• Yes, my GB has a center post 26 votes
    35%
  • No center post on my GB 49 votes
    65%

(75 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5B11DE38-6998-4F4B-8326-752DDAE39931 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Does GB have a wider flipper gap than most pins?

Yes, just one of the poor design decisions that make it horribly unplayable. If it’s not too late, stay far away from this terrible game!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

By mistake? I thought it was just a Trudeau thing since many of his games feature the large gap

It’s larger than his normal large gap, and it was a mistake that was made on the CAD. By the time they realized the mistake, the game was already in production & it was too late.

Also, keep in mind the context of a wide flipper gap - it’s to keep a simple rule game from being too easy and repetitive. It made sense for games like CFTBL & Congo. For a deeper game with modern rules, not to mention other design flaws like airballs, inlane/outlane hops, and unfair STDMs from rattles, the scoop, and magna slings - an extra wide gap is just one of many terrible design decisions for this particular type of modern game.

Play better does not apply on a game that cheats by flinging the ball over the flippers or from inlane to outlane. Skill is irrelevant on a poor design.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from JMcDonald:

WTH are you talking about? All of these things are minor tweaks to a game and not design flaws. And in regards to the inlane hops in particular, didn't Stern raise the height of those rails slightly after the very first Pro run? I see absolutely NONE of these minor issues on my LE. NONE. So I guess my game was not built as designed?

With our two avatars, I can’t help but read our posts in Ren & Stimpy’s voices.

1 week later
#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Personally, I don't *need* a middle post, nor do I really *need* one on BSD, or Crescendo, or...*any other game with a fat gap*. I like the challenge of playing with it as-is.

Design & rule/code must work in tandem. BSD is a game with simpler rules, so a wider gap for shorter ball times on a game like that makes sense. On a linear mode based game like GB, short ball times ruin the experience, leading to “Who Brought The Dog: The Game”

BSD is challenging due to excellent design & a ruleset that gels completely. GB isn’t a challenge. It has cheap drains from poor design...player skill has zero to do with how well or poor you do. My pinball skills won’t stop the blue & pop up targets from launching the ball ofer the flippers. They won’t stop the inlane from bouncing into the outlane. They won’t stop the scoop from shooting STDM. They won’t stop magna slings from dead dropping down the middle. They won’t stop the pops exit from dropping down the middle. All poor design that negates skill & true challenge.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If you say so. Come to Dallas, and we'll see how much a difference skill makes on GB. =Þ

Not coming to Dallas to play a game I’ve vowed to never touch again. I’ve played enough different GBs to know it’s a poorly designed and skill-free alleged “game”.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I doubt Stern cares what anyone's opinion is on GB at this point, and I've seen otherwise, so my mind is set.

They don’t care. It sold great & does well on route. So did South Park. Sterns concern is money. Mine is a good game. That’s why I find this game and people’s defense of it so fascinating...Pre-2016, even though we had different tastes and opinions, pinball people generally could agree on what types of design & gameplay issues were acceptable & unacceptable. Remember how Avengers got destroyed? One could argue that once you “make the shots” & “play better” on that game, it’s OK. Hell, I owned one, but it’s design flaws were absolutely obvious & I could be honest about them.

Quoted from Frax:

The unfairness of the game has NOTHING to do with the flipper gap, and everything to do with the ball flying over the guides/flippers off of things. We can both at least agree that part is crap.

Yeah, it’s just bizarre. Every game ever has had targets & outlanes. Why does THIS game launch everything into the air?

The gap is an issue though due to the other areas of poor design. Maybe you didn’t experience it on your machines, but I can’t tell you how many times the library scoop shot the ball straight down the middle on multiple machines. The ball came out of the left pops exit & went straight down so many times. Magna slings stopped the ball dead center and dropped it down. The left to right orbit often rattled and went down the middle. Many of those center drains might have been avoidable with a normal gap.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-center-post-?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.