IMG_1693 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1695 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1699 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1697 (resized).png
IMG_1698 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5065 (resized).jpg
20231210_122734 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 12,419 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 249.
#1351 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Mylar doesnt help with the wood pushing down away from the clear. The ball ejects so hard into the lane the wood dents in really qickly and the clear can only bend so far until it separates from the wood.

My shooter lane experienced exactly what is in that picture after like 100 games. Put Mylar over it and it hasn't gotten any worse over 2k games later. To each their own, but Mylar does the job nicely. Just giving another option.

#1352 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My shooter lane experienced exactly what is in that picture after like 100 games. Put Mylar over it and it hasn't gotten any worse over 2k games later. To each their own, but Mylar does the job nicely. Just giving another option.

Wonder whats happening under the mylar, it could be hiding the damage? As the wood dents more and more the clear can only bend so much. Are you talking about a GB or GOT?

#1353 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Wonder whats happening under the mylar? As the wood dents more and more the clear can only bend so much. Are you talking about a GB or GOT?

GOT. I assume the clear is the same as mine has ghosting issues too. Haha. I've talked to a handful of others that do Mylar only and they don't have any shooter lane damage whatsoever on their spike games either.

#1354 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

GOT. I assume the clear is the same as mine has ghosting issues too. Haha. I've talked to a handful of others that do Mylar only and they don't have any shooter lane damage whatsoever on their spike games either.

Ive seen some bad GOT lanes also. I put mylar and cliffys in my lane for double protection. For $10 cliffy and $1 worth of mylar its a no-brainer. Just figured id say something since ive seen 4 ghostbusters with lane damage now and 3 GOTs in past month.

#1355 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Mylar doesnt help with the wood pushing down away from the clear. The ball ejects so hard into the lane the wood dents in really qickly and the clear can only bend so far until it separates from the wood.

Why can't Stern design a soft eject mech?

#1356 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Why can't Stern design a soft eject mech?

I asked the same question to Chaz at Stern, he acts like its not a issue. They will gladly send you a clear coat repair kit though. Ive considered finding a weaker coil for it myself. My WOZ and LOTR eject less then half the power the GB does.

#1357 7 years ago

It's not pretty but a thin piece of self adhesive felt you can get at Hobby Lobby works great for the shooter lane eject area

Provides some cushion as opposed to Mylar

#1358 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Every ghostbusters owner better buy a right side cliffy protector. You can see in this picture a little white spot that is where the wood pushed down away from the clear coat. Its on its way to getting bad.
http://www.passionforpinball.com/balleject/RtEject1.JPG

can you post of photo of one installed? I can't visualize where it goes. Thanks

#1359 7 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

can you post of photo of one installed? I can't visualize where it goes. Thanks

The clear plastic protector is still on the cliffy in pic, this was to see if the one Cliff sent would fit.
20160731_144256_(resized).jpg20160731_144256_(resized).jpg

#1360 7 years ago

My only thought with Cliff's shooter lane setups is then you have the balls hitting hard against the sharp edges of the metal protectors... and with multiballs, etc it's throwing the balls against it quite a bit. In fact the long piece that is on the bubble side seems like it will skid along the edge of every ball as it is launched. I just wonder if that will scratch up the balls prematurely and then they scuff up the rest of the PF?

Probably not an issue as he's been selling them for years and never read a complaint... you could also replace the balls earlier (if you regularly inspect them).

I gotta say I've never seen shooter lanes get so quickly damaged as these newest Stern's. I have 20 year old WMS titles with no protection and far less obvious wear - some with almost zero wear . It's either the clear or a vastly overpowered coil (or both). I'd eventually try swapping the coil for further piece of mind.

#1361 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

In fact the long piece that is on the bubble side seems like it will skid along the edge of every ball as it is launched. I just wonder if that will scratch up the balls prematurely and then they scuff up the rest of the PF?

The hardness of a pinball is greater than the hardness of a Cliffy protector.

#1362 7 years ago

Crap, one more thing to order. Does pinball life carry the shooter lane protectors?

#1363 7 years ago

Cliff is working on one for GB. GB apparently needs a slightly different shape than the other shooter lane protectors he already has...

#1364 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Please please please. Stop the useless debate about the ladder vs random. I like ladder because it slowly gets harder. It's the way the game is written. I don't like the random aspect because ther makes no sense as to what's going on. Some newer sterns I have had the discussion. How did you do that? Don't know just kept hitting the ball that way.
So please if you don't like the game don't buy it. If you want to play and see I'm sure you'll get your money back if went for sale quickly. Just don't be one of those people with under 300 plays and huo for sale "didn't like the game". That's like drivin around the block and selling your car.
As an example of non issues. I don't hear any more bitching about magna slings or need for carrot flippers. If you think it drains a lot play space invaders.

And you were saying. Look in the dictionary for the definition of 'drain monster' and you will see this photo.....lol

WIN_20160801_214548_(resized).JPGWIN_20160801_214548_(resized).JPG

#1365 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

And you were saying. Look in the dictionary for the definition of 'drain monster' and you will see this photo.....lol

Love it, well done sir! I take it the bathroom is right next door?

#1366 7 years ago

I just found it funny that out of all my games, these two are side by side on their own and the others are on a line on the opposite wall. Go figure.

#1367 7 years ago

Quick question for GB owners. Does the extra ball need to be added to the book stack to stop from bending wire or is it the other captive ball?

Thanks

#1368 7 years ago

Joined the club. Picked up a GB Pro with pink armor yesterday. Great game!

#1369 7 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Cliff is working on one for GB. GB apparently needs a slightly different shape than the other shooter lane protectors he already has...

Do these ones (#1, #2) PBL sells work, not work, or are they for something different?

#1370 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveMan:

Do these ones (#1, #2) PBL sells work, not work, or are they for something different?

Good question. They are both listed as supporting GB. This thread is the first I've heard of GB having a different sized shooter lane. It's possible, I suppose, because of the double-dual inlanes.

#1371 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I just found it funny that out of all my games, these two are side by side on their own and the others are on a line on the opposite wall. Go figure.

While waiting in fixing up a SI. Kinda wanted one for a while. But man some games and drain like mad. And then ou hit it right and roll the score. Kinda reminded me of playing the pro GB.

#1372 7 years ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

Quick question for GB owners. Does the extra ball need to be added to the book stack to stop from bending wire or is it the other captive ball?
Thanks

Yes the book stack captive ball.
Next to the ghost target.

#1373 7 years ago

Finally, LE number 176 arrived today. So far, very impressed. Seems a great, fun game.

7_(resized).JPG7_(resized).JPG
5_(resized).JPG5_(resized).JPG
1_(resized).JPG1_(resized).JPG

#1374 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Joined the club. Picked up a GB Pro with pink armor yesterday. Great game!

Oh you got that one. Nice.

#1375 7 years ago
Quoted from Silver:

Finally, LE number 176 arrived today. So far, very impressed. Seems a great, fun game.

Great, now do us a favor and turn the shaker off and leave it off for a month and see if insert ghosting happens. We have been talking that that may be one of the causes. Thanks.

#1376 7 years ago

I'm doubting it's the shaker. That's a softer rumple compared to the sharp smacking of the coils hitting their stops. Whatever it takes to keep it from happening though. Dates on good and bad playfields is important too, but that's for a different thread.

#1377 7 years ago

I will say that I had ghosting on my GOT before I got a shaker.

#1378 7 years ago

I finally broke the billion mark yesterday. It was pretty chaotic, but I think a lot of points came from loopin supers and PKE frenzy. The PKE frenzy was running during multiball.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1379 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Great, now do us a favor and turn the shaker off and leave it off for a month and see if insert ghosting happens. We have been talking that that may be one of the causes. Thanks.

Mine will be delivered Friday, this is what I plan to do

#1380 7 years ago

It's not the shaker, but it can't hurt to test. GoT pros, MET pros, SMVEs, and pretty much everything coming out has the issue, regardless of shaker or not. But maybe a shaker speeds up the process. People testing against it might help us find out. My LE held up for over 3 weeks with constant shaker use before it started to ghost, however.

#1381 7 years ago

I've had my shaker on and had the game three weeks and (knock on wood) I haven't had any ghosting yet

#1382 7 years ago

Looks like I may be leaving the club as fast as I joined it. I sold my STTNG to buy a GB Pro because my wife and kids never played it. They all loved the theme and were excited for GB. The wife told me last night that she absolutely hates the game because of the flipper gap, how much the ball jumps all over, and a the way the modes work. While I love the game myself, her concerns are valid and some of those issues aren't going to change.

#1383 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

Looks like I may be leaving the club as fast as I joined it. I sold my STTNG to buy a GB Pro because my wife and kids never played it. They all loved the theme and were excited for GB. The wife told me last night that she absolutely hates the game because of the flipper gap, how much the ball jumps all over, and a the way the modes work. While I love the game myself, her concerns are valid and some of those issues aren't going to change.

Bummer but you have to listen to others who play it.

#1384 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

Carrot flippers, air ball deflector over the left ramp & wait for the next code update.. Just a thought if you like the game.

#1385 7 years ago

So exactly one week into owning my LE and it has been playing fine. Tonight I go to turn it on and all that happens is the display says Stern Pinball and nothing happens. There are a couple of red lights on inside the cabinet when I open the coin door but beyond that zippo. Anyone have thoughts on how to troubleshoot this or should I just get the local dealer to come out and repair it for me under warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

#1386 7 years ago
Quoted from sdup4fun:

So exactly one week into owning my LE and it has been playing fine. Tonight I go to turn it on and all that happens is the display says Stern Pinball and nothing happens. There are a couple of red lights on inside the cabinet when I open the coin door but beyond that zippo. Anyone have thoughts on how to troubleshoot this or should I just get the local dealer to come out and repair it for me under warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

Call the local dealer, when he comes out have him explain what's wrong. It's under warranty.

#1387 7 years ago

From another thread, the most recent LE's (born on July 29th) have a fix installed for the captive ball wire bending issue... Just trying to spread a little positive news, Stern is slow to react but they are listening.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#1388 7 years ago

I wonder if there's any way to get that part for those of us who didn't get one. I have an extra ball in there but this seems like a better solution.

#1389 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

From another thread, the most recent LE's (born on July 29th) have a fix installed for the captive ball wire bending issue... Just trying to spread a little positive news, Stern is slow to react but they are listening.

That's a pretty fugly fix...

#1390 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I think it will be fine. That pic is pretty "up close". Probably looks normal from playing distance.

#1391 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I agree it looks ugly. Seems like it has a full bottom section and covers a lot of pf art. Restricts light from the GI led too. Guess a thicker wire is too difficult or would require reaming pf holes.

#1392 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I agree it looks ugly. Seems like it has a full bottom section and covers a lot of pf art. Restricts light from the GI led too. Guess a thicker wire is too difficult or would require reaming pf holes.

Can't please everyone I guess
I have an LE coming and will gladly take this fix!

#1393 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

If they never played STTNG, why don't they just not play GB? Seems like an even swap on their end...

#1394 7 years ago

Glad to see a fix at least they listen to some degree.

#1395 7 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I wonder if there's any way to get that part for those of us who didn't get one. I have an extra ball in there but this seems like a better solution.

For those who need the bending wire fix, PBL has them in stock:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4378

#1396 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Carrot flippers, air ball deflector over the left ramp & wait for the next code update.. Just a thought if you like the game.

I may try them out. I also have the PBL kit that has the center post. I installed just the side rail covers to stop the ball jumping the rails, but maybe I should give the center post a shot. All your ideas are good and I might try them, but honestly I am pretty easy to buy games for. I love pinball in general and i'll play anything I buy. If they really don't like it and wont play it then i'll find something they will.

We are going to a yearly party at another collector's house this weekend so she will get a chance to play a bunch of new pins including a TWD and a GB LE. Maybe she will find something new she likes or maybe something will click and she will start liking GB. We'll see.

#1397 7 years ago

I like how quick people jump about how ugly things are. Look at the 90s Williams's amdDE games. Wire and crap everywhere. Go is pretty we'll tucked in and hidden. My only wish list for this is a decal over the black cover by the captive ball. Looks unfinished.

#1398 7 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I may try them out. I also have the PBL kit that has the center post. I installed just the side rail covers to stop the ball jumping the rails, but maybe I should give the center post a shot. All your ideas are good and I might try them, but honestly I am pretty easy to buy games for. I love pinball in general and i'll play anything I buy. If they really don't like it and wont play it then i'll find something they will.
We are going to a yearly party at another collector's house this weekend so she will get a chance to play a bunch of new pins including a TWD and a GB LE. Maybe she will find something new she likes or maybe something will click and she will start liking GB. We'll see.

My wife went from hating GB because of the stupid flipper gap to loving it when I added the PBL center post kit. I even left the Outlanes at factory. The post saves just enough of those cheap SDTM's to make the game much more enjoyable. Still suck at it and ball times are very short, but awesome feeling when an unsavable cheap SDTM bounces out

#1399 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My wife went from hating GB because of the stupid flipper gap to loving it when I added the PBL center post kit. I even left the Outlanes at factory. The post saves just enough of those cheap SDTM's to make the game much more enjoyable. Still suck at it and ball times are very short, but awesome feeling when an unsavable cheap SDTM bounces out

My opinion on this might be changing. I played a le with the kit. It only saved one ball out of two games. So not completely changing the odds. And I was a cheap sdtm drain it saved. Most flipper mistakes are not saved by it.

#1400 7 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

It only saved one ball out of two games. So not completely changing the odds.

I'm all for it making families happy, but at the end of the day it's still a center post. I've said it before center posts smoke your ass as much as they help you.
I haven't played this particular one though; just speaking in general.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
There are 12,419 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 249.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-club-we-got-one/page/28?hl=silver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.