IMG_0836 (resized).JPG
16598691169766170159496109417876 (resized).jpg
626DD5C7-AD4B-466F-8F4A-866009CF6D57 (resized).jpeg
EB129619-43CD-4957-9EC6-959226A9A922 (resized).jpeg
20220804_195702 (resized).jpg
20220804_195652 (resized).jpg
20220804_133543 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,949 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 219.
#10501 6 months ago

Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Mod Write Up
(hallmark ornament)

After you carefully dismantle the car by removing the 2 black screws in both ends you’ll noticed many wires

The 2 green wires are the speakers since we’re going for just lights, no sounds are required from the car ( un needed / cut )

Now locate inside, look at the roof of the car the tiny circuit board (BE VERY CAREFUL HANDLING)
The wires are super frail and easily torn
Unscrew the tiny silver screw mounting the board to the roof for now
- locate the black switch, you will notice that there are 4 legs of the switch solder the red and black wire to each side of the switch (see pic) and reinstall board with silver screw
- Locate the - and + terminals in the battery compartment. You will see red and black wires from inside the car so use those for your guide to proper polarity. Solder the Red & Black wires to the battery compartment.

Drilling holes

1/8 hole through the cars battery compartment Top to allow 2 wires to go to the switch

5/32 hole through the battery cover on bottom of car to allow all 4 wires (2 for power / 2 for switch)

I used a 5VDC power supply with a quick connect - as tapping into the game caused NODE tech alerts requiring a reset

Also a quick connect for the switch function
I purposely inverted the 2 connectors so you can accidentally connect the power into the switch

At this point I used ‘matrix’ extension wires with the alligator clips to attach to a playfield switch

C32BD2E4-7C5D-4481-B634-8F7FC9709A0C (resized).jpeg
E2BC69F9-B295-45A3-A832-A51A50C4EB9F (resized).jpegDE5B1811-4816-4418-8447-F8B8BEAC884F (resized).jpeg1A764238-2EE2-4182-A1D9-BF13F7DEA62F (resized).jpeg0ABC5558-8A0C-46D2-9461-73759DCD9570 (resized).jpegC96B1BAD-3C69-4397-B610-3C8521B290B5 (resized).jpeg

Added 6 months ago:

REVSISED

I Used a quick connect for the switch function
I purposely inverted the 2 connectors so you ‘cannot’ accidentally connect the power into the switch

#10502 6 months ago

I think I missed something. Who makes that version of the car?

#10503 6 months ago
Quoted from Nds777:

I think I missed something. Who makes that version of the car?

Hallmark 2019 ornament.

#10504 6 months ago
Quoted from billsgto:

Lately I notice that the flippers momentarily die, even during early gameplay, so I don't think the coils are overheated or anything like that.
Has anyone else had this issue found a remedy?
Thanks

I thought that was flipper behavior during one particular mode/scene. I have had it happen twice and if it is a feature it makes no sense.

#10505 6 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

we all don't really know, I did a have a brief conversation with Trudeau on year of release but was very secret about level of implementation but it was going to be expensive so canned on all 3 models - just surprising that all the playfield still kept the holes.

Quoted from swinks:

just surprising that all the playfield still kept the holes.

I'm guessing the designers pushed hard on getting production rolling as soon as they had the idea, and quickly designed and cut the play field, all the while hoping they could sell management on the idea. Mgmt. said "no" , but the play fields were already cut and inked. It's just a guess.

#10506 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm guessing the designers pushed hard on getting production rolling as soon as they had the idea, and quickly designed and cut the play field, all the while hoping they could sell management on the idea. Mgmt. said "no" , but the play fields were already cut and inked. It's just a guess.

probably the case

#10507 6 months ago

I’m working on installing the Light up Ecto-1 and wondered .. after seeing it scroll on the display

What is the Gozer Champion ??
That the final mode ?

6D5DFA84-B4DD-43BA-97C5-A9187652770B (resized).jpeg
#10508 6 months ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I’m working on installing the Light up Ecto-1 and wondered .. after seeing it scroll on the display
What is the Gozer Champion ??
That the final mode ?
[quoted image]

I believe it’s the Gozer mode/scene champ (points scored only in that mode in one game).

#10509 6 months ago

Has anyone beat "Are You a God?"

What happens after that?

#10510 6 months ago

"It's Miller time!"

#10511 6 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

"It's Miller time!"

Lol. Genius!

#10512 6 months ago

Mikey likes Ghostbusters!

#10513 6 months ago

Okay more on the Ecto-1 light up mod

See video below

#10514 6 months ago

See video below

I like this!

#10515 6 months ago

Finally got around to installing the art blades from tilt.

0A8F256D-5219-4771-AA24-76DC7F396BA8 (resized).jpeg883AB7DC-CEDF-43E4-8A17-B34F44024C35 (resized).jpeg
#10516 6 months ago

Thank you Sir !!

The final video will feature a truly amazing Firehouse as well to replace the flat plastic

#10517 6 months ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I think you will find that Ghostbusters was meant to have been the first Stern pinball machine to have had the Video Screen!
But Stern and others were not 100% sure it was ready for release without more testing, so they went with the DMD for GB.

I heard it was too! Heard Gary didn't want to wait for the video stuff to be done and rushed it out. They should have held up and made it with a Video Screen. Could you imagine this game with videos from the movies. If it had that It would be a top 10 for sure. Luv this game, but it kicks my butt!

#10518 6 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

[quoted image][quoted image]

they look great. tip: you can easily install blades without removing the pf by using clamps with the same results.

#10519 6 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

they look great. tip: you can easily install blades without removing the pf by using clamps with the same results.

I tried but had no luck. When sliding it down it started to stick and gave me issues. It was just 3 connections to unplug the playfield and lift it out so I did it that way.

#10520 6 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I tried but had no luck. When sliding it down it started to stick and gave me issues. It was just 3 connections to unplug the playfield and lift it out so I did it that way.

When I did my EHoH I also found it much easier to just undo the couple cables and the Cat5 and pull it out quick

I feared the field either falling in me or the art got clipped and stuck then ruined

Mirror Blades are easier enough to do with field installed

I use masking tape to hold the blades in place then screw them in

#10521 6 months ago

See video below

I didn’t realize there was a power cord to these ornaments. (Hallmark right?) I was wondering if it could be tapped into an insert bulb for power for it to draw power. So are the matrix wires tied to the on/off switch? Did you have to pry apart the ornament to do it?

…. Answering myself on this one … I needed to scroll up further … ‍♂️

#10522 6 months ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I didn’t realize there was a power cord to these ornaments. (Hallmark right?) I was wondering if it could be tapped into an insert bulb for power for it to draw power. So are the matrix wires tied to the on/off switch? Did you have to pry apart the ornament to do it?
…. Answering myself on this one … I needed to scroll up further … ‍♂️

No problem at all

Any questions I’d be happy to assist

#10523 6 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

you were just doing slightly wrong, you position the blades with the backing on, and once it is perfect, you then and only then pull the backing off as the clamps hold it perfectly in place where you want them. It is a 10 min job and looks perfect...
Removing the PF also works but still you do not need to remove the backing at all while you position these properly.

I will do a video next time I do it. People tend to over complicate this job for absolutely no reason, lol .

anyway looks great.

#10524 6 months ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I heard it was too! Heard Gary didn't want to wait for the video stuff to be done and rushed it out. They should have held up and made it with a Video Screen. Could you imagine this game with videos from the movies. If it had that It would be a top 10 for sure. Luv this game, but it kicks my butt!

Thank God they got the LCD ready for Aerosmith! Yes, GB would have been epic with videos from the movie, and that was a mistake, but who can forget the Scooby-Doo-style animations of the band playing on AS! Stern showed the true potential of the video technology on that one. Jk. I owned an AS and it’s definitely one of the pins Stern released in the 2010s. Dude Looks Like a Lady! Love the artwork tho.

#10525 6 months ago

Call me crazy but I prefer the dots. ColorDMD with DOTSXL. I feel like dots forces more creativity. The LCD and just clips of existing content is lazy and boring. So IMO thank god Ghostbusters came out before the LCD was ready!

#10526 6 months ago

Yes! The DMD dots are much better than a Tv screen. I mean, look at The Munsters: It‘s like watching cartoons and playing a ball during commercials. Not fun.

This being said - DMD on Gb needs to be in color! THAT really makes a difference while maintaining the original feel.

#10527 6 months ago

ColorDMD may be the BEST “mod” for this game…other than any solution implemented for the airballs next to the left ramp Really brings all the dot animations to life. Blew my mind seeing that they are a lot more detailed in color vs the default red.

#10528 6 months ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

ColorDMD may be the BEST “mod” for this game…other than any solution implemented for the airballs next to the left ramp Really brings all the dot animations to life. Blew my mind seeing that they are a lot more detailed in color vs the default red.

one day I would like to get the colorDMD - alot of things can't be sent to Aus at the moment - so waiting

in regards to the airballs - it is about understanding why the airballs happen - here is my approach which greatly reduces them
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GRBNG4DQK/stern-target-bracket-5deg2mm?optionId=63971960&li=marketplace

#10529 6 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

in regards to the airballs - it is about understanding why the airballs happen - here is my approach which greatly reduces them
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GRBNG4DQK/stern-target-bracket-5deg2mm?optionId=63971960&li=marketplace

I ordered these but man oh man I still get airballs and it sucks when it comes back and flies into the outlane when you’re putting up a decent score and run on the modes!

I didn’t want to have to add a plastic, but im going to need to in addition to those brackets. Who do you guys think has the best looking minimilist plastic to trap those airballs and slam them back to the playfield?!?!

#10530 6 months ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

I ordered these but man oh man I still get airballs and it sucks when it comes back and flies into the outlane when you’re putting up a decent score and run on the modes!
I didn’t want to have to add a plastic, but im going to need to in addition to those brackets. Who do you guys think has the best looking minimilist plastic to trap those airballs and slam them back to the playfield?!?!

UPDATE:
-10 sets left - let me know.

Ok Pinsiders,
I am going all out and marking these down to clearance them out. They will NO longer be for sale after this - don’t ask! (Retiring them after 14 runs). They are made from Pet-g plastic nearly indestructible.
(Normally 1 protector for $20, both for $30 plus shipping).

CLEARANCE price until gone: $7 for 1, $10 for both protectors plus shipping.

Mod - For Sale
New “One for $20 (both for $30). Made from nearly unbreakable PET-G plastic. 1. Airball protector, Left ramp - see below. 2. Right Orbit protector - see below. (see instructions bel...”
40 days ago
Saukville, WI

#10531 6 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Always love blades - keeps the vibe going all the way to the glass. Especially these- they are simple but perfect continuation of city and the lighting pops nicely

#10532 6 months ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I used to curse and freak out installing blades. I ruined several. Someone on pinside suggested this- 7$ and now it is super easy and stress free.
amazon.com link »

#10533 6 months ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

I used to curse and freak out installing blades. I ruined several. Someone on pinside suggested this- 7$ and now it is super easy and stress free.
amazon.com link »

You just squirt this solvent on the adhesive side and then position them? The solvent just dries and doesn’t harm the blades? This would be great. I use the 2-person method and while we are good at installing them, it’s still tricky.

#10534 6 months ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

Who do you guys think has the best looking minimilist plastic to trap those airballs and slam them back to the playfield?!?!

The 2 plastic set from cpr9999 for $10 is a great deal, and includes the protector over the left ramp targets and at the back of the shooter lane. I would also add the inlane plastics that prevent inlane guide hops. I seldom get any airballs except when hitting the Scoleri bros, which is just part of the risk!

#10535 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

The 2 plastic set from cpr9999 for $10 is a great deal, and includes the protector over the left ramp targets and at the back of the shooter lane. I would also add the inlane plastics that prevent inlane guide hops. I seldom get any airballs except when hitting the Scoleri bros, which is just part of the risk!

I know it is personal choice, but which inlane color protectors do people like, I've been debating fluorescent green vs. pink?? Leaning a bit towards pink due to playfield colors.

#10536 6 months ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

I know it is personal choice, but which inlane color protectors do people like, I've been debating fluorescent green vs. pink?? Leaning a bit towards pink due to playfield colors.

Yeah, whichever you like better is the way to go. Lots of great ways to mod GB. I would have to look at mine, but I think mine are either clear or very faint blue. I bought them in 2017 just after I opened mine and realized it needed some tweaks and patience to iron out all the bugs. Plus I needed a new node board for mine before I put a single game on mine, but it all worked out and it motivated me to lift the playfield and work on things myself. I’m really glad I never gave up on ‘ol Slimer.

#10537 6 months ago

Thank you Sir !!
The final video will feature a truly amazing Firehouse as well to replace the flat plastic

Quoted from Zeusflurry:

Go green or go home

#10538 6 months ago

Noooo!!! Pink it is!!!

#10539 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

You just squirt this solvent on the adhesive side and then position them? The solvent just dries and doesn’t harm the blades? This would be great. I use the 2-person method and while we are good at installing them, it’s still tricky.

Yep RapidTac goes on the adhesive side and on the cabinet if you want. It gives you flexibility installing the blades and dries like it was never there.

#10540 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Exactly. When the solvent is on it still adheres but can still move around. Like if you dipped a piece of paper in water then stuck in on wall. Or maybe think about ever have a beer/soda that was in an ice bucket on hot day sometimes label comes off or can slide around. Kinda like that. Then yeh it just air dries and stays in place because stickiness comes back once solvent disappears.

#10541 6 months ago

I can see how a chem like that is useful for a big decal on a surface that needs to be squeegeed out, but a blade can be easyl installed with 2 clamps, you position it and then peel it off. 10 min job.
1 perso job and super easy

#10542 6 months ago

i sold mine a couple years ago, forgot I had this shooter.
It will be on eBay soon if anybody is interested in changing up their shooter.

IMG_8581 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2022-02-06 at 3.35.25 PM (resized).png
#10543 6 months ago

Still looking for Proton Trim

Thanks

#10544 6 months ago

How do I turn down, or turn off, the sound....

for that screaming skeleton in the DMD? I need earplugs when that skeleton screams. And I don't have my sound turned up hardly at all. It is the only thing I do not like about GB.

Thanks

#10545 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

for that screaming skeleton in the DMD? I need earplugs when that skeleton screams. And I don't have my sound turned up hardly at all. It is the only thing I do not like about GB.
Thanks

Its just a scare feature, you turn that off on the menu

#10546 6 months ago

I am still looking for a Stern original shooter rod

#10547 6 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks

I love it. Why turn it off?

#10548 6 months ago

I just tweaked my Containment Mod for GB Pro machines which re-uses the 2 x stern led boards and lens. But the mod is totally reversible with no damage to your game.

It does have the option to add a Comet Pinball standup post led pcbwithin the cabinet to shine down on the opened door to add some mood lighting or flash at a certain time.

I am just getting quotes for the parts to be professionally printed, so if anyone is interested just send me a pm.

Containment Mod (resized).png
#10549 6 months ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am still looking for a Stern original shooter rod

Just a plain black shooter rod and faceplate?

#10550 6 months ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Just a plain black shooter rod and faceplate?

I believe he means the marshmallow shooting rod which there is a high probability he won't ever find it. They didn't make many and the ones that were made were usually installed on machines already.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 23.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 36.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
There are 10,949 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 219.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!