IMG_1642 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0114 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6967 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6966 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4105 Link to replacement auto plunge spring that improves launch for some. Posted by Spelunk71 (6 years ago)

Post #4120 Shorter Hex Spacer to make left short easier. Posted by Blakester (6 years ago)

Post #4129 Custom target brackets that help eliminate airballs. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #10285 Color DMD variants video Posted by wolffcub (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Have already added speaker lights, speaker grill acrylics,

I hope you like them, though the designs are just called Acrylic Designs, as they are not associated with speakers, grills, pinball or even my Speaker Light Kits. If they were accessories for my Speaker Light Kits they would obviously be in the accessories section of my website, which they are not.

They are intended for general decor and various D.I.Y. projects. I use them as decorative drink coasters at my house, but a person is free to use them however they see fit. It looks like they worked out quite well in your project.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

IMG_2379_(1).JPGIMG_2379_(1).JPG

#251 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Nice> GB Under the soda! Is that a bottle opener also?

You know I haven't tried that. I would say with the right design shape it could be. jk...Acrylic is a bit brittle for trying to open a cold one, but otherwise....the possibilities are almost endless.

#293 7 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

so this can now be mounted to a side panel or base panel or a overhead panel

I have no idea what any of those things are???

1 week later
#508 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

I had Mass Hysteria Multi Ball yesterday, totally confusing with the reversed flippers, you can see me do a couple dumb drains before i realize the flippers had switched back and forth. I wish maybe they would say some audible cue exactly when the flippers have switched to reversed and back again.
» YouTube video

Possibly a "Cross the streams!" and "Don't cross the streams!" callout? It's so obvious......it'll never happen.

9 months later
#2347 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I have a question for those with the Flipper Fidelity speaker upgrade.
Do you have any speaker light kits installed? If so, how is the fit?
I'd like to upgrade my speakers, but I'm afraid the deeper speakers in the backbox will conflict with the power supply as the speaker light kit adds some depth.

When you order your speakers from Flipper Fidelity....it has an option to select if you are planning on using speaker light kits or not. If you select you are using the speaker light kits...they sends the upgraded speakers without the spacer rings attached to the front of them. In that case...the light kit frames are being used for the spacer that the extended tweeter needs.

If you already have aftermarket speakers with the attached spacer rings on the front of them, the spacer rings can be removed. I have explained this on my website here:

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/SPIKE_Speakers.pdf

I hope this helps,

1 week later
#2476 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see the printing on the bottom now, I had to stand on my head inside the cab to see mine.......good thing I can read upside down. LOL That solved one problem but it still leaves me with the other which is "my shaker plug is taken up by the power distribution board so who makes a splitter with the connections to plug the shaker motor into that plug"?????

I think I see an issue here....and keep in mind I'm just spit ballin'.

I *think* the original plug connection that was plugged in the Cabinet Node 1 CN14 is supposed to go to the Aux Power Boards INPUT. The PASS THRU should then come out of the Aux Power Board and go into the CN14 connection on the Cabinet Node 1 board.

That is always the way I understood it to work...take an original plug that was going into the cabinet node, run it through the aux power boards and them pass it thru to the cabinet node board.

Looking at things...it appears the Aux Power board has +48v printed on one side and GND on the other of the INPUT connection. It is the same size 5 pin connection as the shaker motor connection and also pinned the same (except the shaker motor would already be +12v instead of the +48v the Aux Power board is expecting). My guess is the power board is just taking the +12v you are feeding it instead of the +48v it is expecting to "jump down" and using it.

You can also see the factory wire colors for the CN14 wires match what is going to the INPUT on the PBL picture(Black on one and Grey-Yellow on the other). On this picture you can also see the PASS THRU connection coming out of the Aux Power board is the same as what is going into the CN14 connection on the Cabinet Node 1 boards.

My guess is the instructions are wrong (or have changed) on the Aux Power board. If the connections are keyed (which many times they are not) or haven't changed (which many times they do, this mistake shouldn't be able to happen.....but my guess that is what is happened and you are feeding the Aux Power Board the +12v from the shaker motor connection instead of the +48v it is expecting from the CN14 connection.

UPDATE: After going back and looking at the picture that you posted...I think you have everything connected correctly EXCEPT the harness that is coming OUT of the PASS THRU connection on the Aux Power Board should be going into CN14 instead of CN16....but don't take my word for it. Ask PBL or give the instructions for the Aux Power Board another look.

Pictures are the board diagram from PBL, install pic from PBL and Cabinet Node 1 info from GB manual.

pbl-600-0002-00--2 (resized).pngpbl-600-0002-00--2 (resized).png
pbl-600-0002-00--3 (resized).jpgpbl-600-0002-00--3 (resized).jpg
GB Manual (resized).jpgGB Manual (resized).jpg

#2477 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You are tapping into the power for your aux board in the wrong spot. You want to use the ticket header connection, which is located at the top left of the board. You will need a SPIKE 12v power adapter like this one ...
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3721
The shaker port should be used strictly for the shaker. You don't want to connect anything else to it.

Quoted from imagamejunky:

You beat me to it!
Also, be sure you connect to the top left ticket header CN11 which is 12v. The ticket header next to it is CN2. CN2 is "ticket low" which is 5v only.
Junky

I thought you both beat me to it (after I got done posting), but I'm gonna call you out and say I *think* you are wrong (but in a friendly way of course).

The power adapter that PBL sells that plugs into the ticket dispenser is a standalone single +12v plug. This board is not meant to plug in there. As pointed out above...the Aux Power Board is meant to accept +48v (or so PBLs diagram says) and jump it down to +12v and +5v while passing the +48v on to the Cabinet Node 1 board where it was originally plugged in.

I believe the Aux Power Board is meant to grab the power from the power supply in the head BEFORE it hits the Cabinet Node 1 board and NOT be grabbing power FROM it. One of the main reasons for having it is to be a buffer between the power and the Node Board if something goes wrong or pulls too much power.

#2478 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Installing the PBL shaker in my Pro...simple right. Well I can't find CN2 on the board and the instructions show it plugged into CN16. So is that where I plug it into? If it is there's a problem, that's where my aux. power board is plugged into. So now what? Is there a splitter for that plug available somewhere.....assuming that CN16 is the place to plug into for the shaker. Any help would be appreciated. A simple plug in mod.....right.
My game

Instruction sheet

The CN16 connection was originally called CN2 on earlier SPIKE games. Looking at your pictures...and seeing what I have from the manuals (and the PBL Aux Power Board info)....I don't see how your game would even operate with it connected as your picture shows.

You show the plug that was originally in the CN14 connection plugged into the Aux Power boards INPUT (which, I believe, is correct), but instead of plugging the PASS THRU going out of the Aux Power Board into the CN14 connection....you have it plugged into the shaker motor connection (CN16). How is your game even working with nothing plugged in the CN14? How is the Cabinet Node 1 Board not minding power from the pass through going into it through the shaker motor CN16 connection??? How is the Aux Power Board not minding +12v coming FROM the Cabinet Node board into it's "output" connection??

Hooked up like your picture...I'm surprised things have been working fine for you or the game is working at all without getting the +48v input to the Cabinet Node 1 board that it is expecting at the CN14 connection.

??? Still a bit confused, but I bet a call / e-mail to PBL will explain you should be running your PASS THRU to the CN14.

#2481 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I forgot to plug it back in before I took the picture.

So what did you plug in the CN14? In your picture it looks like what was originally in CN14 (5 pin connection with BLACK on one end and GREY-YELLOW wire on the other end) is plugged in the INPUT of the Aux Power Board. Which is where I *think* it IS supposed to be plugged in.

#2482 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well I don't know what happened now. I disconnected the splitter board and plugged the shaker in and it played great. I turned the game off and came back a few hours later, turned the game on and got this message on the dmd "Up dating node board runtime. Under those words were a 1, 8 and 9 in seperate box's. Then a seperate screen came up that said "Update Failed......Please power cycle" which I did 3 times.
The game will power up but the start button is not lit and I cant start a game. I looked at the node board when the game was turned on and the red led on the right side of the board is lit but the orange led in the center is off.
I think my board died. I killed it.

I have a hunch. You had the Aux Power Board connected correctly. CN14 plug going into the INPUT of the Aux Power Board and the PASS THRU coming out of the Aux Power Board and going into the CN14 connection on the Cabinet Node Board. You went to install the shaker...where confused by there being no CN2 connection down there like the shaker instructions said...so you unplugged the pass thru wire going into the CN14 looking for it. After the confusion you accidentally plugged the the pass thru wire that WAS in the CN14 before into the CN16 (shaker connection) by accident......

Sound like that might have happened??? Even if those connections are keyed...they are keyed completely opposite of each other...so they could be plugged in backwards and the keys wouldn't have prevented it.

#2485 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looking back, in the first picture I had it part right. I see where I went wrong but it's to late now.

RIP Cabinet Node 1 Board. It wasn't the first to die and I'm sure it won't be the last. It seems they could have really used a bit more engineering as they have changed a few times in the handful of SPIKE games that have been released. Why have 2 5 pin connections the same size right next to each other, both only using 2 wires in the 5 connection housing and have them pinned completely opposite from each other so they can still be plugged in incorrectly??? It just seems like there should be enough configurations in there to make them different. Why not a key in the middle of one and one on the right side of the other???

Yeah....I was wondering from that picture how anything was working.....as it didn't seem good for the Cabinet Node Board or the Aux Power Board getting and sending power in different places than they should.

Sorry Paul. Hopefully this cautionary tale will help someone else out.

6 months later
#3890 6 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I'm working on installing my coin taker speaker light kit. The last step it to plug the power cable into the auxiliary power plug down the right hand side.
I don't see an auxiliary power plug? What am I missing?
(I do have a shaker installed)
Thanks

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/SPIKE_Power.pdf

That is where the SPIKE Speaker Light Kit is meant to be plugged in. Of course I can't be sure what power cable / adapter were included with the kit that you have.

2 years later
#7753 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Another question for those with the Laseriffic topper.
It says to plug into CN6.. but I have a color dmd that already is plugged into CN6.
Any ideas?

As bicyclenut mentioned, the ColorDMD should have come with an adapter and splitter (SEE ATTACHMENT). This will allow you to hook the ColorDMD into the CN6 connection and leave an additional +12v connection to hook another mod into. Unfortunately...that extra connection is the SAM type +12v connection and not the CN6 type.

I have seen this mentioned on multiple threads and it is becoming a bigger issue. That open (from the factory) CN6 connection is getting way too crowded. Many mod makers are flocking to it, seemingly without any concern about where people are going to plug other powered mods into. I think it would have been best for all mods to have stuck to the classic SAM type +12v power connection and include adapters to hook into the CN6 or some other +12v open connection on the game if they would like to. As it is, getting splitters and adapters that use the SAM type connection are easy to find, easy to make and cheap. As for the CN6 connection....I have found one source to add 1 additional CN6 type connection (making 2 total) and it was $40. If mods had the SAM type connection, a person could get a more affordable 8 way splitter to plug into the CN6 connection and have plenty of room for other +12v mods to plug in.......as long as those mods are using the classic SAM type power connection.

https://www.pinballlife.com/8-way-power-splitter-board-for-stern-pinball-machines-using-the-spike-spike-2-system.html
ColorDMD for GoT & GB (resized).jpgColorDMD for GoT & GB (resized).jpg

9 months later
#8645 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Back in the club. I had a GB before and it was a nice one. But this one is far better. And, it has the "Holy Grail" of toppers... . My previous one was loaded with dimples, but this has almost none, under 200 games.
Here's a link to detailed pictures: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0rJEsNWnJtkcNo
Here's how it's equipped/modded:
‪-Stern Topper
-Color DMD‬
‪-Full cliffy protector set‬
‪-NO GHOST ACRYLICS Speaker Grill Insert‬
‪-Custom Book stacking mod‬
‪-Stern Lasercut plasma gun side rails‬
‪-Custom Ghostbuster logo Backbox Hinge set‬
‪-Speaker Light Kit 10‬
‪-GHOSTBUSTERS 3D GHOST TRAP‬
‪-ECTO GOGGLES SHIELD‬
‪-River of slime plastic pop bumper mod‬
‪-ECTO 1 Lighted Car MOD‬
‪-Arcade Keepup Dimming Backbox Kit‬
‪-TILT Graphics Sideblades‬
‪-Ghostbusters Scolari Brothers Drop Target Spring Fix Kit‬
‪-Shaker Motor Kit‬
‪-Custom Coin door magnets‬
‪-GB Keychain‬
‪-PerfectPlay Silicone Rubbers‬
‪-Flipper Fidelity Complete Stern Speaker System With 10" Woofer‬
‪-PinGuard Cabinet, Felt and nylon Leg and bolt Protectors‬
‪-Leg Leveler Rubber Castors - Set Of 4‬
‪-PinGuard SPIKE Shooter Lane Protector‬
‪-8-Way Power Splitter Board‬
‪-Metal Hex Spacer (Ramp Fix)‬
‪-BriteButtons Illuminated Flipper Button (Purple)‬
‪-Gozer Action Figure‬
‪-Pinmonk Full color LED Gels‬
‪-Die Cut Ball-Drop Protective Playfield Mylar‬
‪-Ghost Trap Flipper Bat covers‬
‪-Ghostbusters Pinball Backboard Illumination‬
‪-Ghostbusters Pinball Slimer Pinballs - Green with Pink‬
‪-Ghostbusters Pinball Scoop LED‬
‪-Swapped out to lower pressure plunger and auto launcher spring‬
‪-Extended Sling Protector with Center Post‬
-‪cp3r's Airball Protector‬
‪-Ghostbusters Mirror Replacement Mod‬
‪-Replaced with Williams/Bally heavy-duty inner Leg Bracket‬
‪-Stern Yellow flippers‬
‪-TerrorDog figures‬
‪-Ball Baron Ninja balls‬
‪-Added Stern service bulletin for the node boards‬
‪-Fixed the left flasher issue that can short out‬
‪-Custom Instruction cards‬
‪-Stern Tournament Button and Switch Assembly‬
‪-Ghostbusters Upgrade Kit - center post‬
‪-Replaced with Stern Lockdown Bar and Receiver Assembly‬
‪-Pinstadium lights kit‬
‪-Ghostbuster logo Plunger Plate‬
‪-Swinks Target Wedge - 4 Degree mod‬
‪-Stern Firehouse and sign‬
‪-Handpainted custom slimer covers‬
‪-Custom Subway car mod‬
‪-Yoyokopter pink outlane guards‬
‪-Yoyokopter ghost trap mod‬.
What do you think? Anything else to add?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The speaker lights / GB acrylic designs would look much better if you mount the speaker grills BEHIND the light frames.

H done white light (resized).JPGH done white light (resized).JPG

10 months later
#9469 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Doug at speaker light kits has something similar.

They aren't just similar.....

#9477 2 years ago
Quoted from tasman:

How are these mounted
Thanks

With that design...I highly recommend you mount them in the order of...

From back of speaker panel:

acrylic design (mirror side out)
hex standoffs (included with Speaker Light Kit)
Speaker Light Kit light frame
speaker grill
speaker

If you have upgraded speaker that has extended tweeters that protrude past the speakers mounting points I recommend you remove the original speaker grills from the mount stack all together.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits)

PS: More back in stock soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 103.00
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

15,699 (OBO)
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 49.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-club-we-got-one?tu=dugfreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.