecting the playfield I noticed 6-7 raised bumps in the clear where it must of had crap / dust on the playfield when curing and never buffed off. What is going to happen to these spots as that are in the main front to middle of the playfield. Will they level off or will the clear possibly crack / chip? I can't put a mylar piece on it as it will just bubble.
is this just a normal thing and will the raised bumps level out?

My TWD Premium had ZERO dimples on the PF which shows they never playtested it...thankfully everything worked 100%. I doubt if they usually have the time to roll a ball on the PF. The testing must just be of the mechs, coils, etc.

Sorry you got a "bad" PF but the bumps (while not normal) probably won't change over time. You're just stuck with it.

It's impressive people still have the balls to buy Stern NIB. I know after all I've seen I certainly could never do it again. Maybe HUO where it can be inspected but opening the box is more anxiety-producing than enjoyable.

3 weeks later
#2092 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I am officially a member finally! Machine looks beautiful, the switch at the top of the subway ramp wasnt registering on every shot but I bent it out a little and it registers 100% of he time now. Ghostbusters is an absolute blast! The ball does stay in the pops a long time, is there anything people do about that like maybe turn the power down on them? Can you even do that? My game is set up with the bubble in the middle where its suppose to be as far as the slope goes.

It really CAN sit in there forever. Somebody posted a video of a ball seeming to stay in there pounding away for what seemed like forever but was probably 3 or 4 minutes. Imagine the PF damage that will eventually do. There's been some tips over here on how to fix this wonderful design

I can remember when people claimed TWD kept the ball in the pops too long...

1 week later
#2164 7 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Ok premium / le owners... I just played 1 game - beat who let the dog out, then was shooting for the left orbit - OMG - hit the 2x standup & the ball flew all the way back over the flippers and drained, went for it again, hit the 2x again - this time the ball flew diagonally across the playfield over the right slings & drained. Third ball shooting for the big ramp - hit the ramp and the ball jumped and smacked the glass - this game is possessed! I've got Arts ball hop protector ordered, but do the flippers need to be turned down? I'm afraid to play it

I'd turn down the flippers as on a waxed or new game you don't need a ridiculous amount of power. Plus to stop airballs from standup targets you need to angle them downwards towards the PF. Then the balls don't go airborne.

There's many ways to do it... some games (WMS/BLY) you can just bend them downward and slide a small shim behind them that can't be seen and holds them in place. If they are really stiff you can loosen them under the PF and put a couple washers under the front so when tightened they point downward. Or you can simply try to build up some stiff foam behind the front target leaf to point it down and keep it down.

This game is worse than most in this regard but with some experimentation you should be able to get it under control.

2 weeks later
#2400 7 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Good call, great set.
Cliff does excellent work.
Community announcement:
Did you know the "Cliffys" on your GB are not Cliffys at all?
Stern stole his designs for the VUKs on GB and the shooter lane protectors on BM66.
Boo, I say.
Down with the man!!

I guess Cliff couldn't find a way to patent his designs completely so Stern made their "own" version

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 103.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-club-we-got-one?tu=manic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.