IMG_5283 (resized).JPG
IMG_3379 (resized).jpeg
5D7850F1-C7F1-40E5-9D71-B6556B5B407B_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
99FC1046-68C2-42E1-8999-D286B8C8E350_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
GBstud (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4105 Link to replacement auto plunge spring that improves launch for some. Posted by Spelunk71 (6 years ago)

Post #4120 Shorter Hex Spacer to make left short easier. Posted by Blakester (6 years ago)

Post #4129 Custom target brackets that help eliminate airballs. Posted by swinks (6 years ago)

Post #10285 Color DMD variants video Posted by wolffcub (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnaman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6171 4 years ago

Hot diggity damn! It looks like I am in the club!

Long story but I was in after the original reveal on an LE; deposit paid, waited out the whole time for shipping and had to give him up due to some challenges that I was experiencing at the time. It arrived NIB but a friend swooped in and took it away. Fast forward 3 years and I will be picking one up Saturday morning with a new replacement PF in the wait. I will get the pin home and set up and then arrange to do the swap. This replacement populated PF was made available due to the original plagued ghosting debacle. All that said, my day is finally approaching!

I have just ordered a full set o' cliffies but has anyone here opted for the new thinner (.5mm) Playfield protector:
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/jfscMWEhZk-Cw5zNSeDD2g?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=Ghostbusters%20(Limited%20Edition)%20%7C%202016

Not sure if it is overkill but after seeing the dimpling on our ACNC, that just killed me especially after opting in for the buttered cab and all of the trimmins'. Still watching that as I might be checking in with Spooky if anything else happens beyond dimpling.

I will try to go back and determine which other mods are essential or just plain fun.

Is the new audio mix done with pinball browser or is there more to it?

#6185 4 years ago

Got my LE home on Saturday!

Added a couple of homemade mods already.

I wanted the books to be much taller than the mods that I've seen online. Lucked out with this set from a local comic book Shop. Made some custom brackets and voila! It's going to be fun modding this

IMG_20190519_0917181 (resized).jpgIMG_20190519_0917181 (resized).jpgIMG_20190520_1631043 (resized).jpgIMG_20190520_1631043 (resized).jpgIMG_20190520_1631219 (resized).jpgIMG_20190520_1631219 (resized).jpg
#6191 4 years ago
Quoted from billrz:

Thanks. Got the color installed. What a great mod !!

Did you order the LCD with add-on mounting kit? Just ordered the display bundle, looking forward to it!

#6193 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Do you have list of sizes you ordered ? Thx !

I'm interested in a full rubber kit as well, if we get a proper list together it would be greatly appreciated.

I saw pics of the glow titans on the ACNC and they look killer. Maybe the same for GB?

1 week later
#6228 4 years ago

Hey all,

So still new to my LE and lovin' it. What is frustrating to me is seeing the ball come out of the pops, under the gate, bounce off of the RT orbit rail just enough that the ball come SDTM. WTF!?

I need to order a hanging center post plastic but what else should I be looking at to help?

#6235 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Level side to side?

Quoted from sethi_i:

A center post probably won't help that. Center posts only save a ball that is coming directly from the middle. If it's coming off the right rail at an angle that just misses the flipper, it will probably hit the side of the post and slide into the trough.
Leveling and pitch is a better fix.

Quoted from desertT1:

Yeah, something is off level because that feed should go straight to the right flipper.

Bang on! It was the front of the pin, I leveled it and now I only have an occasional drain, everything else goes to the RT flipper. Although there wasn't much of an adjustment the ball definitely shoots harder now as well. That part is odd but play is much better now, thanks!

1 week later
#6316 4 years ago
Quoted from IonRay:

Joined the club last week with a nice HUO premium and have been looking for an official Stern topper all week... search has been frustrating at best.

Welcome! I'm fairly new as well and lucked out with an LE. I love this theme and this pin.

I would like to bounce around ideas for a DIY topper. The Stern one seems alright but is it worth that kind of money? Does anyone have detailed pics; all sides and possibly the harness and PCB? How complicated is this thing? There are a ton of intelligent pinheads out here.

#6319 4 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

see post #6305 above for topper posibility

That is the Stern one. I was trying to determine if anyone has been thinking about a DIY approach to this. More pics of this one, from all sides along with wiring harness etc... would be a good reference. Interested in other people's thoughts on that.

$500 USD = $669 CDN + tax, comes to $756 + shipping etc... That's a lot a coin for an okay topper.

2 weeks later
#6405 4 years ago
Quoted from UrethraFranklin:

The ghost is 3d printed. I printed him pretty big, it's about 11" wide. The no sign is lasered pieces of wood I glued together.

It will, I'm gonna cut the letters out of acrylic then light that up. I am having a guy 3d print a 15" tall proton pack, we'll see how that goes though.

It's a beauty!

I've just stumbled on that 3D file online, it's fantastic and will use it for sure (in a small way). Where are you 3D printing these and how cost effective is it to do so at that size?

1 week later
#6416 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Please come back to the thread, there's a big party next Tuesday celebrating 30 months of no code update!
[quoted image]

Am I the first to arrive? I was sitting in the car waiting to see if others were here yet but the suspense was killing me.

I've brought Hi-C Echo Coolers and Twinkies!

1 week later
#6469 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The striping on the ghost catching screens for the LED is a known issue and we will be issuing a fix. Have not seen the slimer screen without color.

Can you confirm that the 'Tournament Play' related screens are on the 'to be colorized' list. There is currently no color on these screens.

Regarding this slime river, I like the visualization of the green but would like a pink option. Assuming that the pink is in the works, it would be great if there could be separate ROM option for each.

Thanks in advance!

#6470 4 years ago

Does anyone know if I can order just the large plastic piece for the reverse hanging center post. Pinball Life's kit has a whole kit; IE: with the green slime plastics etc... which my GB LE came with.

If it is not available would someone have a scan or outline file so that I can CNC one myself? This outline and one for the flyball protector for the left ramp (2 standup targets) would be great!

#6474 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

For the center post mod, its all separate pieces. So you don't have to install the actual center post and just have the lane hopping overhead piece installed.

I was hoping to not have to purchase the lot, just to use the largest piece. I already have a small post for it as well.

No real rush but I think that I'd like the option to save SDTM balls.

#6500 4 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

GL most if not all distributors are sold out.

Has anyone shared pics of the inards? It doesn't look that fancy for the price, is there a special PCB/control board in there?

3 weeks later
#6632 4 years ago

Can someone share a picture of the center captive ball and gate(s) area where there is a black nylon spacer? Just putting everything back together and this fell out when disassembling this area.

Thanks!

#6644 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Does anyone know if you can change the auto launch strength? I was looking last night and couldnt find the setting.

I was just going to ask the same question. Installed the walking SP and occasionally the autolaunched ball hits the 3D printed box/motor. Not happy with that.

#6652 4 years ago
Quoted from omgitsadam:

"Ghostbusters – We’ve recently allocated additional resources to the Ghostbusters update."

Is this the latest update?

#6654 4 years ago

I just finished readying my LE, so like everyone else I now wait.

#6666 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Do you still need this? I couldn't see a black spacer when I looked...

No longer needed but thanks for asking.

My replacement PF came with the Stern stainless steel plate so I gathered that I needed to raise the black metal top piece to accommodate. Just inserted a couple of washers and Simmer still clears the plate nicely. Not sure where the single small spacer actually sat.

1 week later
#6710 4 years ago

Has anyone had success with updating GB (PRE/LE) with pinball browser? (with a ColorDMD)

#6717 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Nope,
Switch the rubber rings around for much more action .

Sorry, what do you mean by this?

#6726 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

So is this after they've been switched? The small rings go above the large ring?

These are conflicting

My new PF came with smalls on bottom, large on top. Not sure which is 'better' to achieve more action.

#6731 4 years ago

Thanks guys!

Mine has the reverse at the moment. Gonna change it in the morning.

#6741 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

You will be Amaaaaazed

Indeed. Played a couple of games and those slingshot ghosts are out in full force. Simple adjustment, I love it!

#6746 4 years ago

I like the idea of the save posts below in the market place as well as the center post and plastic. Need to get or make me some.

1 week later
#6758 4 years ago

They still have playfields to send out? Is dimpling the only issue?

I thank that it was for insert ghosting not dimpling but maybe others can chime in.

#6780 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Updated sounds really make it special. Bobby Brown MB #1
It's also my dream theme...

Mine as well!

Is anyone sharing sound libraries?

#6811 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

am working on ball interactive ones

Keep me posted as well please! (#3?

#6812 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yes - this is the link to the PREMIUM custom music I made for this game. Music from the movie - it really brings it to the next level.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tTE0I1PVY7rKK_EsSaC4g_Ln0qfo68nx

Thank you! I will look up how to install this. Is there a backup for the original that is available or that I need to do?

#6814 4 years ago

Well, after having my full PF swapped out not too long ago my Tony Scoleri LED is out. I have swapped out the bulb but it is still dead. This connects to a node board but I can't really make out where based on the manual.

Has this happened to anyone and can you tell which board and connector to look at?

#6817 4 years ago

delt31 installed and enjoying the new tunes, thank you!

I will watch the movie again to get reacquainted with the songs

#6830 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm in the same boat. Love the LE and it's actually not even that bad with the current code especially seeing how this game actually has all the actors, voices, etc
When it was released this was expected but with all these new games cutting costs and not getting all the assets, it really stands out.

I too LOVE my LE. This thing is gorgeous!

Looking forward to the new code.

#6846 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Premium, thanks for the screw check idea. I’ll take a look.
Thanks,
Jeff

I bent the switch arm outwards a bit, zero issues since. ...but I will go back and check the screw(s), although I should have noticed if the switch was loose.

#6906 4 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

I‘m glad I got one before the hype started!

Me too, and the LE is what I snagged as it was on my wishlist!

1 week later
#7004 4 years ago

I sent a support request to Stern regarding the LED for the left Soleri insert being dead (some time after the PF swap) and haven't heard back.

Should this be called in or is there a better way to get a response?

1 week later
#7202 4 years ago

Is there a checksum for the file(s)?

1 week later
#7389 4 years ago

I have mentioned it before but my Tony Scoleri insert LED is out and I had previously emailed support but have since called it in and zero response. Bigger fish to fry I suppose but I just want the light to work. DUMB design.

#7450 4 years ago

Revised this post:

Using WinMD5Free to compute MD5 hash value for files, these are the values that you want to ensure that the files are not corrupt:

I have an LE so this applies to LE (and PRE I believe)

ghostbusters_LE-1_16_0.spk
MD5 checksum value:
9ff343efbd6a81f0443e5ed79e48f988

Ghostbusters_le-1_17_0.spk
MD5 checksum value:
5be4bd68c7a48b950abcbbf0604b7b57

NOTE: For my .17 update this morning, I used the same FAT32 formatted USB as .16 and it would not work. I tried different times with restarts etc... all failed. Used another FAT32 formatted USB and it worked. I was able to use the VOL button to go to the FULL or UPD menu and selected Update; went fast and worked.

#7453 4 years ago

How is this?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

These look better to me. I like the idea of accenting the top and a bit of the side of this mech but it doesn't need to be completely covered. I think that it would be too distracting from Slimer.

1 week later
#7513 4 years ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

They are probably waiting to see if there will be another update before finalizing.

Hopefully they are working on it and can just add any changes later.

#7524 4 years ago

@UrethraFranklin, you really do some great 3D modeling.

The slimer much topper just seems too much for me. Like it highlights a huge block over his head. I personally like that the arm/mech is black and less noticeable.

Regardless, there are some who will love it so keep on creating!

1 month later
#7742 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

It has nothing to do with the vuk’s, the factory metal playfield protectors are thin and have slightly buckled/warped so when the ball comes around the orbit the metal is not flush with the playfield and thus the ball direction gets altered.
Anyway, again I’m just asking if anyone that has changed theirs out with Cliffy’s could chime in with any pointers. THX

I bought the full cliffs set and installed all but the left scoop as that looked like too much work considering that the stock protector was not bent up. The rest was pretty straight forward but does take time. Hopefully that helps.

I then installed a full playfield protector, the new thinner type (I had just installed a fully populated GBLE PF (stern swap) and waited for the cliffies and PF protector). The cliffies may be redundant with a PF protector but I don't regret buying and doing it all, the pin is a keeper for me.

2 weeks later
#7805 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The Chroma ROM updates in November included some unannounced updates for Ghostbusters.
The announced 4.2 Ghostbusters release includes some additional fixes and support for older Rev 1.2 and 1.3x boards.

Thank you for the time and energy to provide an update!

Curious about Tournament mode, is there no love for these screens? They just look bland in grey or white

2 months later
#8004 4 years ago

Just online with Pinball Life looking to order a real knocker kit for GB LE and EHOH LE but when looking in the backbox of my GB LE, there is an assembly on the lower left that has 2 23-800 coils installed, with coil sleeve in each but there is no coil post. What is this assembly for?

#8006 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That's some kind of interference filter for the speakers. I remember when I upgraded to flipper fidelity I took them out. It's nothing to do with a knocker

Crazy sounding but must be true if you had to yank them out

Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#8123 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Reminds me of growing up.

NEVER GROW UP!

6 months later
#8739 3 years ago

Might have just found my new topper.

IMG_20201006_2018421 (resized).jpgIMG_20201006_2018421 (resized).jpgIMG_20201006_2022243 (resized).jpgIMG_20201006_2022243 (resized).jpgIMG_20201006_2032154 (resized).jpgIMG_20201006_2032154 (resized).jpgIMG_20201006_2035052 (resized).jpgIMG_20201006_2035052 (resized).jpg
#8741 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

That looks great and different to what you normally see

Thanks. It may work but I would have to center drill on the resin piece to secure it to a mounting plate or similar. It would be neat to have some spots/lights setup on it as well. I did inquire about the tech that is within the actual Stern GB topper but it is one or more node boards in there so not likely easy or possible to duplicate that.

#8743 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Put stay puft on a metronome

I do have the moving Stay Puft mod for the in-game SP, that's cool! I was thinking that I could connect spot lights to that same signal to light up the topper. What are others doing, if anything?

#8745 3 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

Just wanted to post this . A Buddy of mine is working on 3d printed ghost trap for that shitty plastic on the back panel . I’m curious if there are any interest . The final version will be painted and we are also thinking of adding a green plastic inside the trap for a better effect . We are also playing with the idea of having the blinking lights as well . Not sure what it will cost when done but will be a simple install . Let me know why you think and what you think is a fair price for it .
[quoted image]

Sounds cool! I am interested so far and will watch for more details.

1 week later
#8792 3 years ago
Quoted from camcamaro1991:

Most of us swap the rubber, put the sling rubber in on bottom, put the smaller "O-rings" on top, stops the problem you're having. Did this since I bought it never had a problem. Some notice an improved response, I did not, you may adjust the switch as you see fit.
[quoted image]

I did the same after reading about the improved response and couldn't be happier.

GB sling (resized).jpgGB sling (resized).jpg
#8804 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Why did you change the gi globes Btw?

These are UV LEDS. I figured that I would install them when I put all Glow In The Dark Titan rubbers in. It is a neat effect but I was only able to put them in a few places on GB as there are mostly SMD LED everywhere.

#8805 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Glow in the dark looks fantastic, does it glow at all during game play?
Did you have actual Titan's on the IJ? The Superbands look similar to the Titan, but feel totally different. By different, I mean awful. I thought the Titan's were pretty close to the real rubber feel on every game I've tried so far.

I have also installed full GITD Titans on about 4 of my pins so far (GB LE, ACNC, AFM, EHOH LE) and love the look. They do not often 'glow' during play but I guess it depends on how dark your room is. Although they are actual GITD, it is the neat green colour that looks gret all of the time.

#8808 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Shopping out my game and I noticed my Gozer plastic didn’t have a head. Anyone have an extra to sell or know where you can buy single pieces?

I know that you've found one but I couldn't wait to remove mine and replace it.

IMG_20201026_1152158 (resized).jpgIMG_20201026_1152158 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#8950 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

I hope they do vault it so I can get a topper!

Can we reverse engineer the topper? I'd like to see what makes it tick.

#8951 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I hope they do a little Christmas Update (though I know they won't), still a couple little bugs and would love to access and switch between God Mode and Regular game play mode without opening the door - left button and start button for God Mode would be cool ?

It sounds like some of us will have to watch for the EULA that gets applied to all new code updates. I don't stream or anything but some will be bothered by the changes to the agreement. Only time will tell what this means for the rest of us.

7 months later
#9487 2 years ago

Has anyone used this as a topper?

Ghostbusters Plasma Series Spengler’s Neutrona Wand Premium Collectible

Toys R Us has them and they are very reasonably priced. There looks to be a lot of interaction with this so I am curious to know who here would have the know how of how to tap/wire into it. Maybe with an arduino to trigger things based on specific lights in the pin?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9489 2 years ago
Quoted from oradke:

That would be awesome! The original topper is highly expensive unobtainium. Saw it listed on ebay for 4000 USD! Insane.

And I don't actually like the Stern topper so even at $1K it would a non-starter for me.

Well, I had to go buy one of these and see how it looks up there. I like it! Now to find the arduino magicians out there...

IMG_20210810_1450092 (resized).jpgIMG_20210810_1450092 (resized).jpgIMG_20210810_1449572 (resized).jpgIMG_20210810_1449572 (resized).jpgIMG_20210810_1447587 (resized).jpgIMG_20210810_1447587 (resized).jpgIMG_20210810_1448128 (resized).jpgIMG_20210810_1448128 (resized).jpg
#9493 2 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

Wow !! That looks awesome.

Quoted from embryon:

what does it normally do out of the box? What effects etc? How much is it too? Looks amazing

I believe that they are $99USD. It was $146.99 ($166 total) CDN here. Totally worth it IMO. The batteries (3x AA) go into the end of the handle and this has two screw in caps, one is flat like in my picture and the other allows you to connect a hose/tube. This might be to connect to a separately released proton pack later, who knows

swinks This thing is cool, many small metal pieces like the switches, the meter display (LEDs) is cool and the intensity adjustment knob for sound and vibration works quite well. you actually have to switch on the toggles in the right order to power it up.

#9494 2 years ago

Wow, this guy is a bit of a hack. I was surprised at how much of a collection he has and yet carelessly rips through the box. He seemed quite bothered about the base being plastic and brown. To be fair, you would want to glue and secure it to use as a topper though but above all didn't appear to have read the included manual. The 'green lever' is used to release (pop out) the end. You manually push in the end and then use the lever to release it. It also makes different sounds while retracted and released. It also took him until the end of the video to determine that the intensifier knob on to works. Odd way to cover a new product but regardless I think that it is something that would likely sell for much more.

Here is a more enthused reviewer,one who not only read the manual but also interviewed one of the prop guys from the movie:

Hopefully a few others here get one and we can try to find someone to help tie this into the pin. I'm not sure how exactly but I like the potential. Of course if nothing else it does look quite cool on top or you can create a mount and mount/hang it on either side of the backbox. I will look to see if I can convert this the from 3x AA batteries to a DC adapter at the very least.

#9497 2 years ago

wolffcub Happy to hear that you grabbed one. Share pics when you have it setup.

I too won't be too particular about integrating it right now. What you've described would be a fun start.

1 month later
#9699 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Wow, maybe we can create interactive toppers using the board you bought, the flasher/RGB node control board and some stern flashers?
And here I was thinking these things were unobtanium.
Is this the 16 LED serial board that controls the lights in the topper? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6831-01
Between those two, it seems we could remake or create a new interactive topper.
I'll take the plunge and order the parts if you can confirm the reference/part number (520-6831-01).

I would love to know how this turns out! It everything is functional then maybe we can come up with different ideas for an interactive topper. Not necessarily the same style at all we can light up other things.

1 week later
#9777 2 years ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

Nice Mod. See, I knew there was a reason why I kept holding off on getting the original firehouse mod. Looking forward to new developments on this!

Me too. There was just too much potential to create and replace the whole building.

1 month later
#9937 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Titan glow in the dark!

I love Titan GiTD. I have installed these on at least 4 or more of my pins already; GBLE/ACNC/EHOH/AFM come to mind. They looks great and they last.

#9958 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

to add some more fun
- Alternative Movie code - with music

Great summary list!

Which other alt code is available? Which are you using currently? I have one installed, not sure that I recall the details but I find it just 'okay' music-wise. It seems rather quiet mostly but I seldom light the machine up so that could be it.

#10007 2 years ago

Hi Everyone.

I was playing maybe a dozen games this morning and found that the flippers seemed to get weak and almost just 'all of a sudden'. I noticed it with the left but then it seemed to be both but it was definitely odd. I kept playing thinking that maybe it was in my head but there is just no way, something was happening. Have others had this happen? If so what was the cause? I have confirmed that both flipper coil settings are currently set to 'hard'. Thanks.

#10009 2 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Search for PinMonk's coil fans. This is a known problem. Coils tend to run hot and get weaker the longer you play, say over 30 minutes. PinMonk has done thermal testing and this used to happen way back in the 90's to us older guys, we called it flipper fade. If your coils are measuring good ohms, no worn components, you may need to invest in some fans from PinMonk. Hope this info is a good starting point.
Ken

Definitely a good starting point. I will be mindful of how it plays when cold and over X time and proceed from there. Thanks.

2 months later
#10589 2 years ago

@cottonm4, you could make a 3D bezel or a sticker to cover that if you really wanted and they'd likely sell.

1 week later
#10656 2 years ago
Quoted from DanTheMan:

I probably missed it in the 213 pages of posts, but where’d you get those streams? Freaking awesome.

If you find out please share the details. Thank you.

#10663 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

Would this LED Neon Strip lighting work to make those streams?
https://www.birddogdistributing.com/hot-pink-mini-led-neon-strip-light-12-volt-16-4-feet/
[quoted image]

Unfortunately not as those are almost rectangle in shape, not actually round. You can see the lit top but the sides aren't lit up.
This might be a better visual of what I am trying to describe, you wouldn't want this:
neon led strip (resized).jpgneon led strip (resized).jpg

UPDATE:
I was poking around and these may be the same or very similar to what we are looking for:

3.3ft (or longer) LED Round Neon Rope Light, DC 12V Flexible 360 Degree LED Neon Strip Lights (Pink)
61OIOIIQxZL._AC_SL1001_ (resized).jpg61OIOIIQxZL._AC_SL1001_ (resized).jpg
https://www.amazon.ca/XUNATA-Flexible-Degree-Waterproof-Decoration/dp/B07F681BW3

- You would have either two runs with a 12VDC power each or with a splitter or you can add a 'T' and connect each side to the 'top'/'thru of the 'T' and the single power source to the 'bottom' of the 'T' connector. I suppose that you could connect everything under the apron if you want to do it that way.
51l9bd7WpdL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg51l9bd7WpdL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg
https://www.amazon.ca/XUNATA-Connector-Shaped-Splice-Accessory/dp/B081347HQH/ref=pd_sbs_2/135-8969336-4952200

10M (or longer) EL Wire DIY Flexible Neon Light Glow Rope LED String (Color : Purple (pictured in blue but you'll get it), with 12V Driver (instead of battery)
613b18SZxyL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg613b18SZxyL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Flexible-String-Decoration-Festival/dp/B08TVM4392/ref=sr_1_57

#10666 2 years ago
Quoted from DanTheMan:

Holy crap. You all rule! Let me keep looking. Any other info is always welcome.

I tried to find 12VDC items to keep everything of the same voltage which I think would be ideal to simplify things.

The only other thing that I can think at the moment, besides confirming that the main rope style lighting here is the right size (diameter) and ensuring that you have or make standoffs, might be to have a light controller to allow fading, chasing or similar unless you just want them on all of the time. Let me know if you give it a shot, I'm curious to know how you make out.

11 months later
#11544 1 year ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

For those who may have been awaiting for another batch of a walking Stay Puft Marshmellow...
I just got an email from Mezel Mods that they are making these again and taking preorders now.
--ANNIVERSARY EDITION: Ghostbusters Pinball Walking Stay Puft (PRE-ORDER) $240 plus shipping.
Just FYI as I have been wanting one of these forever.

It's neat but Jeebus, I forgot how much I paid for it, in CDN $$.

1 week later
#11587 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I am now in process of trying to get my magna slings working. I have determined that I need a new node board that runs the magna slings.
This is what I have found out today.
1) Ghostbusters is a Spike 1 machine. I thought, incorrectly, that it is a Spike 2 game. It makes a difference.
Here is. a pic from Marco Specialities.
[quoted image]
Here is a pic from Pinball Life
[quoted image]
The 1st) item you need to look at are the part numbers from the Marco pic. You also need to see that Marco has no stock.
The 3rd number down, 520-6985-72B matches the number for Node 9 board. This is on page 25 of the Stern service and operations manual that Stern provided with the pin. The only difference is that the part number in the manual is 520-6985-72' The "B" is missing. I don't know what this means.
The 2nd ) item is the last part number in the Marco pic 199-7017-00A. This is the exact part number that is imprinted on the node board on my play field.
The 3rd) item is the Pinball Life pic. It has a part number of 520-1057-00. Notice that this node board is called out as Stern Spike 2 Node Board.
The pics of these two boards look exactly the same. And they look just like the node board in my Ghostbusters. But these boards are not the same.
I talked to a gentleman at Pinball Life. Since GB is a Spike 1 game, the board that Pinball Life has in stock will not work for GB. He said Stern does not recommend installing a Spike 2 board in a Spike 1 pin.
Pinball does not have the node board that controls the magna slings. He told me that PBL keeps ordering it but it has not come in yet. PBL is expecting an order from Stern to arrive tomorrow and he told me to call back tomorrow.
So, I need a 199-7017-00A node board for my GB premium. No one has it in stock.
If Pinball Life does not get any of these in tomorrow, then I am going to sit down and write a letter to Gary Stern asking him why I should even consider parting with my hard earned money for a new Stern pinball for thousands of dollars with----no reassurance that needed parts will be available 5 or 6 years out. It is like this: Gary, Stern needs the home market in its business mix. You have said so yourself. Are you going to commit to supporting the home market long term or do you just cut us adrift after 5 or 6 years.
There is nothing to lose. The worst he can do is toss my letter in the trash.
I'll be back when I have something else to add.

Good luck, we'll all need it. Stern is pumping out new pins, likely at their highest production counts ever. I think that Spike 1 is long in their rear view mirror. I hope that I'm wrong as I love my GBLE but this has me greatly concerned about our future.

#11591 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I hope you are wrong, too. But if Stern is following Apple Computer's business model of sunsetting its computers after 4-6 years and obsoleting them in 8 or 9 years, we might have to resort to a shaming campaign, ala Taylor Swift. When Apple was trying to get a free ride on musicians' music for Apple's own advertising, Taylor Swift hammered Apple hard when she said, "We don't ask for free iPhones." Apple felt her hammer and changed its ways and paid up.
I hope you are wrong.

I hope I am wrong. Spike 1 short-list of games was because they quickly realized that they had to compete with larger screen video and animations As you likely already know. Enter Spike 2 and look at that list of games. Stern was reluctant to release schematics and technical details on the node boards in the early days. I don't know if that has changed but if there is proprietary IP on these boards that the MPU is communicating with then we might never see a 3rd party replacement, unless those are licensed through Stern. I had read that someone had hoped to develop boards. Let's hope...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
#11607 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. I managed to find Stern's support phone number and talked with a very helpful support representative who goes by name of Eddie. Very helpful.
There are been several superseding part numbers for this node board. You know, problems develop and changes need to be made to the board.
According to Eddie, Ghostbusters and WWE were the last 2 Spike 1 games produced. I'm not sure about the WWE but this is what Eddie said.
He said the last 2 Spike 1 games use the 8 driver node board just like the Spike 2 systems. Since Stern is still building Spike 2 games, the Spike 2 boards will be available for awhile. But Spike 1 games are going to be stuck with what parts that they can find under all of the rocks.
I'll try to not get everybody confused
The 199-7017-00A is the the Node Board 9 in my Ghostbusters. But that number was superseded by 520-6985-72. This is the part number that is in my manual, so sometime between building my GB and the manual being printed, the part number was already superseded.
The part number that Pinball Life sells is 520-1057-00. Eddie at Stern says this board will work. Pinball Life says it will not work. Pinball Life says that several customers blew up this board when they installed in in Ghostbusters.
However, Eddie tells me that before installing this 520-1057-00 board that I need to install an SD card with he latest code; After I install the new SD card then I install the 1057-00 board and start the machine up. Pinball Life says it is not familiar with this SD Card/node board combination and advises against it and also advises that node boards are not returnable. So, you take you chances. The story gets better.
The latest superseding part number is: 520-7017-72 is in stock at Pinball Life. And this part number, according to both Eddie @ Stern and the guy at Pinball Life says the 520-7017-72 will work in GB.
Pinball Life's order has come in and the 520-7017-72 node board is now in stock. I will be making my order shortly.
So, we Ghostbusters owners have dodged a bullet. But the earlier Spike 1 games have been cut adrift and are at mercy of the aftermarket suppliers is the way I am understanding it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Epilog: With Pinball Life you need to know absolutely what you are looking for. You cannot search for parts by game since this node board is used in several machines. You would have to know the part number you need, or you have to search "spike node board". With that search term the part shows up.
These are all 7 of the node boards Pinball Life has in stock.
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=spike%20node%20board
Marco has a few more Spike node boards in stock. But Marco is out of stock on a lot of node boards.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=spike%20node%20board&VIEW_SIZE=60&VIEW_INDEX=0&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy
** I hope I wrote this clearly enough that you all can understand.

I am picking up on some of this, thank you.

Should we attempt to create a new summary list of all node boards & part numbers that will will work on a GB with 'X' version of code on the SD?

#11609 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

I reckon it would be good and help others down the track.

I'm elated to read that GB just falls inside as the one Spike 1 pin that supports some of the Spike 2 boards following a software update. There are going to be some pissed off owners of WM, GOT, KISS pins though. I know that someone had posted about the US or California requirement for replacement parts but I seem to recall reading about a similar requirement in Europe or overseas. Curious to know if that too could help.

#11611 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yes. I breathed a big sigh of relief, too. But should we let the Spike 1 owners be left in the dust? Eventually, Spike 2 will get the axe, too. That super high dollar Supreme pin is also a Spike 1 machine.
I am no organizer, but it seems we need a thread for all the Spike 1 owners, all the Spike 2 owners, to flood Gary Stern's snail mail with requests for just what is Stern's policy for supporting these $10,000 pinball machines for spare electronics parts. Like how many years can an owner of a new Bond LE or that super duper 60th anniversary Bond be assured that spare parts will be available.

All good/valid questions. This could possibly be remedied with updated code for the other spike1 games to support the more common spike2 boards and then by simply licensing out the reproduction build of these boards. Will this happen or can we press to try to make this happen?

#11636 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My replacement Node 9 board for the magna slings arrived yesterday. I installed it this afternoon. Here are some walk-thru pics of the removal of old and install of the new Node 9 board.
It arrive in bubble wrap, packed in with some other parts I bought. There were no instructions. No advisories. Just the board.
Part number: 520-7017-72
[quoted image]
This is the board I removed. It shows the original part number. 199-7017-00A
[quoted image]
On the backside, it shows a superseding part number: 520-7017-72A
[quoted image]
This is the the number stickered onto new board: 520-7017-72E
[quoted image]
This Node 9 board is buried under a cluster of wires and sits just in front of the Scolari Brothers drop targets.
[quoted image]
There are 2 RJ-45 cables attached that look just alike. I labeled the left cable as LEFT.
[quoted image]
First step is to remove the Scolari Bros. drop target assemblies. I removed both but you might be able to get by with just removing the right target assy.
[quoted image]
Then unscrew the wire harness "ladder" that is used for cable management. You need to free up the wire is the reason for this.
[quoted image]
I removed both lights for the Scolari Bros inserts. Again, you may be OK with leaving the left lamp alone, but space is tight in here.
[quoted image]
There is another harness "ladder" a little farther down the play field. Unscrew this one as well.
[quoted image]
Now is time to start removing connectors. They are the locking style of connectors and do not like to disconnect easily
[quoted image]
You don't want to be pulling on any wires. What worked for me was to take a small screwdriver and sort of wedge it between the 2 connector pieces. And then you sort of walk it off the connector that is on the board
[quoted image]
As you start working connectors from the board you will gain some slack in the wiring which will help with removing the remaining connectors ( it should go with out saying, but take a good pics of every connector. Once disconnected they can hide quite well). You don't need to mark the connectors. They fairly well stay in their correct position so cross plugging is not a big risk, but invoking Murphy's Law, a determined individual could mess this up.
Once all connectors are released, there are 5 screws to remove. And the the board sort of twist and slides out in to the Scolari target position and you are free.
The screw standoffs are shorter on the replacement board so you will not be able to use the same screws (that are captured in the standoff). I went to the hardware store and got 5 each #6 sheet metal screws, 5/8" long.
[quoted image]
Reverse the procedure and install the replacement board.
This was not a hard job. Probably an hour and one half while loafing.
============================================
Nex up was to get the latest Premium Ghostbusters code installed to a new USB thumb drive.
I followed the instructions which are easy to follow.
[quoted image]
And here is where I am at after the software update.
It will start and does not see the Node 9 board. And then it allows me to start a game, but it does not load a ball into the shooter lane.
I don't what I have down wrong, if anything. I will have to contact Stern support in the morning and see what's going on. I hope I get to talk with Eddie again. He is a good CSR.
I will be back when I figure out what the solution to this problem is.

I wonder if you had to download the code to flash the SD card directly and then following that power up, it would update the node board(s)[?]

SD IMAGEG are here: https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/
GHOSTBUSTERS v1.17.0 (PRO, PRE or LE)

Details on how to proceed.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/How-to-Create-a-SD-Card-for-a-SPIKE-System-Pinball-Machine.pdf

#11658 1 year ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

But before I forget, this is an AWESOME MOD. If I figure out how to put video on Pinside, I will post it!

Agreed, a great mod!

#11660 1 year ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

Quick search on converting movie file to gif worked wonders.
Here is my Mezel Mods walking Stay Puft V2 2023.
[quoted image]

Doesn't play as a GIF for me, but I have the mod so I am familiar with it. It is worth having for sure.

#11678 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Call support. Talk to Eddie.
Ghostbusters is a Spike 2 pin. Like all of the Spike 2 pins made today.
But if you can find out the part number of the chip it looks replaceable. It is a surface mount chip. But you can replace it. I have had to replace a couple on a Weebly SDU board. And the Uno display kits you can buy and build use all surface mount chips.

I know that we have been discussing the swappable node PCBs as being SPIKE 2 compatible with switch selection to identify the Node# but were you in fact told that GB is entirely considered a Spike2 system? Can a Spike 2 MPU PCB be swapped in? IPDB has it wrong if so and I was under the impression that GB would have otherwise had a larger animated display if it was, instead of the DMD. Is this a timing of development and release thing that they just pushed it out with the DMD? Actually, as I type this I recall that Batman 66 was prioritized for production due to concern for Adam West's health (I think) so this might explain the rumour of the original plan to have a larger screen for GB, thus a need for an enhanced Spike system. I hope that is somewhat accurate but ultimately I only care that GB is really a Spike2 system. I have only two other Spike2 pins; BM66 and EHOH.

#11681 1 year ago

We definitely need some options for board repair and/or replacement, where necessary.

It does appear that with the last software version on the SD that GB can use some (maybe all (?)) direct Spike2 node boards. Unless, the node boards are not Spike1 / Spike2 specific, but the compatibility seems to have been proven, at least with one of the member's node boards.

#11706 1 year ago

Hopefully some 3rd party will eventually make a replacement board set. Maybe FAST or someone similar. Open source it and the community will get behind it and recode so not even Stern's code will be used.

This is promising for older pins; https://fastpinball.com/retro/

#11712 1 year ago

ColorDMD, agreed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 103.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dnaman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-club-we-got-one?tu=dnaman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.