• Yes, my GB has a center post 26 votes
    35%
  • No center post on my GB 49 votes
    65%

(75 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5B11DE38-6998-4F4B-8326-752DDAE39931 (resized).jpeg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I’m getting a Ghostbusters. What’s the deal with the center post? How many guys have added it and what are your thoughts on it?

#2 4 years ago

I don't like it I wouldn't add it just play better

#3 4 years ago

Does GB have a wider flipper gap than most pins?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Correct yes it does.

#5 4 years ago

I love it, it adds an uncertainty to the play, do you let the ball go and bounce back into play or flip and guarantee a drain, if the ball comes at a perpendicular line it will bounce back into play but if it is coming at an angle it will possibly drain so in that case use the flippers to try and save it.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I’m getting a Ghostbusters. What’s the deal with the center post? How many guys have added it and what are your thoughts on it?

Kirk posts are there for a reason, it’s a game mechanic and it’s use reflects the skill of the player.
On WOZ you need nerves of steel for that sucker.
My Night Moves has one and in that game it is a major component since Trudeau loved having large flipper gaps, so to avoid constant SDTM the post is there.

All hail the Kirkpost!

Added over 3 years ago:

The game is either specifically designed to use a Kirkpost or it is meant to be played without one.

No in-between.

#7 4 years ago

I think the center post is a must have. The flipper gap in ghostbusters is wider than normal. It was documented that this was done by mistake during design/manufacturing. I would get it.

#8 4 years ago

carrots flippers makes GB playing like a "standard" pin, and i feel it just perfect as it

of course, why not try the center post ?

but not these 2 solutions at the same time...

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Yes, just one of the poor design decisions that make it horribly unplayable. If it’s not too late, stay far away from this terrible game!

#10 4 years ago

My game came with the center post mod. I thought it would make the game too easy but you don’t get many saves off of it. It’s not as reliable as the post on Meteor for example and it sits lower. I would recommend getting it and it’s removable if you don’t like it.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I think the center post is a must have. The flipper gap in ghostbusters is wider than normal. It was documented that this was done by mistake during design/manufacturing. I would get it.

By mistake? I thought it was just a Trudeau thing since many of his games feature the large gap

#12 4 years ago

#playbetter

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

I thought this was speculation and not actually documented? Where is this documented, for my own knowledge? Thanks

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

By mistake? I thought it was just a Trudeau thing since many of his games feature the large gap

It’s larger than his normal large gap, and it was a mistake that was made on the CAD. By the time they realized the mistake, the game was already in production & it was too late.

Also, keep in mind the context of a wide flipper gap - it’s to keep a simple rule game from being too easy and repetitive. It made sense for games like CFTBL & Congo. For a deeper game with modern rules, not to mention other design flaws like airballs, inlane/outlane hops, and unfair STDMs from rattles, the scoop, and magna slings - an extra wide gap is just one of many terrible design decisions for this particular type of modern game.

Play better does not apply on a game that cheats by flinging the ball over the flippers or from inlane to outlane. Skill is irrelevant on a poor design.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For a deeper game with modern rules, not to mention other design flaws like airballs, inlane/outlane hops, and unfair STDMs from rattles,

WTH are you talking about? All of these things are minor tweaks to a game and not design flaws. And in regards to the inlane hops in particular, didn't Stern raise the height of those rails slightly after the very first Pro run? I see absolutely NONE of these minor issues on my LE. NONE. So I guess my game was not built as designed?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Quoted from Tomass:

I thought this was speculation and not actually documented? Where is this documented, for my own knowledge? Thanks

I think I remember reading that during play testing, it was discovered that the ball drained too much down the middle, so they simply added the post instead of going back and readjusting the playfield layout, since that was the cheaper/faster option.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from JMcDonald:

WTH are you talking about? All of these things are minor tweaks to a game and not design flaws. And in regards to the inlane hops in particular, didn't Stern raise the height of those rails slightly after the very first Pro run? I see absolutely NONE of these minor issues on my LE. NONE. So I guess my game was not built as designed?

With our two avatars, I can’t help but read our posts in Ren & Stimpy’s voices.

#18 4 years ago

way before Trudeau was found out I had a brief facebook discussion with Trudeau and the gap is his traditional 7 1/8" flipper post to flipper post as all his dmd games are.

people keep saying it is documented but this has never been proven, Stern never admit to mistakes so I for one don't believe it is documented just like the spelling mistake, pooling playfields etc.

what makes the gap seem bigger is the initial 6 months the flippers were set lower so you couldn't cradle and the flippers were lifted a little after about the 6 month mark. Also the initial 6 months had the outlane guides too low so people were getting alot of lane hop

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

With our two avatars, I can’t help but read our posts in Ren & Stimpy’s voices.

Lol I wanted to say this earlier but the tension seemed a little high

#20 4 years ago

I don’t have the post, but geez, I’d really like to re position the flipper holes, just can’t bring myself to put the post in

#21 4 years ago

I kind of like the difficulty the gap presents.

I bought a GB recently to put on location. Took the post mod it came with and sold it to another pinsider.

#22 4 years ago

I had a Ghostbusters pro on route. It did okay the first few months then earnings dropped fast. After talking with some of the players, mostly casual, they all complained it was to expensive to play when the ball went down the middle all the time. I installed the center post and it made people enjoy the game. It's a fine line between challenging and frustrating.
Also, it is easily removed. If you want a challenge take it off for yourself. If you want it easier for people when they come over, pop it on.

#23 4 years ago

I see the center post for sale at Pinball Life. Is there another post mod that works better? I love this game but the center drain can be brutal. My carrot flippers arrive tomorrow.

#24 4 years ago

I have no issues with my GB Premium. I have an air ball protector on the left ramp and outlane covers. I don't feel like a center post is needed at all and I also wouldn't get carrot flippers as that will fuck with the geometry of the game.

A local arcade has one with carrot flippers and it feels like shooting bricks.

Maybe you need to just make sure your pin is level or maybe make some adjustments to your scoops.

#25 4 years ago

Kirk posts are there for a reason...

Quoted from ForceFlow:

... so they simply added the post instead of ...

You guys are acting like it's factory so I'm confused, did they add a center post to GB somewhere in the run?

#26 4 years ago

Does GB come pre drilled for a post or are you guys busting out the Milwaukees?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You guys are acting like it's factory so I'm confused, did they add a center post to GB somewhere in the run?

no, it was never added as factory item

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Does GB come pre drilled for a post or are you guys busting out the Milwaukees?

It hangs upside down from a plastic piece that attaches to the outlanes. Completely reversible in minutes.

#29 4 years ago

I've never actually played with it personally, but I have played with carrots and it is a tad more clunky.

#30 4 years ago

My Night Moves has one and in that game it is a major component since Trudeau loved having large flipper gaps, so to avoid constant SDTM the post is there.

Ugh. As a former Night Moves owner...the last thing that game EVER needed was a center post. The ball times are atrociously long without it.

*Edit* Having a center post be installed on a plastic overhang is HILARIOUSLY sad. Can I get one of those for BSD?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ugh. As a former Night Moves owner...the last thing that game EVER needed was a center post. The ball times are atrociously long without it.
*Edit* Having a center post be installed on a plastic overhang is HILARIOUSLY sad. Can I get one of those for BSD?

Works great for GB. Saves the sdtm balls, but not like it saves every ball. It's a perfect compromise imho.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Works great for GB. Saves the sdtm balls, but not like it saves every ball. It's a perfect compromise imho.

I agree. It allowed me to tighten up the tilt without completely screwing people with stdm drains.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think I remember reading that during play testing, it was discovered that the ball drained too much down the middle, so they simply added the post instead of going back and readjusting the playfield layout, since that was the cheaper/faster option.

I doubt you read that anywhere. A center post was never added by Stern.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Yeah, but you gotta admit that it's completely ludicrous that nobody thought of adding a post that way before!

Personally, I don't feel it's warranted, but I understand not everyone can (apparently) 'git gud' enough to enjoy Ghostbusters. Personally, I don't *need* a middle post, nor do I really *need* one on BSD, or Crescendo, or...*any other game with a fat gap*. I like the challenge of playing with it as-is. If you can't enjoy the game at home without the post....pfft...go for it. Just don't have me over to play in tournament or league with that thing installed, because I will make a bloody mockery of your scores with it.

#35 4 years ago

I happened to play a GBLE a week ago with the center post and absolutely hated it. You get used to the gap. It’s not as big a deal as a lot of people make it out to be IMO.

#36 4 years ago

I put on the carrot flippers and I think they work very well. It has not impacted my shots at all. I do not need them but I put them on because my wife and daughter are novice pinball players. They were struggling with the center drains. My family has longer playing games and their scores are much better.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Personally, I don't *need* a middle post, nor do I really *need* one on BSD, or Crescendo, or...*any other game with a fat gap*. I like the challenge of playing with it as-is.

Design & rule/code must work in tandem. BSD is a game with simpler rules, so a wider gap for shorter ball times on a game like that makes sense. On a linear mode based game like GB, short ball times ruin the experience, leading to “Who Brought The Dog: The Game”

BSD is challenging due to excellent design & a ruleset that gels completely. GB isn’t a challenge. It has cheap drains from poor design...player skill has zero to do with how well or poor you do. My pinball skills won’t stop the blue & pop up targets from launching the ball ofer the flippers. They won’t stop the inlane from bouncing into the outlane. They won’t stop the scoop from shooting STDM. They won’t stop magna slings from dead dropping down the middle. They won’t stop the pops exit from dropping down the middle. All poor design that negates skill & true challenge.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Design & rule/code must work in tandem. BSD is a game with simpler rules, so a wider gap for shorter ball times on a game like that makes sense. On a linear mode based game like GB, short ball times ruin the experience, leading to “Who Brought The Dog: The Game”

If you say so. Come to Dallas, and we'll see how much a difference skill makes on GB. =Þ

#39 4 years ago

Depends on the skill level of the player. My GB doesn't have a post and after owning it and playing it for a while you learn to accommodate for the bigger gap. Its a hard game and can be frustrating but I think that gives it staying power in the home, i dont want a game where I can kick its ass easily all the time, boring. The people that constantly dog it need to play it more and learn the nuances, or just plain up their skills and get better.

#40 4 years ago

The flipper gap for me was never the biggest issue. The hopping over rails and Flippers, and I mean all the time, was much more frustrating.

Quoted from swinks:

people keep saying it is documented but this has never been proven, Stern never admit to mistakes so I for one don't believe it is documented just like the spelling mistake, pooling playfield....

Then csn you please end the debate once and for all? 6ou have GB and creech, take the measurements please!

#41 4 years ago

Yeah, mine doesnt have the ball hop over the rails issue, maybe a later build. I used to always get massive rejects from the scoleri bros that would fly back over the flippers until I learned to just clip them or hit them softly, after all they are described as “combative” drop targets so I would expect them to fight back. I have more problems with the ball hopping the flippers on my Iron Maiden.

#42 4 years ago

Yeah mine was early build, allll the time, super annoying. From all over the place. I never never had any issues SDTM from pops either.
My Maiden got the standard amount of happing from super fast shots. Got more falling off the ramp return with speed to outsole on that one.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The flipper gap for me was never the biggest issue. The hopping over rails and Flippers, and I mean all the time, was much more frustrating.

Then csn you please end the debate once and for all? 6ou have GB and creech, take the measurements please!

I did explain and had to prove with photos a while back, YES both Creature and Ghostbusters have 7 1/8" centres between flipper posts - what contributes to the wide gap feel is the slightly droppie flippers on Ghostbusters

#44 4 years ago

Ah thanks. It was an urban legend so I couldn't remember which was fact or fiction.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Redfield0009:

I have no issues with my GB Premium. I have an air ball protector on the left ramp and outlane covers. I don't feel like a center post is needed at all and I also wouldn't get carrot flippers as that will fuck with the geometry of the game.

How many times are people going to keep passing on this false information?
Changing the length of the flipper does not change the geometry of the shot.
You are shooting the same shot at the same distance from the flipper shaft at the same angle . The only difference is now the flipper is longer.
Also the carrot flipper is the same thickness at all points in length as a standard flipper. The extra length is tapered smaller.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I don’t have the post, but geez, I’d really like to re position the flipper holes, just can’t bring myself to put the post in

Wait for the GB Vault edition...

#48 4 years ago

Stern may describe them as "combative"...but if anyone believes the intended function was for them to tomestone-style brick-launch shots to them....well...either Stern massively screwed up in their thinking or.....no, they just screwed up. You wouldn't want to 'lighthtly brush by' a 'combatant'...and yet, that's the easiest way to not get owned by the Scoleri targets.

Seriously though, in general, I wish more people would learn to shoot chicklet targets and drop targets off-center if they're dangerous. It's something I used for years, and told people (!) to do on AC/DC for Thunderstruck mode, and very few listened. Their loss. Literally. Almost never is shooting these things head on a great idea, unless they're along the outside wall of the playfield, or further up. Hell..I don't even shoot the trolls on Medieval Madness straight on anymore.

#49 4 years ago

I'm not here to argue. I'm just here to enjoy some good pinball. All that I can say is that I put on the carrot flippers and my children's scores are way higher than they were before the carrot flippers. Take it for what it's worth. The air ball over the side rail is a little annoying but it doesn't happen that often. I see a few mods out there to correct the issue.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

If you say so. Come to Dallas, and we'll see how much a difference skill makes on GB. =Þ

Not coming to Dallas to play a game I’ve vowed to never touch again. I’ve played enough different GBs to know it’s a poorly designed and skill-free alleged “game”.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-center-post-/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.